Let Me In versus Let the Right One In

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Let Me In versus Let the Right One In

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:07 am

Ok, I just saw both thanks to Netflix. First I'm surprised at how much was lifted directly from the original. I'm used to remakes that bastardize the original story. In many ways this was more of a translation than a full fledged remake.

some thoughts in no particular order

- I preferred Abby to Eli. Abby was able to tear at my heart strings more. I could easily see someone being her helper. Eli less so, but it's close. I'm not sure why but Eli to me felt more evil from the start. Perhaps it's just because Abby was playing more cute where Eli was more of a tortured soul.

-I preferred Oskar to Owen. Owen felt like a hollow cliche to me where Oskar was a believable boy caught in a bad situation.

- I actually liked the neighbor aspect better than the cop investigating. I'm not sure why but it seemed to carry more weight.

- I have to say it, I liked spoken English rather than subtitles. Yes I'm an enlightened soul but with subtitles you lose the vocal inflection.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Re: Let Me In versus Let the Right One In

Postby Dunnyman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:02 am

OK, I have to admit, I expected the remake to be your typical Hollywood hatchet job, but it wasn't. They actually got it right, and it turned out far scarier than I expected it to.
Abby vs. Eli was a dead heat, Eli was a little more empty, whereas Abby was a little less...dead, if you'll pardon the pun. Owen was the weaker link in the pair, as his situation seemed more "Hollywood" tough times, where Oskar was being brutalized.
- I have to say it, I liked spoken English rather than subtitles. Yes I'm an enlightened soul but with subtitles you lose the vocal inflection.

Well, jeez, you call yourself a film fan? Take the effort and learn Swedish to enjoy the movie properly like I did!.... ;-)
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Future Man » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:41 am

For me the American film seemed like a shot for shot remake for much of its running time although very well done and beautifully lit I might add. There were few surprises in store. I did think that the gas station scene in the remake was a very suspenseful set piece.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:30 am

Dunnyman wrote:Well, jeez, you call yourself a film fan? Take the effort and learn Swedish to enjoy the movie properly like I did!.... ;-)

I've decided to watch it again with a pair of Swedish masseuses.

I had forgotten about the gas station scene. I wish I could take the two movies and put them together choosing the best from each. Luckily the way Hollywood has been someone will "reboot" it next year.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Ptolemy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:17 am

Listen to the F This Movie podcast on the subject(s)
Elvis Presley was a model citizen. I've compiled a list of his traits for you to practice. Number one...is dancing!
Ptolemy
City Attorney

Postby Patrick Bromley » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Yes! Thank you, Ptolemy.
Patrick Bromley
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:08 pm

I'm just saying now that there may be spoilers. If you haven't seen both and don't want spoilers stop reading. No need to play around with font colors or anything, just stop reading.

I just downloaded the podcast. I agree with some of it, but disagree with some as well. Perhaps having not read the book and seeing Let Me In first I have a different perspective. It had some changes but to me that wasn't exactly all bad.

I had no idea the girl in the Sweedish version was supposed to be a boy. The scene flashed so quickly that I just didn't think anything of it beyond that she seems to be doll like. As in not correct either way. Even then I wasn't sure because of how fast the scene went by. Now that I think on it I still don't get it. Castration is removing the testicles. Are they saying she doesn't use the bathroom so they cut off her / his penis as well? This is the type of thing that would only make sense if there were more story. Perhaps that's a book only thing. In any event I didn't see it adding anything to the movie because nothing was done with it in either movie. If it isn't in the movie I don't assume it because of the book, which may have been the directors intent.

I agree that starting the movie with the car crash was unnecessary. It didn't even really make sense. Why play with the time line once?

As far as the American version explaining things, I think that's sort of a counter to the artsy movement. Artists (I use the term sarcastically there) like to have either depressing or confusing endings. They do it to be different but it really just makes them all the same in the end. I don't want to see a movie only to have to make it all up myself after it's over. That just feels sort of cheap. However I don't want movies to explain things to heavily and treat me like a moron. I think this movie in particular walked the line very well.

I liked that the American version held focus on Abby outside of the hospital. It not only accentuated the slow deliberate pacing of the movie but for someone emotionally invested it was also a heart stopping moment. "will the nurse look up?" "will Abby get away without being found out? "Will she get hurt?" "Can she be hurt?"

Any other thoughts?
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Return to Movies