Que Usted) NO VE (A)MBER?" WATCHING THREAD

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Re: Que Usted) NO VE (A)MBER?" WATCHING THREAD

Postby molly1216 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:59 pm

The Expendables.....um....has Stallone SEEN an action film made in the last 5 years? cause don't get me wrong the cast is super cool and the explosions are appropriately big and loud and the dialogue worthy of any 13 year old boy..and it is nice to see something RETRO now and then...but it's been an hour since i watched it and I am hungry again 8(
Not a film I will remember seeing.

Splice - i didn't get past the 1st reel...i still have it till friday maybe if i get bored i will try again
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:50 am

File in the "Late to the party" folder:

Inception - Or maybe I was having a dream about having a dream that I was watching Inception... Yeah... So, best of 2010? That was one amazing ride. I fear it may suffer from "Memento-itis" and buckle under repeat viewings in rapid succession, but, like The Prestige, it's definitely a film i'll revisit from time to time. Chris Nolan, you da man.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:25 pm

Taking Woodstock - A slight, if enjoyable coming of age story that doesn't brake any new ground. Kinda disappointing from Ang Lee.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:37 pm

Centurion. Aside from the too-frequent, self-conscious attempts at bad-ass dialogue, typical of Neil Marshall, this was a blast. Marshall's learned to add some visual coherence to his action scenes since Doomsday while keeping the splatter level high. Between this and Inglourious Basterds, Michael Fassbender deserves to be a huge star.

Now let's see if Marshall can make a movie that isn't about a group trapped in hostile territory and trying to escape. He's filmed the same basic plot four times and it's time for a change.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:22 pm

Isle Of The Dead/Bedlam - Isle is a fairly unimpressive affair that would be forgotten if it wasn't for Karloff's performance and the Lewton cred. Bedlam on the other hand was fairly enjoyable,even if it lacks the atmosphere Tourneur or Wise could have given it. There's some really good dialog in there and both Anna Lee and Karloff are impressive.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:42 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Isle Of The Dead/Bedlam - Isle is a fairly unimpressive affair that would be forgotten if it wasn't for Karloff's performance and the Lewton cred. Bedlam on the other hand was fairly enjoyable,even if it lacks the atmosphere Tourneur or Wise could have given it. There's some really good dialog in there and both Anna Lee and Karloff are impressive.

i don't know about you but the whole betting buried alive thing scared the crap out of me.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:12 am

Valhalla Rising - Second time around, and it still didn't really grab me. I think it's just a deeper movie than I want out of kick ass crusaders and a one eyed Norse bad-ass. It's artistically self indulgent to a fault, and loaded with Religious commentary. Mads Mikkelson remains pretty damned awesome, and the blu-ray certainly looks purdy, but I remain detached from the film itself.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:14 am

molly1216 wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:Isle Of The Dead/Bedlam - Isle is a fairly unimpressive affair that would be forgotten if it wasn't for Karloff's performance and the Lewton cred. Bedlam on the other hand was fairly enjoyable,even if it lacks the atmosphere Tourneur or Wise could have given it. There's some really good dialog in there and both Anna Lee and Karloff are impressive.

i don't know about you but the whole betting buried alive thing scared the crap out of me.

I should have mentioned that, it was the only effective part of the movie IMHO.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Future Man » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:49 am

The Bridge on the River Kwai Blu
The picture quality is stunning. All these years later the last several minutes remain as edge-of-your-seat gripping as anything of its type ever filmed IMO.
Future Man
County Attorney

Previous

Return to Movies