All I Want for Xmas is my DECEMBER Watching Thread!

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Re: All I Want for Xmas is my DECEMBER Watching Thread!

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 am

The Black Cat (1941) - A fun little murder mystery/comedy that has nothing to do with Edgar Allen Poe's short story (despite the opening credits suggesting otherwise). Excellent cinematography, some nice comic touches (even if Hugh Herbert goes a bit far in the film), and Bela Lugosi in a nice, quirky little role make for a pleasent viewing experience.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby azul017 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:20 pm

Love and Other Drugs -- I feel with the many tonal shifts in this film, that Edward Zwick should've pitched this as an HBO or Showtime TV series to give the secondary characters (Hank Azaria, Josh Gad, Oliver Platt) room to breathe. Still, even with the tonal shifts, I still liked it just for Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway's performances.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:38 pm

almost finished the pacific series...oy vey..that was like watching the D Day invasion every night..how horrific.
it was heartbreaking.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:21 am

True Grit - Wow, where to start. Amazing performances from Bridges, Damon, Brolin, and Barry Pepper, but the real standout was Hailee Steinfeld. This is Mattie Ross' story, and my God, is it ever a story! Like Deadwood, it doesn't really fit with typical Western genre conventions other than that there are guns and horses. Deakins' cinematography is it's typically beautiful, and Carter Burwell's music is touching and works beautifully. Honesty, you don't see many pictures this beautifully made.

I'd call it an amalgamation of the Coen's earlier work (think: Miller's Crossing) and the recent material in terms of tone and execution, it's really the very best of both worlds. While I hesitate to jump up on my soapbox and declare it the best film of their illustrious career, I really, REALLY want to. Best film of 2010 by far, and like The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, one of the best film's of the decade.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:20 am

Go West (1940) - aside from the typical period era racism, this is a solid entery from the later Marx Brothers' films. The film actually managing to find a decent balance between the brothers acting in a semi-heroic fashion while still allowing them to act as criminally inclined mad men with more than a healthy interest in sex. Of particular note is the climax set aboard a moving train: surprisingly epic. Of course, it was a classic era MGM production, so I shouldn't be that surprised.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:42 am

The Lion King - This is one of my favorites, despite that fact that Disney movies typically do nothing for me. Hanz Zimmer's score makes this movie, and seperates it from what could be a much lesser movie, and gives it an epic quality in the end.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby hoytereden » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:38 am

Laurel & Hardy's Big Business-The boys are selling Christmas trees in this silent short. One of the all-time classic battles begins when they get to James Finlayson's house. Funny, funny stuff. :lol:
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Christmas feasting:
Badder Santa
Ice Harvest
Long Kiss Goodnight

From deep in my netflix queue
Target Earth SE ( w/commentary) this WOULD be a good movie to remake if this guy ever lets go of the property
The Plague of Zombies..fell alseep though...i find a lot of the Hammer films draggy

from the Warner Archive
Blondie Johnson (1933) terrific crime slash something..crime comedy? crime romance? anyway it was swell
Heat Lightning (1934) - awesome Petrified Forest -ish play turned film..
I am looking for recommendations for other films like these two...at warner's prices I can't go ordering in the dark all the films i want to check out.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Future Man » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:13 pm

Steve T Power wrote:True Grit - Wow, where to start. Amazing performances from Bridges, Damon, Brolin, and Barry Pepper, but the real standout was Hailee Steinfeld. This is Mattie Ross' story, and my God, is it ever a story! Like Deadwood, it doesn't really fit with typical Western genre conventions other than that there are guns and horses. Deakins' cinematography is it's typically beautiful, and Carter Burwell's music is touching and works beautifully. Honesty, you don't see many pictures this beautifully made.

I'd call it an amalgamation of the Coen's earlier work (think: Miller's Crossing) and the recent material in terms of tone and execution, it's really the very best of both worlds. While I hesitate to jump up on my soapbox and declare it the best film of their illustrious career, I really, REALLY want to. Best film of 2010 by far, and like The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, one of the best film's of the decade.

I will only add that it nailed its source material like no other movie adaptation of a novel I can remember.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby BenShultz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:25 am

Future Man wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:True Grit - Wow, where to start. Amazing performances from Bridges, Damon, Brolin, and Barry Pepper, but the real standout was Hailee Steinfeld. This is Mattie Ross' story, and my God, is it ever a story! Like Deadwood, it doesn't really fit with typical Western genre conventions other than that there are guns and horses. Deakins' cinematography is it's typically beautiful, and Carter Burwell's music is touching and works beautifully. Honesty, you don't see many pictures this beautifully made.

I will only add that it nailed its source material like no other movie adaptation of a novel I can remember.

I'd say it nailed it like No Country for Old Men.
Oh, you're paying way too much for worms, man. Who's your worm guy?
BenShultz
City Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:54 am

The New World - Terrance Malik's dreamlike telling of the Pocahontas story remains a pretty poetic and captivating experience, and God does it ever look nice on Blu-Ray!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:59 pm

Alfred Hitchcock's PSYCHO (1960) on Blu-ray. This is only the third time I've seen the movie but, since it's been several years since I saw it last (on VHS to boot), watching it again in high-def blew my mind and not just because of John Russell's tight B&W photography. Yes, the exposition-spewing psychiatrist at the end really blows (though it cracked me up that Lila Crane takes the news that her sister is dead so well) but that final scene with Mrs. Bates' voice-over is just ice-cold chilly AND FUNNY! This is what stood out for me watching "Psycho" again: the gallows humor. The movie's first 25 minutes are just one disaster after another (man-made as well as forced by nature) forcing Marion's guilt-ridden fugitive (Janet Leigh) into the unsuspecting arms of Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins). Hitch dispatching our leading lady when she's made the decision to turn her life around... with just 15 minutes left between her and safety... just WOW! BTW, are the voices that Marion hears as she's driving (the cop talking to the car dealer, the boss talking to the secretary, etc.) figments of her paranoid imagination or actual conversations taking place? I know Hitch intended these inner-voices to be both real and imagined (per the movie's bonus features) but for me the movie works better if these are imagined conversations. Regardless, Bernard Herrman's score is flat-out incredible (though I admit to personally liking the rip-off score from "Re-Animator" a little bit better) and Saul Bass' opening titles/little visual tricks enhance the nightmare-happening-in-reality feel. Like "The Usual Suspects" this is a movie that is still fun to watch despite everyone knowing THE SCENE from overexposure in pop culture lore, done back when blood evidence could be wiped away with a bucket & mop and DNA were just three randomly put-together alphabet letters.

LISA LAMPANELLI: THE QUEEN OF MEAN (2002) on Netflix Instant Watch for the first time. I'd never seen Lisa outside her late night stand-up appearances and Comedy Central roasts (where she always killed despite the handicap of bleeps and censorship). Watching this uncensored Lisa stand-up performance from 2002 with friends & relatives on Christmas Eve (the first thing I've ever watched on Netflix Instant Watch via my sister's account) I realized a little bit of Lampanelli goes a long way. Though it's refreshing to see politically incorrect humor Lisa has been riding the 'I date black men' and 'aren't I shocking?' schticks for way too long (I heard jokes in this 2002 stand-up I've heard her repeat recently). Just calling people in the audience 'Jew' or 'Black Guy' isn't funny anymore (hasn't really been since Don Rickles made insult humor his calling card) but, if you're in a forgiving mood, Lisa is one loud and funny broad. ;-)

Rewatched David Cronenberg's A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE (2005) on Blu-ray with the director's commentary track on. I didn't like this the first time I saw it. Cronenberg's commentary has almost single-handedly convinced me that I saw the movie with the wrong perspective clouding my initial judgement. Since the publicity and regular movie descriptions gave away that Tom Stall has a violent side to his seemingly mild-mannered personality I already knew what was coming; Cronenberg makes it clear in the commentary he intended the movie to be seen without the audience knowing that Tom had a hidden side. I didn't see the movie as the duel of personalities between Joey and Tom, or appreciated the subtle acting nods that Viggo made to distinguish one personality from the other. And the slow-burn, irony-free way 80% of the movie unfolds didn't prepare me for the John Hurt hurricane that his hilarious Richie character turns out to be. I still have issues with the movie (Ashton Holmes' mopey portrayal of bullied son Jack in particular) but it went from being on my 'to be traded' pile into the must-keep one despite being an underwhelming-looking high-def disc.

MARLEY & ME (2008) on Blu-ray for the first time. Funny that, for a movie about a dog, the only thing I remember about this flick is Alan Arkin making me laugh hysterically with his deadpan Florida newspaper character. Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston (with an inexplicably top-tier billed Kathleen Turner for what amounts to a minute-long cameo) essentially disappear into a forgettable rump about troubled professionals (i.e. whiny yuppies) on an upward career/family trajectory they don't seem to appreciate. In between their domestic and familial squabbles stunt dogs get into mischief and, at the end, you're supposed to care about any of them (human or animal). There's a throwaway scene in the middle of the movie when Owen attends to a female neighbor he hadn't bothered to meet for years that had just been victimized. Maybe if Owen's character had bothered to befriend this neighbor (instead of dragging Jennifer and their kids to a safer neighborhood) I would have liked or given a damn about these self-centered bastards. Also, like "A History of Violence," the high-def transfer on this Fox BD is shy of being barely worth the price premium (even though I got the three-disc BD set for ten bucks).

Rewatched Neill Blomkamp's DISTRICT 9 (2009) on Blu-ray with the director's commentary track on. This is such a self-assured and well-done potpourri of a motion picture (mock documentary, balls-to-the-wall action. social critique, etc.) it's easy to forget this is Blomkamp's first feature-length movie. And, as good as the special effects and Sharlto Copley's lead-performance are, David James steals the movie as bad-ass mercenary Koobus.

KEVIN HART: SERIOUSLY FUNNY (2010) on Netflix Instant Watch for the first time. What Kevin lacks in stand-up skills (he talks way too fast and is often impossible to follow the set-ups) or originality (the 'married with children' schtick has been mined to death) he more than makes-up with split-second timing and facial gestures/mannerisms that are hilarious. His 'peeping Grandpa' segment is a gut-buster (as is making fun of Shaq and LeBron James to their faces) but Kevin is better off sticking to the Hollywood paycheck roles that make him a recognizable 'that guy looks familiar' face.

David Fincher's THE SOCIAL NETWORK (2010) in theaters for the first time. Saw this Christmas Day in a packed NYC theater and loved it. Great casting (Garfield and Eisenberg particularly), Sorkin's quirky/rapid-pace dialogue is always a delight to hear (especially when uttered by Rooney Mara) and the mature Fincher's tendency to let his movies feel conventional (while showing themselves to be anything but on repeat viewing) didn't prepare me for how engaging and interesting a movie than can be described in a couple of sentences could be. The seemingly-convenient device of using depositions to tell the characters' stories (which isn't about Facebook as much as the life-altering friendships, betrayals and decisions young people make that they carry with them for the rest of their lives) is brilliant because it allows us to witness within the span of the 121 min. running time what the young kids we're watching grew up to become. I knew of Fincher's penchant for 'invisible' SFX shots and I thought I spotted a couple (background plates in Harvard campus, the Thames rowing scenes, etc.) but I had no idea Armie Hammer played both Winklevoss twins. Holy s***, I was completely fooled and had no idea Hammer was pulling a double-role until I read about it afterwards. That's the highest complement I can pay to the SFX shots of the movie. I could relate to the somewhat-fictitious Zuckerberg's subtle (unconscious?) efforts to isolate himself emotionally from the characters that showed him true affection. The movie's final scene isn't as emotionally powerful as "City Lights" or any other film in which a lonely person pines for an impossible loved one's affection, but for a generation reared on "Transformers" CGI blockbusters it might as well be.

Sylvain Chomet's THE ILLUSIONIST (2010) in theaters for the first time. "The Illusionist" takes a running thread of the Hulot movies (a young woman with whom Hulot develops a kinship that borders on, but never fully blossoms into, true love), expands on it and then wraps it around a 'what if' scenario (Tati never becoming a filmmaker and continuing his stage act into has-been status) that is both magical, occasionally funny but also brutally depressing toward the end. The movie's last 10-15 minutes skew humor for the type of heartbreaking pathos that the live-action Hulot movies only hinted at. As a relative newcomer to Jacques Tati that saw and loved all his movies this year (starting with "Mr. Hulot's Holiday" in May) I'm amazed an animated movie with such narrow appeal would even be made. It might connect with new viewers unfamiliar with the Hulot character or Tati's personal life (for whom this will feel like the most depressing and existentialist animated feature since "Grave of the Fireflies") but they'll miss the movie's true worth. The more familiar you are with the character/person behind the animated drawings the more you'll get out of this. "The Illusionist" looks gorgeous (a lot of it invisible CG but mostly hand-drawn) and yes, it allows Tati fans a chance to experience the Hulot-like antics one more time in animated form (and without the super-deformed style that characterized Chomet's "The Triplets of Belleville"). Chomet wisely keeps the animated Tati tricks within the realm of human possibility (no exploding cigars or "Pink Panther"-type antics) which, like the Hulot movies, results in a steady trickle of small laughs. The rock musicians gag (stay tuned until after the credits for this and similar gags to pay off) was my favorite. For Tati enthusiasts (or fans of Chaplin's "Limelight," which "The Illusionist" often resembles).

Sofia Coppola's SOMEWHERE (2010) in theaters for the first time. Sofia is quickly becoming the most well-known and publicized director of a cinematic genre with little-to-no commercial appeal whatsoever (unless you get Bill Murray to star and give career-best work). Even if "Somewhere" didn't work for me as a whole movie (the ending cold-cocked me, the opposite of the knock-out opening scene even though both feature basically the same actor/prop doing similar things), there are many scenes that are quietly powerful and add-up. A mesmerizing zoom-in during Johnny's prosthetic make-up session and its equivalent bookend zoom-out when Johnny and Cleo are sunbathing by the pool (the latter landing on the movie's poster) stand out. Though not autobiographical you can tell Sofia is using personal observations of her life inside the showbiz bubble to feed the movie's believable moments; the midnight ice cream sampling while watching a "Friends" rerun dubbed in Italian (and the awkward morning-after breakfast between Johnny, Cleo and an Italian actress) is the type of perfectly-executed scene that didn't feel forced. Sofia's editing rhythm and decision to let scenes breathe far longer than they would in a normal movie (like an ice dancing scene establishing both the intimacy of Johnny's relationship with his daughter as well as Cleo's normalcy) give Johnny's chaotic slice-of-life vignettes the poignancy of both a normal life lived but also wasted. Ironically the movie's final scenes, to me, undermine the simplicity of the movie that preceded them. As good as Dorff is he doesn't sell his emotional breakdown well-enough to make me buy what he does at the end. Little Elle Fanning (whose breakdown while being driven to summer camp I completely bought) could actually score an Academy Award nomination from her portrayal of Cleo, she's that good and convincing as a showbiz daughter that (against the odds as portrayed in this movie) retains her normalcy and wits about herself. Not as good as "Lost In Translation" but definitely made from the same sturdy template.
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:50 pm

Green Zone I can only agree with Adam Arseneaul's review. The film has a ''been there done that'' feel to it but it's still a pretty solid action flick with a great Blu-Ray presentation.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:34 am

Dr. Renault's Secret (1942) - Surprisingly effective riff on the Island of Dr. Moreau story. The direction is solid, the cinematography atmospheric, and J. Carrol Naish is impressive in the role of Noel. At 58 minutes however, the film feels more like an Outer Limits episode more than a film, though that is a minor complaint. More of an issue is the dull protagonist LArry Forbes, which leaves actor Jonh Shepperd with nothing to really work with, who gets nothing to work with, as well as an unintentionally hilarious scene in which Forbes finds Renault's notes, and finds a "my family vacation" style of photographs explaining Renault's experiments. Still, minor flaws overall.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Suicide Club (2001) - What promised to be a good mix of detective story, social commentary and horror fails due to the story not making any sense at all. It's still worth a look but not much of a keeper...
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Future Man » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:30 pm

Road Games
Couple of very suspenseful, Hitchcockian moments but too many odd shifts toward broad comedy (what's with the trailered boat scene?) and weirdly cheerful musical choices. Stacey Keach (sp) turns in a fine performance.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby kristy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:38 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:The Seventh Seal. So, so good.

I too like it.
kristy
Law Clerk

Postby Polynikes » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:37 pm

I have the rare luxury of a few days off work, so after the children have gone to bed, I have managed to sneak in two classics.

1. All Quiet on the Western Front. Astonishing to think this was made in 1930. Gripping. Despite several attempts to see it, I had never been able to watch this before from beginning to end without being interrupted by someone or something, so it was a real treat.

2. Doctor Zhivago. A rare example of a film being better than the original book. In this case, at least ten times better.

I am sure both of these films have been discussed almost ad infinitum, but just in case anyone has never seen them, I urge you to do so. They are on many people's "favourites" list and I have never met anyone who does not at least find them at the very least watchable!
Polynikes
City Attorney

Postby Future Man » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:20 pm

Polynikes wrote:
2. Doctor Zhivago. A rare example of a film being better than the original book. In this case, at least ten times better.

I watched this for the first time recently, on Blu-ray, and while it is staggeringly beautiful to the eye and ear, I was taken aback by the title character's disloyalty to his wife - how, after all, is the audience supposed to feel about him considering the way he treats her? It was hard for me to get swept away so to speak by the central romance.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby Polynikes » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:18 am

SPOILER ALERT (although surely everyone knows the plot of Doctor Zhivago?!)

Polynikes wrote:

Future Man wrote
I watched this for the first time recently, on Blu-ray, and while it is staggeringly beautiful to the eye and ear, I was taken aback by the title character's disloyalty to his wife - how, after all, is the audience supposed to feel about him considering the way he treats her? It was hard for me to get swept away so to speak by the central romance.

I agree, and it is interesting you make this point. That is exactly how I felt about the film, and that is why I think it is far better than the book. Had it just been a film about a doomed romance, it would have been forgettable run of the mill fodder. The cinematography and music are the factors which make this a great film. It also has wonderful actors (Alec Guinness in fine form as ever, Tom Courtenay and Ralph Richardson) in supporting roles which helps!
Polynikes
City Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:28 am

winter's bone - well that was just spectacular.

river monsters S2 - can do without the posturing but when he hooks up an old one, it's an awesome sight
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby ccb » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:02 am

Finished off year with Jimmy Cagney, Joan Blondell, Ruby Keeler, Dick Powell in Footlight Parade. More plot than the other musicals in the Busby Berkeley collection - Cagney faces gold digging wife, gold digging girl friend, cheating partners, business espionage while making his musicals. Film ends with three (count 'em three) insane Busby Berkeley numbers.
When I find myself in times of trouble, I say 'boy, you gotta carry that weight.' I am he, you are he, you are me, we are all together, speaking words of wisdom. Come together, right now. Amen.
ccb
City Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:04 pm

he last thing i saw was The Book of Eli - which had a good cast, a good production, unfortunately the most predictable script.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:26 pm

Last thing I watched before the end of the year was Chandu The Magician. Excellent little radio adaptation. I do believe that in the special features though that everyone is a little too hard on Edmund Lowe's performance. Yes, he isn't the greatest in the lead role, but he was solid enough, and at least seemed to be having fun in the role. Still, I would be interested to see the serial follow up with Lugosi as Chandu instead.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Previous

Return to Movies