Highly recommended - Agora (No Spoilers)

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Highly recommended - Agora (No Spoilers)

Postby Polynikes » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:36 pm

Has anyone else seen Agora, a film about Hypatia, the 4th century female philosopher and astronomer in Alexandria? Directed by Alejandro Amenábar and starring Rachel Weisz, it has been in a few UK cinemas for a couple of months, having been critically acclaimed at the Cannes film festival . I finally managed to see it tonight, and it was a treat. As with any film, there were imperfections with the plot and characterisation, but I was immersed for the entire two hours. It is such a pleasure to watch an historical epic which does not rely on CGI spectacle - although the reconstructions of Alexandria and the shots of the earth are stunning - but depends on real drama and ideas for its success. I am pleasantly surprised that it received a relatively mainstream release, rather than a limited arthouse one, and it was a delight to see an absorbing drama. It is a film which (as one reviewer put it)
engages because it is actually about something; even in the clunkiest moments, Amenábar is wrestling with compelling questions and ideas

Enough gushing from me - but do go and see it and make up your own mind! I would be interested to hear the views of others.
Polynikes
City Attorney

Re: Highly recommended - Agora (No Spoilers)

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:57 am

It was quite good.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:49 am

my apologies, apparently it was shown in NYC & LA

Where did you see it Steve? cause i can't find it anywhere.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:44 am

molly1216 wrote:my apologies, apparently it was shown in NYC & LA

Where did you see it Steve? cause i can't find it anywhere.

It's out there ;).
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Attrage » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:07 pm

Unfortunately it did get a "limited arthouse" theatrical release in my country but I am eagerly awaiting the DVD which is out soon. I'm a big Rachel Weisz fan and also a fan of the story of Hypatia (one of those amazingly poetic and poignant stories from history that has all the drama of fiction yet is all the more amazing because it actually occured) so yeah, can't wait to see it!
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Return to Movies