Halloween watching thread

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:39 pm

mavrach wrote:Made it halfway through The Exorcist III and turned it off out of sheer boredom. George C. Scott got some funny lines out, but aside from that this was worthless. And this is saying a lot, considering that I made it all the way through part 2! I think I'm done with this series, and will just consider The Exorcist to be a solo movie from now on.


And just so we're clear, this was The Exorcist III, not Halloween III ;-)


Sorry, but I half to disagree with you on this one: I outright love Exorcist III. The film isn't so much a horror film as it is a somber character study of one man's troubled faith. The interaction between Scott and Dourif is fantastic, and it is a shame that some of Dourif's work was lost at the forced inclusion of Jason Miller and the Exorcist elemen with Father Morning. I've said it before, and I will say it again, but I hope that a proper directors cut that restores the film to Blatty's intentions happens one day.

On another note, Watched The Book of Blood, which I am working on a full review of along side Candyman for my set of horror reviews for next month. Short version: not all that great.
User avatar
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm
Location: The Great Country of the North

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Dunnyman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Future Man wrote:
Dunnyman wrote:Continuing my exploration of William Castle's lesser known films with Mr. Sardonicus,a creepy little morality tale disguised as a ghoul movie, once again, Castle scores big with a low budget. Yes, we have a creepy gothic castle with a fog machine working overtime, the required creepy looking manservant with a deformity, the terrified maid, and of course the totally fine damsel in distress, but it all works and delivers in spades. I know his big hits were 13 Ghosts and House On Haunted Hill, but so far, everything I've seen of his has been excellent.


I'm intrigued. Are these Castle flicks you've been watching part of a set?

Indeed, and best of all, you get the really good stuff, like a biopic of Castle, two episodes of the TV show he did, and a wealth of detail, behind the scenes, interviews with cast and crew, in short, just about anything you could ask for about the man. True, Macabre isn't in the set, nor is House On Haunted Hill, but anyone who's the least bit into film should alrewady have the latter, and the former is yet to appear on DVD or any home video format for that matter. However, the William Castle Film Festival was a big hit in NYC recently, and perhaps renewed interest in his work will get the rest of his films released soon.
http://www.amazon.com/Collection-Fright ... 287&sr=1-1
Watched Strait-Jacket this morning, and yow, it's his best yet, as Joan Crawford plays it so far over the top (did she ever act any other way?) that it approaches high art for chewing scenery, Dianne Baker is equally outstanding as her daughter, and a good time is had by all, the "murder" scene is especially good fun. Highly recommended.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
User avatar
Dunnyman
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:37 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Dan Mancini » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Bryan Pope wrote:Yeah, that's how I view the first Halloween, in its original form with none of that nonsense about Laurie being his sister.

For me, it's not even the stupidity of Laurie being Michael's sister (and that is stupid). It's that any sequel ruins the intent of Carpenter's ending, turning it into a really lame sequel tease when it's supposed to be a sly acknowledgement that the little kids are right and the adults are wrong: Michael Myers can't be explained by psychology; he's the bogeyman, pure and simple.
User avatar
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor
 
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:17 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:14 am

LAst night, watched Dark and Stormy Night. Ok, not a horror film, but a fun murder mystery pardoy.
User avatar
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm
Location: The Great Country of the North

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Dunnyman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:54 am

the5thghostbuster wrote:LAst night, watched Dark and Stormy Night. Ok, not a horror film, but a fun murder mystery pardoy.

"I just want my thirty five cents!"
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
User avatar
Dunnyman
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:37 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Dunnyman wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:LAst night, watched Dark and Stormy Night. Ok, not a horror film, but a fun murder mystery pardoy.

"I just want my thirty five cents!"


"Having those people killed was the best thing to happen to our case. It really solidified it."
User avatar
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm
Location: The Great Country of the North

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:19 am

User avatar
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm
Location: The Great Country of the North

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:11 am

The Last House on the Left (2009)
Meh. It's definitely more coherent than the original, and it's stacked with some solid talent, but the entire finale still felt contrived. I suspect the original screenplay is just a bad mix of realism and exploitation. Nothing would seem out of place if the flick was a typical masked killer meat grinder, but it tries so earnestly to be something more subtle that its ultra-violent bits come off as jarringly phony.

From Hell
This is the first time I'd seen this one, and it was a funny coincidence to check it out days after recording the Objection! episode in which we got into a side conversation about the much-maligned, responsible-for-all-evil Old White Men Cabal. So, even Jack the Ripper was a member of the cabal? I've never read the graphic novel, but the movie isn't half as clever a Ripper story as it seems to think it is. And Depp's character is entirely out of place.
User avatar
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor
 
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:17 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Bryan Pope » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:17 am

Dan Mancini wrote:From Hell
This is the first time I'd seen this one, and it was a funny coincidence to check it out days after recording the Objection! episode in which we got into a side conversation about the much-maligned, responsible-for-all-evil Old White Men Cabal. So, even Jack the Ripper was a member of the cabal? I've never read the graphic novel, but the movie isn't half as clever a Ripper story as it seems to think it is. And Depp's character is entirely out of place.

I remember coming to this one with high expectations and being disappointed by it. My two favorite Jack the Ripper films are still Murder by Decree and Time After Time (pitting the Ripper against Sherlock Holmes and H.G. Wells, respectively).
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
User avatar
Bryan Pope
Judge
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:44 am
Location: Texas

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Andrew Forbes » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:19 pm

Bryan Pope wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:From HellThis is the first time I'd seen this one, and it was a funny coincidence to check it out days after recording the Objection! episode in which we got into a side conversation about the much-maligned, responsible-for-all-evil Old White Men Cabal. So, even Jack the Ripper was a member of the cabal? I've never read the graphic novel, but the movie isn't half as clever a Ripper story as it seems to think it is. And Depp's character is entirely out of place.

I remember coming to this one with high expectations and being disappointed by it. My two favorite Jack the Ripper films are still Murder by Decree and Time After Time (pitting the Ripper against Sherlock Holmes and H.G. Wells, respectively).

Murder by Decree is baller. I found Time After Time weak by comparison. It's a movie with a great cast and premise that is let down by the execution. From Hell is far from perfect, but it nailed the atmosphere and clinical horror of the Ripper legend, even if the conspiratorial elements were too much.
Formerly chamucamel
User avatar
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:43 am
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby mavrach » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:37 pm

The Lost Boys - At this point this is just one of my favorites. It's so much fun and is everything a vampire movie should be. Lots of laughs, funny eccentric characters, good villains. It even has a few "so bad it's good moments" that make it even better!

I also think this is the only truly good Joel Schumacher movie. He's tried and failed so many times to make a great movie, but this is the one that I will always go back to.
+1. this is very interesting.
User avatar
mavrach
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:41 am
Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby molly1216 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:52 am

Return of the Vampire (1944) - Columbia seemed to feel very uncomfortable at the idea of making a plain old run of the mill vampire film. It has a pre-title card which is sort of says..we are sorry that this is a fantasy film..and then they have to work in WWII and people escaping the nazi's. just having a vampire (and a werewolf) stalking people didn't seem to be enough for them, they had to give it a social conscious. If they had just gone and made the vampire a nazi they'd have a better picture. The film has a couple of things going for it...great misty graveyard...gotta love the set decorators - and in this film Lugosi's vampire actually bites a child. we haven't seen that before since the feeding the baby to the dracula wives is in the book.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
User avatar
molly1216
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: methuen, ma

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby hoytereden » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:36 pm

molly1216 wrote:Return of the Vampire (1944) - Columbia seemed to feel very uncomfortable at the idea of making a plain old run of the mill vampire film. It has a pre-title card which is sort of says..we are sorry that this is a fantasy film..and then they have to work in WWII and people escaping the nazi's. just having a vampire (and a werewolf) stalking people didn't seem to be enough for them, they had to give it a social conscious. If they had just gone and made the vampire a nazi they'd have a better picture. The film has a couple of things going for it...great misty graveyard...gotta love the set decorators - and in this film Lugosi's vampire actually bites a child. we haven't seen that before since the feeding the baby to the dracula wives is in the book.


Great to see Lugosi back as a vampire but clearly Columbia was not the place to do this type of film. Funny, because they did a pretty good job with the Karloff "Mad Scientist" series but here it was just a hodgepodge of things. Even as a kid I was confused about the werewolf talking and being no more than a Dwight Frye type of assistant to Lugosi. Like you said, it has great atmosphere and, additionally, has a unique demise for the vampire but, overall, a strange mix.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
User avatar
hoytereden
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:24 pm
Location: The Big Island of Hawaii

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby tucco » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:53 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
Bryan Pope wrote:Yeah, that's how I view the first Halloween, in its original form with none of that nonsense about Laurie being his sister.

For me, it's not even the stupidity of Laurie being Michael's sister (and that is stupid). It's that any sequel ruins the intent of Carpenter's ending, turning it into a really lame sequel tease when it's supposed to be a sly acknowledgement that the little kids are right and the adults are wrong: Michael Myers can't be explained by psychology; he's the bogeyman, pure and simple.


In a bit of irony, since the first version of HALLOWEEN I was exposed to was the TV version (I was 10 when it came out theatrically and my sister even younger so we weren't gonna see this one), I have a nostalgia for the extended version even though I agree the original version is the stuff.
I watch the extended version once a year during the Halloween season out of pure nostalgia from many, many years of seeing it on tv every year.....any other time of year, it's the original theatrical cut.
I wouldn't mind an extended version of HALLOWEEN II like they promised eons ago, with the extra scenes for tv. (Especially where the Shape knocks most of the power out in the hospital, which explains why it's so dark....and that wasn't even a tv scene.....wonder how THAT original scene didn't make it to either the Good Times or Universal DVD releases?
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1278
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:34 pm
Location: WARWICK, RI

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby BenSaylor » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:28 am

Began my seasonal viewing with a pair of late Hammer films: The Vampire Lovers and Vampire Circus, both on Netflix Instant Watch. Both are typically fun Hammer fare, but I'd give the edge to the wonderfully zany Vampire Circus. Next up is The Abominable Snowman.
BenSaylor
City Attorney
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:31 am

My full review of Graveyard Shift http://experiencecinematic.blogspot.com/2010/10/graveyard-shift-singleton-1990.html

Also, watched the 1978 BBC mini-series Count Dracula. A very effective film, with some truely creepy and unsettling moments. My only disapointment is Jordan's Dracula, not because he is bad in any way, but because he had been built up so much in advance that it just seems to fall short.
User avatar
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm
Location: The Great Country of the North

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby mavrach » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:38 pm

The Fly - This is one of my favorites at this point. It's one of the most graphic horror movies, but as a story it's plainly an intense drama. There's only the one climactic death scene, and there isn't a straight-up villain either. Brundle is a character that you sympathize with the whole time, if anything his fly side is the villain, but there's no point where you can truly root for his downfall.

Also this movie sidesteps the cliche of killing the creepy "bully" (for lack of a better word) character. Usually that character is just there to set up a satisfying death scene later on, but he's there for a reason and is treated respectfully even though he isn't particularly likeable.

And I love the casting of Jeff Goldblum & Geena Davis in such a dark movie. Neither one of them ever appeared in anything that remotely approached The Fly, and they're almost wrong for their roles. But they work because of that.
+1. this is very interesting.
User avatar
mavrach
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:41 am
Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:51 am

Tales From The Crypt : Bordello OF Blood - A few boobs, some blood and a couple of good laughs. What more do you want from a movie with that title? The best thing it's got going for it is Dennis Miller wisecracking his way throughout the film. Sure it's nothing but a third rate From Dusk 'Til Dawn but it's still good cheesy fun.
User avatar
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Watched Bride of Re-Animator last night. While I should have my full review up tomorrow, I will say that I dug the film despite some clear flaws.
User avatar
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm
Location: The Great Country of the North

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby BrettCullum » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:19 pm

I sat down last night and watched THE TERROR which is a Roger Corman film starring Boris Karloff and a young Jack Nicholson from 1963. Not a great film by any means, but has an almost painterly look to it. Thankfully I watched the ELVIRA hosted version from the latest run of MOVIE MACABRE, so some good jokes from her. I kind of enjoyed it in that "so bad it's ... well bad, but funny to watch" way.
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
User avatar
BrettCullum
Judge
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:11 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:29 pm

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956) - I know it's a classic and all but I think I prefer the 1978 version.
User avatar
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:50 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956) - I know it's a classic and all but I think I prefer the 1978 version.

That's okay because the '78 version is a classic, too. And also awesome.
User avatar
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor
 
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:17 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:16 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956) - I know it's a classic and all but I think I prefer the 1978 version.

That's okay because the '78 version is a classic, too. And also awesome.


Damn straight.
User avatar
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm
Location: The Great Country of the North

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby molly1216 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:35 pm

took some time off - been marathoning tv shows

Monsters Inc a neo classic hallmark card of a film, which disappointingly seems shorter every time i see it.
which lead me to
Little Monsters which i hadn't seen in decades. sort of low rent Roald Dahl, rather mean spirited in spots.
which sent me to
Beetlejuice still crazy charming after all these years. and still completely quotable. "If you don't let me gut out this house and make it my own, I will go insane, and I will take you with me!
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
User avatar
molly1216
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: methuen, ma

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:20 am

Friday the 13th (2009) - Yes, it's much-maligned, but I like it. The wacky sex and weed elements play as good-natured parody of the original series, yet the flick is mean as hell. Jason is very much in the style of the Parts II and III Jason, yet more wily. Some have slammed it for not having creative enough kills, but I don't quite get that. Sure, its deaths aren't over-the-top silly like those in later entries in the series, but they're vicious and memorable: a dude getting an arrow through the head, a topless chick hiding under a pier getting a machete through the skull, a cop impaled on a door, a dude getting a hurled axe between the shoulder blades, some nasty bear trap action, and a quick roast in a sleepbag. What do people want, a guy snapped in half in a collapsable bed or something?

The Mist - A modern horror flick that has the balls to be relentlessly bleak and not let the audience off the hook at the end. I love it. I'm generally not a Frank Darabont fanboy, but he hit this one out of the park. It has none of the overreaching saccharine emotion or narrative bloat that plague his other Stephen King adaptations. It's lean and very, very mean. Perfect.

Swamp Thing - Okay, I've now watched this and Last House on the Left, and , yes, I think A Nightmare on Elm Street is disposable '80s slasher fun. Still, remind me again why I'm supposed to think Wes Craven is a good filmmaker.

Return of the Living Dead - Still awesome fun. This would make a great double feature with Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror.
User avatar
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor
 
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:17 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:35 am

Roy Ward Baker, who directed British horror flicks for both Hammer and (later) Amicus, has passed away: http://rattiganwrites.blogspot.com/2010/10/roy-ward-baker-dies-at-93.html. There's a separate R.I.P. thread if you'd like to share your memories of Baker's horror output (as well as his non-horror work like "A Night To Remember").
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
User avatar
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3119
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:23 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:04 pm

User avatar
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm
Location: The Great Country of the North

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Future Man » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:37 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956) - I know it's a classic and all but I think I prefer the 1978 version.

That's okay because the '78 version is a classic, too. And also awesome.


I keep debating whether to upgrade to the new Blu-Ray version.
Future Man
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 9:05 pm

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby molly1216 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:06 am

more and more obscure stuff is being loaded on netflix but you have to really dig to find it. (instantwatcher.com)

I bury the Living (1958) i don't know why this only has 6.2 stars on IMDB..it was great!...they took off certain features so i cant find the budget for this little gem. but i thought it was as good as any Twilight Zone episode. Richard Boone, a board member of a family corp, gets drafted to oversee the local cemetery. The central feature of the film is a wallmap with black and white pins marking the plots. when he puts a black one in the people die...then he changes them from black to white!.. it was a very clever well made little movie, everyone took it seriously, it wasn't overly ambitious and it had a tight plot. and I did like the spooky visuals towards the end a la Hitchcock's Spellbound.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
User avatar
molly1216
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: methuen, ma

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby hoytereden » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:11 am

molly1216 wrote:more and more obscure stuff is being loaded on netflix but you have to really dig to find it. (instantwatcher.com)

I bury the Living (1958) i don't know why this only has 6.2 stars on IMDB..it was great!...they took off certain features so i cant find the budget for this little gem. but i thought it was as good as any Twilight Zone episode. Richard Boone, a board member of a family corp, gets drafted to oversee the local cemetery. The central feature of the film is a wallmap with black and white pins marking the plots. when he puts a black one in the people die...then he changes them from black to white!.. it was a very clever well made little movie, everyone took it seriously, it wasn't overly ambitious and it had a tight plot. and I did like the spooky visuals towards the end a la Hitchcock's Spellbound.


Agreed. I remember, back in the day, this being shown on our local horror package and how it stood out from the usual '50s horror film. Love Richard Boone anyway. I think you and I are the only ones who ever saw him in Goodnight, My Love.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
User avatar
hoytereden
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:24 pm
Location: The Big Island of Hawaii

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby molly1216 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:45 pm

hoytereden wrote:
molly1216 wrote:more and more obscure stuff is being loaded on netflix but you have to really dig to find it. (instantwatcher.com)

I bury the Living (1958) i don't know why this only has 6.2 stars on IMDB..it was great!...they took off certain features so i cant find the budget for this little gem. but i thought it was as good as any Twilight Zone episode. Richard Boone, a board member of a family corp, gets drafted to oversee the local cemetery. The central feature of the film is a wallmap with black and white pins marking the plots. when he puts a black one in the people die...then he changes them from black to white!.. it was a very clever well made little movie, everyone took it seriously, it wasn't overly ambitious and it had a tight plot. and I did like the spooky visuals towards the end a la Hitchcock's Spellbound.


Agreed. I remember, back in the day, this being shown on our local horror package and how it stood out from the usual '50s horror film. Love Richard Boone anyway. I think you and I are the only ones who ever saw him in Goodnight, My Love.

oh good god! i had nearly forgotten that! directed by Peter Hyams with Michael Dunn! didn't we have a crap copy of that at one time? it will probably turn up on netflix instant watch one day.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
User avatar
molly1216
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: methuen, ma

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:41 am

Weekend was busy with the Canadian Thanksgiving, but I did manage to sneak in Steve Miner's House and promptly reviewed it: http://experiencecinematic.blogspot.com/2010/10/house-miner-1986.html Short version: it doesn't quite work, but the effort is apprieciated.
User avatar
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm
Location: The Great Country of the North

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby molly1216 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:58 am

still skating around Netflix (i am too lazy to roll over and push a disc in the slot)

found Angry Red Planet (1959) which is obviously seriously dated with some peculiar special effects. but you can see buried deeply a plot that was later reused in every sci fi show to come. earthlings arrive, misunderstand, start blasting things and kicking over the furniture and escape with their lives..then the aliens say 'dont' come back or else'. Mars consists of a lot of papermache sets, a grabby tentacled rubber plant, a giant angry rat on spider legs etc...but it is all distorted by what can only be described as a deep red solarizing effect so you aren't actually distracted by the 'fakeness' of it all. this movie would probably be better if i were high.

and a little American International gem called Attack of the Puppet People which i hadn't seen in FOREVER....like all the other me-shrink-you films...mad scientist (in this instance a doll maker who obviously took a night course in particle physics)...shrinks anyone he fancies and plays with them. they rebel and wackiness ensues. The dialogue is a little wonky..but the production values are decent, it plays like a twilight zone episode...john hoyt the ubiquitous TZ alum..another film where i just don't understand why IMDB gives so low a rating...it DOESN'T suck. it's at leat a 5 or 6. but certainly not a 3.4! my god plan 9 has a 3.6!! apparently their ratings are a joke. I am going to pick up puppet people and add it to my drive in movie collection..as a matter of fact..John Agar takes his date to the drive in to see....Amazing Colossal Man....where is THAT?????
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
User avatar
molly1216
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: methuen, ma

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby mavrach » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:56 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:Swamp Thing - Okay, I've now watched this and Last House on the Left, and , yes, I think A Nightmare on Elm Street is disposable '80s slasher fun. Still, remind me again why I'm supposed to think Wes Craven is a good filmmaker.

[/b].


I watched Swamp Thing too the other day, and I've got to agree that it's not a very good movie by any means. I did enjoy the campy peformances from Adrienne Barbeau, Louis Jordan, and Ray Wise though. The rest of the movie is pure cheese and gets to be dreary at points. The hero is just a roaring monster with no characterization after he gets turned, so there isn't much to root for And the villain's ultimate goal is to turn himself into a feral goat monster???

Craven hasn't hit gold much for me. I think The Hills Have Eyes is his only really good movie, and that was mostly because it was a good low-budget movie that made the most of what it had. Elm Street is a childhood favorite, but beyond the initial concept it isn't a good movie.
+1. this is very interesting.
User avatar
mavrach
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:41 am
Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:37 pm

mavrach wrote:Craven hasn't hit gold much for me. I think The Hills Have Eyes is his only really good movie, and that was mostly because it was a good low-budget movie that made the most of what it had. Elm Street is a childhood favorite, but beyond the initial concept it isn't a good movie.


I respectfully diagree. Elm Street still holds up for me and I also really like The Serpent And The Rainbow, The People Under The Stairs and New Nightmare. But then I like the cheese and Craven is always good for that.... r I have to say that My Soul To Take looks really bad though, and this is coming from a guy who enjoyed Cursed...
User avatar
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 pm
Location: Montréal, Québec

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:09 pm

User avatar
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm
Location: The Great Country of the North

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:58 am

Re-Animator - Ah, memories. Great fun.

Species - How did they get such a solid cast for this pos? It's like Alien meets Zalman King. I'd somehow managed to go all this time without seeing it. I should've kept the streak going.

Pandorum - Orcs in spaaaaaace!

Day of the Dead (2008) - Steve Miner's remake of Romero's flick starts off weak but actually builds steam in its second and third acts. It's not a good movie (no, sir!), but at least Miner knows how to shoot horror.

The Burning - a blatant Friday the 13th ripoff that's notable for it's awesome cast of then unknowns: Jason Alexander, Fisher Stevens, Brian Backer (Ratner in Fast Times at Ridgemont High), and Holly Hunter in a small role. What's even weirder is that they're all surprisingly good given the lameness of the material.

The Silent Scream - another '80s novelty slasher via Netflix streaming. This one features Yvonne DeCarlo, Barbara Steele, and Cameron Mitchell. The plot borrows too heavily from Psycho, but the movie has an appealing texture. Released in 1980, it has more in common with Bob Clark's '70s slasher Black Christmas than the many faceless killer franchises of the '80s.
User avatar
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor
 
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:17 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:03 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
Species - How did they get such a solid cast for this pos? It's like Alien meets Zalman King. I'd somehow managed to go all this time without seeing it. I should've kept the streak going.


Saw it once, and only once in theatre. Then bought a copy at the local Wal Mart on VHS because Natasha Henstridge was elsewhere in the mall and I needed an excuse to go say "hey". We wound up chatting for ten minutes or so and she told me how excited she was to be doing a movie with Jean Claude Van Damme. She was a sweetheart.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:33 am

Steve T Power wrote:...she told me how excited she was to be doing a movie with Jean Claude Van Damme.

That alone potentially makes her the coolest chick ever.
User avatar
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor
 
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:17 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:31 am

Dan Mancini wrote:The Burning - a blatant Friday the 13th ripoff that's notable for it's awesome cast of then unknowns: Jason Alexander, Fisher Stevens, Brian Backer (Ratner in Fast Times at Ridgemont High), and Holly Hunter in a small role. What's even weirder is that they're all surprisingly good given the lameness of the material.

The Weinstein Bros. empire starts here. :D As a "Law & Order" whore I got a kick from watching Ned Eisenberg (a chameleon character actor best known for playing a slimy defense attorney on "SVU") as one of the teenagers in "The Burning." And who knew that once upon a time Jason Alexander had hair... up there? :shock:
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
User avatar
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3119
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:23 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby hoytereden » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:26 am

molly1216 wrote:
hoytereden wrote:
molly1216 wrote:more and more obscure stuff is being loaded on netflix but you have to really dig to find it. (instantwatcher.com)

I bury the Living (1958) i don't know why this only has 6.2 stars on IMDB..it was great!...they took off certain features so i cant find the budget for this little gem. but i thought it was as good as any Twilight Zone episode. Richard Boone, a board member of a family corp, gets drafted to oversee the local cemetery. The central feature of the film is a wallmap with black and white pins marking the plots. when he puts a black one in the people die...then he changes them from black to white!.. it was a very clever well made little movie, everyone took it seriously, it wasn't overly ambitious and it had a tight plot. and I did like the spooky visuals towards the end a la Hitchcock's Spellbound.


Agreed. I remember, back in the day, this being shown on our local horror package and how it stood out from the usual '50s horror film. Love Richard Boone anyway. I think you and I are the only ones who ever saw him in Goodnight, My Love.

oh good god! i had nearly forgotten that! directed by Peter Hyams with Michael Dunn! didn't we have a crap copy of that at one time? it will probably turn up on netflix instant watch one day.

Yea, I had a VHS crap copy I made off the New York Superstation way back in the day and I sent you a copy of that. Which would make it a copy of a crap copy. :?
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
User avatar
hoytereden
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:24 pm
Location: The Big Island of Hawaii

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby hoytereden » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:33 am

mavrach wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:Swamp Thing - Okay, I've now watched this and Last House on the Left, and , yes, I think A Nightmare on Elm Street is disposable '80s slasher fun. Still, remind me again why I'm supposed to think Wes Craven is a good filmmaker.

[/b].


I watched Swamp Thing too the other day, and I've got to agree that it's not a very good movie by any means. I did enjoy the campy peformances from Adrienne Barbeau, Louis Jordan, and Ray Wise though. The rest of the movie is pure cheese and gets to be dreary at points. The hero is just a roaring monster with no characterization after he gets turned, so there isn't much to root for And the villain's ultimate goal is to turn himself into a feral goat monster???

If you have the recalled version- There are two more big reasons to enjoy this film.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
User avatar
hoytereden
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:24 pm
Location: The Big Island of Hawaii

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:41 am

hoytereden wrote:If you have the recalled version- There are two more big reasons to enjoy this film.

I streamed it on Netflix, so the Barbeaus didn't break the waterline...unfortunately.
User avatar
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor
 
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:17 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby hoytereden » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:44 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
hoytereden wrote:If you have the recalled version- There are two more big reasons to enjoy this film.

I streamed it on Netflix, so the Barbeaus didn't break the waterline...unfortunately.

I would have thought those bad boys would have floated on their own. They must have had her wearing lead boots for the domestic version.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
User avatar
hoytereden
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:24 pm
Location: The Big Island of Hawaii

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby mavrach » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:41 pm

hoytereden wrote:If you have the recalled version- There are two more big reasons to enjoy this film.


It was a side-shot, but quite nice :D I actually saw Adrienne Barbeau at a book signing about a month ago and she told everybody that you can't get that version in America. I pictured some kind of a frontal angle, but still wow.
+1. this is very interesting.
User avatar
mavrach
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:41 am
Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby molly1216 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:04 am

Man from Planet X (1951) another 6 day feature from Edgar Ulmer..whom i really really really respect. shot on leftover sets from a Bergman's joan of arc film flooded with fog and labeled 'scotland' - it is your typical 50's invaders from mars story...alien with nefarious plans arrives in a backwater, people run around scared, somehow rebuff alien invasion, aliens retreat, humans vow to keep watching the skies - all for around 50K. Decent actors, great use of standing sets and some okay miniature work and a not half bad script, makes me love these little cheap old productions a lot more than most big ticket films produced in the last few decades. These seemed to have a lot more 'love' in them...i mean seriously these actors and crew could have made more money working in a canning factory than they did on one of these shoots, but still they showed up and they gave it a good college try - but without the Ed Wood wobbly sets and bad acting. The only thing i didn't love was the obvious papermache alien head, it could have been more effective with a rubber mask - even a net stocking to create a ''faceless' alien - perhaps he wanted to create an alien face that could have been benign or evil...Looks like i will be buying this one too.

Journey to the Seventh Planet (1962)...now this is a POS...a rather haphazard chop suey of space story themes..it attempts too much and accomplishes too little. Shot in Denmark as a companion piece to Reptilicus (for my money a better film)...it tosses the space as personal illusion trope in with a poorly shot live 'giant' tarantula and a most surprisingly cool stop motion monster...
Image
I can forgive a lot but this film had so many mis-steps, it would be painful to watch again unless there is a MST3K verison of it out there.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
User avatar
molly1216
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: methuen, ma

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby hoytereden » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:13 am

molly1216 wrote:Man from Planet X (1951) another 6 day feature from Edgar Ulmer..whom i really really really respect. shot on leftover sets from a Bergman's joan of arc film flooded with fog and labeled 'scotland' - it is your typical 50's invaders from mars story...alien with nefarious plans arrives in a backwater, people run around scared, somehow rebuff alien invasion, aliens retreat, humans vow to keep watching the skies - all for around 50K. Decent actors, great use of standing sets and some okay miniature work and a not half bad script, makes me love these little cheap old productions a lot more than most big ticket films produced in the last few decades. These seemed to have a lot more 'love' in them...i mean seriously these actors and crew could have made more money working in a canning factory than they did on one of these shoots, but still they showed up and they gave it a good college try - but without the Ed Wood wobbly sets and bad acting. The only thing i didn't love was the obvious papermache alien head, it could have been more effective with a rubber mask - even a net stocking to create a ''faceless' alien - perhaps he wanted to create an alien face that could have been benign or evil...Looks like i will be buying this one too.

Journey to the Seventh Planet (1962)...now this is a POS...a rather haphazard chop suey of space story themes..it attempts too much and accomplishes too little. Shot in Denmark as a companion piece to Reptilicus (for my money a better film)...it tosses the space as personal illusion trope in with a poorly shot live 'giant' tarantula and a most surprisingly cool stop motion monster...
Image
I can forgive a lot but this film had so many mis-steps, it would be painful to watch again unless there is a MST3K verison of it out there.

Good call on Man From Planet X. Ulmer does a lot with a little and manages to create a eerie little film. BTW-the nickname on the set for the creature was "the douche bag" so even they knew it looked bad.
I saw Jouney to the Seventh Planet in the theater, when I was a kid, and I don't remember a thing about it. Must have been bad for me not to recall it at all.
Try watching It! The Terror From Beyond Space. A fun film and clearly the blueprint for Alien. I love it.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
User avatar
hoytereden
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:24 pm
Location: The Big Island of Hawaii

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby Dunnyman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:47 pm

mavrach wrote:
hoytereden wrote:If you have the recalled version- There are two more big reasons to enjoy this film.


It was a side-shot, but quite nice :D I actually saw Adrienne Barbeau at a book signing about a month ago and she told everybody that you can't get that version in America. I pictured some kind of a frontal angle, but still wow.

To which I say, thank God for hacks to easily convert to Region Free on most players.

Dan Mancini wrote:The Silent Scream - another '80s novelty slasher via Netflix streaming. This one features Yvonne DeCarlo, Barbara Steele, and Cameron Mitchell. The plot borrows too heavily from Psycho, but the movie has an appealing texture. Released in 1980, it has more in common with Bob Clark's '70s slasher Black Christmas than the many faceless killer franchises of the '80s.

Don't forget late 70's uber-cutie Rebecca Balding! Recently caught it myself, and dug it immensely. Looked it up afterwards and didn't realize that what we eventually got was 85% reshot after a break of nearly a year when the original film was hacked to bits in editing.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
User avatar
Dunnyman
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:37 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby molly1216 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:50 pm

hoytereden wrote:Try watching It! The Terror From Beyond Space. A fun film and clearly the blueprint for Alien. I love it.
I already own that one...i get annoyed at how the women are the galley cooks/housekeepers on the ship. one of these days i need to make a list of the non-sexist classic sci fi films. (i mean pre-1960 so don't start.)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
User avatar
molly1216
County Prosecutor
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: methuen, ma

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby hoytereden » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:51 pm

molly1216 wrote:
hoytereden wrote:Try watching It! The Terror From Beyond Space. A fun film and clearly the blueprint for Alien. I love it.
I already own that one...i get annoyed at how the women are the galley cooks/housekeepers on the ship. one of these days i need to make a list of the non-sexist classic sci fi films. (i mean pre-1960 so don't start.)

Might be a short list, sorry to say. Even The Thing From Another World's Margaret Sheridan serves coffee and she's one of Howard Hawks tough-as-nails gals.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
User avatar
hoytereden
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:24 pm
Location: The Big Island of Hawaii

PreviousNext

Return to Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

cron