Halloween watching thread

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Re: Halloween watching thread

Postby molly1216 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:17 pm

hoytereden wrote:Mentioning visuals-Just wondering if you've seen The Bat Whispers? It creaks badly and has the, seemingly prerequisite for this type of film, distracting comedy characters but wonderful visuals and a rare use of early widescreen.

Absolutely i have everything by Roland West I can find...not much out there...the Bat (1926), Alibi (1929) , the bat Whispers (1930), Corsair (1931) - i wish there was more..I recommend both Alibi and Corsair, though Alibi is closer to his expressionist work of The Bat and the Bat Whispers...West was an American born director using German Expressionist styles in his film. I recommend Leni's Cat and the Canary (27) paired with Roland West's the Bat (1926) - who are we kidding all of these are essentially the same story..people staying overnight in a mansion which may or may not contain a madman trying to kill someone. gee that's like 30 of the films I am watching this month.

this blog post has some great Bat Whispers Images
http://monstermoviemusic.blogspot.com/2 ... -1930.html
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:58 pm

The Graveyard Shift - well, I will give it this: it isn't the worst film based on a Stephen King story. The first half works ok, and there is no question that the film has a real grimy, lived in look, but the film just because extremely absured and bizarre the further it goes on. In all honesty, the original short story never really was a strong basis for a film, so the fact that the film works in any way, shape or form is kind of amazing.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Ghostdude » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:31 pm

NIGHT OF THE DEMONS 1 to 3 are GREAT Halloween themed movies
Ghostdude
Law Clerk

Postby Dunnyman » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:31 am

molly1216 wrote:
hoytereden wrote:Mentioning visuals-Just wondering if you've seen The Bat Whispers? It creaks badly and has the, seemingly prerequisite for this type of film, distracting comedy characters but wonderful visuals and a rare use of early widescreen.

Absolutely i have everything by Roland West I can find...not much out there...the Bat (1926), Alibi (1929) , the bat Whispers (1930), Corsair (1931) - i wish there was more..I recommend both Alibi and Corsair, though Alibi is closer to his expressionist work of The Bat and the Bat Whispers...West was an American born director using German Expressionist styles in his film. I recommend Leni's Cat and the Canary (27) paired with Roland West's the Bat (1926) - who are we kidding all of these are essentially the same story..people staying overnight in a mansion which may or may not contain a madman trying to kill someone. gee that's like 30 of the films I am watching this month.

this blog post has some great Bat Whispers Images
http://monstermoviemusic.blogspot.com/2 ... -1930.html

1930 widescreen? I'll check it out based on that alone. Bat Whispers sounds pretty good, now if the whole old dark house genre is your cup of tea, check out Larry Blamire's Dark and Stormy Night, his riff on the genre, which while extremely well done in spots, misses the mark from time to time, unlike his brilliant Lost Skeleton stuff. Jennifer Blaire's wisecracking lady reporter is obviously based on Rosalind Russell in His Girl Friday, but it's spot-on. Have you already re-visited The Old Dark House, which I know is one of your favorites, this year? "Have a potato!"
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:33 am

28 Days Later - With a DVD collection of my size, there aren't a lot of new films that get rewatched too often. That being said, 28 Days Later is one of the most watched in my library, and it's one of the only recent movies that I consider to be a comfort title. It's one of the best horror films of the decade and I keep coming back to it. I think the best horror comes from directors who don't normally do horror, Danny Boyle in this case.

28 Weeks Later - Decent, but not close to the original. The fact that the outbreak doesn't happen until halfway through the film hurts this sequel, as it gives us 2 kids who aren't that likeable as opposed to Cillian Murphy's Jim from the original. It's nice to see a "bad guy" zombie, and Jeremy Renner kicks serious ass in his role.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby molly1216 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:57 am

third day of a carpal tunnel episode which mucks with my remote control hand..
so i went for something with no need of a FFWD button..

King Kong (1933) and all the extras..... the point about Kong that always amazes me is that it seems to be a one off...yes i know there are lots of contributing factors..but you know what i mean when i say..usually a GREAT film is surrounded by a sudden release of knock off productions and followed by a stream of studio attempts at exploiting their original success...aside from Son of Kong there isn't a lot of that here. even Mighty Joe Young would be 16 years away. with all of the new imaging processes in Kong one would have expected to see every brother's son of a studio doing combined miniature, processed shots, with inserts and forced perspective..the lot - even dinosaurs weren't really revisited until the 50s. but still the cupboard is bare. the rest of the 30s had lots of horror and adventure but nothing so impressive or visually stimulating.

I followed that up with The Most Dangerous Game (1932) which seems a very curious release for Criterion..but I am grateful all the Public Domain copies suck. btw if you get a chance check out Macrae in Bird of Paradise (1932) precode tropical island, volcano god sacrifices and crocodiles! yum.

Then Dr Cyclops (1940) also directed by Ernest B. Schoedsack which i didn't know would be in three strip technicolor ooh baby. clever little film which visited a lot of the ground that Incredible Shrinking Man would visit much much later. it also brings in a whole sci fi element of the fascination with Radioactivity. hmm i think i need to rewatch Devil Doll (1936) soon.

And just to cap it...the Roan copy of Chamber of Horrors (1940) [The Door with Seven Locks UK] one of the 1st UK horror films after the lifting of the ban: Leslie Banks, castle, torture devices..a bottom bill for Most Dangerous Game.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:51 am

Dracula's Daughter (1936) - I'm going to review this in full at my blog, but let me just be blunt: its better than Dracula (1931). I am dead serious when I say that. No, it isn't really a horror film (though I find the scene with Zaleska and her "model" provocative and chilling), but a early version of a psycho-sexual thriller that would become more common place after the intro of the Ratings system instead of the Production Code. Gloria Holden turns in a great performance here, and Hillyer's direction is shockingly good considering that his man also turned out the crap fest known as Batman the serial.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:41 pm

molly1216 wrote:third day of a carpal tunnel episode which mucks with my rewantedmote control hand..
so i went for something with no need of a FFWD button..

King Kong (1933) and all the extras..... the point about Kong that always amazes me is that it seems to be a one off...yes i know there are lots of contributing factors..but you know what i mean when i say..usually a GREAT film is surrounded by a sudden release of knock off productions and followed by a stream of studio attempts at exploiting their original success...aside from Son of Kong there isn't a lot of that here. even Mighty Joe Young would be 16 years away. with all of the new imaging processes in Kong one would have expected to see every brother's son of a studio doing combined miniature, processed shots, with inserts and forced perspective..the lot - even dinosaurs weren't really revisited until the 50s. but still the cupboard is bare. the rest of the 30s had lots of horror and adventure but nothing so impressive or visually stimulating.

I followed that up with The Most Dangerous Game (1932) which seems a very curious release for Criterion..but I am grateful all the Public Domain copies suck. btw if you get a chance check out Macrae in Bird of Paradise (1932) precode tropical island, volcano god sacrifices and crocodiles! yum.

Then Dr Cyclops (1940) also directed by Ernest B. Schoedsack which i didn't know would be in three strip technicolor ooh baby. clever little film which visited a lot of the ground that Incredible Shrinking Man would visit much much later. it also brings in a whole sci fi element of the fascination with Radioactivity. hmm i think i need to rewatch Devil Doll (1936) soon.

And just to cap it...the Roan copy of Chamber of Horrors (1940) [The Door with Seven Locks UK] one of the 1st UK horror films after the lifting of the ban: Leslie Banks, castle, torture devices..a bottom bill for Most Dangerous Game.

Regarding Kong-Just my theory: I just don't think other studios were willing to commit to the lengthy amount of time (and money) it would take to do the stop-motion effects. RKO themselves rushed out the sequel you mentioned to cash in and the results were just ok and I don't really think it did all that well at the box office. I know Willis O'Brien was unhappy with it and I'm sure other studios took note of the diminished returns and passed. Mentioning O'Brien, with the success of Kong one would have thought other studios would have sought him out but for most of his remaining life he was unwanted and other projects he shopped around were rejected. RKO gave him one more "giant ape" film with MJY but despite his Academy Award for that he just contributed to mostly "B" titles in the '50s.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:58 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:Dracula's Daughter (1936) - I'm going to review this in full at my blog, but let me just be blunt: its better than Dracula (1931).
thanks, i usually skip that but i will make a point of it now.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:33 pm

molly1216 wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:Dracula's Daughter (1936) - I'm going to review this in full at my blog, but let me just be blunt: its better than Dracula (1931).
thanks, i usually skip that but i will make a point of it now.

Just keep in mind two things when watching: A) I respect the 1931 Dracula more than I am a fan and B) the absence of Mina and John is a plot hole, but no worse than the continuity between Bride of Frankenstein and Frankenstein.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:51 pm

Cronos - Another one that's been on my shelf for too long, quite enjoyed it. I wasn't sure what to expect, and the first half did not look like a Guillermo Del Toro movie, but it kicked in. I was also suprised to find this to really be a bilingual movie, Spanish & English. I thought it was just Spanish, so I was shocked to see Ron Perlman show up in an outrageous performance. Once the movie got rolling, it was a good dark movie with some wacky moments throughout.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:14 am

the Ghoul (1933) like the Chamber of Horros (door with seven locks) these UK horrors are basically crime movies with a horror element...this one a little over the top with Karloff the ghoul from the grave. But attention must be paid to the quality of the british negatives..awesome.

TIME OUT to watch entire season 5 of Supernatural

Dracula's Daughter (1936) - indeed this is a technically superior film to Dracula (1931) without the iconography. But it did remind me of a Val Lewton film in its manner of handling the subject of vampirism and the vague lesbian overtones. If this film had been a 1933 or 34 production it could have rocked the house with precode scandalous topics. Perhaps that's what was in James Whale's earlier proposed script. I don't see how it was such an expensive production..the money isn't on the screen. something was up with that.

Son of Dracula (1943) definitely we have moved into the saturday afternoon form of horror movie here. The special effects had improved the Dracula mythos but Chaney didn't have the right stuff for the role. He came off as a moonlighting chiropractor. Nothing about it an be taken seriously. Hell the title character doesn't even show up in any acceptable way until the 2nd reel. On the other hand this is the 1st universal horror canon film i have seen with black actors in speaking roles..granted they were maids and porters but they all were treated with respect. I liked that.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:48 pm

molly1216 wrote:the Ghoul (1933) like the Chamber of Horros (door with seven locks) these UK horrors are basically crime movies with a horror element...this one a little over the top with Karloff the ghoul from the grave. But attention must be paid to the quality of the british negatives..awesome.

TIME OUT to watch entire season 5 of Supernatural

Dracula's Daughter (1936) - indeed this is a technically superior film to Dracula (1931) without the iconography. But it did remind me of a Val Lewton film in its manner of handling the subject of vampirism and the vague lesbian overtones. If this film had been a 1933 or 34 production it could have rocked the house with precode scandalous topics. Perhaps that's what was in James Whale's earlier proposed script. I don't see how it was such an expensive production..the money isn't on the screen. something was up with that.

Son of Dracula (1943) definitely we have moved into the saturday afternoon form of horror movie here. The special effects had improved the Dracula mythos but Chaney didn't have the right stuff for the role. He came off as a moonlighting chiropractor. Nothing about it an be taken seriously. Hell the title character doesn't even show up in any acceptable way until the 2nd reel. On the other hand this is the 1st universal horror canon film i have seen with black actors in speaking roles..granted they were maids and porters but they all were treated with respect. I liked that.

The Human Monster is another British title I enjoy. Pretty violent for a film of it's time.
Dracula's Daughter-One and done with Gloria Holden as a horror star. Too bad, she had the look and Irving Pichel was creepy as her servant. I do want to see Murder By the Clock with him.
Son of Dracula-Two things I always remember it for. Dracula's coffin rising out of the swamp and his demise by sunlight. Pretty effective. The third thing I remember it for completely ruins the first two-Robert Paige as the leading man, especially when he starts to lose it, is a dead ringer for....Gomer Pyle! :shock: :lol:
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Bryan Pope » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:35 pm

Trick 'r Treat is supposed to arrive today from Netflix. I've read almost nothing but positive things about it, including Judge Johnson's review here at the Verdict. So I look forward to it.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Future Man » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:39 pm

Bryan Pope wrote:Trick 'r Treat is supposed to arrive today from Netflix. I've read almost nothing but positive things about it, including Judge Johnson's review here at the Verdict. So I look forward to it.

I look forward to what you have to say about it, let's put it that way.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:09 pm

The Excorcist for the first time. This was one of those "how can you call yourself a movie fanatic and never have seen it" movies, that I finally knocked off my list. Needless to say, it was incredible.

I'd pieced together what I'd heard and had certain prejudgements walking in. This is always the case for me with a classic, so I have that working against me rather than trying to enjoy it on its own merits. I was suprised to see how scientifically they handled the possession, how much they showed the doctors troubleshooting what was wrong with Regan. Then when the religious route was suggested, they even said possessions & excorcisms were a trick of the mind and nothing mystical at all. Then the church itself barely believed it. But the only part I'd known about were the priests chanting "the power of Christ compels you".
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:43 pm

Killer Clowns from Outer Space, the first film I watched as part of my Netflix.ca trial run. Just...wow.I am really not sure what to say about this one, it is so damn strange. Highlight of the film however: John Vernon's corpse getting used as a puppet is particularly creepy.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:46 am

the5thghostbuster wrote:Killer Clowns from Outer Space, the first film I watched as part of my Netflix.ca trial run. Just...wow.I am really not sure what to say about this one, it is so damn strange. Highlight of the film however: John Vernon's corpse getting used as a puppet is particularly creepy.

Even I thought that film was insanely witty and if we had drive ins now I would schedule this one immediately.
It is a great B or is it C movie? Come on the weapons? the use of Cotton Candy? brilliant. anyone who dislikes clowns understands this film appeal.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:27 am

I started my Halloween viewing at the beginning of the month. So far, there's been a heavy emphasis on '80s schlock, initiated by my determination to see all of the Friday the 13th flicks. Here's the insanity so far:

Galaxy of Terror
Godawful. There are a handful of Corman movies that are near-and-dear to my heart. This ain't one of 'em. It wasn't Death Race 2000 levels of annoying, but still a complete let-down considering the fantastic B-list cast.

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
Friday the 13th, Part 5: A New Beginning
Friday the 13th, Part 6: Jason Lives
Friday the 13th, Part 7: The New Blood
Friday the 13th, Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
Jason X

There isn't really any such thing as a good Friday the 13th flick, but I have a nostalgic soft spot for the first few entries in the series because I grew up on them. Man, do they get progressively worse once Jason Voorhees goes zombie. I thought parts 5, 6, and 7 were insufferable until I encountered parts 8, 9, and 10. I didn't imagine someone could play the role of Jason poorly, but I actually think Kane Hodder sucks. His stance says bodybuilder/metalhead, not mongoloid serial murderer.

The Last House on the Left (1972)
I knew this one by reputation, but it had slipped under my radar until now. It's definitely skeezy, but not nearly as graphic as people say. And the entire final act is so utterly reedonkulous that it pretty much ruins the entire movie.

Child's Play
I hadn't seen it in at least 20 years. I'd completely forgotten that Chucky is inhabited by Brad Dourif's black soul...and also that Catherine Hicks has only one setting: Overact. Still, not a bad little piece of schlock.

The Evil Dead
Watched for review on the site. Still awesome -- even moreso in high def.

Humanoids from the Deep
A Corman flick that I absolutely love. Vic Morrow, Doug McClure, cheesy monsters, buckets of gore, a bevy of nekkid chicks, and a magnificently ridiculous title. What's not to love?

Survival of the Dead
For the love of all that's holy, George A. Romero, stop! Please, just stop!

The Prowler
This one was new to me. A fairly typical '80s slasher pic with a semi-novel premise. Nothing to write home about, but not bad.

Troll 2
Bwahahahaha! Now available on Netflix streaming. See it. Immediately.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
A site review is forthcoming. Condensed version: Still fantastic.

Sleepaway Camp
Despite being a teen in the '80s, I'd never seen this. I was aware that there was a twist ending, but went into the flick spoiler free. It's a really lousy movie (the acting is several grades below the original Friday the 13th, which is to say atrociously incompetent), but the twist is effective -- well, it's not so much the twist itself as the creepiness of the reveal. Still, I don't think I'll be visiting the sequels anytime soon.

Night of the Creeps
An atypical '80s horror movie that remains a ton of fun. Writer-director Fred Dekker's beloved Monster Squad does nothing for me, but man do I love Night of the Creeps.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Bryan Pope » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:32 am

molly1216 wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:Killer Clowns from Outer Space, the first film I watched as part of my Netflix.ca trial run. Just...wow.I am really not sure what to say about this one, it is so damn strange. Highlight of the film however: John Vernon's corpse getting used as a puppet is particularly creepy.

Even I thought that film was insanely witty and if we had drive ins now I would schedule this one immediately.
It is a great B or is it C movie? Come on the weapons? the use of Cotton Candy? brilliant. anyone who dislikes clowns understands this film appeal.

This is one of my favorites, but mainly because of the amount of imagination that went into it on such a modest budget. The Chiodo brothers commentary on the DVD is one of my all-time faves, because they talk a lot about how they put together a pretty spiffy movie on the cheap, and they clearly had a ton of fun.

That said, I think the ONLY time the movie even approaches that certain creepy quality that clowns possess is in the Vernon puppet scene that Ghostbuster mentioned. Otherwise, they're played for laughs. In fact, the only time a clown has ever been used to menacing effect onscreen, in my opinion, is in the first half of Poltergeist when the clown doll is sitting on the chair. That's it -- just sitting. Toward the end, when he comes alive, he's not longer scary.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Bryan Pope » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:36 am

Dan Mancini wrote:Troll 2

I won't be seeing this, but I WILL be seeing Best Worst Movie when it comes to Netflix. That has gotten glowing notices all around.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Bryan Pope » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:52 am

Future Man wrote:
Bryan Pope wrote:Trick 'r Treat is supposed to arrive today from Netflix. I've read almost nothing but positive things about it, including Judge Johnson's review here at the Verdict. So I look forward to it.

I look forward to what you have to say about it, let's put it that way.

The trailer is far better than the movie itself. I mean, the movie has some fantastic production design and mostly strong performances, but I don't think it's the modern Halloween classic some critics make it out to be. I love horror anthologies, and the stories here are fun. But they're also rather familiar and never for a moment scary. Creepshow -- its obvious inspiration -- went for the jugular. This one doesn't.

I didn't see the point of the non-linear timeline and fragmented storytelling (it worked for Pulp Fiction, but here I think it prevented each story from building momentum and generating suspense) or the comic book styling (it worked for Creepshow because the movie's conceit was that it was a "Tales from the Crypt"-style comic book come to life). I thought using "Sam" as a connector between all the stories was a good idea -- nice, creepy touch.

I enjoyed it, but I won't be revisiting it. Halloween and Sleepy Hollow remain at the top of my list of essential All Hallow's Eve viewing.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:08 am

Bryan Pope wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:Troll 2

I won't be seeing this, but I WILL be seeing Best Worst Movie when it comes to Netflix. That has gotten glowing notices all around.

I do recommend seeing it. Ideally while eating corn on the cob.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Bryan Pope » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:16 am

Next up for me will be repeat viewings of The Orphanage, House of the Devil, The Shining and Frailty.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:04 am

Dan Mancini wrote:I started my Halloween viewing at the beginning of the month. So far, there's been a heavy emphasis on '80s schlock

I am doing things in the reverse order..i am concentrating on black and white and early horror movies until October, they i pull out the Sci Fi and color horror films.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:39 pm

molly1216 wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong, I dug it: its just plain bloody weird!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:43 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
Friday the 13th, Part 5: A New Beginning
Friday the 13th, Part 6: Jason Lives
Friday the 13th, Part 7: The New Blood
Friday the 13th, Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
Jason X

There isn't really any such thing as a good Friday the 13th flick, but I have a nostalgic soft spot for the first few entries in the series because I grew up on them. Man, do they get progressively worse once Jason Voorhees goes zombie. I thought parts 5, 6, and 7 were insufferable until I encountered parts 8, 9, and 10. I didn't imagine someone could play the role of Jason poorly, but I actually think Kane Hodder sucks. His stance says bodybuilder/metalhead, not mongoloid serial murderer.

Oh come on, you didn't like lines like "We love premarital sex", "Hey guys, it's OK, he just wants his machete back!" and "It's gonna take more than a poke in the ribs to put down this old dog." THUNK! "That oughta do it!" If you look at Jason X as a comedy, it's pretty darn good. And didn't the sadness of Erin Grey apparently being desperate to pay the rent by appearing in one of them at least elicit a chuckle? Jason scaring off the gang thugs in the New York one was pretty funny, wasn't it?

Man, you're a tough one to please, Mr. Mancini
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:15 pm

Dunnyman wrote:Oh come on, you didn't like lines like "We love premarital sex", "Hey guys, it's OK, he just wants his machete back!" and "It's gonna take more than a poke in the ribs to put down this old dog." THUNK! "That oughta do it!" If you look at Jason X as a comedy, it's pretty darn good.

I did laugh at "That oughta do it." And the liquid nitrogen kill was cool. Other than that, the movie did nothing for me.

Also, CGI gore effects have no place in a Friday the 13th flick.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:50 pm

Dunnyman wrote:Oh come on, you didn't like lines like "We love premarital sex" . . .

I hated Jason X and for some reason sat through the whole thing bored. But when that line came up, I laughed myself to sleep that night. The only redeeming point of the movie.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Bryan Pope » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:35 pm

Just rewatched Trick 'r Treat. Reconsidering my previous post on it. I still think the comic book styling adds nothing, but the movie sure does benefit from repeat viewings -- you pick up on a lot of foreshadowing you missed the first time around, and you see how well the screenplay is constructed. Gruesome, creepy Halloween fun, but I do wish it had gone just a tad further.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby tucco » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:47 pm

"I didn't imagine someone could play the role of Jason poorly, but I actually think Kane Hodder sucks" -Dan Mancini

Agreed. He has no creep factor. I don't know why he is praised as the best Jason by fanboys.....he came along when the series lost it's audience (Part VII)....

I prefer the Jason from Part III......He's the sadistic, creepy, truly scary Jason who actually shows some emotion.....(he removes his mask and actually smiles at the Last Girl in the barn scene at the end).....and also Part III has the scariest sequence in the entire series...when the Main Girl recounts how she was accosted by Jason a couple of years earlier..the flashback was truly scary, and something they never repeated in the series as far as achieving actual fright.

Yet to many Kane IS Jason....doesn't make sense...Part VI is the last one that the mainstream audience cared about....then came the late eighties when things took a turn for the worse as the series became an inside joke....(which stared with Part VI, but hey they're allowed one self-referential film, and the prologue was great.....too bad the body of the movie sux.....when people remember "how Part VI was the best one", I think they are just remembering the prologue and not the body of the movie which isn't as entertaining as the much maligned Part V.....which is at least funny and entertaining and has at least some scares in it)
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby tucco » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:53 pm

And I still can't wait for Tuesday when Dark Night of the Scarecrow comes out.
That made for TV movie is better than most of the theatrical horror films out at the time.
At least it went for ghost-mystery/whodunnit creepiness instead of having a wannabe Jason in the frame throughout the thing.
The cover art on the DVD isn't exactly indicative of the movie, but it is what I would expect to reel in people who are new to it.
tucco
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:21 am

For the first time ever, watched Halloween II (The original version, not the Zombie film). Meh, just a bland follow up with nothing to really recommend.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:11 am

tucco wrote:I prefer the Jason from Part III......He's the sadistic, creepy, truly scary Jason who actually shows some emotion.....(he removes his mask and actually smiles at the Last Girl in the barn scene at the end)....

I'd go with the Jason from Part II, who is one creepy backwoods mongoloid for sure. But, yeah, the Part III Jason is sort of the classic version of the character: hockey mask, relentless stalking, sadism. Plus, he's not a hulking monster, just a warped, depraved f*@^er.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:05 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
tucco wrote:I prefer the Jason from Part III......He's the sadistic, creepy, truly scary Jason who actually shows some emotion.....(he removes his mask and actually smiles at the Last Girl in the barn scene at the end)....

I'd go with the Jason from Part II, who is one creepy backwoods mongoloid for sure. But, yeah, the Part III Jason is sort of the classic version of the character: hockey mask, relentless stalking, sadism. Plus, he's not a hulking monster, just a warped, depraved f*@^er.

Yeah, 1 and 2 pretty much seal it for me. Both pretty creepy and effective little Halloween derivatives. Once the hockey mask comes out, things got a little stupid, in spite of that being the iconic image. I was hoping the new film would combine the best elements of the first two with the iconic look, but that didn't quite pan out.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:01 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:

Yeah, 1 and 2 pretty much seal it for me. Both pretty creepy and effective little Halloween derivatives. Once the hockey mask comes out, things got a little stupid, in spite of that being the iconic image. I was hoping the new film would combine the best elements of the first two with the iconic look, but that didn't quite pan out.

As a Friday the 13th flick, I thought the new one was pretty good. As a Friday the 13th flick. It's certainly better than anything after the first couple entries in the original series.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Dunnyman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:36 pm

Last night was the rest of the new sitcoms and an obscure little flick by the one and only William Castle, Homicidal. We start off with an extremely pretty young woman who takes a room in a hotel and seems to be flirting with the bellhop, then she makes him a crazy offer, and he accepts, which really, was not the smartest thing he could have done. Thus starts the film, and it's a doozy. Yes, Castle blatantly stole some motifs from Psycho, and freely admitted it, but this is NOT a paint by the numbers rip off. It's a damn fine horror movie in it's own right, and the twist ending is one I did not see coming. Truly, an under appreciated gem, like many of Castle's films are and the gimmick for this was the "Fear Break",a 30 second window to "leave the theater if you're too scared to finish the film" Not needed, but cool in it's onw way. An article about Castle gave him a very high compliment, that he never forgot the "Show" in show business.
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:35 pm

I should know better than this. I watched two crappy sequels to awesome originals:

Bride of Re-Animator - Overall it was a cheap sequel with nothing special. I'll admit that the finger-eye spider thing was rather cute, and Jeffrey Combs does continue to rock in his portrayal of Dr. Herbert West.

Exorsist II: The Heretic - I'd heard that this was terrible going in, and this was quite correct. I'd only seen the original a few weeks ago, and you can tell that they tried to scrounge together a sequel in any way possible, and that everybody in Hollywood wanted in. I mean there's some serious talent here: Richard Burton, James Earl Jones, Louise Fletcher, but it's all wasted because they're trying to force a backstory out of an amazing horror film that wasn't meant to have any.

You can really see the difference in directing (I mean the whole thing looks crappier) when you see the possessed Regan in the original compared to the same image (Pazuzu??) in the sequel. In the orignal, she was difficult to even look at, terrifying to watch. But in the sequel it's just a cheesy effect.

I'm probably going to press on with the series, seeing as how I bought the whole thing in a boxed set. And as far as I'm aware, part 2 is the particularly terrible one. I can image of course that the rest aren't so bad, but of course there's no way they'll ever match the original.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby tucco » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:47 pm

For the first time ever, watched Halloween II - mavrach

Now THERE'S something you don't hear everyday.....

What always surprises me is how many people who were casual "TV fans" of these movies in the 80's, exclaimed how they like "the one in the hospital" better than the original.
I think they were both conditioned by the Friday the 13th and other Halloween knockoffs and also.....the suspense in the original Halloween doesn't play as well with commercials.
tucco
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:59 pm

tucco wrote:For the first time ever, watched Halloween II - mavrach

What always surprises me is how many people who were casual "TV fans" of these movies in the 80's, exclaimed how they like "the one in the hospital" better than the original.
I think they were both conditioned by the Friday the 13th and other Halloween knockoffs and also.....the suspense in the original Halloween doesn't play as well with commercials.

Huh? I said I saw The Exorsist for the first time ever. I've seen Halloween II :D
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:01 pm

mavrach wrote:
tucco wrote:For the first time ever, watched Halloween II - mavrach

Huh? I said I saw The Exorsist for the first time ever. I've seen Halloween II :D

I be the individual who saw Halloween II for the first time. I do however feel Mavrach's pain of seeing the Exorcist II however.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby tucco » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:55 pm

Oh wow ! HAHA I apologize for the screw up ....
I thought mavrach said he saw Halloween II for the first time....
tucco
County Attorney

Postby tucco » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:59 pm

THE MAN WHO LAUGHS tonite........
tucco
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:17 pm

Made it halfway through The Exorcist III and turned it off out of sheer boredom. George C. Scott got some funny lines out, but aside from that this was worthless. And this is saying a lot, considering that I made it all the way through part 2! I think I'm done with this series, and will just consider The Exorcist to be a solo movie from now on.

And just so we're clear, this was The Exorcist III, not Halloween III ;-)
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:29 am

Continuing my exploration of William Castle's lesser known films with Mr. Sardonicus,a creepy little morality tale disguised as a ghoul movie, once again, Castle scores big with a low budget. Yes, we have a creepy gothic castle with a fog machine working overtime, the required creepy looking manservant with a deformity, the terrified maid, and of course the totally fine damsel in distress, but it all works and delivers in spades. I know his big hits were 13 Ghosts and House On Haunted Hill, but so far, everything I've seen of his has been excellent.
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Future Man » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:18 am

Dunnyman wrote:Continuing my exploration of William Castle's lesser known films with Mr. Sardonicus,a creepy little morality tale disguised as a ghoul movie, once again, Castle scores big with a low budget. Yes, we have a creepy gothic castle with a fog machine working overtime, the required creepy looking manservant with a deformity, the terrified maid, and of course the totally fine damsel in distress, but it all works and delivers in spades. I know his big hits were 13 Ghosts and House On Haunted Hill, but so far, everything I've seen of his has been excellent.

I'm intrigued. Are these Castle flicks you've been watching part of a set?
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:56 am

mavrach wrote:Made it halfway through The Exorcist III and turned it off out of sheer boredom. George C. Scott got some funny lines out, but aside from that this was worthless. And this is saying a lot, considering that I made it all the way through part 2! I think I'm done with this series, and will just consider The Exorcist to be a solo movie from now on.

I actually like Exorcit III - sure it's hokey, dialogue heavy and obviously filmed on the cheap but I think that the dialogue covers some interesting ground. The dual of wits between C. Scott and Brad Dourif is pretty awesome and there's that (in)famous jump scare. IMHO despite having some of the same characters as the first one and having been created by William Peter Blatty this would have benefited from not having th Exorxist name attached to it.

I've never seen Exorcist II or Halloween II for that matter.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:11 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:I've never seen Exorcist II or Halloween II for that matter.

I agree with you on Exorcist III. Stay far away from Exorcist II -- it's truly awful. All Halloween sequels (and remakes) are best ignored as they undermine the entire point of the first film's ending. As far as I'm concerned, Halloween is a one-off John Carpenter movie.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Bryan Pope » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Yeah, that's how I view the first Halloween, in its original form with none of that nonsense about Laurie being his sister.

Actually, I can think of few instances in horror cinema when a sequel added any value to the original. I've always thought the original Friday the 13th had a certain special something that its sequels couldn't capture. Part II came closest, for sure. After that, though, it's like they stopped even trying. Brett once chuckled at me for saying this, but I feel like the characters in Part I actually had lives before the story began. And Betsy Palmer's perm could totally own Kane Hodder's dumb fat ass.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby hoytereden » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:I've never seen Exorcist II or Halloween II for that matter.

I agree with you on Exorcist III. Stay far away from Exorcist II -- it's truly awful. All Halloween sequels (and remakes) are best ignored as they undermine the entire point of the first film's ending. As far as I'm concerned, Halloween is a one-off John Carpenter movie.

Exorcist II is a real hoot! Linda Blair tap dancing! Louise Fletcher and her with those stupid things on their heads during the mind probe sequence! Richard Burton at his hammiest! What's not to like! :lol:
hoytereden
County Attorney

PreviousNext

Return to Movies