Women and horror movies.

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Women and horror movies.

Postby Kevin » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:11 pm

When a woman says she doesn't like horror movies, what could it be (besides the literal). Is it the gore of horror movies she doesn't like, or is it the suspense of horror movies? Because I want to show her Psycho (the original), because it's a great movie.
Kevin
City Attorney

Re: Women and horror movies.

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Kevin wrote:When a woman says she doesn't like horror movies, what could it be (besides the literal). Is it the gore of horror movies she doesn't like, or is it the suspense of horror movies? Because I want to show her Psycho (the original), because it's a great movie.

Women, like humans and other higher primates, react in a variety of ways to films of various genres. For this reason, it is not possible to accurately predict the factors which will turn a woman off the horror genre. For some, it is the gore. For others, it is the psychological components (in which case, Psycho is especially poor choice). In other cases, the genre simply holds no interest and they become bored. As a thinking animal with the power of analytical reasoning and vocal communication, the woman should be able to articulate her distaste for horror movies when approached with an appropriate line of inquiry.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby cdouglas » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:53 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:
Kevin wrote:When a woman says she doesn't like horror movies, what could it be (besides the literal). Is it the gore of horror movies she doesn't like, or is it the suspense of horror movies? Because I want to show her Psycho (the original), because it's a great movie.

Women, like humans and other higher primates, react in a variety of ways to films of various genres. For this reason, it is not possible to accurately predict the factors which will turn a woman off the horror genre. For some, it is the gore. For others, it is the psychological components (in which case, Psycho is especially poor choice). In other cases, the genre simply holds no interest and they become bored. As a thinking animal with the power of analytical reasoning and vocal communication, the woman should be able to articulate her distaste for horror movies when approached with an appropriate line of inquiry.

:D I tip my hat to you, Mr. Forbes.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby HGervais » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:49 am

cdouglas wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

:D I tip my hat to you, Mr. Forbes.

I'd tip more than that but this is a all ages message board.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:23 am

Yeah I've known a few women who love horror flicks.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Attrage » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:57 pm

I have over the last few years introduced my other half to horror flicks and she is now a pretty well-versed and dedicated fan. She enjoys the suspense of a good ghost story, or the campy fun of a Friday the 13th-type. But she as yet cannot be convinced to watch the more "realistic" type of horror films, like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am

indeed it depends on the movie..tell her Psycho is a thriller.

I don't like slasher gore, but i do like suspense, spooky old house, monsters, supernatural...so it all depends on WHAT type turned her off...sound her our before you write her off completely.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Return to Movies