White Supremacists Call for Boycott of Thor

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

White Supremacists Call for Boycott of Thor

Postby Jim_Thomas » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:49 am

A US white supremacist group has called for a boycott of the Kenneth Branagh-directed superhero movie Thor on the grounds that a black actor has been cast in the role of a Norse god.

You can't make sh!t like this up, people.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/dec/17/white-supremacists-boycott-thor

The article is totally worth it for no other reason than this pic of Idris Elba, the transgressor in question:

Jim_Thomas
Judge

Re: White Supremacists Call for Boycott of Thor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:54 am

(Reads article)

(Bangs head against desk)

Really!? This is just absolutely sickening. The film scores a major A-list actor in Idris Elba, and a___holes like this start setting up websites to boycott. The only downside to Idris Elba's casting is that it makes it unlikely for him to score the role as the Black Panther when that character comes up for adaptation!

EDIT: And that photo is amazing!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:50 am

Breaking news: White Supremacists are a**holes!
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Dunnyman » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:55 pm

Of all the things you might slam the film for, these idiots come up with THIS? Sorry, I just can't picture Branagh sitting there thinking "Well, we definitely need a black guy in here, to show that we're very left wing, is Snipes available? he's not? Damn, just get me a black guy, STAT!" Somehow, I think Branagh was more along the lines of "This guy is talented indeed, does drama, comedy, whatever, all very well, and can likely handle the dialogue as well as the action".
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:16 pm

In a way I do understand it though. The people who created the mythology are white and it from a time before people were as mobile as they are now. Somehow it seems wrong to me to cast it. Kind of like having white people playing Japanese soldiers in WW2 films or something. It's just not accurate.

Actually it reminds me of Spike Lee wanting Clint Eastwood to add black people to the Iwo Jima story so it would be less racist.

That said I don't actually feel anyone should care, much less get so upset. I worry about people who have nothing better to do than think of ways to fill their lives with hate. Be it Spike Lee or David Duke.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:38 pm

but they said NOT ONE DAMN THING about all those years where Thor and company were little grey guys!
wait a minutes.....why do we care wtf neonazi's think again?
just checking
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:35 pm

It's all about the actor....I saw a bootleg videotape years ago of James Earl Jones playing Big Daddy in a stage production of Cat On a Hot Tin Roof and he was amazing. Now Big Daddy on the page is about as white as you can get but with Jones I was just watching a great actor bringing to life a great role. I could give two craps about his skin color. Moving to Thor we talking about mythological gods in a fantasy comicbook movie, so yes, insert racist reflex reactions.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:32 am

skin color is meaningless.
but lets get right down to it.....

speaking from the ovaried side of the room
when i think of Gods... Norse, Greek or otherwise
they tend to look a lot like this

yummmyyy....
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:25 am

Just asking a question here. If skin color doesn't matter then does gender matter? What if they had cast Judi Dench in the role? She's an excellent actor, no question of that.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:37 am

I don't know...the criteria may be a little more narrow because gender is a more fundamental thing but Helen Mirren is starring right now as Prospero which was written as male in the film version of The Tempest. The role of Salt was concieved and written for Tom Criuse before Angelina Jolie stepped in. John Waters cast Devine as a woman in many in quite a few of his films. I think it boils down to, what does that actor or actress bring to the role? If that particular actor brings what the writer/director sees in the role I don't know why race or gender should be a factor. It all boils down to people just needing to be more open minded about what they are watching and about what is possible. To look more at the performance and less at the performer.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:51 pm

Perhaps but I do see it as a slippery slope. You could take it further and then cast Alan Alda to play the little girl in Nut Cracker because he's talented or recast roots with an mixed cast of slaves many of whom are white and asian.

An actor needs to play a character, not a genderless, raceless blob of pure acting talent. If the actor doesn't fit the character then the play is weakened. Sure some actors are good enough to make it passable but an equal actor who does fit the role would always be the best choice.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby pcp » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:35 am

As Harold said, it's about what's fundamental to the character.

For Heimdall, in this specific case, all that matters is that he is the guardian of the bridge and has certain abilities. He stays the same whether his skin colour is white, black, or purple.

But skin colour obviously does matter when it comes to real world topics. So yeah, the slaves in Roots really do need to be black.
pcp
Law Clerk

Return to Movies