Top 100 British Films

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Top 100 British Films

Postby HGervais » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:38 pm

From London Time-Out. Interesting list.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Re: Top 100 British Films

Postby Bryan Pope » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:43 am

Wow, lots of love for Nic Roeg. And Don't Look Now at #1? I love the film, but strange choice.

And no Gosford Park? That's a crime.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:46 am

A far more interesting list than I was anticipating, but I guess it makes sense since it was compiled by a survey of film-makers and critics. I suppose it was too much to hope that Sunshine would appear. It will be a few years before it gets the love it deserves, though.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:58 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:A far more interesting list than I was anticipating, but I guess it makes sense since it was compiled by a survey of film-makers and critics. I suppose it was too much to hope that Sunshine would appear. It will be a few years before it gets the love it deserves, though.

Amen.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Burson_Fouch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:18 am

The love for British exploitation, Theatre of Blood/Dracula/The Wicker Man/Witchfinder General, is much appreciated...but the exclusion of Lindsay Anderson's O'Lucky Man is a crime against the crown. Especially when one considers that junk like Withnail & I was included.
We intend to destroy all dogmatic verbal systems
W.S. Burroughs
Burson_Fouch
City Attorney

Postby Bryan Pope » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:31 pm

In addition to Gosford Park, some other favorites of mine were left off -- Sense and Sensibility, Remains of the Day, A Room with a View, Atonement, The Secret Garden.

Still an interesting list, though.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:33 pm

Bryan Pope wrote:In addition to Gosford Park, some other favorites of mine were left off -- Sense and Sensibility, Remains of the Day, A Room with a View, Atonement, The Secret Garden.

Still an interesting list, though.

Yeah, the list generally seems less-than-enthusiastic about restrained costume dramas. The Remains of the Day in particular is a terrible omission. Even so, the list is more intriguing and worthwhile than many lists of this sort.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby BenSaylor » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:55 pm

Definitely don't agree with the placement of Don't Look Now (or the inclusion of Bad TIming), but this is an interesting list overall. I had never heard of the Bill Douglas trilogy; it's now on my Netflix queue. Also glad to see the "angry young man" subgenre well represented.
BenSaylor
City Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:37 pm

a) I'd put The Third Man in the number one spot.
b) 2001: A Space Odyssey shouldn't even be on the list. The production was financed by MGM and Kubrick Productions -- mostly MGM. Sure, it was shot in England, but by that measure why not toss Star Wars on the list?
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:a) I'd put The Third Man in the number one spot.
b) 2001: A Space Odyssey shouldn't even be on the list. The production was financed by MGM and Kubrick Productions -- mostly MGM. Sure, it was shot in England, but by that measure why not toss Star Wars on the list?

Yeah, I'd sooner put something like Rebecca on the list than 2001.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Return to Movies