The Deathly Hallows will be better then the book because...

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

The Deathly Hallows will be better then the book because...

Postby MovieAddict » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:21 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I loved the books but after seven of them perhaps I was expecting a bit more in the final chapter. If I were writing the Deathly Hallow script, a few modifications might be made…

1. Draco and Lucious Malfoy show some character development and actually evolve beyond the one dimensional caricatures seen in 7 books. (Perhaps Draco can say with pathos to Harry, thank you. Even more powerful if it came from Lucious perhaps…

2. Speaking of one dimensional caricatures, beyond the slight hint of complexity to Mrs. Dursley in a glance and two sentences of growth displayed by Dudley, the Dursley’s served only as comic relief. Could we not get a scene of the Durselys wishing Harry well and perhaps Petunia apologizing to Harry, something like how she took her envy of Lily too far and she loved her sister and wishes she could have her back along with the years wasted hating Harry when she really loved him.

3. Voldemort is many things but he is not stupid. Why does Voldy after knocking himself and Harry senseless with the elder wand, when he discovers Harry is still alive try to kill Harry again with the same wand and same curse? Its only been 2 pages since his first attack. Don’t ya think Voldy knows it aint gonna work?

4. Speaking of Voldy and Harry, perhaps we can get a better explanation from them why the Elder wand really belonged to Draco

5 The final battle does not need a cast of 1000’s bringing in all characters to fight the Death Eaters. Just the students and teachers at Hogwarts with the brilliant stroke by Neville then Mrs. Weasleys gifted attack followed by Harry’s final confrontation.
The cast of 1000s routine reminds me of the Ewoks bringing down the Empire…anything but that again. The characters have enough mettle to defeat Voldy on their own.

6. Speaking Neville’s brilliant stroke, it should be explained better. Perhaps a monologue by Neville stating how he knew Voldy would want to make an example of him and he prepared against the binding hex ahead of time as well as placed the Sword of Gryffindor in the sorting hat knowing that Voldy would use it, thus accentuating his brilliant move and not relying on blind luck, his character deserves better.

7. One of Ginny and Harry’s 5 children will be named after Fred.

8. Mrs. Weasley doesn’t yell at Bellatrix YOU BITCH...kind of a total rip off from Sigourney Weaver's ALIENS scene
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
- C. S. Lewis
MovieAddict
City Attorney

Re: The Deathly Hallows will be better then the book because...

Postby Dunnyman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:16 pm

You make a few valid points, but regarding
3: He's insane, in case you hadn't noticed, and due to having 5 of his 7 Horcruxes destroyed, he was hanging on by a thread at the end. 4: Dumbledore had basically surrendered to Draco, offering him the opportunity to kill him, all the while knowing that Draco couldn't do it, but the wand knew Dumbledore had given up.
5:1000's? The students and teachers of Hogwarts, the remaining members of the Order Of The Phoenix, and Percy Weasley. Hardly 1000's.
6: The only thing I was disappointed in regarding Neville is somehow, I kind of had him pegged as winding up with Luna. Although they don't say it, I've no doubt that in his career as Professor of Herbology, he will of course wind up as the head of Gryffindor House when McGonagall retires.
8: Don't mess with it, this, kind, gentle, loving woman is finally pushed over the edge by Bellatrix, to the point where she kills a fellow human being? And no quarter offered, she just flat out wastes her. That's some pretty awesome character development, no?
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Jim_Thomas » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:51 am

Dunnyman wrote:You make a few valid points, but regarding
4: Dumbledore had basically surrendered to Draco, offering him the opportunity to kill him, all the while knowing that Draco couldn't do it, but the wand knew Dumbledore had given up.
Dumbledore had used a silent spell to keep Harry quiet. Draco used the opportunity to disarm Dumbledore, thus winning the Elder wand.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:48 am

This thread is so oppressively nerdy that, upon reading the posts, I immediately broke out in acne and became a virgin again. Thanks, guys.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Jim_Thomas » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:08 am

Dan Mancini wrote:This thread is so oppressively nerdy that, upon reading the posts, I immediately broke out in acne and became a virgin again. Thanks, guys.
Tell me about it. I was vaguely embarrassed that I remembered that detail.

But then again, I'm the guy who won a bar bet for my wife by being able to sing the theme to Underdog.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby MovieAddict » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:17 am

Dunnyman wrote:You make a few valid points, but regarding
3: He's insane, in case you hadn't noticed, and due to having 5 of his 7 Horcruxes destroyed, he was hanging on by a thread at the end. 4: Dumbledore had basically surrendered to Draco, offering him the opportunity to kill him, all the while knowing that Draco couldn't do it, but the wand knew Dumbledore had given up.
5:1000's? The students and teachers of Hogwarts, the remaining members of the Order Of The Phoenix, and Percy Weasley. Hardly 1000's.
6: The only thing I was disappointed in regarding Neville is somehow, I kind of had him pegged as winding up with Luna. Although they don't say it, I've no doubt that in his career as Professor of Herbology, he will of course wind up as the head of Gryffindor House when McGonagall retires.
8: Don't mess with it, this, kind, gentle, loving woman is finally pushed over the edge by Bellatrix, to the point where she kills a fellow human being? And no quarter offered, she just flat out wastes her. That's some pretty awesome character development, no?

Good Points:

1000’s yes perhaps I exaggerate, my thoughts were that having all the Centaurs and Gwarp play an integral role in the battle detracts from the accomplishment of the central characters.
I’m not messing with Mrs. Weasley, her growth is awesome, just have issue with her screaming ‘YOU BITCH’. I’d be much happy if the scene transpired along the lines of... Mrs. Weasley icily stares at Bellatrix in a cold and eerily calm voice states “Step away from much children Bella or you will die a most unpleasant death”. After Bella’s retort she replies rather quietly “So Be It” and in astoundingly quick and potent display of magic overcomes and defeats Bella leaving all viewers stunned at the deep powerful magic long hidden and belied by Mrs. Weasley’s previously gentle motherly exterior.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
- C. S. Lewis
MovieAddict
City Attorney

Postby MovieAddict » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:19 am

Dan Mancini wrote:This thread is so oppressively nerdy that, upon reading the posts, I immediately broke out in acne and became a virgin again. Thanks, guys.

Well...what did you expect? Anyone who has read all 7 novels clearly falls into the Realm of the Nerds. (and happily so)
- C. S. Lewis
MovieAddict
City Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:58 am

because... we won't be subjected to 200 pages of Harry, Ron and Hermione wandering in the forest doing nothing.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby MovieAddict » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:57 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:because... we won't be subjected to 200 pages of Harry, Ron and Hermione wandering in the forest doing nothing.

As Harry would say, "Brilliant"!
- C. S. Lewis
MovieAddict
City Attorney

Postby Dave Ryan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:48 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:because... we won't be subjected to 200 pages of Harry, Ron and Hermione wandering in the forest doing nothing.

Camping is to the Harry Potter series what rock climbing is to MST3K.

I was kind of hoping they'd spin it off into its own movie -- you know, "Harry Potter and the Leaky Sterno Can" or "Harry Potter and the Awkwardly-Posited Request To Share A Sleeping Bag With Hermione"....
"Your average Russki doesn't take a dump without a plan, son."
Dave Ryan
Judge

Postby stypee » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:05 am

NERDS!
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Return to Movies