Deja View: unofficial remakes

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Deja View: unofficial remakes

Postby molly1216 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:10 am

watched Neil Marshalls Centurion...read roman britain splatterfest...and i kept getting the feeling i was watching other movies...most specifically Michael Mann's Last of the Mohicans. like my beloved Dog Soldiers...the film is made of pieces from other films.

I keep getting the deja view feeling a lot lately.
any more examples out there?

a non-film (...yet) situation is the Addams Family broadway show which is just a goth version of Cage Aux Folles.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Re: Deja View: unofficial remakes

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:19 am

Yeah Marshall is really good at mixing those cult movies Doomsday felt like a mash-up of The Road Warrior and Escape From New York.

John Carpenter's Assault On Precinct 13 is an unofficial remake of Rio Bravo

While we're mentioning Carpenter, Robert Rodriguez'Planet Terror is a mix between Carpenter's 80's stuff and George A. Romero zombie flicks.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:32 am

A Bug's Life -------> Battle Beyond the Stars -----> Magnificent Seven ------> Seven Samurai.

Though I think Mag Seven is considered official.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:46 pm

Four Brothers is an unofficial remake of The Sons of Katie Elder.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:16 pm

is it my imagination? is the Burton Alice in Wonderland, oddly similar to something from Narnia?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Bryan Pope » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:59 pm

"Cars" is virtually a remake of "Doc Holiday." (I read that in Slant Magazine's review of Cars recently, and I have to agree.)
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:16 pm

Steve T Power wrote:A Bug's Life -------> Battle Beyond the Stars -----> Magnificent Seven ------> Seven Samurai.

A Fistful Of Dollars -------> Yojimbo
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:09 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:A Bug's Life -------> Battle Beyond the Stars -----> Magnificent Seven ------> Seven Samurai.

A Fistful of Dollars --------> Last Man Standing ---------> Gun Crazy: A Woman from Nowhere -----------> Lucky Number Slevin ----------> Sukiyaki Western Django ----------> Yojimbo
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby OperaGal » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:36 am

I've not seen Avatar yet, but a few friends told me that it was just like 'Dances With Wolves'.
Also someone had said it seemed to be a remake of Pocahontas.
"Jaws was never my scene - And I don't like Star Wars" ;p
OperaGal
Paralegal

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:52 am

"Airplane!" is an uncredited, yet officially acknowledged, remake of "Zero Hour!".
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:53 am

OperaGal wrote:I've not seen Avatar yet, but a few friends told me that it was just like 'Dances With Wolves'.
Also someone had said it seemed to be a remake of Pocahontas.

by damn you are right...i thought i recognized that.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Polynikes » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:47 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:John Carpenter's Assault On Precinct 13 is an unofficial remake of Rio Bravo

I see where you are coming from, and others have made this connection too, but I don't share that view. Possible SPOILER alert. Rio Bravo is not just about being under siege in a jail; there is plenty more plot and setting to the film, and the besieged jail is only part of the film, whereas in Assault on Precinct 13, the assault on the jail more or less forms the entire film, unless my memory is at fault. The circumstances are entirely different too. I am a bit too tired to think of a decent analogy, but it is like saying that Saving Private Ryan is a remake of the The Longest Day, because the D-day landings play an important part in both films. I will agree that Assault on Precinct 13 does lightly reference plot and character from Rio Bravo, but it is a long way from being an "unofficial remake".

A post like this of mine almost guarantees that someone will find a quote from John Carpenter saying that his purpose was to pay homage to Rio Bravo. I will prepare a portion of humble pie in readiness.
Polynikes
City Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:27 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:

A Fistful of Dollars --------> Last Man Standing ---------> Gun Crazy: A Woman from Nowhere -----------> Lucky Number Slevin ----------> Sukiyaki Western Django ----------> Yojimbo

I knew about Last Man Standing,so I checked it on Imdb and they credited Kurosawa and Ryûzô Kikushima, so despite the name change I wouldn't say it's unofficial. I didn't know about the others though..

And Polynikes, I haven't seen Rio Bravo ( :( ) so I can't really comment but there's more to Assault than just the police station stuff, although that does compose the major part of the film. I included it because of that Carpenter quote ;-)
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:52 am

Polynikes wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:John Carpenter's Assault On Precinct 13 is an unofficial remake of Rio Bravo

I see where you are coming from, and others have made this connection too, but I don't share that view. Possible SPOILER alert. Rio Bravo is not just about being under siege in a jail; there is plenty more plot and setting to the film, and the besieged jail is only part of the film, whereas in Assault on Precinct 13, the assault on the jail more or less forms the entire film, unless my memory is at fault. The circumstances are entirely different too. I am a bit too tired to think of a decent analogy, but it is like saying that Saving Private Ryan is a remake of the The Longest Day, because the D-day landings play an important part in both films. I will agree that Assault on Precinct 13 does lightly reference plot and character from Rio Bravo, but it is a long way from being an "unofficial remake".

A post like this of mine almost guarantees that someone will find a quote from John Carpenter saying that his purpose was to pay homage to Rio Bravo. I will prepare a portion of humble pie in readiness.

I don't have a quote, but Hawks is Carpenter's favorite director, and Assault was absolutely intended as an homage to/remake of Rio Bravo.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:57 pm

i keep thinking of all those times i am watching a film which borrows 'liberally' from another film
and hopes we don't notice. i always think that kind of thing is either lazy or arrogant.
right now i can't think of any titles - though i am sure they will come to me over time.

funny all that's coming to mind right now are tv episodes that recycle plots from movies..
ferinstance both Magnum PI and Miami Vice both tried out the whole Casablanca 'I thought you were dead and got on with my life' scenario. And how shocked was i to find that French Connection II had reused a plot from a Starsky and Hutch episode..but come to think of it...the Frankenheimer film may possibly have used the plot first. :lol:
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Mark Van Hook » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:52 pm

Mission Impossible 2 is essentially a remake of Hitchcock's Notorious.
Mark Van Hook
City Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:40 pm

amc's The Walking Dead episode 1 is 28 Days later
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby azul017 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:30 pm

molly1216 wrote:amc's The Walking Dead episode 1 is 28 Days later

The comic that Walking Dead was based on came out the same time 28 Days Later hit theaters. The creator refused to change the abandoned hospital scene, so technically it should be the other way around.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:35 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:I don't have a quote, but Hawks is Carpenter's favorite director, and Assault was absolutely intended as an homage to/remake of Rio Bravo.

Carpenter has said on any number of occasions that he owes his entire career to Rio Bravo and one could make the case that he has "re-made" it several times over.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Polynikes » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:44 pm

Fair enough. Evidently from the director's own comments Assault on Precinct 13 is more than just a slight nod towards Rio Bravo. In which case, however, I don't think he did a good job, as I really don't see a close comparison between the two films. Perhaps my recollection of Assault is too vague and I need to watch it again to see the links. (SPOILER ALERT): I was only about eight years old the first time I watched Rio Bravo, but even so, despite my lack of worldly wisdom, as soon as John Wayne suffered his first spasm and was told to get it fixed, I just knew that he would not do so and would regret it. Still, it would have mucked up the film if he had.
Polynikes
City Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:49 pm

Polynikes wrote:Fair enough. Evidently from the director's own comments Assault on Precinct 13 is more than just a slight nod towards Rio Bravo. In which case, however, I don't think he did a good job, as I really don't see a close comparison between the two films.

Carpenter didn't intend Assault on Precinct 13 to be a remake of Rio Bravo. He intended it to be an exploitation flick that was inspired by Rio Bravo. It's not a beat-for-beat copy, but it is a seige movie in which Carpenter demonstrates a clear understanding of Hawks's thematic preoccupations.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby tucco » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:48 pm

FOR THE LOVE OF BENJI is a thinly veiled attempt at remaking BIRTH OF A NATION....
You have to really be on the ball to see it though......
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Return to Movies