Move along Ridley - Forget Alien!

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Move along Ridley - Forget Alien!

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:02 am

From Vulture and Joblo.com:

So the word on the street has been that Ridley Scott's ALIEN prequel is sporting a budget upwards of $150-160 million (perhaps more). This has had the suits over at Fox a bit nervous and supposedly reticent to move full steam ahead. Enter "Lost" scribe Damon Lindelof. He was hired back in the summer to do a re-write for the prequel of the sci-fi/horror classic... and now that the stupid cat's out of the bag thanks to the guys over at Vulture, it appears Fox is loving it...

"One reason Fox execs are so thrilled with Lindelof's Alien draft is that, not only is it creatively engaging, but it adds no expensive 'set pieces' — production-speak for elaborate, effects-heavy action sequences that add millions to the cost of a film — to the movie."

It's also been assumed that the ALIEN prequel would be a hard R-rated affair, especially in light of recent comments by Scott that the film would be "really tough, really nasty". But Vulture's saying otherwise:

"We're told another reason Fox execs are pleased with Lindelof’s re-write of original screenwriter Jon Spaihts' script is that it's still aimed at a more accessible PG-13 rating. 'The thinking,' explains one insider, 'is that if the original Alien were released today, minus the F-bombs, you could still get a PG-13. Alien is a very Jaws-ian movie: There's no sex, and while there's lots of violence, most of it is off-camera. Maybe you'd have to cut away from certain scenes two seconds earlier, but it could be done.'"

And then there's Natalie Portman (BLACK SWAN). She's practically been up for every single female lead in Hollywood of late, so why not this one too? Vulture is claiming that Portman is Fox's current top choice for the role of a "a female Colonial Marine general". Now, I love Portman... but I'm having a hard time picturing her as a Marine general. The next name on the studio's list is the recently-reported Noomi Rapace, someone who to me just feels like a better fit for the part.

So... Natalie Portman, PG-13, Marines with no giant action set pieces, and PG-13(!!)... AFTER Ridley himself stated he wanted to vault over the bar set by Cameron with Aliens, and that he was planning a "brutal" film. Glad to see they're both on the same page...

Give it up Ridley, move along to The Forever War and give it the same TLC you showed Blade Runner. If these are the twilight years of your career... go out on top!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Re: Move along Ridley - Forget Alien!

Postby Attrage » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:43 pm

I'm really so torn with this one. When I first heard about it, I was pretty damn excited because it's a prequel and that mysterious "pilot" thing in the first Alien movie always fascinated me...was he a good guy? A bad guy? Part of some race involved in a war with the Aliens?? The possibilities were endless. But the more I thought about it, the more I was thinking, "don't ruin the mystery." I mean, the perfect example is the Clone Wars from Star Wars. In the original trilogy they were this enigmatic distant conflict that evoked all kinds of cool images of the just Jedi torn between the Republic and the evil tyrants plotting to turn it into the Empire. Who or what were the Clones?? Who was this Anakin guy before he became a Sith Lord? But then the new trilogy came along and answered those questions in the freakin lamest way possible. The clones were copies of this weird New Zealander who used to star in a television soap, and Anakin was a f*cking goddamn whining teenager. So yeah, I'm torn about the Alien prequel if it does the same injustice to the original. On the plus side, I do have more respect for Scott as a director than Lucas...so maybe there's hope?
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby yellow ledbetter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:16 pm

On the bright side, Ridley Scott as a filmaker isn't a shameless corporate whore, so if his name is on it, it will be good. Maybe not the same level as his best films, but it will still be worth seeing if he stays the course.
yellow ledbetter
Paralegal

Postby azul017 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:19 pm

Regardless, I think Ridley needs to be practical. His last few films cost $100M (or more), and they didn't do so well -- save for American Gangster. I think he could strengthen his resume with more low-budget films, encourage him to think out of the box.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby yellow ledbetter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:32 pm

That's true, it would be great to see him doing more innovative work again
yellow ledbetter
Paralegal

Postby mavrach » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:47 pm

It would be nice to see Ridley go back to sci-fi. Looking at his overall career, he has some highs and some lows. But he's made only two sci-fi movies (Alien & Blade Runner), and they were just about two of the best movies I've ever seen.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:00 pm

And the Alien Prequel is DEAD! HUZZAH!

In its place, comes PROMETHEUS!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:07 pm

azul017 wrote:Regardless, I think Ridley needs to be practical. His last few films cost $100M (or more), and they didn't do so well -- save for American Gangster. I think he could strengthen his resume with more low-budget films, encourage him to think out of the box.

Robin Hood
Cost: $200 Million
Gross: $321 Million

Body of Lies
Cost: $70 Million
Gross: $115 Million

American Gangster
Cost: $100 Million
Gross: $266 Million

Ridley's track record is just fine.
Steve T Power
Judge

Return to Movies