Bond Back in Action!

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Bond Back in Action!

Postby Jim_Thomas » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:18 am

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/01/11/james-bond-returns/?hpt=T2

Today’s announcement that the long-delayed 23rd installment of the 007 franchise was finally gearing up for production — with a release date of Nov. 9, 2012 — was the narrowest escape Bond has had since Goldfinger almost circumcised him with a laser beam. Last April, money troubles at debt-hobbled MGM forced Bond’s producers to suspend the film’s pre-production “indefinitely,” which triggered an avalanche of speculation. Would Bond ever return? Or would the most successful action series in motion picture history be tangled up for years in lawsuits and bankruptcy proceedings?

In the end, MGM made a deal with Spyglass Entertainment that saved Bond not a moment too soon. Since the suspension, Daniel Craig has been filling up his date book with lots of other projects, like Cowboys and Aliens and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Squeezing a six-month Bond shoot into his schedule was only going to get more and more difficult. Sam Mendes is still slated to direct, but Peter Morgan, who was writing the script for Bond 23 before the suspension, has apparently been replaced by John Logan, the ex-playwright who penned the screenplays for The Last Samurai and The Aviator. Of course, there’s no word yet on what the plot of the next James Bond movie will be, but for now it’s relief enough to know that there actually will be a next James Bond movie.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Re: Bond Back in Action!

Postby Tallest1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:12 am

Great news!
Tallest1
Law Clerk

Postby Burson_Fouch » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:53 am

Good to see it officially announced with Mendes and Craig remaining with the production.

Since QOS, a good but not great Bond film, made nearly 600 million worldwide it was obvious that the Bond series would continue. I don't think the delay is really that long, considering there was a delay of over 6 years between The License to Kill and Goldeneye.
We intend to destroy all dogmatic verbal systems
W.S. Burroughs
Burson_Fouch
City Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:11 am

It is about time though. I was starting to wonder if MGM was lead by the same idiots that have bankrupt Blockbuster Video.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:56 am

Honestly, I'd be more excited if someone other than Mendes were directing. My reaction to everything he's done so far has run the gamut from total apathy to outright hatred.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:Honestly, I'd be more excited if someone other than Mendes were directing. My reaction to everything he's done so far has run the gamut from total apathy to outright hatred.

I'm kind of with you there. I'd be much more excited if we were talking about Mathew Vaughan, Edgar Wright or Shane Meadows directing. Mendes just doesn't do a whole lot for me.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:23 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:Honestly, I'd be more excited if someone other than Mendes were directing. My reaction to everything he's done so far has run the gamut from total apathy to outright hatred.

Agreed. Although I suspect the genre/franchise expectations and structure will limit his opportunities for facile moralizing.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Hasn't Bond always gone to second tier directors though? Well maybe not second tier but not to the top of the class either. People used to speculate that the studio wanted it's handlers in charge so a director wasn't as important as it would be for other movies.

I'd actually like to see some big names take on Bond but the studio won't roll the dice. Speilberg, Giliam, maybe even Gary Marshall.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:

Agreed. Although I suspect the genre/franchise expectations and structure will limit his opportunities for facile moralizing.

I'm stoked about Mendes. The guys is pretty gifted visually, and I think he handles human interaction well. I also think the action will also be more visually stylish while simultaneously veering away from that whole "rapid fire - hard to follow" editing that's plagued the Craig Bonds.

And screw you guys, I loved Road to Perdition and Away We Go.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Attrage » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:27 pm

I'm always excited about a new Bond as I'm an absolute nut for Bond films, I love most of them. As far as directors go, Mendes does seem an odd choice but even though every director kind of puts their own "stamp" on the Bond film/s they direct, they all have to kind of fit into the Bond canon so it'll still be a "Bond" film. That's my two cents anyway...
And for the record, I'm firmly in the "Timothy Dalton was a freakin AWESOME Bond" camp :)
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby HGervais » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:32 pm

"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:17 pm

Fantastic. The man's arguably the best DP working today.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby tucco » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Great news all around......But late 2012? Damn, I know these things get tied up and it takes time to film a movie but it's tiresome to be told about a movie two years before release date....
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:23 am

tucco wrote:Great news all around......But late 2012? Damn, I know these things get tied up and it takes time to film a movie but it's tiresome to be told about a movie two years before release date....

Especially if you do some reading about the earlier days of Hollywood, where just say a tremendously successful flick like The Thin Man was a whopping 23 days, start to distribution. 11 days total of filming. It takes a company six months to just slice up the profits before a page of script is even written these days.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:10 am

I'm frankly amazed they are shooting for a late 2012 release date. Mega-budget films that shoot on multiple continents with huge stunt heavy action sequences take a lot of time to prep and get ready. Yes it's been a long wait but relax & rejoice, Bond is once more on the way.
HGervais
Judge

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:31 am

HGervais wrote:I'm frankly amazed they are shooting for a late 2012 release date. Mega-budget films that shoot on multiple continents with huge stunt heavy action sequences take a lot of time to prep and get ready. Yes it's been a long wait but relax & rejoice, Bond is once more on the way.

I know with November 2012 for Bond and then December for The Hobbit, MGM is gonna be resurrected from the dead in a big way.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby tucco » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:06 pm

Steve T Power wrote:I know with November 2012 for Bond and then December for The Hobbit, MGM is gonna be resurrected from the dead in a big way.

And how! Can't wait....
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby azul017 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:45 pm

Steve T Power wrote:I know with November 2012 for Bond and then December for The Hobbit, MGM is gonna be resurrected from the dead in a big way.

MGM isn't going to see a lot of profits for their end of The Hobbit. Before the pre-packaged bankruptcy was finalized (and the Spyglass guys came in), I think MGM signed over the international distribution rights over to New Line and Warner Brothers to get production moving.

Bond 23 will provide a big chunk of MGM's revenue, especially since Sony is co-financing and distributing again.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Return to Movies