Worst Sequels ever!

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Worst Sequels ever!

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:48 am

How often has this happened? You get a moderately successful flick that hits surprisingly strong or finds a life on home video, only to wind up getting a total shite sequel that is so wretched that it torpedoes the blooming franchise or otherwise tarnishes the memory of the original.

Inspired by a review I just recently finished:

Highlander II: The Quickening - They had everything! The original director was back, there was a big budget, a full blown Hollywood production that was bigger and better in every way. Somewhere along the line, no one bothered to think that the first film was so completely and utterly self contained that any attempt at a sequel would be totally pointless. It's like a sequel to Braveheart wherein William Wallace survives his disemboweling and storms London with an army of Picts!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Re: Worst Sequels ever!

Postby Gabriel Girard » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:59 am

It might not be the worst but A Nightmare On Elm Street Part 2 :Freddy's Revenge is one of the weirdest, here Freddy basically symbolizes the main character's repressed homosexual tendencies.

Freddy's Dead :The Final Nightmare stands as the nadir of that franchise. Two words: Power Glove

Batman And Robin of course, one of the worst things I've ever seen.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:13 am

The Matrix Reloaded deserves a place high on the list.
Jaws II
The French Connection II
Exorcist II
The Sting II
Conan the Destroyer
And I'll man-up now and predict that The Hobbit will be a heaping pile of unnecessary
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Bryan Pope » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:13 am

Jewel of the Nile. I thought Romancing the Stone was one of the most entertaining romantic comedies to come out of the '80s, but the followup was a lumbering, depressing picture. I think it was bad enough on its own terms, but the fact that it was a sequel to such a charming, fun movie made its mediocrity all the more disappointing.

Legally Blonde 2 suffered the same fate for the same reason.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Jim_Thomas » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:15 pm

I never thought Jaws 2 was bad, just doggedly mediocre. Jaws: The Revenge, on the other hand.

Exorcist 2, though, stunk on ice, and The Sting 2 should have been considered a crime against humanity.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:30 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:The French Connection II

Holler.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby tucco » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:12 pm

Pumpkinhead II : Bloodwings ... PUMPKINHEAD was surprisingly good morality tale/horror film with a suck ass sequel. And the original's quality was already a rarity in horror by the the late eighties when it came out......so double-foul for Bloodwings.

I've got to echo that I thought JAWS 2 was not that bad.

THE PHANTOM MENACE. I don't care if it is a prequel because of the narrative; it functions in reality as a sequel due to the fame and pedigree of the originals. (And it sux)
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:18 am

Men in Black II - I barely remember it, and that is a good thing.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Jon Mercer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:32 am

Oooooh, I LIKE this topic! I'll try to avoid moaning about horror movies, which were usually made on the cheap as a general rule to generate sure profit, and therefore sequels were unavoidable.

Bad Boys II
I realize the original was hardly considered high drama, but it was an effective action movie that helped prove to dwindling audiences that the late 80s to early 90s action mindset could still work. Yes it pretty much followed the buddy-cop playbook step by step, but it definitely had a sense of energy. Plus it took in close to 150 mIllion dollars on a less than 20 million dollar budget. The sequel on the other hand, took eight years to materialize and still managed to stumble into just about every pitfall a followup should avoid. The original director was back, the majority of the original cast was back, including the background characters, which should've given Bad Boys II the rebirth of Lethal Weapon stamp. Instead we get a 150 minute long orgy of blood and fire, action sequence segueing into action sequence with no semblance of a plot, not even a basic story to help it make any sense. Will Smith and Martin Lawerence play obnoxious cartoon sterotypes of the characters they were in the original, with Lawerence being especially obnoxious, and Smith being less Martin Riggs and more Bugs Bunny. The villains are worthless, ballooning the screentime to add nothing of value, just more irritating goofiness. The MANtastic score from the first Bad Boys is jettisoned in favor of a P-Diddy produced slurry of Hip Hop snippets. The entire last act could've been compressed into a single climactic battle and shaved down the runtime and budget considerably. Maybe I'd hate it less if I'd sit through Point Break beforehand.
Jon Mercer
County Attorney

Postby Ash22 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:17 pm

Speed 2: Cruise Control
" May I have ten-thousand marbles, please?" - Flounder, "Animal House"
Ash22
City Attorney

Postby tucco » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:12 pm

BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES......plays like a TV movie and is ridiculously bad.
Some episodes of the TV series were better than this.
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Mach6 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:30 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:The Matrix Reloaded deserves a place high on the list.

Amen. I can’t even watch the 1st Matrix anymore knowing where the story & characters went in Reloaded & the slightly better Revolutions.

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - A condescending, campy message movie about the “evils” of nuclear weapons that had horrible special effects, even by mid-80’s standards, & one of the lamest super villains of all time in Nuclear Man. Except for Hackman, the rest of the cast is going through the motions or are just plain horrible (especially Jon Cryer & Mariel Hemingway). Superman III started building the coffin for the Superman series & Part IV put the final nails into it.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - The story of trying to find The All Mighty in the universe was a promising idea, but it turned into a boring mess with way too many attempts at humor that fail miserably. The first hour was such a drag & the big payoff with “God” & the neutered Klingons was so disappointing.

X-Men: The Last Stand - I thought the 1st two X-Men movies were ok yet I was still really looking forward to see how they would end it. I wasn’t just disappointed, I was pissed off. The script was so disrespectful to most of the characters. Either they die like punks with no impact on the main story, lose their powers against their will or in Rogue’s case, willingly want the cure & miss out on the big battle & look like a whiny coward. The cringe inducing one-liners didn’t help either. The final F*** you was the ending that questioned the effectiveness of the cure.

Transformers 2: The Revenge of the Fallen - Wait a second. I thought the 1st TF sucked. Never mind.
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby mavrach » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:33 am

Robocop 3 - Somebody heard the title of the first movie and assumed it was a kids movie, so with part 3 they finally just made a kids movie.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Future Man » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:19 pm

Alien3 I've never been so disappointed at the movies except perhaps after sitting through Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby Bryan Pope » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:10 pm

Future Man wrote:Alien3 I've never been so disappointed at the movies except perhaps after sitting through Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

This is one I appreciate more each time I see it. Interestingly (to me, anyway), it's the only Alien movie my wife really enjoys.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:40 am

Bryan Pope wrote:
Future Man wrote:Alien3 I've never been so disappointed at the movies except perhaps after sitting through Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

This is one I appreciate more each time I see it. Interestingly (to me, anyway), it's the only Alien movie my wife really enjoys.

Yeah I really like Alien3 especially the workprint version. But then I also enjoy Alien: Resurrection...

Back to the topic at hand : Austin Powers in Goldmember. Now the second movie already proved the law of diminishing returns, but it's still o.k. IMHO. This third one is a mess. It's got a great opening sequence, but it's downhill from there. The only thing that makes it bearable is Beyoncé.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Dave Ryan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:40 am

16 posts in, and nobody's mentioned Dumb and Dumberer? Or Meatballs 2? Or Bad News Bears in Breaking Training? Or My Dinner With Andre 2: Andre's Prostate Trouble Is Back? Or Blues Brothers 2000? Or Saving Private Ryan Again? Or Grease 2?

(Note -- I made have made some of those up.)
"Your average Russki doesn't take a dump without a plan, son."
Dave Ryan
Judge

Postby tucco » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:05 am

Dave Ryan wrote:16 posts in, and nobody's mentioned Dumb and Dumberer? Or Meatballs 2? Or Bad News Bears in Breaking Training? Or My Dinner With Andre 2: Andre's Prostate Trouble Is Back? Or Blues Brothers 2000? Or Saving Private Ryan Again? Or Grease 2?

(Note -- I made have made some of those up.)

Wow.....MEATBALLS 2 may take the cake....
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:24 pm

Dave Ryan wrote:My Dinner With Andre 2: Andre's Prostate Trouble Is Back

Dave, you missed a perfect opportunity for My Dinner with Andre 2: Just Desserts. Or My Dinner with Andre 2: The Second Course. Or My Dinner with Andre 2: Mouths Closed!
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Dave Ryan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:
Dave Ryan wrote:My Dinner With Andre 2: Andre's Prostate Trouble Is Back

Dave, you missed a perfect opportunity for My Dinner with Andre 2: Just Desserts. Or My Dinner with Andre 2: The Second Course. Or My Dinner with Andre 2: Mouths Closed!

Oh, there were certainly plenty of better puns.... but the problem is, the ones you suggest? They're movies I might actually want to see.

Admit it -- if My Dinner With Andre 2: No, I DON'T F--king See Your Point, Wallace! showed up in your program guide, you wouldn't at least be mildly curious?

But Andre talking about his prostate.... nope. That's a pass.
"Your average Russki doesn't take a dump without a plan, son."
Dave Ryan
Judge

Postby OperaGal » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:40 pm

Ha, anyone ever see Lawnmower Man 2? :shock:
Oh so pains me to admit watching that one in the theatre...(I still want a refund)

Teen Wolf Too - ack.

Superman 3
Superman 4

Both movies are bad, but at least Richard Pryor added some comic relief to 3.

Grease 2- recall watching about halfway thru, then rewound it and sent it on back to the rental store.

Batman Forever - *shudders* (I'll have to take everyone's word on Batman and Robin)

;-)
"Jaws was never my scene - And I don't like Star Wars"
*My DVD Collection*
OperaGal
Paralegal

Postby jcankerhuxley » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Caddyshack II - What a stinker. The best thing about this movie was, dare I say it, the cameos from Chevy Chase.

Big Top Pee Wee was pretty disappointing too.
[B]uying DVD's is cheaper then spending my money on booze, drugs & hookers -- Harold Gervais
jcankerhuxley
City Attorney

Postby ckulik » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:20 pm

Weekend At Bernie's II, The Crow: City Of Angels, and Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights would be my votes.
ckulik
Law Clerk

Postby Mach6 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:22 pm

After all this time & posts, I’m more shocked that nobody has mentioned Spiderman 3 yet. I’ll never forgive Raimi for completely screwing up Venom & Spiderman’s “I Forgive You” speech to The Sandman. There was no way I was going to see Spiderman 4 with this cast

Rush Hour 2 - I got conned into seeing this abortion at the theater. What's worse: Waterboarding or Chris Tucker’s Performance?

Critters 2: The Main Course - The first one was a fun Gremlins ripoff that, like Highlander, was a moderate success. Unlike Highlander, it clearly sets it self up for a sequel with the Critter eggs at the ending. The sequel was a cheap, lame cash grab with inferior effects to the original & the script’s only new idea was for the critters to combine into this big critter ball that looked cheesy as hell. The worst part is the alien bounty hunters (who were my favorite part in the 1st one) are barely in it. Lame, lame, lame, etc.
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby Attrage » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:34 pm

If we can also include not just Part 2's but beyond, I reckon Nightmare on Elm Street 5 and 6 have gotta rank as some of the worst ever. For Halloween last year I decided to re-watch all the Nightmares, from the original to New Nightmare and then the recent remake. I'd forgotten how truly painful Parts 5 and 6 are to sit through.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby stypee » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:52 am

Now wait a second... I like Meatballs Part 2, leave that one alone... That alien rocked the casbah!

I'll be thinking of my list of the worst - its gonna take awhile and I'm sure you are all waiting in anticipation cause' thats how I roll.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Return to Movies