Scorsese, DeNiro, Pesci, Pacino and Keitel together...

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Scorsese, DeNiro, Pesci, Pacino and Keitel together...

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:45 am

... for "THE IRISHMAN": http://www.avclub.com/articles/martin-scorsese-robert-de-niro-joe-pesci-and-al-pa,49132/ and http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/harvey_keitel_also_on_board_martin_scorseses_the_irishman_with_de_niro_paci/ (confirming Keitel's involvement in the project).

Holy s***, this could be the last great movie all these living legends ever get together to do! Scorsese has been hit-and-miss lately but with such a cast of bad-asses on board (and Steve Zaillian script-tweaking), how can this miss? :D Then again, copies of "Righteous Kill" stare at me from the bargain bin every time I go to Best Buy, so... :o
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Re: Scorsese, DeNiro, Pesci, Pacino and Keitel together...

Postby yellow ledbetter » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:49 pm

This sounds awesome beyond words
yellow ledbetter
Paralegal

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:17 am

Dump DeNiro and Pesci and bring in Ray Winstone and... i dunno, Paul Giamatti? And I would be on board. I find DeNiro utterly detestable, and Pesci is a cartoon character.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:31 am

If I had to bet my paycheck, I'd say The Irishman will be better on paper than it is in execution.

Scorsese is still capable of making very good films, but he's well past his prime. Shutter Island, for instance, is a decent enough flick that flirts with greatness, but disintegrates into cliched flashbacks and conventional twists in its final act. Ten or 15 years ago, Scorsese would have been more sure-footed and original.

He never makes bad movies, but he hasn't made a truly great narrative film since Bringing Out the Dead, and that was over a decade ago.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Return to Movies