Missing 17 minutes from Kubrick's "2001" found...

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Missing 17 minutes from Kubrick's "2001" found...

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:39 am

... where else, in a salt mine in Kansas: http://blastr.com/2010/12/-17-lost-minutes-of-2001.php. It's probably too late for this to make it into the "2001" versions that will be re-packaged with the new high-def transfers of "Lolita" and "Barry Lyndon" in 2011, but you know a double-dip with this extra footage will eventually make it to DVD/BD. Christine Kubrick wouldn't have it any other way. ;-) :(
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Re: Missing 17 minutes from Kubrick's "2001" found...

Postby Burson_Fouch » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:16 pm

Wow, I know there are some who find 2001 an awful bore at it's current running time, but for the enlightened followers of Kubrick this is indeed good news. Hopefully plans are being made for a fully restored version.

First the missing footage from Metropolis is found and now this. I wonder what's next:

The original negative and outakes for The Wicker Man

The lost footage from The Magnificent Ambersons

Any footage at all from London after Midnight
We intend to destroy all dogmatic verbal systems
W.S. Burroughs
Burson_Fouch
City Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:49 pm

Burson_Fouch wrote:Wow, I know there are some who find 2001 an awful bore at it's current running time, but for the enlightened followers of Kubrick this is indeed good news. Hopefully plans are being made for a fully restored version.

First the missing footage from Metropolis is found and now this. I wonder what's next:

The original negative and outakes for The Wicker Man

The lost footage from The Magnificent Ambersons

Any footage at all from London after Midnight

Plus the original cut of Greed, the four Warner Oland Charlie Chans, the original version of Tarzan Escapes, and cut scenes from various pre-code films like The Most Dangerous Game, Public Enemy, Horse Feathers, etc. The Spider Pit sequence from King Kong and a pre-code film that was destroyed rather than censored-Convention City, Laurel and Hardy's Hats Off and The Rogue Song. The list goes on and on---and on ---and......
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Jim_Thomas » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:34 pm

Burson_Fouch wrote:Wow, I know there are some who find 2001 an awful bore at it's current running time, but for the enlightened followers of Kubrick this is indeed good news. Hopefully plans are being made for a fully restored version.

Looks like it's not gonna happen:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/12/its-official-warner-bros-has-no-plans-for-deleted-2001-a-space-odyssey-vault-footage/

In a statement e-mailed to Wired.com Monday following last week’s rash of speculation on the web about the fate of the footage, Warner Home Video said, “Additional footage from 2001: A Space Odyssey has always existed in the Warner vaults. When Mr. Kubrick trimmed the 17 minutes from 2001 after the New York premiere, he made it clear the shortened version was his final edit. The film is as he wanted it to be presented and preserved and Warner Home Video has no plans to expand or revise Mr. Kubrick’s vision.”
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby Boba Fett » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:42 pm

Yeah, Ebert chimed in stating he saw the pre-cut version and there were many redundant scenes. Glad Warner didn't try and think they were a better editor than Kubrick.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:31 pm

I'd still like to see it just to know what it consists of. Just curious.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Boba Fett » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:06 pm

Wow, sounds like riveting stuff:

In December, 2010, Douglas Trumbull announced that Warner Brothers had located 17 minutes of lost footage, "perfectly preserved", from a Kansas salt mine vault. Included are scenes of:

Additional footage of the "Dawn of Man" sequence.
Dave Bowman searching for a replacement antenna part in storage.
HAL severing radio communication between the "Discovery" and Frank Poole's pod.
Poole's space walk before he is killed.
"I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there."
Boba Fett
County Attorney

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:16 pm

What, they didn't find the bushbaby sequence?
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Return to Movies