Halloween watching thread

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby molly1216 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:07 am

hoytereden wrote:
molly1216 wrote:
hoytereden wrote:Try watching It! The Terror From Beyond Space. A fun film and clearly the blueprint for Alien. I love it.
I already own that one...i get annoyed at how the women are the galley cooks/housekeepers on the ship. one of these days i need to make a list of the non-sexist classic sci fi films. (i mean pre-1960 so don't start.)

Might be a short list, sorry to say. Even The Thing From Another World's Margaret Sheridan serves coffee and she's one of Howard Hawks tough-as-nails gals.

nah i have some of my drive in movies where the wimmen are geeks...high hair and lipstick and in need of saving but still, i will try to figure it out.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:33 am

hoytereden wrote:Might be a short list, sorry to say. Even The Thing From Another World's Margaret Sheridan serves coffee and she's one of Howard Hawks tough-as-nails gals.

I was more interested in the Mrs Chapman character from Thing from Another world she's the Medical Officer for the outpost. But Hawks portrayed her as just another one of the scientists in the background which was a much more 'equal' position, than someone for Kenneth Tobey to flirt with. But i'd bet that Sheridan's character had degrees of her own.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:39 am

The Dead Zone - One of the best Stephen King adaptation benefits from a streamlined narrative, sure-handed direction from Cronenberg, an intense and affecting performance from Walken, a scarily real turn by Martin Sheen and from a haunting Michael Kamen score. As other Cronenberg films it deals with trauma- both physical and mental.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:46 pm

molly1216 wrote:
hoytereden wrote:
molly1216 wrote:
hoytereden wrote:Try watching It! The Terror From Beyond Space. A fun film and clearly the blueprint for Alien. I love it.
I already own that one...i get annoyed at how the women are the galley cooks/housekeepers on the ship. one of these days i need to make a list of the non-sexist classic sci fi films. (i mean pre-1960 so don't start.)

Might be a short list, sorry to say. Even The Thing From Another World's Margaret Sheridan serves coffee and she's one of Howard Hawks tough-as-nails gals.

nah i have some of my drive in movies where the wimmen are geeks...high hair and lipstick and in need of saving but still, i will try to figure it out.

I thought of a couple-The leading ladies in:
It Came From Beneath the Sea
Them
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:15 pm

i bought a crap copy of horror at 37,000 feet (1973) and surprisingly it is exactly as creepy as it was in 1973.
low-budget w/ simple homemade special effects, a bunch of tv stock characters selling it for all its worth...and an excellent creepy sound effects track. It would be most excellent fodder for a remake - supernatural threat in midair in today's paranoid climate? gives me the chills.

the Cat Creature (1973) another tv horror movie, not Val Lewton as it plays like an episode of Kolchak and that's not necessarily a bad thing. the things you can accomplish with creepy music and cat shadow on a window shade.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:34 pm

you know i am just figuring out that giving a movie the MST3K treatment does not make it any more watchable. 8(
Sat through MST3K: First Spaceship on Venus painful...and i remember none of it.
At least with non MST3K films you can FFWD through some of it to get to the 'good' parts, but since some of the good parts is the comments you are afraid to miss any.

Fright Night in 1985 I thought this was awesome... as good as the 79 Salem's Lot..and I still think it's pretty awesome...How can you NOT love Roddy McDowell..though Sarandon's Vamp seems to have been shades of things to come...a precursor to all the Metrosexual vampires we have now. STILL the seduction scene works and will be very very hard to beat in the new version..but if anyone can pull it off, it will be Marti Noxon. But put Tennant and Farrell on the same screen and i may have the vapors.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Future Man » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:57 pm

molly1216 wrote:

Molly I thought you were prone not to harshly judge old films about stuff like this...? I recall being excoriated as a young verdict member for pointing out a racially charged nickname in Lifeboat.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:28 pm

Caught a couple of the old Elvira Movie Macabre's on hulu since i don't have access to the new ones....she IS the best thing but sometimes the movies aren't worth sitting through..as with The house the Screamed..unless you like girls schools and whipping..but even if you do, there isn't enough in here to entertain you.

Werewolf of Washington (1974) with Dean Stockwell drags for a while..but then at one hour and 5 minutes it gets a terrific shot of David Lynch surrealism and I started paying attention...
Dean in full on wolf makeup lopes through what looks like a power station under the white house? to find the incomperable Michael Dunn to scratch his chin, there is what looks like a Frankenstein/corpse chained to a table and a gimp in a cage...Dean sniffs his butt and then continues on his merry. Then Dunn and the President have a short conversation about a 'project' and that's all the exposition we get. very disheartening..that was the BEST part of the picture..and hinted at what would have been a much better picture. 8(
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:45 pm

molly1216 wrote:you know i am just figuring out that giving a movie the MST3K treatment does not make it any more watchable. 8(
Sat through MST3K: First Spaceship on Venus painful...and i remember none of it.
At least with non MST3K films you can FFWD through some of it to get to the 'good' parts, but since some of the good parts is the comments you are afraid to miss any.

This is an exception ot the rule, a truly wretched movie that gets a really bad MST3K riffing (almost KTMA or S1 bad). "The Leech Woman" (remember that one? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3isect5NY8A&feature=related) and many other low-budget horror flicks they did are laugh-out loud funny, not the five or so lame one's that are up on Hulu (of which, sadly, "First Spaceship to Venus," is one). Please don't judge "MST3K" based on the bad apple you picked. :(
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:56 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:
molly1216 wrote:you know i am just figuring out that giving a movie the MST3K treatment does not make it any more watchable. 8(

This is an exception ot the rule, a truly wretched movie that gets a really bad MST3K riffing (almost KTMA or S1 bad). "The Leech Woman" (remember that one? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3isect5NY8A&feature=related) and many other low-budget horror flicks they did are laugh-out loud funny, not the five or so lame one's that are up on Hulu (of which, sadly, "First Spaceship to Venus," is one). Please don't judge "MST3K" based on the bad apple you picked. :(

i didn't realize there were some on hulu

these are on Netflix instant:
MST3K: Horrors of Spider Island
MST3K: The Corpse Vanishes
MST3K: The Final Sacrifice
MST3K: The Killer Shrews
MST3K: The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy
MST3K: The Wild World of Batwoman
MST3K: Warrior of the Lost World
MST3K: Werewolf

these are on Hulu
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Horrors of Spider Island
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Monster A-Go-Go
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Ring of Terror
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Secret Agent Super Dragon
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Giant Gila Monster
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Rebel Set
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Starfighters

of course there are more on Netflix to rent
but i wouldn't want to waste a rental on one.

btw so far Phantom Planet is an excellent commentary
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:44 pm

Ok, last little while:

I Sell the Dead - fun, but nothing that really sticks with you after watching. The narrative is a bit too loose and predictible, and while full of atmosphere, it just never comes together as it should.

The Omen (1976) - first time watching, and while its slick and fun, at no point did I find it scary, which is saying something given that films of this nature usuallly scare the hell out of me. I'll say more in the full review.

Curse of Frankenstein(1957) - excellent loose adaptation of the novel, with Cushing owning every moment of this film.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Two Evil Eyes. Romero's half works pretty well as a Creepshow-like throwback to EC Comics' karmic retribution stories. Argento's half is awful, lacking not only the director's usual style but any shred of character motivation as well.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Dunnyman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:36 pm

Ok, went with a crapfest last night and enjoyed Class Of Nuke 'Em High, which was it's Troma-licious wretched self, horrible dialogue, horrible acting, and even for a Troma release, horrendously bad sets and FX. It gets one star however for a cameo appearance by a very, very young, Smithereens, blasting out their EP's leadoff "Much Too Much", despite it's many flaws, it's a harmless enough way to kill 90 minutes and have a few laughs. Having another JR member give a semi-decent review to The Burning, I tried it, and it's just weak, the kills aren't interesting, the characters are very poorly done, and despite a young Jason Alexander, this thing was a pale imitation of Friday The 13th. From this the Wienstien Empire grew?
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Mach6 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:26 am

RED: I was actually surprised by how much fun this was. The plot & story has been done a million times before but good acting & comedy with a high hits-to-misses ratio can carry it. Malkovich's paranoid nutcase performance is easily the best reason to see this. Be Warned: This is mostly the Bruce Willis & Malkovich Show for two-thirds of the movie so you don't get to see a lot of "The Band" getting back together to kick ass. It's too bad because Helen Mirren & Bryan Cox had good chemistry with the limited time they were given.

On a unrelated topic, during the Bears game, I saw a ton of commercials/previews for Skyline. Forget about Jonah Hex or The Last Airbender, Ladies & Gentlemen we have our new worst movie of the year candidate. The guy who played Milo from 24 is the main hero?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby tucco » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:54 pm

WITCHCRAFT (1964, Lon Chaney Jr.)

Dated, quaint, innocuous but a lot of fun and some creepy scenes.
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Boba Fett » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:04 pm

OK, someone explain the original SALEM'S LOT to me?

I hear people talk about it being a classic, but all I saw was 3hrs of dull buildup to a so-so final act. Barlow was essentially a cameo and James Mason phoned it in. To top it off, David Soul has the charisma of a board and is forced to carry the first two-thirds of the film. Yes, the floating kids were creepy, but that's about it.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby Boba Fett » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:13 pm

hoytereden wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:I've never seen Exorcist II or Halloween II for that matter.

I agree with you on Exorcist III. Stay far away from Exorcist II -- it's truly awful. All Halloween sequels (and remakes) are best ignored as they undermine the entire point of the first film's ending. As far as I'm concerned, Halloween is a one-off John Carpenter movie.

Exorcist II is a real hoot! Linda Blair tap dancing! Louise Fletcher and her with those stupid things on their heads during the mind probe sequence! Richard Burton at his hammiest! What's not to like! :lol:

Richard Burton was wasted out of his mind throughout production of that movie.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby Bryan Pope » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:00 am

Boba Fett wrote:OK, someone explain the original SALEM'S LOT to me?

I hear people talk about it being a classic, but all I saw was 3hrs of dull buildup to a so-so final act. Barlow was essentially a cameo and James Mason phoned it in. To top it off, David Soul has the charisma of a board and is forced to carry the first two-thirds of the film. Yes, the floating kids were creepy, but that's about it.

I would have disagreed with you completely if it was 1979 and I was a first-grader, which was when this movie scared the living crap out of me. But some things really are better left to memory. I revisited it a few years ago and found only a few isolated scares (albeit really good ones -- the aforementioned Glick boys, the upstairs rocking chair scene, the open grave scene) and an otherwise dull teleplay and duller performances. King's original novel is one of his best, though. You should read it this Halloween if you haven't already.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 am

Bryan Pope wrote:

I would have disagreed with you completely if it was 1979 and I was a first-grader, which was when this movie scared the living crap out of me. But some things really are better left to memory. I revisited it a few years ago and found only a few isolated scares (albeit really good ones -- the aforementioned Glick boys, the upstairs rocking chair scene, the open grave scene) and an otherwise dull teleplay and duller performances. King's original novel is one of his best, though. You should read it this Halloween if you haven't already.

Indeed in 1979 i was 17 and it was spooky as hell...it was a tv movie..and it was great in comparison to the other tv movies at the time..it was the Night Stalker of 1979. Basically it was all anyone talked about..and yes in retrospect it is lacking and compared to big screen productions and what is being done on cable tv it can't stand up...but in 1979...it was wicked eerie..and will always hold a place in my heart.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:14 am

Ivan Tor's Gog (1954) which surprisingly stands up, if a bit wobbly. If they had taken the money they put into 3D and widescreen and improved the production design and those spectacularly crummy looking robots...they may have had something..it's not Forbidden Planet good but it could have been. ...the plot is decent: a group of scientists (of both sexes) working on science projects for spaceflight in a multilevel underground base in the the desert...Area 51 perhaps?... there has been one suspicious death which brings in our hero character to investigate ..the place is locked down and more science based murders occur...wackiness ensues.....This may be a film worth of remake.. we have certainly entered into an age as paranoid as the 50s, and the science albeit a bit wonky isn't too far out there - i found it way better than it should have been. On the whole I wish it was on a studio release DVD.

Which of course prompts a revisit to It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958) - i was wrong the two women characters ARE scientists..one is a geologist and one is a doctor...but they are both part time galley slaves while the men sit around and smoke and play cheese...[gnash teeth] ...this bothers me in THIS movie..because the rest of the film is so bloody good. okay..smoking in spaceship, setting off grenades inside your own ship..(what are you doing with a grenade in space?) ..having store rooms that are as disorganized as a Bowery waterfront ...all aside... the monster in the dark, stalking the ships crew was a great concept, else it wouldn't have been stolen by Ridley and many others. Has anyone else noticed that the ships interiors look a lot like the Jupiter 2?
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby OperaGal » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:30 am

Ah, been long overdue for one of my faves - Peeping Tom. Watched my lovely Criterion copy last night :)
Each time I watch it, I'm even more fascinated with it. Enjoy the actors and the overall tone of the movie.

Also, been trying to catch some Oct. goodies on TCM and recently stumbled across 'The Gorgon'(only caught half of it).
Not really scary, but seemed quite good from what I saw. And I do love Christopher Lee!
Hope that it airs again soon, would like to see the whole movie...

:D
"Jaws was never my scene - And I don't like Star Wars" ;p
OperaGal
Paralegal

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:52 am

molly1216 wrote:
Bryan Pope wrote:

Indeed in 1979 i was 17 and it was spooky as hell...it was a tv movie..and it was great in comparison to the other tv movies at the time..it was the Night Stalker of 1979. Basically it was all anyone talked about..and yes in retrospect it is lacking and compared to big screen productions and what is being done on cable tv it can't stand up...but in 1979...it was wicked eerie..and will always hold a place in my heart.

King's original novel holds the distinction of scaring the hell out of me by in high school in the middle of the day, the key scene being the confrontation between the priest and the vampire. Was just left unsettled for the rest of the day. I watched the mini-series shortly thereafter, and had they managed to get that scene right, I would have forgiven everything else they managed to get wrong. They didn't.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:52 pm

Hollow Man. This one's underrated if you ask me. Verhoeven twists the Science Gone Awry genre quite cleverly (specifically the '90s variety that loved to throw in lots of technobabble about DNA and molecular bonding). Not only is the monster a result of the impulse to play God, it's the very personality behind that impulse. That the movie devolves into a standard thriller finale is par for the course, given the formula it's playing with. The movie suffers from being smart enough to suggest a less conventional film, despite never intending to stray too far from the boundaries established by the genre. If you're going to watch a slasher flick, why not watch one as playful and pretty as this one, especially when it's willing to explore the dark possibilities suggested by the power of invisibility, if only briefly?

Also, invisible f***ing gorillas!
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Bryan Pope » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:19 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:Hollow Man... If you're going to watch a slasher flick, why not watch one as playful and pretty as this one, especially when it's willing to explore the dark possibilities suggested by the power of invisibility, if only briefly?

I saw this in the theater. The fun stopped for me when he brutally killed that caged puppy for no reason.

I must have a soft spot for puppies.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:42 am

Bryan Pope wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:Hollow Man... If you're going to watch a slasher flick, why not watch one as playful and pretty as this one, especially when it's willing to explore the dark possibilities suggested by the power of invisibility, if only briefly?

I saw this in the theater. The fun stopped for me when he brutally killed that caged puppy for no reason.
I must have a soft spot for puppies.

It wasn't for no reason, even if it was an extreme overreaction. Movies didn't invent the concept of animal cruelty, so it doesn't take me out of a movie if it makes sense in the context of the story. It was perfectly in line with the character.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Future Man » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:08 am

Dark Night of the Scarecrow
Well it did scare me as a youngster on TV.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:58 am

the5thghostbuster wrote:
molly1216 wrote:
Bryan Pope wrote:

King's original novel holds the distinction of scaring the hell out of me by in high school in the middle of the day, the key scene being the confrontation between the priest and the vampire. Was just left unsettled for the rest of the day. I watched the mini-series shortly thereafter, and had they managed to get that scene right, I would have forgiven everything else they managed to get wrong. They didn't.

we also forget this is well before the time when the market was saturated with vampirism in books movies and tv.
in 79 there were a few pastiches and the odd movie now and then but it was pre buffy, pre anne rice (interview was pubbed in 76 but was still a cult novel), the only thing it was POST was Barnabus Collins and he was never very scary. So in essence it was a breakthrough in the Vampires in your own backyard genre.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:47 am

^^^^I also remember watching the original broadcast, with some friends, and Barlow's entrance was both scary and shockingly violent (for the time). Plus, if I'm not mistaken, that's about where part 1 ended. I looked over at my friends and they seemed like they were in a state of shock-One guy even said "I don't want to walk home, I keep seeing that green guy!" Good times. :D
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:52 pm

Terror Train
Despite a lame premise, it's a fun little slasher from 1980 starring Jamie Lee Curtis. It also has Ben Johnson and David Copperfield in small roles.

Mars Attacks!
I hadn't seen the flick in at least a decade, but my opinion hasn't changed: It's a fun idea that overstays its welcome by at least 20 minutes, if not longer. Five minutes in, I was wondering why I didn't own it on BD. After 90 minutes, I'd stopped wondering.

Dead and Buried
A spectacularly forgettable take on the zombie genre.

Vampyres
Uh...yeah. I prefer my naked vampires less hairy...or my hairy vampires less naked.

The Toolbox Murders (1978)
The first 30 minutes are awesomely gory and atmospheric, then the movie careens downhill for the remainder of its run. Cameron Mitchell, though. And Pamelyn Ferdin. And some dude who looks like Mark Hamill. And some other dude who looks like that guy from BJ and the Bear.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:28 pm

Play Misty For Me - A very assured directorial debut from Clint Eastwood. Although the film's editing style is dated, this is probably the best ''woman scorned'' thriller I've seen. It puts stuff like Fatal Attraction where it belongs, in the garbage bin. I just wish I could have seen it back in '71 when this type of film was practically unheard of.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:47 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:Play Misty For Me - A very assured directorial debut from Clint Eastwood.

Right on. It's very Don Siegel-esque. Also, Jessica Walter is awesome in it.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:38 am

Warlock (1989) one of my favorite clever little B Movies...great use of evil witchcraft...finally one that wasn't a teenage girl. though Lori Singer's dialogue is hideously inappropriate, Richard Grants is totally quotable...one of the few men who can pull off the mullet.

Mimic (1997) where science meets creepy with a side of ick. a great director takes on material other decent directors wouldn't touch. No matter how scientific and geeky it wants to get, it brings the story down to just monsters in the dark...

Demon Knight (1995) another one of my favorite little films...serious cast...great special effects...nice rework of christomythology themes...and a terrific villain. worth finding and rewatching now and then.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:49 am

molly1216 wrote:
Demon Knight (1995) another one of my favorite little films...serious cast...great special effects...nice rework of christomythology themes...and a terrific villain. worth finding and rewatching now and then.

It also had one of Megadeth's best tunes on the soundtrack! But i'm sure you knew that already J ;)
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby OperaGal » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:50 pm

A Demon in My View -
And just when I thought I'd see most all of the Anthony Perkins movies, especially the ones towards the end, this one pops up.
How'd I ever miss this one? Anyhoo, there was something eerily familiar about this movie...perhaps from earlier in Perkins career. ;)
Found his accent rather intriguing, wasn't expecting that. Not bad overall - a couple suspenseful moments and some funny ones too.

:)
OperaGal
Paralegal

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:49 am

John Carpenter's THE FOG (1980): this would be almost mandotary October 31st viewing if Carpenter and producer Debra Hill (R.I.P.) hadn't given the holiday its own self-titled horror classic. Gorgeously framed and dripping with atmosphere, "The Fog" perfectly captures the cinematic appeal of being scared by unexplained supernatural events that kept us at night when we were young and innocent (John Houseman sets up the movie's premise at the start with tongue-in-cheek firmly in cheek). Even though the low-key ghost tale of Antonio Bay's 100th anniversary coming back to haunt its residents had to be reshot to up the gore/violence quota (curse you "Scanners"!) Carpenter always keeps the mood firmly anchored in the realm of fantasy. And, by following adults instead of oversexed teenagers and making the descendants of the local residents the targets of the fog's deadly revenge, "The Fog" captures a 'sins of the father passed along to the heirs' universality (a destiny of fate type-of vibe) that separates it from most early 80's horror flicks. And I don't know what's more scary: Jamie Lee Curtis' hairdo or that, back in '79, Tom Atkins would pick hitchhiking chicks that would sleep with him! :o

Jeannot Szwarc's SUPERGIRL: INTERNATIONAL AND DIRECTOR'S CUT (1984): the more I think about it though, "Supergirl" is the perfect Halloween movie (along with Carpenter's aforementioned "The Fog"). You've got the action template of a comic book movie adaptation (one that cost $35 million in 1984 dollars, and looks it) mixed with the fantasy elements of "Wizard of Oz" personified by human witches (Faye Dunaway in dialed-a-notch "Mommie Dearest" mode with Brenda Vaccaro tagging along as sidekick) and a warlock (Peter Cook, whose scene wearing an 80's leisure suit and his uttering of the phrase 'pure unadulterated evil' had me in stitches :D) using the heroine's source of power to bring to life their twisted dark fantasies. It's a hoot-and-a-half in the right state of mind (i.e. the holiday where people dress-up as superheroes, witches and what-not), just not a good movie any way you care to look at it.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:30 pm

Slither (2006) "I reckon Grant ain't got one of them puppy calendars on his desk." this is about the only quote you can print in a family website. one of my favorite horror comedies from the last 20 years...way down at #19 or 20, but still...i will admit if it didn't have nathan fillion i wouldn't have even watched it..and if it didn't have him it wouldn't have even been on my list.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:04 pm

^^^ "Slither" was my gateway drug to "Firefly/Serenity." After laughing my head off seeing it in theaters I went out looking for anything else this Nathan Fillion fella had ever done and "Firefly" was playing on a high-def TV channel from the start. Then came "Serenity" in HD-DVD. The rest... ;-)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:06 am

Black Sheep (2006) this one practically wrote itself...a nation island with more sheep than people?...hitchcock eat your heart out...IMHO the gore factor is cranked to 11 but it works due to the cheeriness of the cast. These are sheep that would have made a ham sarnie out of Babe. Another of the few modern gorefest i actually bought.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:03 am

Gremlins 2 : The New Batch - because it's awesome.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:50 am

Audition. My third go round with Miike and the first wholly satisfying one. Sukiyaki Western Django was a ton of fun, but it wasn't a particularly deep experience. I thought Ichi the Killer was a piece of sh*t. Audition, despite my knowing how things turn out before going in (if ever a movie suffered from the demands of its own marketing, this is it), felt very nearly perfect in every regard. Here Miike builds his characters with patient naturalism, only venturing into stylistic excess when the story demand it. Had I gone into the movie blind, it probably would have been exponentially more impactful, but I could still appreciate the experience even if I wasn't as affected as I would have been.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:02 pm

30 days of night another of the few gore fests i actually own. i liked the graphic, but i also liked this. great effects, great villains, very chilly.

idle hands (1999) how can you hate this film? stoners, seth green, demon hands, jessica alba....and dude so, totally quotable:
There is something wrong with my friend, I think he smoked some nutmeg or something.
You killed me, let's try to keep this thing in perspective here!
Yeah, I was a little bitter about the getting killed by my best friend thing, but I've had time to get over it.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:50 pm

Survival of the Dead. Yeesh. It gives the impression that Romero writes human behavior based on vague rumors he's heard about the species. Not a single character in this movie rings true. The plot, such as it is, is so aimless and meandering that by the time the climax arrives, all the leads stand around looking like they don't know any more about what they're doing there than the audience does. When the dust has settled and the survivors have the chance to achieve what they've been after the whole time, Romero decides to close the film by having them do an inexplicable motivational 180.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:05 am

The Man Without a Body (1957) not as good as it sounds...the science is completely wonky, reanimating 400 year old heads without black magic isn't possible. They should have just gone over the top instead of pretending the science was there.

Giant from the Unknown (1958) an interesting and unique 'creature' an evil blood thirsty conquistador gets woken up and terrorizes a small N.CA town. the script sucks, the acting is fair, and Buddy Bear's Jack Pierce makeup...which is the highlight of the film seriously resembles the original Golem makeup with a hat. This sounds like it would be a good base for a remake.

In the middle of a Kolchak Night Stalker marathon...is there anything braver or scarier than crawling into a junk car to pour salt in the mouth of a zombie?
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:07 am

Phantasm II - File this under unnecessary sequel that basically imitates the first film, failing to capture any of its magic. It's kind of sad when the best thing about the film is the ''gearing up'' montage.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:44 pm

I picked up PSYCHOMANIA (1972) on DVD solely on Judge Ike Oden's positive review (http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/psychomania.php) and it absolutely lives up to expectations. The genre mash-ups on display (50's biker gang mentality, 60's psychodelic mindset, early 70's punk vibe, horror/sorcery motifs inspired by the post "Rosemary's Baby" success, etc.) coated with a healthy dose of tongue-in-cheek humor (how can one not smile at the sight of a dead biker turbo boosting out of a tomb in his bike, "Knight Rider" style) and casual attitude toward coming back to life make for a refreshing change of pace from the Romero/Boyle school of the living dead. Scares and gore are minimal but it's a testament to the movie's effectiveness that they're not missed. Nicky Henson makes for an appealing lead as a "Clockwork Orange"-ish bloke that wants his gal Abby (Mary Larkin) and 'Living Dead' gang to crossover, leading up to a montage of suicide attempts that is both hilarious and disturbing. Throw in some spectacular motorcycle stunt work (for '72) along with heartfelt scenes between Abby and Tom (unlike Judge Oden I found Abby's passivity a normal non-reaction to the incredible things happening around her) and "Psychomania" is a Halloween treat weird-enough for cultists to get down with.
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:44 pm

The Body Snatcher(1945) - O.k that was amazing. Really atmospheric with an amazing performance from Karloff. Loved that Langian murder of the street singer. And that ending is pure Grang Guignol.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:53 am

The People Under the Stairs
Wes Craven sucks.

Dead Alive
This time, I made it 48 minutes into the flick before giving up! In related news, Peter Jackson is a visionary director. Seriously.

Maniac!
When it comes to playing creeps, Joe Spinell was in a class by himself. That is all.

The Lost Boys: The Tribe
The Lost Boys: The Thirst

I just...I can't...

My Bloody Valentine (1981)
Black Christmas
Two Canuckistan horror classics that are on my "Must Watch Every October" list. They're both gritty and fun. Black Christmas is easily the superior of the two flicks, but I dig the blue collar authenticity of My Bloody Valentine's cast.

Blacula
A race-conscious horror send-up that has no qualms about playing up the broadest of homosexual stereotypes and throwing around the word "faggot" while sticking it to The Man. My head nearly exploded. Touche, political correctness, touche.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Bryan Pope » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:02 am

This thread made me want to seek out the original 'Salem's Lot on DVD. I found it for $5 at Half Price Books. Yep, those scary little set pieces still hold up pretty damn well. And wasn't Bonnie Bedelia a cutie?
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby OperaGal » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:56 pm

The Night of the Hunter - First time I've seen this, very well done! Lillian Gish was awesome!! :)

King Kong (1933)- Another fave that I've not seen in such a long time. Poor Fay Wray must've had an awful sore throat by time filming wrapped up.
Can't wait to get this on blu-ray!

White Zombie ('32) and The Last Man on Earth (64?) - The downside of watching late night movies too late is that I dozed off in the midst of both of them. :o
Hopefully with be able to catch these movies again, would love to see them thru.
OperaGal
Paralegal

Postby molly1216 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:35 pm

hmmm now i am wanting to rewatch Salem's Lot
molly1216
County Prosecutor

PreviousNext

Return to Movies