Que Usted) NO VE (A)MBER?" WATCHING THREAD

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Que Usted) NO VE (A)MBER?" WATCHING THREAD

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:32 pm

Get it? ;-)

Alfred Hitchcock's LIFEBOAT (1944) on DVD for the first time. The moment Tallulah Bankhead's immaculate wardrobe/face/persona materializes in the mist of the wreckage of a sunken British ship torpedoed by a German U-boat during World War II (with her running stock bothering her more than the carnage around her) I knew I was in for a good time. It might be billed as an ensemble piece in which an impressive roster of character actors (Walter Slezak, William Bendix, Hume Cronyn, Canada Lee) and pretty faces with hot bods (John Hodiak, Mary Anderson, etc.) get at least a couple of standout scenes/moments that serve up moral conflicts for the audience (then and now) to ponder about. But, having watched this twice on the same day (the second time with the Drew Casper commentary track on), it feels more like (a) a self-challenge Hitch gave to himself about how he could make something so dull (survivors on a raft for 90+ minutes) interesting both visually and thematically, plus (b) a star vehicle for Tallulah's larger-than-life character to be humbled and stripped of the material belongings she values so much. The scene where Connie boozes and kisses Gus so the group can help amputate his gangrened leg (and every 'some of my best friends are ___' line delivery) is classic, as is pretty much the entire journey of Connie from selfish bitch to selfless-but-still-packing-an-attitude relatable chick (Tallulah and Hodiak make a cute opposites-attract movie couple). Only the ending (which was exciting and unexpected but just too ridiculously convenient) feels like conventional Hollywood hokum from the era, but the movie itself (acting, story, plot twists, etc.) is aces all around. Also, great Hitch cameo on a lifeboat where he isn't a passenger. :D

Alfred Hitchcock's STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (1951) on DVD for the first time. Saw "Lifeboat" in the afternoon, then watched "Strangers on a Train" overnight (stuck in the office over the weekend working) and my fragile little mind has been blown clean by watching new-to-me classic Hitch back-to-back. This is an amazing flick (shame Guy Haines wasn't a tad more shady and less doe-eyed innocent, but that's the way Hitch's innocent leading men roll), one whose main idea of 'swapped' murders has fueled the plots of hundreds of hours of procedural TV programs over the decades (the last Jerry Orbach episode of "Law & Order," 'C.O.D.,' was a tribute to this movie's 'criss cross' plot). Holy s***, Robert Walker is too awesome as a rich spoiled socialite that 'accidentally' runs into someone with whom he confides his plans. Bruno isn't just an out-of-the-blue cinematic sociopath though (the shot of him in the tennis stands without moving his head back-and-forth is classic), the couple of scenes where we meet his crazy Mom (Marion Lorne) give us all the background details we need to know about what shaped this man into the twisted f*** he is. Pat Hitchcock is surprisingly good as the comic relief sister of leading lady Ruth Roman (pretty but bland), who actually gets to share with Farley Granger's Guy the anxiety of being in on their shared knowledge of what Bruno is up to. The finale is borderline-OTT but damn if I wasn't standing up in the office watching the monitor screaming. And is it me or does it feel like an early 2000's remake of this movie starring Bill Murray as Bruno and Keanu Reeves as Guy would have been a great idea? :?

MST3K KTMA-17: TIME OF THE APES (1989/1987) on DVD for the first time. The only experiment in "MST3K" history without a human riffing alongside the robots ('Joel is floating naked in space'), this Sandy Frank import of a "Planet of the Apes" ripoff (two annoying kids and their nanny accidentally freeze in cryogenic chambers and 'awaken' in a world where ape-like people oppress 'hairless' humans) has the usual bad English dubbing that's expected from SD. But, because (a) Crow and Servo serve average riffs to (b) a cut of the movie that includes extra footage not present in the Season 3 remake of this experiment (i.e. we get a better explanation to what happens to Gôdo), (c) the inherent goofiness of the premise/special effects/execution actually makes for a surprisingly easy-to-enjoy bad movie that just happens to have sillouhetted puppets yammering. For "MST3K" completists only.

MST3K 818: DEVIL DOLL (1997/1964) on DVD. Low-wattage British horror experiment in which Bryant Haliday gets to chew scenery and make dramatic Svengali-like pronouncements as the Great Vorelli, whose plans for seducing wealthy Marianne (Yvonne Romain) to steal her fortune sets boyfriend/journalist Mark ("2001: A Space Odyssey's William Sylvester) to find out the truth behind Vorelli's popular ventriloquy act. The arguments Vorelli gets into with his puppet Hugo are meant to be tense and thrilling (is Hugo alive or not?) but, thanks to Mike and the Bots, they're milked for a healthy put down of anything vaudeville and/or British ('welcome... to snuff cabaret'). Host segments are OK ('Debbie!!!!') but this isn't a standout or memorable episode outside of the hilarious 'proof there's no God' anti-erotic seduction scene between Vorelli and Marianne (gulp!).

DEAD SET (2008) on IFC-HD for the first time. Simple but effective mini-series (which at 141 min. is shorter than many a Hollywood blockbuster) in which the UK version of "Big Brother" (which had far more penetration into UK pop culture than the US version) is overrun by zombies. Only a handful of survivors using the abandoned BB house and their wits (and knowledge of zombie lore) to survive. Not a fan of the Danny Boyle 'running fast' zombies and shaky-cam look that "Dead Set" embraces completely ("28 Days Later: The Series"). But, for what it's worth, this is a fun middle ground between gruesome living dead horror and pop culture parody (especially the opening segment when the BB house guests don't have a clue of what's taken place in the real world).

RIFFTRAX LIVE: THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (2010/1959) at the Chelsea theater in NYC for the first time. While the new shorts were every bit as fun and (in the case of “Paper and I”) insanely demented as the ‘grass’ short from the last show, overall, this wasn’t as much fun as the “Reefer Madness” concert to me. Part of the problem is that “House on Haunted Hill” (it was my first time seeing it, ever) is about 10 minutes too long, nothing happens and when it does you can tell it’s not real horror or supernatural stuff happening (I’ve seen enough William Castle flicks to know what to expect by now). I can’t believe that Castle so nakedly ripped-off Clouzot’s “Diabolique” for this cheap “horror” flick, which telegraphed the ending way before it was all over. Too many riffs were only OK and the character abuse on Lance got really annoying when they were ragging on the guy for the movie’s last 15 minutes even though he wasn’t on-screen. Though there were some funny zingers and moments (the blind woman ‘floating’ away from the basement room had the theater roaring with laughter, ‘Vote Christine O’Donnell,’ ‘someone created the internet,’ etc.) and I had a good time I’m sorry to say that this was a step back from the near-perfect experience I had three months earlier with “Reefer Madness.”

No complaints about Paul F. Tompkins joining Kevin/Mike/Bill as 'the fourth riffer,' he was in and out without harm and made a virtue of his brief on-camera time. I wish they’d cut in half the number of split-screen “Brady Bunch” riffing shots when the movie/short is playing; I concentrate 100% on the movie screen, so it’s annoying to be distracted when the guys are making faces or mugging for attention.
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Re: "(Que Usted) No Ve, (A)mber?" WATCHING THREAD

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:58 am

Nobuhiko Obayashi's HOUSE (1977) on Blu-ray. Here's what I wrote about "Hausu" back in January of 2009 (http://www.dvdverdict.com/juryroom/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=2946&p=37558&hilit=Nobuhiko+Obayashi+House#p37558): Seven age-school Japanese girlfriends with names that denote their personalities (Mac = hungry, Kung Fu = strong, Sweet = sweet, etc.) decide to spend a weekend at the countryside home of the wheelchair-bound aunt of their friend Gorgeous (Kimiko Ikegami), who is sad because his famous film-composer widow father is remarrying a jewerly designer (Haruko Wanibuchi). Sad that she's about to get an unwanted stepmother Gorgeous writes to his auntie asking if she and her friends can come visit. Then a pussycat named Blanche shows up in the mailbox along with a letter welcoming the girls to visit...

...I have to single out this one out because it's on a league of its own. Not to be confused with the 1986 horror/comedy "House" (they share the same English title and genres) "Hausu" is like the demented grindhouse cousin of "Evil Dead 2" and "Happiness of the Kutakuris" except it has more creativity and energy than those two movies combined times 100. Think Sam Raimi and Dario Argento (complete with constantly-repeating musical cues) meet Takashi Miike minus the misogyny that characterizes Dario's work. The girls all develop endearing archtype personalities of their own which, combined with the 'happy' music and the colorful backgrounds, makes them come across as a 'sentai' anime troop. No more than a minute goes by without a shot, prop, frame-rate change and/or camera trick (often a matte painting or blue screen shot to make a distance background look deliberately phony) turning what should be a standard-issue 'haunted house' story into one of the most cinematically insane 'house of horror' rides I have ever experienced. Even if some of the special effects are crude (it was shot in 1976) every frame of this movie is alive with the joy of filmmaking, which most contemporary movies have forgotten about. Here's the Japanese trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN0HVJ5tkIM.

That was just from my first and only viewing in standard definition on a compressed cable channel of a years-old print of the movie. Even though it's not showcase material (too soft and grainy) "House" on Blu-ray is a revelation. Colors jump out but aren't (except for select scenes like Gorgeous' balcony meet with her dad and stepmom-to-be) too strong or attention-gathering. Though some of the SFX work looks more crude and simplistic the integration of matte paintings and drawings in the background survives high-def scrutiny. I fully expected the illusion that foreground/background would be shattered by the extra resolution but, except for the views of Auntie's house from the watermelon stand (which also looked rough on regular TV), I was blown away by how picturesque and bigger-than-life a 33 year-old movie primarily shot in studios with analog chroma key technology/matte paintings supplying most of the backgrounds could look. Even better, since I'd already seen it I picked up little things about the characters that made their 'sentai anime troop' live action antics more endearing. Surprisingly, for a horror movie in which young nubile girls are dismembered (Melody) or stripped naked (Prof, who early in the story is told she has a great figure but doesn't show it), "House" doesn't come across as mean-spirited or hateful of women. If anything it's men (the watermelon salesman and the teacher) that are made to look like ineffective fools. The final scene's sad lament about lovers goes a long way to closing the "House" spectacle with a healthy dose of respect (and creepiness) that doesn't explain anything and yet says all that needs to be said. Kudos also to Obayashi-san for one insanely-cool and backstory-packed segment involving silent B&W footage-of-the-mind that Gorgeous' friends comment on as they 'watch it' on the bus ride to Satoyama Village (the arrival to the bus stop is my favorite scene in the movie, when Asei Kobayashi and Mickie Yoshimo's fetishistic repetition of their main theme song becomes narcoleptic and endearing).

If you own a Blu-ray player and don't grab this cheap from the Barnes & Noble 50% off sale then you're an even bigger fool than the girl in the movie that follows directions from a cat that can open AND CLOSE (!) doors on her own. ;-)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:00 pm

:? Am I the only one watching stuff in November? Or is everyone else just hungover from too many Halloween movies?

Watched the 'Preview' version of Hitchcock's STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (1951) on DVD for the first time. It's about 95% identical to the original but the 'happy' upbeat ending and alternate takes on the original's narrative sure stand out when rewatched a few days apart. Also, on repeat viewing I can see (though not necessarily agree with) Judge Hatch's point that it seems Bruno deliberately bumped into Guy on the train because he knew too much about him and was, thus, stalking him. Personally the idea that a complete stranger (one that happened to know about Guy because he was a professional tennis player) would bump his feet and insinuate himself into another person's life is a more scary thought, plus a parallel commentary on celebrity and the kind of personalities it attracts (Bruno would have eventually found someone else to try his 'criss-cross' plans with even if he hadn't bumped feet with Guy). Hitchcock movies (almost?) always get better with repeat viewings and, since I already knew how it would go down, found myself yet again mesmerized by Robert Walker's performance and even humming along with Dimitri Tiomkin's distinctive scores for the characters.

MST3K KTMA-19: HANGAR 18 (1989/1980) on DVD for the first time. The late 70′s/early 80′s movies riffed by The Brains during the national run of “MST3K” (“Laserblast,” “The Touch of Satan,” “Clonus,” etc.) are some of my favorites, and this one most closely mirrors those. "Capricorn O...", sorry, “Hangar 18″ takes its 'aliens on Earth' conspiracy plot way too seriously (Robert Vaughn makes a good heavy), which only makes it more funny that Gary freaking Collins is our astronaut hero! With Teen Wolf’s dad as the sidekick (cherry on top! :D) seeing the current fugitive of justice (http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/11/04/tv.host.warrant/) fight mano-a-mano with FBI agents is a hoot. Only Darren McGavin walks away from this turkey unharmed because, well, he’s Kolchak damn it! 8) Besides the obvious similarities to “Capricorn One” and “Close Encounters…” I couldn’t help but be reminded of Emmerich’s “Independence Day” when the scientist inside the ship uses the alien tech to tune into a local radio station (!). A voice-over ‘happy’ ending is bulls***, it's clear the producers went dark and this KTMA version attempts to cover that in a rather clumsy last-minute deviation from the predictable plot.

Other than the slightly-awkward first few minutes when Josh/Joel/Trace keep running over each other’s lines the guys are seriously beginning to gel in-theater with palpable, though not perfect, riffing chemistry. (‘It’s a surprisetory!’) I love it when Joel cracks laughing. Host segments range from the historic (in and out of the satellite in less than five seconds when 'Movie Sign' comes on) to the mundane (1,000th club member… big whoop!). Ratio of joke-per-minute is improving but, unlike the earlier “SST Death Flight” (which they were clearly delighted to be riffing), back in '89 The Brains seemed to not be as inspired to assault a movie with humor the least they liked or cared about it. Still, the prototype 70′s flick that would become a staple of "MST3K" during its national run begins here, and it's a dooze. Watch out for Gary Collins though, he's on the loose! ;-)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Re: Que Usted) NO VE (A)MBER?" WATCHING THREAD

Postby Andrew Forbes » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:15 pm

Max Manus. A pretty decent resistance biopic, though it feels more like an assemblage of scenes than an organic whole. It could probably stand to have another half-hour of connective tissue woven through it. It's never quite clear how Max and his fellow saboteurs get to Britain during spots of trouble. We just cut to Scotland for a minute until its time for another run into Norway. The war's end is especially abrupt. One moment we're outside a safe-house full of German soldiers ready to ambush any stray resistance members, the next moment we're listening to an English radio broadcaster announcing the death of Hitler. It's a huge disruption of the dramatic flow, and the denouement suffers for it. Having said that, the movie is full of tense sabotage missions and close calls with the Gestapo. Well worth tracking down for any fans of Army of Shadows or Black Book.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:50 pm

the Mist (2007) hmmm.... if it was a little less Stephen Kingy..i'd like it better as a good ole monsters in the mist film...as it lay...it's The Stand+the Fog+Assault on Precinct 13. and that rug jerk ending? some studio exec should have put the Kibosh on THAT! though i would like to see Mrs. Carmody go one on one with Randall Flagg.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:55 pm

molly1216 wrote:the Mist (2007) hmmm.... if it was a little less Stephen Kingy..i'd like it better as a good ole monsters in the mist film...as it lay...it's The Stand+the Fog+Assault on Precinct 13. and that rug jerk ending? some studio exec should have put the Kibosh on THAT! though i would like to see Mrs. Carmody go one on one with Randall Flagg.

I really like the gut-punch ending,it's better than the one King came up with in the original short story. Did you see the b&w version? The film works much better that way.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:58 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:
molly1216 wrote:the Mist (2007) hmmm.... if it was a little less Stephen Kingy..i'd like it better as a good ole monsters in the mist film...as it lay...it's The Stand+the Fog+Assault on Precinct 13. and that rug jerk ending? some studio exec should have put the Kibosh on THAT! though i would like to see Mrs. Carmody go one on one with Randall Flagg.

I really like the gut-punch ending,it's better than the one King came up with in the original short story. Did you see the b&w version? The film works much better that way.

I disagree though. The ending felt less like an ending and more like just another excuse to throw a twist. Almost like something M Night would do.

I'd rather they played it straighter and either had them drive out in a traditional way or stay in the grocery store as it passes.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Bryan Pope » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:27 am

mkiker2089 wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:

I disagree though. The ending felt less like an ending and more like just another excuse to throw a twist. Almost like something M Night would do.

I'd rather they played it straighter and either had them drive out in a traditional way or stay in the grocery store as it passes.

I enjoyed The Mist enough to watch it several times, but I resent the ending. And I'm not talking about the gun scene in the car. That has a certain tragic logic to it. But the reveal that immediately follows undercuts it and turns it into a cruel cosmic joke. I felt like the movie decided to punish its hero (and me as a viewer) at the last second. It felt cheap and full of contempt. Otherwise, good movie. I really want to see the b&w version.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Future Man » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:17 am

J.M. Vargas wrote:Nobuhiko Obayashi's HOUSE (1977) on Blu-ray. If you own a Blu-ray player and don't grab this cheap from the Barnes & Noble 50% off sale then you're an even bigger fool than the girl in the movie that follows directions from a cat that can open AND CLOSE (!) doors on her own. ;-)

What would this likely be rated today?
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby Future Man » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:22 am

mkiker2089 wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:

I hated the ending...nothing that preceded it led up to what happened. Plus the human antagonists were horridly drawn caricatures. In fact little rang true in the whole movie, in terms of how people simply talk, or how you'd expect them to react, typical of a Stephen King adaptation.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:32 am

Bryan Pope wrote:I enjoyed The Mist enough to watch it several times, but I resent the ending. And I'm not talking about the gun scene in the car. That has a certain tragic logic to it. But the reveal that immediately follows undercuts it and turns it into a cruel cosmic joke. I felt like the movie decided to punish its hero (and me as a viewer) at the last second. It felt cheap and full of contempt. Otherwise, good movie. I really want to see the b&w version.

The cruel cosmic joke thing might be right, it kind of feels like an E.C. Comics ending -which is why I like it. I think SK himself enjoyed it immensely.

I finished my Halloween viewing with Child's Play 1+2+3 : The only one I really liked is the second one which is arguably a slicker, funner version of the first 1. #3 is pretty boring - the best part is the beginning... Bride Of Chucky still stands as the only one I love.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:30 am

^^^ Really?
Image ;-)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:09 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:
Bryan Pope wrote:I enjoyed The Mist enough to watch it several times, but I resent the ending. And I'm not talking about the gun scene in the car. That has a certain tragic logic to it. But the reveal that immediately follows undercuts it and turns it into a cruel cosmic joke. I felt like the movie decided to punish its hero (and me as a viewer) at the last second. It felt cheap and full of contempt. Otherwise, good movie. I really want to see the b&w version.

The cruel cosmic joke thing might be right, it kind of feels like an E.C. Comics ending -which is why I like it. I think SK himself enjoyed it immensely.

indeed...what happens after the car was gratuitous and unnecessary...indeed it was an E C Comics ending...but then since the crypt keeper wasn't IN the film, i am not prepared to accept such a bait and switch.
and i don't think SK Is the best judge of films nevermind adaptations of his work. isn't he responsible for Maximum Overdrive ?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:04 am

molly1216 wrote:and i don't think SK Is the best judge of films nevermind adaptations of his work. isn't he responsible for Maximum Overdrive ?

True. But he was heavily into cocaine back then... So maybe the coke is responsible.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:26 pm

I for one loved the ending, but i'm a twisted, evil bastard anyway.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:26 pm

I wasn't crazy about the ending the first time I saw The Mist, as I felt it was a bit too heavy-handed for the film's old-school monster movie tone. However, a second viewing convinced me of the ending's merit - I was able to accept that the film is trying to deal with the characters in a serious, credible manner despite the B-movie elements built into the plot. And Gabriel is right; the black-and-white works wonders for the film (scenes that seemed a bit campy in color were spectacularly creepy in b&w).
cdouglas
Judge

Postby HGervais » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:33 pm

molly1216 wrote:and i don't think SK Is the best judge of films nevermind adaptations of his work. isn't he responsible for Maximum Overdrive ?

I don't know....his overview of horror films, Danse Macabre is essential reading. Is Maximum Overdrive art? Nope but it sure is a lot of fun.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Future Man » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:40 pm

Charade on Blu-ray
This is quite an entertaining movie--one of those titles where, if you don't finish it in a first sitting, you can't wait to get back to it. The colors are gorgeous.

Ordet
My first Dreyer film, and what a moving experience it was. You do have to get used to everyone m-o-v-i-n-g v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y (my wife was convinced the camera was hard to swing around or something) and often the actors look offscreen rather than at the person they are talking to (my wife's theory? cue cards!) but it nonetheless packs quite an emotional wallop.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:46 pm

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - I didn't unconditionally love this the way some did in theatres, but in classic Edgar Wright fashion, it plays awesomely at home with a group of people, and it gets better with each viewing. The showdown with Todd is still unquestionably my favorite bit in the film... "You just drank half n half, baby!"
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby HGervais » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:57 pm

Steve T Power wrote:Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - I didn't unconditionally love this the way some did in theatres, but in classic Edgar Wright fashion, it plays awesomely at home with a group of people, and it gets better with each viewing. The showdown with Todd is still unquestionably my favorite bit in the film... "You just drank half n half, baby!"

Funny thing is I didn't unconditionally love either Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz! either. Yet something stuck with me on both films and it took 2 or 3 viewings before it all kind of clicked for me. I saw Scott Pilgrim 3 times in the theater and my third time was easily my most enjoyable.

I watched Centurian the other night. In true Neil Marhsall fashion the movie is amalgam of different movies that Marshall makes his own. It moves like a shot out of hell and doesn't give one a chance to think about it too much. Michael Fassbender is a serious leading man and I can hardly wait to see what he does as Magneto in X-Men: First Class. Now to be totally honest, there was a point where the remains of the 9th Legion were on the run and I was kind of hoping they would hide out in a cave and have to battle the creatures from Marshall's The Descent. How much fun would that have been? Anyway, great looking blu-ray. Lot of fun.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:32 pm

HGervais wrote:I watched Centurian the other night. In true Neil Marhsall fashion the movie is amalgam of different movies that Marshall makes his own. It moves like a shot out of hell and doesn't give one a chance to think about it too much. Michael Fassbender is a serious leading man and I can hardly wait to see what he does as Magneto in X-Men: First Class. Now to be totally honest, there was a point where the remains of the 9th Legion were on the run and I was kind of hoping they would hide out in a cave and have to battle the creatures from Marshall's The Descent. How much fun would that have been? Anyway, great looking blu-ray. Lot of fun.
I have watching Fassbender since Band of Brothers..just waiting for him to blow up big. Centurion is worth watching for the shirt off scenes alone. 8) look for him in 2011 Cronenberg has him as Carl Jung and he's cast as the young Magneto
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:23 pm

Steve T Power wrote:Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - I didn't unconditionally love this the way some did in theatres, but in classic Edgar Wright fashion, it plays awesomely at home with a group of people, and it gets better with each viewing. The showdown with Todd is still unquestionably my favorite bit in the film... "You just drank half n half, baby!"

Just saw i an I must say I really loved it. Now I'm biased because I dug the comic book; but Wright surpasses it IMHO. For one the movie is so tightly paced and the fights are more inventive than the ones in the comic -especially the fight with the twins. All the actors were perfecly cast and I thought Cera was great. So basically, I side with Erich's review, although I wouldn't go as far as calling it the best comic book movie.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:12 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:

Just saw i an I must say I really loved it. Now I'm biased because I dug the comic book; but Wright surpasses it IMHO. For one the movie is so tightly paced and the fights are more inventive than the ones in the comic -especially the fight with the twins. All the actors were perfecly cast and I thought Cera was great. So basically, I side with Erich's review, although I wouldn't go as far as calling it the best comic book movie.

That's milk n eggs, Bitch.

I'm still laughing at that cameo...
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:04 pm

the hangover...what do you know?...a comedy that's funny all the way around the course.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Rewatched Nic Roeg's WALKABOUT (1971) on Blu-ray with the Roeg/Jenny Agutter commentary track. Really enjoyed the relaxed way in which these two (recorded separately) cover just about anything that needs to be told about such a unique and picturesque (for those of us watching, not the one's that actually had to shoot the thing) movie. The anecdotes about lil' Luc Roeg standing on a box at the edge of a precipice with a rope around his waist in order for him to be visible to the camera at the bottom (accompanied by a giant on-camera skip when Luc jumps down from the box) is a highlight. Pretty pictures in high-def too make replay watching on BD a relaxing joy.

MST3K KTMA-20: THE LAST CHASE (1989/1981) on DVD for the first time. It has a reasonably good premise of a dystopian future (U.S. government bans cars and gas after an epidemic wipes out a sizable portion of the U.S. population) but falls pray to the genre’s reliable failure of giving a convincing timeline for the events it depicts to have taken place. You mean to tell me in the 20 years since fuel was outlawed there are NO adults that remember fondly car driving or flying planes with the passion that Lee Majors and Burgess Meredith, respectively, display? Guess all the car-loving folks were caught on the California side of the country where Majors and a runaway teenager are headed on a stolen Porsche. Loved that the bad guys (their control room clearly patterned after the United Nation’s assembly room) are bureaucrats that have never seen a movie before. Where's the “Escape From New York”-type device and/or hostage held that Burgess wanted/loved badly enough to be conflicted and forced to come back to when he's sent after Lee's car? The teenager that hitchhikes along with Lee reminded me more of Harry Potter than Rowsdower (brainy and geeky but also normal). Lee Majors was in-between series and makes for a bland leading man (with fluffy perfect hair to match), but damn it he’s the Six Million Dollar Man and he married Farrah. It takes a lot to make me lose respect for what was once during my childhood an effortlessly cool MOFO, and “The Last Chase” isn’t it. Lee's 'Bionic Hearing Aid' commercial on the other hand:lol:

With “The Last Chase” KTMA experiment that we have hit a natural ceiling with what the then-young Brains could do with this premise, the available-at-hand movie material and their resources. There was no place for the “MST3K” creators to go on KTMA except abandoning it altogether or striking out on their own. Basically the movie serves one cool-but-ridiculous air ball after another for Joel and the Bots to hit at will. And, unlike many previous KTMA’s, they’re rarely quiet and most of what they say is funny. I thought I was seeing another “SST Death Flight”-like ‘grab an obvious gag and run with it until its milked dry’ masterpiece when they wouldn’t shut up about Lee Majors’ hair. But the hair jokes died quickly when they gave way to car jokes, society jokes (‘very ineffective architecture given the energy crisis’), America jokes, Meredith-as-The Penguin jokes, 70′s jokes, surveillance jokes (‘A world run by Sony’)… basically J&TB’s don’t settle on any one target or thing (Lee is the closest but they go relatively easy on him) and the riffs are surprisingly varied, frequent and hilarious. Only the host segments were disappointing to me (not one made me crackle or even laugh a little) but this a KTMA I would love to see released on a Shout! set.

THE SOPRANOS: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON (1999) on Blu-ray. I traded the first disc of my DVD Box Set for a Blu-ray one during a Warner promotion (got it for $20 and sent my mother the remaining S1 DVD's along with copies of the missing episodes) and just finished watching them in a marathon viewing. Besides everyone looking 20 or so years younger and many pounds lighter (Gandolfini looks almost fit and trim compared to how Tony Soprano ended in 2007) I'm surprised at how quickly the show establishes its own near-flawless editing rhythm and wicked-black sense of humor. Christopher (Michael Imperioli) yelling 'Kundun, loved it' to a Martin Scorsese lookalike was the moment I knew this show was destined for greatness. :D It has a couple of dogs ('A Hit is a Hit') but mostly I was gripped ('College'), howling with laughter (Christopher looking for his name in the papers in 'Legend of Tennessee Moltinsanti') and just plain entertained (any scenes with Dr. Melfi's family of prejudiced middle-age f***s out in the real world) watching this 11 year-old series with a new shiny (though somewhat faded) coat of high-def paint. One episode I remember disliking when it originally aired, 'Down Neck' (in which Tony has flashbacks to his childhood and his first awareness of what his dad, mom and Uncle Jr. were really like), became a revelation when I realized for the first time that the exaggerated and comical way the actors oversell their roles was deliberate because they're Tony's distorted childhood memories, not reality. HBO should update their bonus features (not a lot, all of it repeated from the 2000 DVD set) and packaging though, especially for the price this set fetches at retail.

TRANSPORTER 3 (2008) on Showtime HD for the first time. It was a Saturday afternoon and the Mexican soccer match I wanted to watch wasn't starting for another 90 or so minutes. "Transporter 3" was starting on Showtime, so it was either watch the movie or do a pile of laundry. Needless to say now, but I should have done the laundry! :( I can enjoy dumb and stupid action flicks as much as the next guy, but a slickly-overdone remake of the same movie we've seen two times already (more if you lump all of Statham's similar action flicks together) left my movie-loving heart aching and my eyes rolled so far back in my head I could see my own brain cells dying. To secure a PG-13 rating the one-on-one fights and shootouts have been edited with the sped-up, skip-frame style that Peter Hunt brought to the early James Bond movies (back when such technique was gritty) set to 11. It's only missing the Benny Hill 'Yakety Sax' theme music for the complete effect. And don't get me started on Frank's car being underwater, then surfacing with an air device and almost immediately being able to keep up with a train and jump on top/into it minutes later. :shock: I had to turn on my HDTV's closed captioning to understand what Natalya Rudakova was saying (not that it was anything less than incoherent babble) but at least Robert Knepper livens things up a little with his educated 'T-Bagish' manners. Say, where did my dirty sox go?

And, last but not least, THE WALKING DEAD (2010) on AMC-HD for the first time. The earlier discussion about "The Mist" (whose controversial ending I like) was in my mind as I watched Darabont squeeze drama, pathos and shocking-for-television gory scenes out of a genre (the living dead come back to life) that I thought had been squeezed dry of any new wrinkles. The scene in the pilot episode (which goes through the obligatory cliches needed to establish the premise... again!) where Andrew Lincoln goes into a park to put an end to the misery of the first zombie he ever encountered (a throwaway moment in any other flick) showed me that there is dramatic and empathic potential to an ongoing TV series whose final outcome is known from the start. Bear McCreary ("Battlestar Galactica") provides fine background music (it's there but you don't notice it, which is the way it should be) and the show has the motion picture production values that even network TV seems to have shied away from in recent years. The first real episode after the pilot had a noticeable drop in quality from Darabont's pilot. The supporting cast surrounding Lincoln (whose Brit accent occasionally slips out) is pretty shaky too. But, this being a zombie TV series, that's something that could drastically change at any moment. ;-)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:34 am

The Good, the Bad, the Weird. An absolute blast from start to finish. This movie has some of the most animated and elaborate camera work I've ever seen. There are moments when digital trickery had to be used, but it's completely seamless. Kang-ho Song is, as always, the highlight among the cast.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:38 am

Kick-Ass : I liked it but I'm note head over heels about it. It's got some pacing issues and it's too sly for it's own good. It felt ike a nerd trying too hard to be cool. Even the 11 year old girl assassin is something we've seen done before and better (Léon). All in all I think I preferred the less high profile but more charming Defendor. Vaughn's definitely got a great sense of style though.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Red Planet - A guilty pleasure that I've gone back to repeatedly. Far from perfect, but it feels like this could have been something good with a few tweaks. Killing the most interesting character (Terrance Stamp) so early without any development, and leaving one of the final three character be so uninteresting, both bad moves. But it's a fun movie and I seem to be the only person who likes it.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Bryan Pope » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:19 am

Finally watched Pixar's Up and was...strangely disappointed by the story. I thought the first 20 minutes and the last 5 were among the best I'd seen in any film, animation or live action. I loved the gentleness and poignancy of Carl's and Ellie's relationship, and I wish the movie had maintained that tone. But once the actual "adventure" got underway and Muntz and his dogs arrived, the movie's brittle spell was broken for me. I was disenchanted by it. I don't think this movie needed a villain to drive the plot. Not all movies do (Kiki's Delivery Service, Finding Nemo). Carl, Ellie and even Russell were engaging and believable enough to carry the movie and produce a lovely story about loss, regret and rediscovering life.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:10 pm

Bryan Pope wrote:Finally watched Pixar's Up and was...strangely disappointed by the story.

So I'm not the only one. I found the adventure portion of the story remarkably light on imagination, both narrative and visual. We begin with a story about a man who ties thousands of balloons to his house and flies away to... a jungle with some rocky cliffs and a tall bird. Then he gets chased.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:23 pm

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World for like the 5th time. This viewing was with my Steve who owns the comic book shop I've been going to since the early 90s. To say he geeked out over the movie and that I geeked out over him geeking out would be an understatement. I just don't get why more people aren't going apeshit over this movie. It really is that good.
HGervais
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:44 pm

HGervais wrote:Scott Pilgrim vs. The World for like the 5th time. This viewing was with my Steve who owns the comic book shop I've been going to since the early 90s. To say he geeked out over the movie and that I geeked out over him geeking out would be an understatement. I just don't get why more people aren't going apeshit over this movie. It really is that good.

He Geeks, He'll geek, he has the capacity to geek.

I'm on #6 now, and have added the blu-ray to my collection. This flick has me, and it is not letting go.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Future Man » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:49 pm

Red Desert on Blu ray
The colors are gorgeous even when the landscapes on display are ugly (as they almost always are), and the compositions are masterful, but it's all in service of what, I'm just at a loss to say. Themes of alienation and spiritual decay are posed as questions with no suggested answers--navel gazing at its most refined.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:40 pm

Predators ...i'm sorry, so sorry..<hangs head in shame>...i liked it. Not enough to buy it or rewatch it.. but I surely do like me a good B-movie sci fi film full of aliens and 'splosions. I did come away thinking that Lawrence Fishburne does a decent Brando imitation and Adrien Brody's voice couldn't get any lower unless he was mainlining testosterone..which after seeing his shirtless mudless scene..i think he may have actually done.

The Good, the Bad, the Weird - finally got time to watch it entirely...and holycrap man...that is an E-Ticket Ride no detractions, 130 minutes of nearly straight chases, gunfights and stunts - horses that never need water, motorcycles that don't need petrol and guns that never have to be reloaded. henchmen who can't hit the broadside of a barn with a minigun and heroes who trick shoot at 40 miles an hour. oooh baby, why can't americans make films like this? I really don't think i have seen a Korean film I didn't like.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was that a cockney accent that Jake was affecting? whatever it was it was distracting. Most of the UK actors do Royal Shakespeare company English when in a costume drama...his accent was excellent but IMHO it stood out. On the whole i liked the Sinbad without Sinbad epic, but I would have been much happier with a simpler plot perhaps get the princess from point A to Point B to hide the dagger......and a dagger with a button? what was with all the traveling? i wasn't really sure of the geography. I did like the stuntwork, endless chases through crowded streets dodging arrows that narrowly miss the hero...never gets old in my book.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Whatever Works - Larry David is definitely the best Woody Allen stand-in yet. The movie is an odd beast though, it's really great until Melody's parents show up and then it falls into caricature and 180 degree turns from the characters. Minor Allen is still funnier than most comedies out there.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:05 am

molly1216 wrote:
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was that a cockney accent that Jake was affecting? whatever it was it was distracting. Most of the UK actors do Royal Shakespeare company English when in a costume drama...his accent was excellent but IMHO it stood out. On the whole i liked the Sinbad without Sinbad epic, but I would have been much happier with a simpler plot perhaps get the princess from point A to Point B to hide the dagger......and a dagger with a button? what was with all the traveling? i wasn't really sure of the geography. I did like the stuntwork, endless chases through crowded streets dodging arrows that narrowly miss the hero...never gets old in my book.

It was breezy fun. but the Dagger with a Button plot device is evidence of why a movie adapted from a video game can't be TOO faithful and still be excellent. That said, I had a great time with Prince overall, sure Kingsley is easily telegraphed, but I like that the rest of the characters don't quite evolve as they're initially presented, and the ending is really pretty slick; similar to, though actually not as subtle as the video game's ending.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:29 pm

Salt - Snap! That was freaking awesome! Angelina does some fine stuff, and outside of the final baddie reveal, I had no idea what the hell was going down amidst all the chaos. Damn good, relentlessly paced stuff.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:54 am

Jonah Hex - which i ALMOST loved...it smacked of EC COMICS meet Wild Wild West..but if there was a little MORE EC and a little less WWW i'd have liked it more. I can see why they would have PC'd it up and blame the scarring on QT instead of the Apache...but i think they should have stayed with a graphic animated film instead of live action...and wasn't the girl supposed to be scarred up too? it's been a long time since i have read the comics..and I confess i didn't read them consistently...but i think they missed out on a lot of better content for the plot.

Moonlight S1 - a television series created completely out of tropes. It's like fan fiction written by someone who liked the concept of Whedon's ANGEL, but felt they could do it better. [Sophia Myles is a dead on doppelganger for Elisabeth Röhm] Brooding detective - (a guy with a curse), ancient 'friend-slash-advisor, inquisitive blonde reporter/cop etc.. the only 'NEW' anything are a few of the incidental twists on Lore. seriously it was pandering to the post Buffy crowd, however those fans had outgrown the stereotypes and the tween-twighlighters didn't need all the detective series trappings. Regardless of how much vampire genre fans like it, the production was slick enough, it's not BAD at all, just boring, it was kinda doomed from the get go. I really don't think Genre shows have a chance in hell on broadcast tv, the audiences are too small, it needs to stay with basic cable where the ratings don't have to be THAT high in order to save the show from the ax.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby cdouglas » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:48 am

Steve T Power wrote:Salt - Snap! That was freaking awesome! Angelina does some fine stuff, and outside of the final baddie reveal, I had no idea what the hell was going down amidst all the chaos. Damn good, relentlessly paced stuff.

I know, right? One of the year's most pleasant surprises for me. Looking forward to re-watching it on Blu-ray in a few weeks.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby mavrach » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:54 pm

Ong-Bak 2 - I was bored by the story but woke up for the action sequences. I'd seen the first one a few years back, and it's just dazzling to watch Tony Jaa fight. The first one was good enough to be light on plot, while the second one attempted to have some intrigue with a few action sequences sprinkled in before the all-out finale.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby azul017 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:00 pm

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - I know Steve and Harold will crucify me, but this film just isn't for me. It has some laugh out-loud moments, great visuals, and great cameos -- but for me, it's too video-gamey and comic-book niche for me. (And I really don't like Michael Cera.) I think Edgar Wright hits the mark when it comes to genre satire like Hot Fuzz (which I love), but stuff like Scott Pilgrim and Shawn of the Dead (yeah, I said it) is hit or miss. I wanted to like this, but I can't.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - A bit too faithful to the first half of the book, this film is a nice buildup to next summer's Part 2. Some great visuals and score help accentuate the shakeup of the films' usual structure. But David Yates relies on handheld camerawork a bit too often, such as the scenes in Grimmauld Place.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Bryan Pope » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:33 am

Watched last year's Disney's A Christmas Carol a couple of times this weekend and was struck by how much better it gets with each viewing. In fact, it highlights some themes in the original Dickens story that I've never seen other versions pick up on.

I like how the ghosts in this one have it in for Scrooge. I mean, they REALLY have it in for him. And starting with demise of the Ghost of Christmas Present through the entire visit by the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, this movie becomes a demented horror film that would scare the crap out of my ten-year-old.

The film's best touch, though, is a little throwaway moment when Cratchit stands face to face with an invisible Scrooge on the stairs after Tiny Tiny has (spoiler!) died. It's a quiet, gut-wrenching moment.

This may actually be the most faithful film version of the book, which makes me all the more annoyed that it's called DISNEY'S A Christmas Carol.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:47 am

Finally took the wrapping off of my blu-ray copy of The Last Samurai over the weekend. First time i'd seen it since I purchased the DVD way back on release. Sweet merciful crap I love this movie. I love how it takes its time without throwing a ton of action scenes into the mix, I love that the relationships between Captain Alghren and his captors felt real and developed over time rather than being some trite Hollywood epiphany. Cruise and Watanabe bring it bigtime here (I don't think I've ever seen Cruise more emotionally bare than he is here), and that finale is a stunning thing to witness in HD. Between Glory, Defiance, Blood Diamond, and this, I just don't understand why Ed Zwick isn't held in higher regard.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:20 pm

Steve T Power wrote:I just don't understand why Ed Zwick isn't held in higher regard.

Zwick's critical standing, and that of the movie, certainly isn't helped by one of the most embarrassingly overwrought endings ever filmed. Ladies and gentlemen, members of the Academy: for your consideration.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Future Man » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:25 pm

Trouble in Paradise
We have a winner from 1932 no less.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Future Man wrote:Trouble in Paradise
We have a winner from 1932 no less.

awesome movie.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:38 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:I just don't understand why Ed Zwick isn't held in higher regard.

Zwick's critical standing, and that of the movie, certainly isn't helped by one of the most embarrassingly overwrought endings ever filmed. Ladies and gentlemen, members of the Academy: for your consideration.

Don't you get it? History and Overwrought go hand in hand!
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:20 am

Steve T Power wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

Then you won't mind when I seize your family's assets and give them as a gift to my people, will you, Steve? Also, all exams are canceled.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:30 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

Then you won't mind when I seize your family's assets and give them as a gift to my people, will you, Steve? Also, all exams are canceled.

Jerk!
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mavrach » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:32 pm

So I finally FINALLY got Netflix, so I watched:

My Name Is Bruce - It's a really crappy movie with a sprinkling of awesome jokes within. You gotta love the patron saint of bean curd though.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - I can't beleive I never saw this before. I'd always pictured it as being somewhat cheesy, but it was a tensly drawn story of society being taken over. Unfortunately the one thing I was aware of the movie turned out be a major spoiler, it was the final twist (the "pointing" shot).
mavrach
County Attorney

Next

Return to Movies