movies that wouldn't get made today

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

movies that wouldn't get made today

Postby molly1216 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:25 pm

i was listening to F this movie again
and the mention of Blazing Saddles always makes me appreciate it more..
as we all know in our heart that no way anyone in Hollywoodland would greenlight this puppy today.
laughing at racism is so totally 20th century.

Soul Man with C thomas whatisname? no way no how.

some of the blatant sexual misogyny of the early 70s?
Prime Cut (1972) not ever. movies about sex trafficking yes, but you can't just rescue ONE girl you have to bring down the organization..and most of the villains have to be the ambiguous foreign brown skin type, so you can machine gun a lot of them.

Towering Inferno would be in exceedingly bad taste...besides we have to endanger the entire world not just the rich and famous...there days we'd be rooting for the fire to consume a bunch of well dressed swells partying in trump tower.

other nominations?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Re: movies that wouldn't get made today

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:01 pm

Dirty Harry would never be greenlit today...unless the Scorpio killer was turned into the agent of a fringe right-wing militia secretly run by Dick Cheney.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:Dirty Harry would never be greenlit today...unless the Scorpio killer was turned into the agent of a fringe right-wing militia secretly run by Dick Cheney.

I think that is what Michael Moore's latest documentary is about.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:13 pm

HGervais wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:Dirty Harry would never be greenlit today...unless the Scorpio killer was turned into the agent of a fringe right-wing militia secretly run by Dick Cheney.

I think that is what Michael Moore's latest documentary is about.

Sweet!
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:16 pm

I doubt MASH could get made in today's market, unless everyone admitted that they were behaving badly and joined AA at the film's end.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:06 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:I doubt MASH could get made in today's market, unless everyone admitted that they were behaving badly and joined AA at the film's end.

Also, Hawkeye, Trapper, and Duke would have to attend sensitivity training after Hot Lips files a sexual harassment complaint against them.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Mach6 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:50 pm

In a post 9/11 world, there’s no way Executive Decision would get a green light. A plot involving Arab terrorists hijacking a plane & planning a suicide crash right into Washington D.C. Forget about it. (The premiere episode of The Unit did have Arab terrorists hijacking a plane on the ground, but there’s no way it was ever going airborne.)
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby Polynikes » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:16 pm

In several British social dramas made in the 1940s and 1950s, I have seen the GP (family doctor for those not familiar with the UK health system) offering a patient a cigarette, saying that it will to "help to calm your nerves".

On a more serious note, I hope nobody would make mainstream films with what I would consider to be either gratuitous rape scenes (e.g. Straw Dogs ) or which treat rape either casually or - even worse - try to make ham-fisted humour out of it (e.g. High Plains Drifter).
Polynikes
City Attorney

Postby mavrach » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:27 pm

I've noticed that some of the most brutal movies came out of the 70's. I couldn't imagine Clockwork Orange coming out today. Taxi Driver even the Godfather movies might be too intense to come out today without being castrated into PG-13 movies.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Ash22 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:19 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:I doubt MASH could get made in today's market, unless everyone admitted that they were behaving badly and joined AA at the film's end.

Also, Hawkeye, Trapper, and Duke would have to attend sensitivity training after Hot Lips files a sexual harassment complaint against them.

Colonel Blake or General Hammond would have done nothing and just ignored Hot Lips.
" May I have ten-thousand marbles, please?" - Flounder, "Animal House"
Ash22
City Attorney

Return to Movies