Cars 2 teaser

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Cars 2 teaser

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:47 am

Go ahead, watch it here...

Personal thoughts... I think I just threw up in my mouth... a little.

Please tell me that this teaser has no bearing on the plot whatsoever... please?
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Re: Cars 2 teaser

Postby OperaGal » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:15 pm

Well, um, that looks really...exciting.

:o
"Jaws was never my scene - And I don't like Star Wars" ;p
OperaGal
Paralegal

Postby mavrach » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:56 pm

I've absolutely loved every Pixar movie and consider them to be just about completely solid movies even for adults....except for Cars. Cars felt like just another talking animal (well, vehicle) CGI kids movie. I'd rather see Pixar make a sequel to any other movie but this one.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Dimwitted » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:16 pm

That's just... strange.

Pixar is going through some strange contortions lately. I'm hoping that the Diz isn't strangling Lassiter and crew.
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby Jim_Thomas » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:50 pm

That was...something.

Lightning and Mater as word-traveling spies? What is this going to be, an I Spy homage?

You have to give Pixar the benefit of the doubt based on their track record, but damn, this does not look good.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:53 pm

I recall reading an interview with Lasseter a while back in which he talked about why he wanted to make a Cars sequel. He said he was doing press in various parts of Europe, and during his travels he kept thinking to himself, "I wonder what Mater would do if he were here?" No, really. If only someone had stolen his WWMD bracelet, we might not be in this situation right now.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:48 pm

How about a sequel to Finding Nemo? call it Finding Dori? Give us some more lovable fish characters? There's a reason I can still love this damn flick even after two separate toddlers completely ran it into the ground and the gave it a spinning piledriver for good measure. Cars didn't even last through Abby's (my oldest juvenile delinquent in training) obsession before I wanted it to go away, permanent-like.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dunnyman » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:05 am

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I've yet to see a Pixar movie that was anything less than excellent.
This, http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=70948 on the other hand, made me throw up in my mouth a LOT....is nothing sacred?
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Jim_Thomas » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:15 am

Dunnyman wrote:I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I've yet to see a Pixar movie that was anything less than excellent.
This, http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=70948 on the other hand, made me throw up in my mouth a LOT....is nothing sacred?

Remaking The Thin Man?

Yes, because alcoholism is back in.

Of course, if Depp channels Capn Jack, it could be interesting, but still...just no.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby Dunnyman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:04 am

Jim_Thomas wrote:
Dunnyman wrote:I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I've yet to see a Pixar movie that was anything less than excellent.

Remaking The Thin Man?

Yes, because alcoholism is back in.

Of course, if Depp channels Capn Jack, it could be interesting, but still...just no.

Sadly, they'd probably skip that because it's so un-PC, Nick and Nora will be vegans who run a juice bar in Hawaii or some other such nonsense....at least Jackson had the good sense to do King Kong in the correct time period, this, they'll update it and utterly ruin any charm it might have had...
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Paul Kile » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:02 am

mavrach wrote:I've absolutely loved every Pixar movie and consider them to be just about completely solid movies even for adults....except for Cars. Cars felt like just another talking animal (well, vehicle) CGI kids movie. I'd rather see Pixar make a sequel to any other movie but this one.

I disagree - Cars was very enjoyable for me, but a lot of it had to do with all the automotive in-jokes. I am a car nut, and the homage to the Hudson stock car wins of the early 1950's was spot on. Mia and Tia (Lightning McQueens twin Miata groupies) had me laughing at their fickle nature and style over substance. And the backgrounds of Radiator Springs and the surrounding desert reveal something new every time I see the movie. The odd man out for me when it comes to Pixar is Up. Now there's a dark, brooding film that really bothered me, and it would have creeped me out even more if I had seen it as a kid.

But go ahead and blast me, I'm sure my views are not to be taken seriously on this forum, after all, I was the guy who liked Moonraker, for God's sake!
Cheers,
Paul Kile
My collection: http://www.dvdspot.com/member=PaulKile
Paul Kile
City Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:43 am

Paul Kile wrote:
mavrach wrote:I've absolutely loved every Pixar movie and consider them to be just about completely solid movies even for adults....except for Cars. Cars felt like just another talking animal (well, vehicle) CGI kids movie. I'd rather see Pixar make a sequel to any other movie but this one.

I disagree - Cars was very enjoyable for me, but a lot of it had to do with all the automotive in-jokes. I am a car nut, and the homage to the Hudson stock car wins of the early 1950's was spot on. Mia and Tia (Lightning McQueens twin Miata groupies) had me laughing at their fickle nature and style over substance. And the backgrounds of Radiator Springs and the surrounding desert reveal something new every time I see the movie. The odd man out for me when it comes to Pixar is Up. Now there's a dark, brooding film that really bothered me, and it would have creeped me out even more if I had seen it as a kid.

But go ahead and blast me, I'm sure my views are not to be taken seriously on this forum, after all, I was the guy who liked Moonraker, for God's sake!

Nope. I agree (except for the part about Up). I love the car culture aspect of the movie, and think Lasseter and company nailed it. There's absolutely nothing cynical or wrong about appealing to young boys' love of cars, and I found it perplexing that so many critics dismissed the flick in a knee-jerk fashion because of their political assumptions about the sort of people who like NASCAR -- especially since the movie's not really about racing at all. But whatevs.

I'll also say this: I don't think Cars gets the credit it deserves for blending adult sensibilities with a storyline and characters that readily appeal to children. I found the theme of the fading of the old Route 66 America in which families took car trips that were more leisurely and less utilitarian than our modern concept of travel emotionally resonant. Cars (and The Incredibles, for that matter) are key works in Pixar's evolution to the mature style of WALL-E and Up (and, I'd argue, Toy Story 3). It very much comes from Lasseter's adult experiences, and has an undercurrent of melancholy that is unusual in family fare. Without Cars, I don't think Pixar arrives at those later, more beloved, works.

(You are insane for liking Moonraker, though.)
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Bryan Pope » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:28 am

Dan Mancini wrote:I found the theme of the fading of the old Route 66 America in which families took car trips that were more leisurely and less utilitarian than our modern concept of travel emotionally resonant.

Bingo. That theme caught me entirely by surprise and really struck a chord. I think that scene and Toy Story 2's "When Somebody Loved Me" are among the most powerful and emotionally honest moments in animation.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:40 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
Paul Kile wrote:

Nope. I agree (except for the part about Up). I love the car culture aspect of the movie, and think Lasseter and company nailed it. There's absolutely nothing cynical or wrong about appealing to young boys' love of cars, and I found it perplexing that so many critics dismissed the flick in a knee-jerk fashion because of their political assumptions about the sort of people who like NASCAR -- especially since the movie's not really about racing at all. But whatevs.

I'll also say this: I don't think Cars gets the credit it deserves for blending adult sensibilities with a storyline and characters that readily appeal to children. I found the theme of the fading of the old Route 66 America in which families took car trips that were more leisurely and less utilitarian than our modern concept of travel emotionally resonant. Cars (and The Incredibles, for that matter) are key works in Pixar's evolution to the mature style of WALL-E and Up (and, I'd argue, Toy Story 3). It very much comes from Lasseter's adult experiences, and has an undercurrent of melancholy that is unusual in family fare. Without Cars, I don't think Pixar arrives at those later, more beloved, works.

(You are insane for liking Moonraker, though.)

Don't mistake me Dancini... I freakin' LOVED Cars on the first 47 or 53 viewings... I think I was one of those who defended it with terminal intensity around this parts... But Abby's continuous back to back showings just pounded it into dust, which will happen with the best of films when your toddlers know how the repeat function on the DVD player works, and yet Finding Nemo never fails to bring a smile to my face, even after both Abby and Sammie went through their Nemo phases (their room is even painted in an "under the sea" motif). When a film can withstand the constant bombardment of not one, but TWO toddlers, that's some goddamn staying power.

As for Cars II, the plot just sounds completely and utterly hackneyed... like something that might come out of Dreamworks' soulless marketing firm that calls itself an animation studio.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:06 pm

Trailer #1 online: http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3663567129/- this looks like a bona fide p.o.s.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby azul017 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Steve T Power wrote:Go ahead, watch it here...

Personal thoughts... I think I just threw up in my mouth... a little.

Same here. Looks like Pixar's track record will be tarnished again.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:32 am

I'd be interested how Pixar's reputation could be tarnished again when it hasn't been tarnished a first time.

I'd agree with Dan, Cars is kind of the key film in the development of their particular cinematic language and the original works really well on its own terms. Not my favorite Pixar but a movie I can happily sit down to watch. And yeah, hot rod cars are cool.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:40 am

Ugh. That trailer was wretched.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby azul017 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:24 am

HGervais wrote:I'd be interested how Pixar's reputation could be tarnished again when it hasn't been tarnished a first time.

I really didn't like Cars, outright loathe A Bug's Life and Finding Nemo is Pixar's most overrated film. Cars 2 is the first unneeded sequel on Pixar's resume, and I'll gladly take it back if the movie is good.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:35 am

Okay so their reputation isn't tarnished...you just have not liked some of their movies. Gotcha.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby mavrach » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:49 pm

This is Pixar's second sequel in a row. I'd rather see them continue creating new worlds rather than revisiting the existing ones.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby the5thghostbuster » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:44 am

IF they must make a sequel, how about WALL E? I could spend all day watching that film.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Return to Movies