Halloween watching thread

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:27 pm

the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:00 am

Been rolling thru some Universal classics like Bride of Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man and others and finished off this evening's viewing with BBC's The History Of Horror With Mark Gatiss, and this is a must see for any horror fan. Not only does the guy score interviews with Sara Karloff, but he also gets an interview with Carla Laemle, who appeared in Chaney's Phantom Of the Opera as well as speaking the first lines of dialogue in Dracula! Then he proceeds to the California Museum Of History for a look at Chaney's original makeup kit, showing off a glass contact he wore in a film that looked to be really uncomfortable! The museum also gives us the other surviving cast member of Dracula, the flapping bat! He traces the beginnings of horror in this chapter, giving us a ton of detail about James Whale, and how Freaks really helped lead to the Code, and of course, the amazing Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi. Way cool stuff, lots of insider info, anecdotes, clips and stills of incredible rarity, and a great ride for horror fans. It's out there on torrents, snag it!!
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:01 am

Tremors - this movie gets more classic as time goes by, it hasn't aged. it still works.
Another classic in the later day Universal canon.

Bubba Ho-Tep awesome. simply awesome. can't say enough good things about this...its' either the best low budget horror film ever or the best big budget fan film.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:58 am

RIFFTRAX LIVE: THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (IN COLOR!) last Thursday night. The Chelsea theater in NYC I attended was about 90% full, about the same as the crowd that showed up for the August “Reefer Madness” showing. While the new shorts were every bit as fun and (in the case of “Paper and I”) insanely demented as the ‘grass’ short from the last show, overall, this wasn’t as much fun as the “Reefer Madness” concert to me. Part of the problem is that “House on Haunted Hill” (it was my first time seeing it, ever) is about 10 minutes too long, nothing happens and when it does you can tell it’s not real horror or supernatural stuff happening (I’ve seen enough William Castle flicks to know what to expect by now). I can’t believe that Castle so nakedly ripped-off Clouzot’s “Diabolique” for this cheap “horror” flick, which telegraphed the ending way before it was all over. Too many riffs were only OK and the character abuse on Lance got really annoying when they were ragging on the guy for the movie’s last 15 minutes even though he wasn’t on-screen. Though there were some funny zingers and moments (the blind woman ‘floating’ away from the basement room had the theater roaring with laughter, ‘Vote Christine O’Donnell,’ ‘someone created the internet,’ etc.) and I had a good time I’m sorry to say that this was a step back from the near-perfect experience I had three months earlier with “Reefer Madness.”

No complaints about Paul F. Tompkins joining Kevin/Mike/Bill as 'the fourth riffer,' he was in and out without harm and made a virtue of his brief on-camera time. I wish they’d cut in half the number of split-screen “Brady Bunch” riffing shots when the movie/short is playing; I concentrate 100% on the movie screen, so it’s annoying to be distracted when the guys are making faces or mugging for attention.
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Future Man » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:30 am

the Thing from Another World
Definitely retains the ability to startle with a couple of scenes and the 'kerosene' set piece definitelty made me wonder "how'd they do that?," but I wish the clever banter and wisecracks could have been dialed down as the tension was supposed to be mounting. Enjoyed the chemistry between the captain and the lovely assistant. First time I noticed that that this wasn't actually directed by Howard Hawks per the credits.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:38 am

Future Man wrote:the Thing from Another World
Definitely retains the ability to startle with a couple of scenes and the 'kerosene' set piece definitelty made me wonder "how'd they do that?," but I wish the clever banter and wisecracks could have been dialed down as the tension was supposed to be mounting. Enjoyed the chemistry between the captain and the lovely assistant. First time I noticed that that this wasn't actually directed by Howard Hawks per the credits.
Well there is plenty of lore to suggest that Hawks was either very meddlesome or very helpful to Nyby. I like to think Hawks was responsible for the hawksian elements.

I can understand the amped up wisecracks - this is a post WWII military film..our Willie and Joes are still supposed to mask fear with humor. The one guy who sees the monster and panics is patronized and practically mocked. "captain the eyes! and those hands!" We have to get further from that age and into the true monster / sci fi film era before the wisecracking abates.

Below Personally i think it's Twohy's second best film, next to Pitch Black, high on creep..just enough gore and a very high body count.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby azul017 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:55 pm

Halloween - Still an iconic film. The final 15 minutes are the defining moment of the film, but the rest of the film still works fine. Long tracking shots, gorgeous Panavision cinematography, and pitch-perfect editing. I really can't find anything to complain about this film.

Halloween (2007 remake) - Not nearly as bad as I remember it. Hate the shakycam work, and while it certainly differentiates itself from the iconic film that way there's too much of it. Editing is a bit slipshod, and the less said about the writing and acting the better. Danielle Harris SHOULD'VE been Laurie Strode instead of Scout Taylor-Compton, she was the best actor in this. Such a wasted opportunity, half of it is crappy original material and half of it rehashes the original. Still watchable compared to the sequel, which ended up being one of the worst films of the past decade.

Rocky Horror Picture Show - I just can't get into it. It has that '70s kitsch and some great songs, but it's embarrassing to watch. Tim Curry is both awesome and repulsive -- it's honestly a mixed bag. Maybe I need to go to a midnight show with a crowd to get the full effect.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:07 am

Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th Part 2
Friday the 13th Part 3

Schlocky. Made with minimal competence. Completely derivative. I love all three. This is what happens when you grow up in the '80s.

Halloween (1978)
Scout Taylor Who? Jamie Lee Curtis is Laurie Strode. End of story. I've seen the movie more times than I can count, but I'm always amazed at how elegantly shot it is. Carpenter rules.

Trick 'r Treat
Fun, clever, and genuinely creepy. Strong performances from the various cast members borrowed from the X-Men flicks really add to the flick's texture.

And that's a Halloween wrap.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:44 pm

Future Man wrote:the Thing from Another World

If it wasn't directed by Hawks it still has his signature all over it-The overlapping dialogue, the comraderie (something sorely missed in the remake IMO) within Kenneth Tobey's group, a strong leading lady, etc. Plus, I've always seen the ending as a variation of the classic Western showdown-Instead of a shootout on main street, the Thing slowly walks down the corridor towards its fate. There's tension aplenty in this film its just that time and countless variations (copies) have taken the edge off it. Just imagine seeing this back in the early '50s when all of the UFO, Aliens, stuff was brand new. :shock:

Anyway, ended my Halloween with the following:
The Vampire Bat-Easily could have been a Universal or Warner's film instead of a "Majestic" (aka Poverty Row") movie. Interesting that already some of the stars had been typecast: Atwill-The Mad Scientist, Wray-The woman in peril, and Frye-The looney.
The Corpse Vanishes-One of Lugosi's Monogram masterpieces. Good fun.
The Devil Bat-Same as the above title except it's a PRC film.
The Bride of Frankenstein-A classic. First time I noticed Thesiger's characters fondness for Gin in this film and instantly thought of The Old Dark House "I like Gin!" Wonder if in real life.....?
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:11 pm

I ended my Halloween with Thing from another world followed by John Carpenter's The Thing.

"let's just see what happens."
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:40 pm

The last few films:

Frankenstein Unbound - entertaining, but completly insane. Whoever played the Creature was pretty bad, but Raul Julia was awsome as ever and John Hurt was clearly having a blast.

Dagon - Great horror film. When I get my head back in gear, will review in full.

MST3K: Werewolf - what Halloween would be complete without Joe Estevez, Mike Nelson and the bots?
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:48 pm

Halloween bonus round:

The Fog (1980) which i have never in my life seen from end to end. i missed a lot. i liked it to pieces. it was eerie and suspenseful i can just imagine how bad the remake is..i am sure all running around and explosions.. this was just creepy. no long winded expositions, no characters with extended backstories and personal problems...just a simple strong plot. period. i miss that about good movies. the only thing i didn't like was that Adrian Barbeau's character doesn't interact with any other character besides a couple of phone calls. considering how close to the wire the reshoots were i can forgive that...but i think if that was fixed, this would be much higher on people's favorite lists.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Previous

Return to Movies