Marvel Films Discussion Thread

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Re: Marvel Films Discussion Thread

Postby azul017 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:45 pm

Steve T Power wrote:Aranofsky and Jackman together again is exciting enough (The Fountain resonated HUGE with me), but for Wolvie set in Japan?!

I just can't see how this could be anything but awesome.

I'm a bit iffy on Aronofsky doing a comic-book movie. But if Fox lets him have more creative control than, say, Gavin Hood or Brett Ratner, it can only be a good thing.

And speaking of comic book films, Walt Disney Pictures bought the distribution rights for The Avengers and Iron Man 3 (skedded for a May 3, 2013 release) from Paramount Pictures, but ePix will have pay TV rights for the former. Paramount will get reimbursed $115M for the films upon their release, even more depending on how well they do. Paramount will still have distribution rights to the first two Iron Man films, plus Thor and Captain America.

BURBANK, Calif. – October 18, 2010 – The Walt Disney Studios, Paramount Pictures and Marvel Studios announced they have reached an agreement under which Paramount will transfer its worldwide marketing and distribution rights to Disney for Marvel Studios’ The Avengers and Iron Man 3. Paramount will remain the worldwide distributor of the upcoming films, Thor and Captain America, as well as the previously released Iron Man and Iron Man 2.

Under terms of the new deal, Disney will pay Paramount $115 million for the transfer of the distribution rights to Iron Man 3 and The Avengers to be paid on the theatrical release dates. These monies will serve as a minimum guarantee against the distribution fees.

“In completing this agreement, Disney will now assume worldwide marketing and distribution of The Avengers and Iron Man 3 and leverage these two highly-anticipated films across the multiple global platforms of The Walt Disney Company,” said Rich Ross, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. “We appreciate the tremendous momentum that Paramount established with these iconic Marvel characters and look forward to propelling the brand even further in the coming years.”

“Five years ago, when Paramount and Marvel made our initial deal, both our businesses were in very different places,” said Brad Grey, Chairman & CEO of Paramount Pictures. “We are grateful for the partnership we have had with the terrific Marvel team over these years and proud of the work we have done together. Today, this new agreement is the right deal for Paramount, for Marvel and for Disney. We look forward to working together on Thor and Captain America, and we wish Disney and Marvel the utmost success, in what we know will be a very productive and wide-ranging partnership.”

"Paramount has been a wonderful partner in helping Marvel Studios bring our characters to the big screen," said Alan Fine, Office of the President, Marvel Worldwide, Inc. "This agreement makes sense now that Marvel is part of The Walt Disney Company."

Paramount will release Marvel Entertainment’s Thor and Captain America worldwide beginning on May 6 and July 22 of 2011, respectively. The Avengers will be licensed to Epix under Paramount’s existing pay television arrangement.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:52 am

1st photo of Chris Evan in Captain America costume here.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:19 am

HGervais wrote:1st photo of Chris Evan in Captain America costume here.

I dig the costume and the casting of Evans, but why does he look like Hitler just stole his lollipop?
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:36 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:

I dig the costume and the casting of Evans, but why does he look like Hitler just stole his lollipop?

Maybe he did Andrew, maybe he did.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

Maybe he did Andrew, maybe he did.

A day that will live in infamy!
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:52 pm

More EW pics from Captain America.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:03 am

HGervais wrote:More EW pics from Captain America.

Okay, that lab with the green tank thingy is just awesome retro design.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:58 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:
HGervais wrote:More EW pics from Captain America.

Okay, that lab with the green tank thingy is just awesome retro design.

I really like Cap's leather jacket get-up, too. Plus, the pictures imply that we may be in store for Rocketeer levels of visual awesomeness.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Jon Mercer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:33 am

Why can't I quit you Joe Johnson?
Jon Mercer
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Martin Sheen cast as Uncle Ben in the "Spider-Man" reboot (with Sally Field close to being onboard as Aunt May): http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/spidey-gets-martin-sheen/.
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:19 am

J.M. Vargas wrote:Martin Sheen cast as Uncle Ben in the "Spider-Man" reboot

The scene in which Uncle Ben gets drunk in his hotel room, does nude-fu, cuts his hand by punching a mirror, and then collapses onto the floor sobbing is gonna be awesome.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:28 am

J.M. Vargas wrote:ABC DEVELOPING LIVE-ACTION TV ADAPTATION OF "THE INCREDIBLE HULK": http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/abc-developing-incredible-hulk-series/.

UPDATE: GUILLERMO DEL TORO AND DAVID EICK ("BATTLESTAR GALACTICA") WILL DEVELOP THE SERIES FOR ABC WITH A FALL 2012 LAUNCH DATE (right after "The Avengers" movie comes out in July): http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/guillermo-del-toro-and-david-eick-to-create-new-hulk-television-series-for-abc/. :D
Details of the premise are sketchy but I hear that the series will follow an origin story... Unlike the two Hulk movies, in which the monster was a pure CGI creation, the series will employ a mixture of prosthetics, puppetry and CGI. Del Toro and Eick will break the story for the pilot script together, sharing story and created by credit. Eick will write the script, with del Toro attached to direct subject to his availability. Del Toro will also oversee the designing of the Hulk character, which is expected to draw on previous comic book incarnations, as well as the original 1978-82 Incredible Hulk TV series, with a few wild tweaks on the old look... "I have always been attracted at the combination of comic book heroics and monsters, Jack Kirby's Demon or Kamandi or DC's Deadman or Marvel's Dr. Strange, Morbius, Metamorpho, Mike Mignola's Hellboy, etc," Del Toro said. He said that The Hulk has been at the top of his list and he first pursued it as a feature film around the time of the 2002 release of Blade II, which he directed. Del Toro added that, with partner Eick "we coalesced a respectful but powerful way of retelling the Banner/Hulk story in a fresh way."
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Thor trailer is up and online. It's basically the same footage that was leaked last summer although there are some additional shots. Hopeful.
HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:46 pm

And McWeeney's first report from the set of Thor. Again, hopeful.
HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:46 pm

HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:59 pm

Who should direct Iron Man 3? Yes. Edgar Wright please.
HGervais
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:47 pm

HGervais wrote:Who should direct Iron Man 3? Yes. Edgar Wright please.

I don't see it.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:47 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:
HGervais wrote:Who should direct Iron Man 3? Yes. Edgar Wright please.

I don't see it.

McWeeney is pretty well plugged into Marvel Films. I'm willing to bet that is a fairly accurate list of the same names they are looking at. Can I see Wright directing Iron Man 3? Oh hell yes. Do I see it? I don't know. He is already working for them on Ant-Man, so there is a relationship that exists. Who knows?
HGervais
Judge

Postby erich » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:32 am

The vague possibility of Edgar Wright directing Iron Man 3 makes me suddenly care about Iron Man again.

I know this is a movie thread, but I've got to ask: Anyone else pick up the Marvel pinball tables on Xbox Live or the PlayStation network? 4 all-new tables for $10 (Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Blade) and they're awesome.
Candy Bar Drive Thru
Short and Sweet. Sketch Comedy Podcast.
erich
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:30 am

Based on Favreau's stated reasons for leaving the project, I think any established director who takes the job is a chump. I sincerely hope Wright stays away (there are far more interesting films he could make instead; he shouldn't do any kind of franchise picture unless he's given creative free reign). Marvel will never pony up the kind of bread necessary for a Peter Berg-style Iron Man flick. Frankly, the only guy on the list who makes much sense to me is Shane Black. He could easily match the tone of the previous movies, and he and Downey already have a working relationship. Plus, he's inexperienced enough as a director that putting up with the total lack of creative autonomy might be worth the opportunity at career advancement (presuming he wants to direct more).

Marvel needs to tread carefully. If it's accurate that Downey has final say over who directs the picture, he could easily use that power to release himself from a third installment altogether if he doesn't like what's happening with Iron Man or even the Avengers flick. If Downey were to leave, it's difficult to imagine the series surviving.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:48 am

Shane Black for sure: the man would be a perfect fit for the material.

I wouldn't be surprised if Joss Wheadon takes control however, assuming he and Downey get along and The Avengers turns out to be a good experience. I'd imagine he'd be happy to follow up on anything he sets up in his film, what better way than taking control of the main man of the Marvel Film Universe?
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:42 pm

I have a brilliant idea. Just let it go. I think there was enough uncomfortable wedging of Avengers 2 building blocks up Iron Man 2's arse as to suitably build up that uber-feature.

Let Thor and Captain America finish the job.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby azul017 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:20 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:If it's accurate that Downey has final say over who directs the picture, he could easily use that power to release himself from a third installment altogether if he doesn't like what's happening with Iron Man or even the Avengers flick. If Downey were to leave, it's difficult to imagine the series surviving.

From what I've heard, RDJ and Joss Whedon are getting along just fine. RDJ was all smiles during the Avengers announcement at Comic-Con with the entire cast. If he and Whedon are at odds with each other, they're keeping it under wraps really well.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:13 am

azul017 wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:If it's accurate that Downey has final say over who directs the picture, he could easily use that power to release himself from a third installment altogether if he doesn't like what's happening with Iron Man or even the Avengers flick. If Downey were to leave, it's difficult to imagine the series surviving.

From what I've heard, RDJ and Joss Whedon are getting along just fine. RDJ was all smiles during the Avengers announcement at Comic-Con with the entire cast. If he and Whedon are at odds with each other, they're keeping it under wraps really well.

RDJ is also an actor... a good one!
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Boba Fett » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:44 pm

Maybe Downey should just direct the movie himself.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:51 pm

First pic of Andrew Garfield wearing the Spidey attire.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:59 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:First pic of Andrew Garfield wearing the Spidey attire.

He looks like a Dragon Con attendee wearing his homemade Spawn suit.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
J.M. Vargas wrote:First pic of Andrew Garfield wearing the Spidey attire.

He looks like a Dragon Con attendee wearing his homemade Spawn suit.

I like my reboots like I like my coffee--dark and gritty.

Incidentally, I have awful taste.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:36 pm

Marvel Films two-fer today. First good look at Chris Evans in costume as Captain America.
HGervais
Judge

Postby azul017 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:10 pm

Bleh on the Andrew Garfield Spidey suit. Wow on the Chris Evans pic.
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:58 pm

Woah... I'm shocked and amazed that I think both actually look totally bitchin'.

Like Andrew, i have lousy taste.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby HGervais » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Another Cap photo. This time in movement. Looks like Cap on a Hydra U-Boat.
HGervais
Judge

Postby azul017 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:03 pm

Marvel and Paramount really need to get a trailer out for Captain America soon. Everything I'm hearing about it sounds very, very promising. I want some footage to pore over, dammit! 8)
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:03 pm

HGervais wrote:Another Cap photo. This time in movement. Looks like Cap on a Hydra U-Boat.

All indications so far are that this baby is going to far exceed Rocketeer levels of pure awesome.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:21 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
HGervais wrote:Another Cap photo. This time in movement. Looks like Cap on a Hydra U-Boat.

All indications so far are that this baby is going to far exceed Rocketeer levels of pure awesome.

I want to see this yesterday! This is SO up my alley.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:36 pm

Loving the new Spidey, diggin' Thor and think Captain America will be just plain kick ass.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:51 pm

Here's yer first good look at X-Men:First Class

I honestly think, at least from a design standpoint, Marvel are officially on a roll!
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:13 pm

Steve T Power wrote:Here's yer first good look at X-Men:First Class

I honestly think, at least from a design standpoint, Marvel are officially on a roll!

It's not bad, but I am still leary of this one. It might just be the best cast of any of the X-Men films, and I am happy that there is no Wolverine in sight, but the rapid fire manner in which this film has been produced leaves me leary.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:56 pm

HGervais
Judge

Postby Observer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:47 pm

I like James McAvoy, but I don't know if I necessarily see him growing up to be Patrick Stewart the same way I can easily see Michael Fassbender growing up to be Ian McKellen.

I mean, he could still be great, I just don't see it. I want him to blow me away. Basically, let's see a trailer, my curiosity's killing me.
"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about." The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)
Observer
Paralegal

Postby Jim_Thomas » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:16 am

http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/new-better-images-for-xmen-first-class-now-were-cooking-with-plasma-blasts.php

A little more info, w/ a few new pics.

Kevin Bacon on Shaw:

You don’t see much [of his backstory] in the movie, but he’s kind of a self-made man. He lost his father as a young man, made his first million by the time he was 30 and first billion by time he was 40. He’s a very powerful billionaire and also, as it turns out, a mutant. He’s the leader of the Hellfire Club, which is a nightclub for the rich and extremely powerful. And he has a plot to take over the world, so that’s really fun. He’s incredibly good at manipulating people and at taking whatever kind of energy or ability they have and using it to his advantage, like if he’s talking to a German, he’s fluent in German. He’s very charming and able to get whatever he wants.

Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby HGervais » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:56 pm

Sweet. And I love the way the shield looks.
HGervais
Judge

Postby HGervais » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:06 pm

1st Captain America trailer. Oh hell yes! More and now please.
HGervais
Judge

Postby tucco » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:30 am

Cooooooooollllllllllll Cap trailer!

Thor pretty good too.....need more, yes................
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:31 pm

HGervais wrote:Sweet. And I love the way the shield looks.

It looks....right. In the (horrible) TV show it was clearly plastic, and the first movie it looked plastic-y, this looks like it's really some uber-secret alloy and in the trailer they show that the shape of it makes the paint job a natural choice!! So far so good, can't wait for it, but honestly, July 22? For Captain Freaking America? Would not a July 4th release be an easy choice?
Thor's looking good, going for the bearded, more Norseman looking Thor, and the action scenes so far look great, hopefully Hopkins can pull off the awesomeness of Odin, and we might have a winner.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 pm

HGervais
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:19 am

Too perfect!
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:49 am

Steve T Power wrote:Too perfect!

Perfect if Marvel had the balls to make an R-rated Iron Man flick, but still nearly perfect at PG-13.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Jon Mercer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:55 am

Dan Mancini wrote:

Perfect if Marvel had the balls to make an R-rated Iron Man flick, but still nearly perfect at PG-13.

Even more perfect if it keeps someone as talented as Shane Black from squandering himself on Death Note.
Jon Mercer
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:16 am

Jon Mercer wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:

Even more perfect if it keeps someone as talented as Shane Black from squandering himself on Death Note.

I see his past experience with Downey, and his particular sensibilities to be a perfect fit for what Favreau established in terms of tone. If there's another director out there that would be a better choice than Black, I don't know him.
Steve T Power
Judge

PreviousNext

Return to Movies