R.I.P. John Barry

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

R.I.P. John Barry

Postby J.M. Vargas » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:55 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12321610 :cry: :cry: :cry:
He will forever be remembered for the music on the James Bond movies (and his last soundtrack for "The Living Daylights" is easily his best work on that series along with "On Her Majesty's Secret Service," IMHO) but he was such a versatile guy. His score for Roeg's "Walkabout" is just masterful (the soaring music after the poem is read never fails to bring a tear to my eye). He will be missed but his work will live forever. 8)
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Re: R.I.P. John Barry

Postby HGervais » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:21 am

I have a lot of film music on my iPod and for some reason or another I have to be in a certain frame of mind to listen to music by Jerry Goldsmith or John Williams but when something by John Barry pops up I almost always keep it going. He was an inventive composer who could write hooks like nobody's business. He will indeed be missed.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:18 pm

John Barry was absolutely one of the greats. Dances with Wolves is the score that kicked off my obsession with film music. On a number of occasions, he wrote more great melodies and thematic hooks within a single score than many composers produce in an entire career. So many remarkable scores over the years.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Bryan Pope » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:35 pm

Such a remarkable body of work. Once the theme from Out of Africa gets stuck in my head, it's there to stay for a while.

So sad about his passing, but what a legacy he left behind.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:24 pm

May he RIP and God be with his family. Dang it, this is a hard one to hear. Love his music.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:38 am

Have his score for The Black Hole blasting on my sound system as I write this. What a great composer.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Return to Movies