Halloween watching thread

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Halloween watching thread

Postby molly1216 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:03 am

30 days is not enough time to watch all the films i WANT to watch to celebrate the season.
So I figured I would follow the weather...it's crisp and cool and there are turning leaves out there and the candy is piling up in the stores - it's time to start thinking and watching eerie creepy ookie things.

I spent last night with Mark of the Vampire..i wasn't feeling well so I popped it on with the Kim Newman / Steve Jones commentary and faded in and out and restarted the film about 4 or 5 times with and without the alt track and left it on until i had to get up this morning. AND I realized the film is ACTUALLY much better if you just stop thinking about it. Everyone agrees the hand me down plot is insanely convoluted and impossible to follow, not much actually makes sense, (why would the guy pretending to be the dead father DRINK anything the murder put in front of him?) but individual scenes are great - perhaps it is a kind of 'will it blend?' film...let's stuff in atwill, barrymore, hersholt, meek and lugosi with browning's direction...combine real bats, borzi hounds, creepy cemeteries, huge spider webs, great sets, spooky mansion, rusty tombs, and carroll borland as luna the bat woman in a FLYING RIG and swish it all around until you get dizzy. I dare you NOT to have a giggle.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:27 am

Oddly enough Molly, I started doing the exact same thing last night!

Kicked it off with the 1960 Roger Corman The Fall of the House of Usher, which I had never seen. A damn fine bit of old fashion horror filmmaking, and it saddens me that such a film that places its emphasis on character and atmosphere is unlikely to be produced in this modern era :( Here is hoping for the revived Hammer to make good on its promises...

Followed it up with the director's cut of From Beyond, which works pretty darn well until the final third of the film, where suddenly characters can turn up with bombs out of nowhere and the more psychological aspects of the film are tossed out the window (no pun intended here).
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby BenShultz » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:43 am

molly1216 wrote:you tease! Corman's House of Usher isn't on dvd. I have never seen it either! 8(

Oh, you're paying way too much for worms, man. Who's your worm guy?
BenShultz
City Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:19 pm

BenShultz wrote:
molly1216 wrote:you tease! Corman's House of Usher isn't on dvd. I have never seen it either! 8(

thank you for correcting me. i swear i googled it right :lol:
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:29 pm

BenShultz wrote:

Yep, that''s the copy I have! One of the best used DVD store purchases I have made :)
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Jon Mercer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:57 pm

This is the year I get Elizabeth to watch Black Roses. Heavy metal horror baby!!
Jon Mercer
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:11 am

I caught up with Survival of the Dead last night. It's better than Diary of the Dead and not nearly as lame as it sounded when I read a plot summary. It's nearly on par with Land of the Dead, which is to say that it's...uh...not good. No, sir. I think it's well past time that Mr. Romero leave the zombie genre in the capable hands of Danny Boyle, Zack Snyder, and Frank Darabont.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:20 am

last night "I walked with a zombie" (1943) i do like the cinematography and production on this one..but it's not really my favorite..the only character i like it darby jones...this time i noticed something...his make up has a mask over his eyes sort of a batman mask with those poppy eyes...

ANd Mask of Fu Manchu (1932) - Myrna Loy as an asian dominatrix? - sign me up. Karloff is unrecognizable as always, the sets are elaborate torture rooms - the pit of alligators should not be missed. I adore a little precode sex and violence don't you?

Today i got up early (or rather my allergies got me up early)
Curtiz's Mystery at the Wax Museum (1933) -Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray and my favorite...Glenda Farrell's newspaper reporter which is a staple character in a lot of pictures of the day. One of only three two strip technicolor from Warner.

Doctor X (1932) - Curtiz's other Warner two strip technicolor again with Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray. I hadn't seen it before and all i have to say is WTF? that was the most BEE Zare convolution of cockamamie science hocus pocus and downright screwy horror i have ever seen. Now I need to see it a few more times. I can't imagine the stage play was this good. Show me a mad science lab with big devices arcing lightning bolts and I am there.

The Vampire Bat (1933) - Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray, Melvyin Douglas and Dwight Frye. A Poverty Row production filmed at night on Universal's European village set. The interior of Lionel Atwill's house is the set from The Old Dark House (1932) talk about recycling! well worth watching I think. for a while I only had a crap dvd I bought online, but the new Alpha copy doesn't suck - Stable images, good if inconsistent contrast..and the sound is better than I expected.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:45 am

Not exactly a horror film, but last night I did watch Ghidorah: the Three Headed Monster (U.S. Cut, 1964). Thankfully Halloween is also a perfect time for campy monster movie action! As for the film, it is a strange little film in the Godzilla canon: monsters talking to one another (with translation), political assasinations, martain prophecy, etc. It is a blast, but a very strange mix.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby tucco » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:47 pm

All I have to say is I can't WAIT until DARK NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW hits the streets later this month!
My favorite made-for-television horror movie of all time.
It's been on youtube for a couple of years but they've taken it down, probably due to it's impending DVD release.
It's creepy and effective.....It's dated, but I like it for that reason....I remember seeing it when it first aired in 1981.
They just don't make good "little" horror movies like this anymore....
It's got a BLACK CHRISTMAS type cult following, mainly because it just delivers what it promises .....creepy scares and atmosphere without buckets of blood and dismembered body parts.
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:27 pm

molly1216 wrote:
I adore a little precode sex and violence don't you?

Yes! Don't know if you'd call it an era or a genre but I would say that early '30s films would be my favorite. All the films you mentioned are a lot of fun along with others such as Murders in the Zoo, Island of Lost Souls and White Zombie. :) How versatile was Curtiz that, that in addition to the classic films he's famous for, he could direct fine horror films like the ones you listed plus The Walking Dead.
I think this year, for Halloween, I'll be watching films from the '20s-'40s. :D
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:58 am

hoytereden wrote:
molly1216 wrote: I adore a little precode sex and violence don't you?

Yes! Don't know if you'd call it an era or a genre but I would say that early '30s films would be my favorite. All the films you mentioned are a lot of fun along with others such as Murders in the Zoo, Island of Lost Souls and White Zombie. :) How versatile was Curtiz that, that in addition to the classic films he's famous for, he could direct fine horror films like the ones you listed plus The Walking Dead.
I think this year, for Halloween, I'll be watching films from the '20s-'40s. :D

How did you know!
I rewatched Murders in the zoo (1933) and Island of Lost Souls (1932) last night..Murders in the zoo is pretty straightforward filming..with some REALLY great horror images..come on tossing a lady into a pit of crocodiles is my kind of fun... but Island of Lost Souls has some really creepy camera stuff that makes me think that Erle Kenton wasn't alone behind the camera...he was a pretty workman like director but this has a bunch of artsy moves that ramp up the creep factor..the push in to extreme closeups of Laughton...eek.

hmmm jungles shipwrecks? i wonder what i will watch today?

tucco wrote:All I have to say is I can't WAIT until DARK NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW hits the streets later this month!
My favorite made-for-television horror movie of all time.
It's been on youtube for a couple of years but they've taken it down, probably due to it's impending DVD release.
It's creepy and effective.....It's dated, but I like it for that reason....I remember seeing it when it first aired in 1981.
They just don't make good "little" horror movies like this anymore....
It's got a BLACK CHRISTMAS type cult following, mainly because it just delivers what it promises .....creepy scares and atmosphere without buckets of blood and dismembered body parts.

i am jealous..i can't wait to see that
but the one i really want to see again is The Horror at 37,000 Feet (1973) I only saw it the once in 1973 and it left a lasting impression..i am dying to see it again.
from imdb "An architect and his wife are flying from London to L.A. with an altar from an ancient abbey secured in the plane's cargo hold. Also aboard the flight are Buddy Ebsen as a pushy millionaire, William Shatner as a drunken, cynical ex-priest, Tammy Grimes as a nutcase, and Chuck Connors as the lantern-jawed pilot. Crew and passengers come into jeopardy when an invisible demon escapes from the altar, and threatens the plane in an effort to destroy the architect's wife. No, it doesn't make any sense, but it's pretty hilarious, and you should watch it anyway"
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:46 am

molly1216 wrote:but the one i really want to see again is The Horror at 37,000 Feet (1973) I only saw it the once in 1973 and it left a lasting impression..i am dying to see it again.
from imdb "An architect and his wife are flying from London to L.A. with an altar from an ancient abbey secured in the plane's cargo hold. Also aboard the flight are Buddy Ebsen as a pushy millionaire, William Shatner as a drunken, cynical ex-priest, Tammy Grimes as a nutcase, and Chuck Connors as the lantern-jawed pilot. Crew and passengers come into jeopardy when an invisible demon escapes from the altar, and threatens the plane in an effort to destroy the architect's wife. No, it doesn't make any sense, but it's pretty hilarious, and you should watch it anyway"

That sounds AWESOME!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:57 am

Steve T Power wrote:
molly1216 wrote:but the one i really want to see again is The Horror at 37,000 Feet (1973) I only saw it the once in 1973 and it left a lasting impression..i am dying to see it again.

That sounds AWESOME!

They had me at Shatner as a drunken, cynical ex-priest.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:21 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:

That sounds AWESOME!

"Also aboard the flight are Buddy Ebsen as a pushy millionaire, William Shatner as a drunken, cynical ex-priest, Tammy Grimes as a nutcase, and Chuck Connors as the lantern-jawed pilot."

Come on! Shatner as a drunken Ex priest! And Ubermensch Chuck Connors, athlete, actor and descendant of Newfoundland blood, as a lantern jawed pilot! This cannot possibly suck. No chance!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:39 am

Steve T Power wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:

That sounds AWESOME!

"Also aboard the flight are Buddy Ebsen as a pushy millionaire, William Shatner as a drunken, cynical ex-priest, Tammy Grimes as a nutcase, and Chuck Connors as the lantern-jawed pilot."

Come on! Shatner as a drunken Ex priest! And Ubermensch Chuck Connors, athlete, actor and descendant of Newfoundland blood, as a lantern jawed pilot! This cannot possibly suck. No chance!

the image that sticks with me is this creeping black tarish stuff inching its way up from the back of the plane and all the passengers jambed up in 1st class - the soundtrack is especially eerie.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:11 pm

molly1216 wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:

That sounds AWESOME!

the image that sticks with me is this creeping black tarish stuff inching its way up from the back of the plane and all the passengers jambed up in 1st class - the soundtrack is especially eerie.

Weren't movies of the week fun? I remember one called Killdozer about a, you guessed it, a possessed Bulldozer. One that always stuck with me was called A Cold Nights Death. It was about research with monkeys in the (An)Arctic and things started to get creepy as the monkeys plotted and Robert Culp and Eli Wallach started to lose it as the blizzard got worse and worse and------I don't remember much more except that it had a twist ending. Speaking of Robert Culp: I think he and Bradford Dillman took turns starring in these made-for-tv films. Good times :D
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:17 pm

Is The Horror at 37,000 Feet (1973) the one they remade on Twilight Zone: The Movie?

I started Cherry Falls which I'm enjoying more than I thought I would. It's got Michael Biehn and a psycho who's killing virgins. An enjoyable post - Scream slasher. There's also the late Brittany Murphy who is really endearing in her role.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:19 pm

hoytereden wrote:Weren't movies of the week fun? I remember one called Killdozer about a, you guessed it, a possessed Bulldozer. One that always stuck with me was called A Cold Nights Death. It was about research with monkeys in the (An)Arctic and things started to get creepy as the monkeys plotted and Robert Culp and Eli Wallach started to lose it as the blizzard got worse and worse and------I don't remember much more except that it had a twist ending. Speaking of Robert Culp: I think he and Bradford Dillman took turns starring in these made-for-tv films. Good times :D
Killdozer! (1974) was adapted from a Theodore Sturgeon novella - loved it.
A Cold Nights Death was another from 1973! You know i'm starting to think that year in tv has an unappreciated kitchy awesomeness to it - don't forget Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973)
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:28 pm

Phantasm - I was somewhat disappointed because there wasn't much of a plot. It nailed the atmosphere though, very creepy.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:34 pm

Just watched Candyman (1992). Consider me shocked out how good the film actually is. The film is atmospheric and well paced, and although it's surface looks like a slasher film, the film is an oddly perceptive film about stories, class and race. Plus, an excellent Phillip Glass score.

Funny enough, I was going to skip the sequel, when I saw that Bill Condon directed it. Any votes on if I should bother?
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:57 pm

molly1216 wrote:
hoytereden wrote:Weren't movies of the week fun? I remember one called Killdozer about a, you guessed it, a possessed Bulldozer. One that always stuck with me was called A Cold Nights Death. It was about research with monkeys in the (An)Arctic and things started to get creepy as the monkeys plotted and Robert Culp and Eli Wallach started to lose it as the blizzard got worse and worse and------I don't remember much more except that it had a twist ending. Speaking of Robert Culp: I think he and Bradford Dillman took turns starring in these made-for-tv films. Good times :D
Killdozer! (1974) was adapted from a Theodore Sturgeon novella - loved it.
A Cold Nights Death was another from 1973! You know i'm starting to think that year in tv has an unappreciated kitchy awesomeness to it - don't forget Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973)

And The Stranger Within with Barbara Eden pregnant with who knows what! and, my man, Bradford Dillman, in Moon of the Wolf-Werewolf/Southern style.
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:08 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:Just watched Candyman (1992). Consider me shocked out how good the film actually is. The film is atmospheric and well paced, and although it's surface looks like a slasher film, the film is an oddly perceptive film about stories, class and race. Plus, an excellent Phillip Glass score.

Funny enough, I was going to skip the sequel, when I saw that Bill Condon directed it. Any votes on if I should bother?

Yeah Candyman is awesome. I remember liking the sequel but I haven't seen it since the VHS days.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:18 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:Just watched Candyman (1992). Consider me shocked out how good the film actually is. The film is atmospheric and well paced, and although it's surface looks like a slasher film, the film is an oddly perceptive film about stories, class and race. Plus, an excellent Phillip Glass score.

Yeah Candyman is awesome. I remember liking the sequel but I haven't seen it since the VHS days.

I'll put it on the rent this then. Thanks!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:54 am

Last night i put on the third of Michael Curtiz's triple play...the Walking Dead (1936)with Boris Karloff...a combination of Warner Crime Drama and quasi science fiction horror story. Rife with Curtiz's wonderful shadowy cinematography. The best film in the Karloff & Lugosi Horror Classics Set.

Followed that up with White Zombie (1932)...is it me or is the 1st step to casting Bela is to give him wonky eyebrows? And WHAT is it he is doing with his fists - it is very odd. for the 'lowbudget' stuff I wonder if they come up with the screenplay and then see what sets are still standing...or look at what sets they can use and THEN write the script? the sugar cane mill set piece is like 4 stories tall and most impressive..i wonder what A picture it came from? the Gothic mansion / castle looks like the redressed Standard Universal one. I can't imagine it standing on any tropical island. 8)

then topped it off with Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932) - the screenplay has some pretty decent dialogue which we can probably attribute to John Huston sending it through his typewriter. But the set design is out of this world...all the crooked shadowy Parisian streets look like they came from 19th century etchings. Definitely Universal studio production quality. I can't find anything else in the director's canon to credit him with the style. Aside from Bela's eyebrows and the man in an apesuit stuff, this is better than it should be.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:02 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Is The Horror at 37,000 Feet (1973) the one they remade on Twilight Zone: The Movie?

No, that was a 1963 episode of The Twilight Zone called "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet." It also starred The Shat, though.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:05 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:Is The Horror at 37,000 Feet (1973) the one they remade on Twilight Zone: The Movie?

No, that was a 1963 episode of The Twilight Zone called "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet." It also starred The Shat, though.

Shatner? He hardly knew her!

I'll be outside.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:06 am

Dan Mancini wrote:

That had me confused for a second. I'm a Richard Matheson fan and I'd never of that film...
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:45 am

A friend of mine found a copy of Satan's Triangle. It was a TV movie of the week from 1974. It starred Doug McClure & Kim Novak and it scared the crap out of a ten year old me. 36 years later and it's still pretty effective with the "it" moment gettting goose bumps out of me even though I knew it was coming. I'd love for a company like Dark Sky to do a proper release.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:28 am

HGervais wrote:A friend of mine found a copy of Satan's Triangle. It was a TV movie of the week from 1974. It starred Doug McClure & Kim Novak and it scared the crap out of a ten year old me. 36 years later and it's still pretty effective with the "it" moment gettting goose bumps out of me even though I knew it was coming. I'd love for a company like Dark Sky to do a proper release.

anyone remember The Day the Earth Moved (1974)? it wasn't particularly scary..but i thought it was very clever re: aerial photograph's predicting earthquakes.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:56 am

Last night's course consisted of Ulmer's The Black Cat (1934) - which rocks the house down literally: building an art deco mansion atop a ruined fort buttressed with dynamite seems a little unpragmatic to me. I do like the use of Pocket Doors through out the set though. I think this is probably the most evil character in Karloff's canon. what a bastard. And aside from the awkward 'cat phobia' Lugosi was actually normal.

Next up was Whale's masterpiece of a dinner party gone wrong with Old Dark House (1932)..which i find oddly pleasant up until the third act when the butler gets drunk and tried his hand at sexual assualt, and the pyromaniac in the attic gets loose and tries to burn the house down with all inside... it's a rather cheery way to spend an evening.

Which led me to Whale's Invisible Man (1932) where I confess, i only watch the scenes with Claude Rains or Una O'connor..i don't really care what's going on elsewhere in the picture. The special effects are still phenomenal. This time i noticed something i never did before...at the pub the men are in the pub proper while the 'ladies' have a table out back to enjoy their pints. In the US, ladies would even have a separate entrance.

Most films from this era are between 60 and 75 minutes and are designed to be watched back to back; even so, i think i have plenty of genre films to last me until Oct 31st. 8)
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby BrettCullum » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:08 am

I am in a play right now (THE PHILADELPHIA STORY actually), and so I have not even begun my Halloween viewing. Been too busy trying to channel Cary Grant.

But first up for me is the always inspirational PAUL LYNDE HALLOWEEN SPECIAL which features the first network television appearance by KISS, Florence Henderson, and a whole skit devoted to the CB and trucker craze. I figure if the 70s fashions don't scare the pants off me then nothing else will. Nerves of steel, my friend. Nerves of steel!
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:15 am

BrettCullum wrote:But first up for me is the always inspirational PAUL LYNDE HALLOWEEN SPECIAL which features the first network television appearance by KISS, Florence Henderson, and a whole skit devoted to the CB and trucker craze.

You're a sick man, Cullum.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Bryan Pope » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:07 am

BrettCullum wrote:But first up for me is the always inspirational PAUL LYNDE HALLOWEEN SPECIAL which features the first network television appearance by KISS, Florence Henderson, and a whole skit devoted to the CB and trucker craze. I figure if the 70s fashions don't scare the pants off me then nothing else will. Nerves of steel, my friend. Nerves of steel!

Okay, that is all kinds of awesome. A program like that begs to be paired up with the Star Wars Holiday Special. Nothing like a Halloween/Life Day double feature to fill me with holiday cheer.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:57 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
BrettCullum wrote:But first up for me is the always inspirational PAUL LYNDE HALLOWEEN SPECIAL which features the first network television appearance by KISS, Florence Henderson, and a whole skit devoted to the CB and trucker craze.

on one hand that's scary as hell on the other it's not an image i wanted in my head.
but now it begs the question - who is our generation's paul lynde?
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:18 am

molly1216 wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:

on one hand that's scary as hell on the other it's not an image i wanted in my head.

I'm not sure Paul Lyndes exist anymore. Jim J. Bullock may have been the last one. Now if you're gay, you're gay. There's no need to cultivate that "everyone knows he's gay, but we're not going to say it out loud" comic persona. Is there?
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:06 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
molly1216 wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:

I'm not sure Paul Lyndes exist anymore. Jim J. Bullock may have been the last one. Now if you're gay, you're gay. There's no need to cultivate that "everyone knows he's gay, but we're not going to say it out loud" comic persona. Is there?

odd i wasn't thinking of a 'gay' icon when i typed that..i was just thinking of someone who just said the first thing off top of his head which was generally funny and cutting.. i thought he was a particularly witty man - or at least he appear so on hollywood squares. ;-)
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby bubblegumking » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:13 am

I don't celebrate Halloween, but I've had a running tradition for a while now to get in my yearly veiwing of Donnie Darko as close to the end of October as possible.
bubblegumking
Law Clerk

Postby molly1216 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:10 pm

bubblegumking wrote:I don't celebrate Halloween, but I've had a running tradition for a while now to get in my yearly veiwing of Donnie Darko as close to the end of October as possible.

hell, i don't celebrate nuthin' but i take every opportunity i can to watch a lot of movies and eat 50% off candy. cheers baby.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:56 pm

Friend wanted to see Resident Evil Afterlife tonight. No surprise, but it is complete s___.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:48 pm

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - I'd never had a huge interest in seeing this, but forced myself to watch it since it's so highly regarded. I was hugely impressed with the building tension, to the final half hour that is just about entirely screaming for the whole time. This was one messed up movie (in a good way) that took me by suprise.

I don't mean to sound uncultured or anything, but as far as horror movies go, almost nothing made prior to 1970 has been able to impress me frightwise. I might watch some of the classics, but I'll more appreciate them as opposed to actually being scared by them. I'm just jaded to violence from having seen so much more in recent films. So considering this, TCM came out of nowhere for me.

There were some moments that would be cliche today (come on, THREE deaths where the victims were yelling "HELLOOOOOO?!?!?" before getting killed??), but I think other movies were copying this than the other way around.

And since most of the slasher films I know are from Halloween and forward, it struck me as odd to see people dressed in 70's clothing & hairstyles getting killed one after another. These were part of the times of course, but it added to the uneasiness for me, which worked in its favor.

So would anybody recommend the sequels, or am I best to just stick with the original by itself? I've seen a synopsis of part 2 with Dennis Hopper, which just looked stupid. How are the rest?
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:36 am

mavrach wrote:Texas Chainsaw Massacre
So would anybody recommend the sequels, or am I best to just stick with the original by itself? I've seen a synopsis of part 2 with Dennis Hopper, which just looked stupid. How are the rest?

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is a pretty enjoyable exercise in over the top excess. It's the only sequel I've seen.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:57 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is a pretty enjoyable exercise in over the top excess. It's the only sequel I've seen.

I was pretty disappointed with part 2. I went in knowing it was a complete change in tone and style, but even as a comedy it fails. I found it shrill and formless.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:07 am

The Cat and the Canary (1927) - damn i loved Paul Leni's visuals...expressionist cinema is sorely missed if you ask me.

The Mummy (1931) Karl Freund's visuals will do, though he's not a terribly great director this is a damn good film..i am just always sad about the dog..

I work up in the middle of the night and skipped ahead to 1957 with the Unknown Land and Deadly Mantis..which was a mistake unless your nine years old both of these films should only be watched with a lot of weed or a suitcase of bud. I'm saving Monolith Monsters for October, that doesn't suck in my opinion.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:07 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:

I was pretty disappointed with part 2. I went in knowing it was a complete change in tone and style, but even as a comedy it fails. I found it shrill and formless.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of the sequels, which get progressively more reedonkulous. Some people dig Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation because it's practically an Escape from L.A.-style over-the-top parody of the original. Plus, it has early performances by Matthew McConaughey and Renee Zellweger. I don't even like that one.

I do dig Marcus Nispel's remake, however. It's nowhere near as good as the original because it doesn't have the creepy, low-grade production values, but it maintains the relentlessly bleak tone. And I like how he expanded the world, creating a larger and more well-defined family for Leatherface. Also, Jessica Biel's boo-tay in tight jeans.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:09 am

My brain refused to sleep most of last night, so I streamed Troll 2 on Netflix. It wasn't as much fun as watching it with a group of friends, but it was still awesomely atrocious.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:36 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:

Well I like Natural Born Killers. Which means that shrill and formless is my meat and bread ;-)
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:28 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Well I like Natural Born Killers. Which means that shrill and formless is my meat and bread ;-)

I'd criticize you for mixing metaphors, but meat and bread go together like, oh, let's say, potatoes and butter.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:32 am

molly1216 wrote:I work up in the middle of the night and skipped ahead to 1957 with the Unknown Land and Deadly Mantis..which was a mistake unless your nine years old both of these films should only be watched with a lot of weed or a suitcase of bud

Or with Mike and the 'bots from "MST3K" providing snarky remarks, which was the case for "Deadly Mantis" (an early Season 8 experiment) with great results: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4h40zxEIoU. 8)
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:38 am

molly1216 wrote:The Cat and the Canary (1927) - damn i loved Paul Leni's visuals...expressionist cinema is sorely missed if you ask me.

The Mummy (1931) Karl Freund's visuals will do, though he's not a terribly great director this is a damn good film..i am just always sad about the dog..

I work up in the middle of the night and skipped ahead to 1957 with the Unknown Land and Deadly Mantis..which was a mistake unless your nine years old both of these films should only be watched with a lot of weed or a suitcase of bud. I'm saving Monolith Monsters for October, that doesn't suck in my opinion.

Best thing about The Deadly Mantis is the poster art with the title creature on the Washington Monument. Can't count the number of times, as a kid in the '50s, I got suckered into the theater by the "Coming Next Week!" poster. :evil:
Mentioning visuals-Just wondering if you've seen The Bat Whispers? It creaks badly and has the, seemingly prerequisite for this type of film, distracting comedy characters but wonderful visuals and a rare use of early widescreen.
hoytereden
County Attorney

Next

Return to Movies