Seven Roles Older British Actors Can Sell Out With

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Seven Roles Older British Actors Can Sell Out With

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:33 am

DEAD-ON SLIDESHOW OVER AT NY MAGAZINE, in honor of this week's #1 movie 'The Rite.' It's amazing how easy it is even for us, hardcore cinephiles, to buy the Brits as our Gods, mentors and all-around foreign accent delivering thesps even when they don't fit the nationality and/or practicality of the movies/shows. :D
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Re: Seven Roles Older British Actors Can Sell Out With

Postby Polynikes » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:31 pm

From the British perspective, I can only agree, and I can think of some other examples in addition to those in the Powerpoint (which was nicely observed - it made me smile). It is sad to see some of our finest actors denying their talent with some of the roles they take, but unfortunately the lure of the money seems too great. How unfortunate it is that Alec Guinness is best remembered for playing Obi-Wan Kenobe. However, it was his choice!
Polynikes
City Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:09 pm

^^^ They removed a line from the 'Pagan Gods' introduction (probably caught flack from readers) that made me laugh: "...everyone knows all gods, no matter where they are from, speak with a British accent. (Except Jesus. He's American.)" :lol:
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:36 pm

What I came away from this article with: the words "sell out", together, need to go away. Forever.

The whole point of someone being a "sell out" is when one compromises their values and gives into something they have stood against in the past. Did Anthony Hopkins ever say "I only do films for the art of it?" Hell no, the man is one of the more honest when it comes to his willingness to take a job for cash. And when did Ian McKellen ever say he would only do artistic fare? Was it around the time he did THE SHADOW?

At some point, earning a living and selling out became interchangable, and thus the phrase "sell out" has long since lost its value, at least as far as the arts are concerned.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Attrage » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:45 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:What I came away from this article with: the words "sell out", together, need to go away. Forever.

The whole point of someone being a "sell out" is when one compromises their values and gives into something they have stood against in the past. Did Anthony Hopkins ever say "I only do films for the art of it?" Hell no, the man is one of the more honest when it comes to his willingness to take a job for cash. And when did Ian McKellen ever say he would only do artistic fare? Was it around the time he did THE SHADOW?

At some point, earning a living and selling out became interchangable, and thus the phrase "sell out" has long since lost its value, at least as far as the arts are concerned.

You're onto a whole 'nother topic there but well said. I totally agree.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Return to Movies