Unsubtle Plot Devices

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Unsubtle Plot Devices

Postby Polynikes » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:05 pm

I suspect there has been a thread on this before, but never mind. I was reminded of a cracking example in Moonraker which one of my children was watching the other night. (SPOILER ALERT, although you must be pretty sad if you can not guess the outcome of a James Bond film). In the "climactic" (ho, ho) battle scene on board the space station, there is a conveniently placed big red button that shuts off the gravity to the station, labelled with an equally convenient warning sign that reads in big letters "EMERGENCY STOP - Do not use unless station is secured". Drax might as well have said " Go on, Mr Bond, I dare you". I fell to wondering just why such a button would be incorporated into a space station and featured prominently where any passing crew member could press it. In case someone aboard suffered from space ennui and fancied a bit of floating for fun?
Polynikes
City Attorney

Re: Unsubtle Plot Devices

Postby Jim_Thomas » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:01 am

It's a tradition that goes back at least to The Bride of Frankenstein--seriously, why install a lever that will blow your laboratory up?
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:34 am

Jim_Thomas wrote:It's a tradition that goes back at least to The Bride of Frankenstein--seriously, why install a lever that will blow your laboratory up?

"why do we even HAVE that lever?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGdFiA0A_c0
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Bryan Pope » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:44 pm

molly1216 wrote:
Jim_Thomas wrote:It's a tradition that goes back at least to The Bride of Frankenstein--seriously, why install a lever that will blow your laboratory up?

That. Is. Brilliant. :)
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Future Man » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:50 pm

Even the Nostromo has one--a bit more cumbersome than others, but still.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:53 pm

Bryan Pope wrote:
molly1216 wrote:

That. Is. Brilliant. :)

Agreed. I would love to see Disney release that as a loaded Blu-ray. The greatest animated movie Chuck Jones never directed.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:03 pm

HGervais wrote:The greatest animated movie Chuck Jones never directed.

I've heard it's underrated, but... really?
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:39 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:

It is hysterical. And it has a definite Chuck Jonesian kind of vibe to it. It's subversive & irreverant in a way Disney animated movies almost never are.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:26 pm

HGervais wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

It is hysterical. And it has a definite Chuck Jonesian kind of vibe to it. It's subversive & irreverant in a way Disney animated movies almost never are.

I definitely saw a Looney Tunes energy in the clip above. Your statement still sounds a bit hyperbolic to me. Then again, I haven't seen it for myself.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:44 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:
HGervais wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

I definitely saw a Looney Tunes energy in the clip above. Your statement still sounds a bit hyperbolic to me. Then again, I haven't seen it for myself.

I don't think so. The movie has very much a Looney Tunes vibe to it and the character design is very much in the Chuck Jones mold. I'm not saying it is the greatest animated movie ever made. I'm saying if Chuck Jones' name appeared on the credits as director or Mike Maltese's name appeared as the writer, no one would be surprised. For that matter if Warner Brothers was listed as the studio no one who knows anaimation would bat an eye...as a Disney film it is very much an odd bird.
HGervais
Judge

Postby tucco » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:49 pm

The Vulcan mind-meld started out as a plot device and became an iconic feature of the Star Trek universe.
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Dimwitted » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:59 pm

HGervais wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:
HGervais wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

I don't think so. The movie has very much a Looney Tunes vibe to it and the character design is very much in the Chuck Jones mold. I'm not saying it is the greatest animated movie ever made. I'm saying if Chuck Jones' name appeared on the credits as director or Mike Maltese's name appeared as the writer, no one would be surprised. For that matter if Warner Brothers was listed as the studio no one who knows anaimation would bat an eye...as a Disney film it is very much an odd bird.

I so very much agree. I don't, as a rule, go for the Disney animated stuff, it's just too ... Disney. This one's not and I think that I will get it on BR one of these days. It's just too fun and Warburton is perfect.
Dimwitted
City Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:14 pm

HGervais wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:
HGervais wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

I must stand behind this... it is awesome, funny, and awesomely funny.

"Beware the Groove..."
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Return to Movies