Depp to play Tonto?

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Depp to play Tonto?

Postby molly1216 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:33 am

huh? i can't imagine who he could possibly be second banana to?
though i love a good horse opera, I hope this is just a rumor.

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/film/jo ... one-ranger
Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinski is bringing The Lone Ranger back to the big screen.
Johnny Depp - Captain Jack Sparrow in the Pirates franchise - will play the masked man's Indian sidekick Tonto.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Re: Depp to play Tonto?

Postby cdouglas » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:07 am

I read a story a while back about Clooney playing the title character, but I don't know if he's still attached...
cdouglas
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:18 am

cdouglas wrote:I read a story a while back about Clooney playing the title character, but I don't know if he's still attached...

oh that makes me feel so much better... he can do what he did for batman.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby tucco » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:55 am

This is not a dig....but...BOTH men are too old to play these roles....Depp pushing 50? Come on now..
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:30 am

i want ...Adam Beach and Josh Hartnett.....<swoon>
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:50 pm

DISNEY PULLS THE BREAK ON "LONE RANGER" PROJECT JUST MONTHS BEFORE PRODUCTION WAS TO START: http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/shocker-disney-scraps-johnny-depps-lone-ranger/. The huge budget (over $200 million), many gross participants (Depp, Verbinsky, Bruckheimer) and Disney's many other nine-digit blockbusters in the pipeline just gave the studio cold feet about this one. Either that or someone at Disney saw the box office take for "Cowboys and Aliens." :?
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:40 pm

Brake.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:20 am

A budget of 275 million for The Lone Ranger? Really??? A Western?

Last time I checked people were shooting westerns for under 10 million... It just doesn't make any sense.

I've got to hand it to them though - killing a Depp/Verbinski joint and letting John Carter of Mars out of the gate takes a lot of balls. I think it looks gobsmackingly astounding, but I smell another middling performer.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby azul017 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Steve T Power wrote:A budget of 275 million for The Lone Ranger? Really??? A Western?

Last time I checked people were shooting westerns for under 10 million... It just doesn't make any sense.

I've got to hand it to them though - killing a Depp/Verbinski joint and letting John Carter of Mars out of the gate takes a lot of balls. I think it looks gobsmackingly astounding, but I smell another middling performer.

I can see a Verbinski/Depp Lone Ranger going into the $100M range, just on the pay Depp, Bruckheimer and Verbinski demand alone. But $200M for a Western, that's way too much. I don't care if it's the trifecta that made money with the Pirates franchise, both Disney and the filmmakers should've looked at this as a double-digit movie from the get go. Frankly, I'm glad they're putting a stopper on this and retooling it for a lower budget.

Looks like Bruckheimer's ways are going the way of the dinosaur. Studios are being more cost-conscious -- movies with good scripts, sensible budgeting and smart marketing are what draw people in.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Dan Mancini » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:10 pm

I guess this means we'll all be robbed of the spectacle of Depp playing Tonto like Boris Karloff on mescaline or whatever quirky-yet-overreaching interpretation he'd have come up with.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:51 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:I guess this means we'll all be robbed of the spectacle of Depp playing Tonto like Boris Karloff on mescaline or whatever quirky-yet-overreaching interpretation he'd have come up with.

You say that like its a negative. Personally I'd pay double to see that.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby JoshRode » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:10 am

HGervais wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:I guess this means we'll all be robbed of the spectacle of Depp playing Tonto like Boris Karloff on mescaline or whatever quirky-yet-overreaching interpretation he'd have come up with.

Is Depp even part American Indian? If not, what we're really missing out on is the firestorm of outrage from a non-American Indian playing Tonto.

You know it would happen.
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
JoshRode
City Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:56 am

HGervais wrote:

Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:40 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:DISNEY PULLS THE BREAK ON "LONE RANGER" PROJECT JUST MONTHS BEFORE PRODUCTION WAS TO START: http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/shocker-disney-scraps-johnny-depps-lone-ranger/. The huge budget (over $200 million), many gross participants (Depp, Verbinsky, Bruckheimer) and Disney's many other nine-digit blockbusters in the pipeline just gave the studio cold feet about this one. Either that or someone at Disney saw the box office take for "Cowboys and Aliens." :?

A blessing in disguise. I'm still trying to forget the Klinton Spilsbury version. :evil:
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby MyJuliet » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:08 pm

Looks like Bruckheimer's way, way of the dinosaur. Studios are more cost-conscious - a good script of the film, a reasonable budget and smart marketing is to attract people in.
MyJuliet
Law Clerk

Return to Movies