January WATCHING Thread of Catching-Up!

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Re: January WATCHING Thread of Catching-Up!

Postby HGervais » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:23 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:Dance Of The Vampires(A.K.A The Fearless Vampire Killers) - I feel as tough this one is often forgotten when talking about parodies or Polanski. A precursor to Young Frankenstein, it wants to be both a Hammer horror film and its parody. The laughs are mostly based on slapstick, but they work! The atmosphere and cinematography used are both genuine horror. Contains ome memorable moments and great acting from the part of Jack Macgrowan as a lunatic version of Van Helsing.

And the shot of snow falling on Sharon Tate as she takes a bath is one of my absolute favorites. Another movie I really want on blu-ray.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:37 pm

HGervais wrote:
Gabriel Girard wrote:Dance Of The Vampires(A.K.A The Fearless Vampire Killers) - I feel as tough this one is often forgotten when talking about parodies or Polanski. A precursor to Young Frankenstein, it wants to be both a Hammer horror film and its parody. The laughs are mostly based on slapstick, but they work! The atmosphere and cinematography used are both genuine horror. Contains Some memorable moments and great acting from the part of Jack Macgrowan as a lunatic version of Van Helsing.

And the shot of snow falling on Sharon Tate as she takes a bath is one of my absolute favorites. Another movie I really want on blu-ray.

Fixed my post! Also wanted to say that I love that shot and how it lingers on the snow falling after the vampire has left with Tate. Magical and creepy at the same time. And a Blu-Ray transfer would be amazing.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:56 am

scott pilrgim v the world...get our your brickbats...<hangs head in shame> i didn't appreciate it. I actually marked it down - this is the first film that made me feel old. It is definitely targeted for the 20-30 something audience. as a nearing 50 something, i walked out of the room to reheat a piece of pizza and just let it run in the background. I was very disappointed...i have adored all of edgar wright's other material, but this is someone else's source material directed by him. I have also become fed up with Michael Cera here playing up the extended infantilism that our society encourages in its young (which is odd that i like his separated at birth twin Jesse Eisenberg better, he's at least playing grownups) I am kinda liking the new trend in young female characters - they are all basically JUNO clones with different color hair. I did appreciate all the Faux Comic book animation and the jump cut editing - i thought it worked great and would work even better in other comic book adaptations...i think my problem is with the plot, i really didn't care if a 22 year old guy won the girl of his dreams...between 22 and 50, years he will most likely have 15 more girl friends.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:54 am

It's a divisive movie, no doubt. And I can't say you're wrong about a single thing. I love it, and grew more fond of it with repeat viewings (much like Hot Fuzz and Shawn).

Also, brickbat warning, I freaking HATED the trendy hipster bullshit that was Bryan Lee O'Malley's comic book. The movie was clever in that Wright jettisoned all of the dead weight and anime goofiness and gave the film some tenuous ever-so-slight anchor in the real world.

The flick definitely feels more Wright than O'Malley, though I know he was involved in the day to day development. In fact, i'll doff my cap to O'Malley for allowing and understanding that changes would have to be made in order for his books to work as a film.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:58 am

Steve T Power wrote:It's a divisive movie, no doubt. And I can't say you're wrong about a single thing. I love it, and grew more fond of it with repeat viewings (much like Hot Fuzz and Shawn).
did you get a Ghost World sense of deja vu?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:02 am

molly1216 wrote:
Steve T Power wrote:It's a divisive movie, no doubt. And I can't say you're wrong about a single thing. I love it, and grew more fond of it with repeat viewings (much like Hot Fuzz and Shawn).
did you get a Ghost World sense of deja vu?

To say it was Ghost World after a night of LSD and Nintendo wouldn't be too far of a stretch.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby HGervais » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:50 am

It's funny that you say the movie made you feel old because the exact opposite happened to me. The truths on display are so universal and so honest that it brought me back to that time period of my life. A time where I didn't know what I wanted because I didn't know who I was. A time where it was more important to be the person I thought other people expected or wanted me to be than the person I was. If all the movie was about was a 22 year old winning the girl of his dreams your criticisms might have some validity but there is so much more going on than that. Scott Pilgrim was probably the most emotionally honest film I have seen in years and it's also the most misunderstood. Underneath all the flash and the jumpcuts and the visual playfulness is a movie with a great deal of heart & depth.

molly1216 wrote:scott pilrgim v the world...get our your brickbats...<hangs head in shame> i didn't appreciate it. I actually marked it down - this is the first film that made me feel old. It is definitely targeted for the 20-30 something audience. as a nearing 50 something, i walked out of the room to reheat a piece of pizza and just let it run in the background. I was very disappointed...i have adored all of edgar wright's other material, but this is someone else's source material directed by him. I have also become fed up with Michael Cera here playing up the extended infantilism that our society encourages in its young (which is odd that i like his separated at birth twin Jesse Eisenberg better, he's at least playing grownups) I am kinda liking the new trend in young female characters - they are all basically JUNO clones with different color hair. I did appreciate all the Faux Comic book animation and the jump cut editing - i thought it worked great and would work even better in other comic book adaptations...i think my problem is with the plot, i really didn't care if a 22 year old guy won the girl of his dreams...between 22 and 50, years he will most likely have 15 more girl friends.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Akira Kurosawa's SCANDAL (1950) on Criterion/Eclipse DVD for the first time. Two celebrities are photographed in a compromising (though manufactured by photographers) situation, and their legal and personal struggle to clear their names against the magazine that printed a false story lands them in court. Though tame by today's standards there's a feral intensity to the way Kurosawa condemns tabloid journalism (which flourished in Japan after the American occupation) that would be better appreciated if the director hadn't loaded this movie with enough melodrama to make Douglas Sirk blush. It doesn't help that the magazine publisher (Eitarô Ozawa's Hori) is such a scumbag he becomes a cartoon character. I never thought Takashi Shimura could portray a more pathetic loser than his character in "Ikiru," but for "Scandal" he plays an even bigger and more pathetic loser (an attorney taking bribes to throw the case against his client) with a dying daugher (Yôko Katsuragi ) around Christmas time. I admit that I got teary-eyed when Toshirô Mifune brought down a Christmas tree to the Hiruta household, but then Kurosawa has to stage a Japanese rendition of "Auld Lang Syne" that's so over the top it works as both comic relief and for dramatic effect. For a 'B' side title (to Kurosawa's 'A' side work like "Throne of Blood" and "Rashomon") the tune in "Scandal" ain't bad, it's just not cooking as intensely or feels (to me) as well-prepared as many other Kurosawa-Mifune cinematic dishes.

Rewatched THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (1962) on DVD with the John Frankenheimer commentary track on. Lengthy pauses make this practically a rewatch of the movie (not a bad thing since we get to see Lansbury become a hell of a villain). The few times Frankenheimer has something to say he's so direct and to the point he just shuts up after speaking. The story of why Sinatra's close-up with the deck of Red Queens is out of focus was interesting, and how the filmmakers came up with the interrogation/exposition scene about the brainwashing of the military team even more. Shame that, through most of this commentary, we're not learning anything we didn't already know from just watching the movie.

Rewatched Kubrick's DR. STRANGELOVE (1963) on Blu-ray with the Trivia Facts pop-up track on. I wasn't expecting the triva to be mostly about real-life Cold War military facts; there was hardly anything related to the production of the movie or Kubrick. Guess that's what the documentaries/featurettes are for, but the movie itself (and its great cast of actors/characters, especially Sellers and Hayden) still kicks ass and ends with one hell of a (multiple) bang.

James L. Brooks' BROADCAST NEWS (1987) on Blu-ray. I saw this a lifetime ago (VHS rental in the early 90's) and remember not being very impressed because it didn't feel to me like the movie taught me anything meaningful about the TV business. I realize now that "Broadcast News" is the "Bull Durham" of TV newsroom media: just because it's happening in the background while the leads go through their relationship/professional troubles doesn't mean they don't love their work and appreciate it, it's just so common to them they rarely stop to think about it until their business has changed for the worse. While some of Brooks' wacky humor sneaks into "Broadcast News" (Cusack's famous videotape run, Marc Shaiman/Glen Roven's news theme demonstration, etc.) the movie is actually pretty serious and heartfelt about the emotions its trio of leads feel for each other as well as their work. James Brooks has written (and the actors bring to life) such competent professionals that we're asked to take for granted they're smart in and outside of work. Tom Grunick's drama-free rise to network anchorman isn't as amusing as Peter Finch ranting, but within the movie's context (Tom being honest about his shortcomings) it's what the movie needed to project how far news standards had fallen at the time without coming across as preachy. William Hurt and Albert Brooks are great (Lois Chiles is also very good) but for the life of me I couldn't bring myself to like Holly Hunter. Her Jane Craig comes off as an uptight nervous wreck in her private life that only a colleague like A. Brooks' Aaron (or a doofus like Hurt's anchorman) would find likable by virtue of her professional competence. Nicholson (who makes for a surprisingly believable network news anchor in his few scenes), the Cusacks (yes, John is in it for like half-a-second toward the end), Robert Prosky, Stephen Mendillo (as Tom's father in two key scenes), and Amy Brooks (her deleted scene is a winner, even Brooks laughs out loud rewatching it) provide great supporting work. There's no satisfying ending to "Broadcast News" (the one in the final version and two additional one's unearthed by this Criterion release are OK but leaves one wanting more/better) but that didn't bother me since getting to spend time in James L. Brooks' pre-"I'll Fly Away" mindset is such a cozy and fun place to be.

Bill Conti tries hard (and mostly fails) to emulate the score from J. Brooks' "Terms of Endearment." Whatever film stock Michael Ballhauss was using back in the 1980's really brings out the grain because, even with a 4K transfer (per Criterion's manual), this movie looks older than '87. It's detailed enough to get by and reflects how the negative actually looks (I shudder to think about the Fox people that DNR'd the "Predator" Blu-ray getting a hold of this) but this is not a show-off movie. The alternate ending and 20 minutes worth of deleted scenes (most of them pretty damn good and well-acted) is why I pay retail prices for Criterion titles and feel I get my money's worth. There's an entire subplot involving a gay whistleblower named Buddy that becomes William Hurt's source/friend; Tom goes from naive to gentle to stone-cold (the handshake!), all for being nice to a gay guy that needed a friend. A lot of these Buddy scenes would end up, reshaped and re-written, into the Greg Kinnear character from "As Good As It Gets." Brooks claims in the deleted scenes commentary that Buddy's scenes were removed for time and other tone reasons, but I just don't see Buddy's homosexuality going so well on a Hollywood mainstream movie in Reagan's America. It's a neat peek into the editing process shaping a movie out of its filmmakers' intial intent.

BACKYARD WEDDING (2011) on the Hallmark Channel HD for the first time. I only watched this because (a) I love Alicia Witt (why isn't Det. Falacci on a plane to Los Angeles to help the struggling "Law & Order" spinoff?) and (b) "Alex Mack's" Larisa Oleynik has a small part as the bride-to-be's best girl. I wasn't expecting much from a made-for-cable TV movie in which the girl is engaged to marry the guy that is clearly wrong for her (Ryan Bittle, playing the Cary Elwes-esque part to a tee) while the next-door-neighbor whom she's known all her life (Teddy Sears) bumbles his way into her heart. Then I realized that, when he had nothing or nobody else to cut two, director Braford May kept cutting to either Larisa's face reacting to someone/something (no dialogue, no context; just random shots of the woman looking at stuff) or the same establishing dolly shots of the house with the big backyard where 90% of the movie takes place. Frances Fisher and Markie Post bring some spunk to their matriarchal roles but "Backyard Wedding" is as forgettable as the channel number that Hallmark Channel is at on your local cable/satellite provider. ;-)
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:50 pm

True Grit/2010.....everything you have heard is true. One of the Coen's best films, which means it's one of the best films of the year and of the past 10 years. Performances are spot on, the leads and especially Barry Pepper, Carter Burwell does his usual outstanding job and yes, Roger Deakins is something close to god-like.
HGervais
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 am

HGervais wrote:True Grit/2010. Performances are spot on, the leads and especially Barry Pepper

You're the first person I've seen mention Pepper, and it's a shame. He's phenomenal in the movie, and adds a hell of a lot more than Josh Brolin does.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:30 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:
HGervais wrote:True Grit/2010. Performances are spot on, the leads and especially Barry Pepper

You're the first person I've seen mention Pepper, and it's a shame. He's phenomenal in the movie, and adds a hell of a lot more than Josh Brolin does.

Ahem.

Thought Pepper was fantastic in it myself.
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:04 pm

sorcerer's apprentice...i think i have no opinion..it wasn't awful,, it wasn't great, it was bright and shiny with good special effects and likable actors, on the whole..the movie left nearly no impression. ...the only thing i absolutely hated was the prologue, it would have been greatly improved by losing it....
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:10 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
Andrew Forbes wrote:

Ahem.
Thought Pepper was fantastic in it myself.

Okay, I guess I meant it was the first time I'd seen someone single out Barry Pepper for special praise. Between him and Pete Postlethwaite's turn in The Town, 2010 seems like the year of memorable third-act villains.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Future Man » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:31 am

The King's Speech
Great, but (spoiler) I wish two alternatives to the handling of the big speech could have been dismissed with a line or two of dialogue: 1) why did it have to be live; and 2) why couldn't they have used the music distraction technique.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:23 am

Kick Ass - now THAT i liked...watched it twice..i was entertained by the soundtrack, the editing and the line of cameos. did anyone else noticed the art direction pulled off something i hadn't seen before..they manage to both capture a REAL WORLD sense of high school and homelife YET it smacked of freaks and geeks familiarity.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:12 am

^^^ Not to mention one of Nic Cage's better roles since forever (great Adam West imitation). :)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:45 am

Fallen Angels (1995) - A spiritual successor to Chungking Express it is more experimental with its fragmented stories and weird angles. Kar-Wai packed a lot of different beats in its 96 mins and Christopher Doyle goes crazy with the different camera techniques, landing some very gorgeous shots.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:17 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:^^^ Not to mention one of Nic Cage's better roles since forever (great Adam West imitation). :)
now THAT had me rolling on the floor.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:02 pm

molly1216 wrote:
J.M. Vargas wrote:^^^ Not to mention one of Nic Cage's better roles since forever (great Adam West imitation). :)

Speaking of Adam West, I shook his hand today.
HGervais
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:07 pm

^^^ Do tell... did he come by the restaurant or was he in town for a convention/movie? ;-)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:02 pm

HGervais wrote:
molly1216 wrote:

Speaking of Adam West, I shook his hand today.

I envy you. So much.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:06 pm

Was busy this week, but snuk in two films.

Black Swan - For the first ten minutes, I was concerned that that the film was not going to live up to the hype. And then it did. Oh man, there are some Oscars coming for this film. Or at least there should be.

Steel - On the side of this being the first Warner Archive discs I have watched, the quality is darn good. As for the film itself, well, wait for the review. It is bad, but interestingly bad.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:40 pm

^^^ Which version of "Steel" are you talking about? There are several listed under the IMDB listings (http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Steel) but the one that lists Warner as the production company is the one starring Shaq and directed by one of my heroes, Kenneth 'Bionic Woman-Incredible Hulk' Johnson. Is this the one that Warner released on Archive form or another "Steel" the company acquired through another studio? :(
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:27 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:^^^ Which version of "Steel" are you talking about? There are several listed under the IMDB listings (http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Steel) but the one that lists Warner as the production company is the one starring Shaq and directed by one of my heroes, Kenneth 'Bionic Woman-Incredible Hulk' Johnson. Is this the one that Warner released on Archive form or another "Steel" the company acquired through another studio? :(

It be Shaquille O'Neal as Steel, proving once again, he can't act.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:52 am

Um, a spur of the moment invite and I saw Yogi Bear. I was expecting dreck, and I got charming, family friendly fun. They got it. A few between the lines jokes for the adults, and silliness for the kids. Well done.
At home, I took a break from Hitchcock to revisit the Tudors. Holy crap, what a great show that was!! Instead of focusing on the dialogue and action, I looked into the details, and man, they must have spent millions on it, as every character has 58 incredibly detailed costumes, and the sets are incredibly detailed as well. I love how they took aerial shots of the various palaces and digitally removed the modern stuff and replaced it with period buildings. Plus, rewatching it was more fun as I recognized the actors from other stuff. I'm like "Hey, waitaminute, Catherine of Aragorn is also Dexter's housekeeper/nanny!" "Sir Anthony? Nah, you're ZOD!" Good fun!
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:53 am

^^^ And now you can add Henry 'Superman' Cavill to the spot-a-celeb "Tudors" drinking game. ;-)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Previous

Return to Movies