Arthur trailer

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Arthur trailer

Postby Jim_Thomas » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:36 pm

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/02/10/arthur-trailer/

If you need me, I'll be in the restroom projectile vomiting.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Re: Arthur trailer

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:58 pm

Yes, the trailer made me feel a little sick. I can't exactly say why. It means well but misses on so many levels that it just doesn't work.

Then again I've never seen an Arthur movie. I get the premise, which has been done before and since however.

I thought Arthur was an aardvark anyway? How did he become an English industrialist? First they recast white characters as blacks but this really is too much.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:15 pm

I think it actually looks... kinda... good.

Mind, i freakin HATE Dudley Moore, so there's that.

And Brand doesn't exactly look like his usual stupid self, there actually seems to be a bit of sly winking behind his alcoholic man child, a little depth that wasn't there in the original, which i also hate by the way.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby Bryan Pope » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:17 am

Steve T Power wrote:I think it actually looks... kinda... good.

Mind, i freakin HATE Dudley Moore, so there's that.

And Brand doesn't exactly look like his usual stupid self, there actually seems to be a bit of sly winking behind his alcoholic man child, a little depth that wasn't there in the original, which i also hate by the way.

I agree with Steve. Nothing about the trailer struck me as offensive other than the fact that yet another "classic" is being remade. (I didn't find the original particularly funny, and a little Moore goes a long way for me.)

Based on the trailer, which made me chuckle, I'd gladly rent this.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:19 am

I love, love, love the original Arthur, as my review of the film makes clear http://experiencecinematic.blogspot.com/2010/06/arthur-gordon-1981.html.

That said, the trailer for the new films does not look that horribe. Different, yes, but I am willing to give it a shot first before passing judgement.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby azul017 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:27 pm

It doesn't look bad at all. Helen Mirren is a definite plus on the remake scale, and no Minelli is even better.

Oddly, this seems like the perfect vehicle for Brand's ADD-style improv humor.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby jcankerhuxley » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:34 pm

What everyone forgets is that Dudley Moore and Liza Minelli did not cement this film as a comedy classic. The real magic of his film was made by Sir John Gielgud as Hobson the butler. The first film is carrier primarily by Gielgud's witty comebacks and his touching scenes with Arthur regarding his death.

The sequel "Arthur 2" has all of the major players returning. It sucks for several reasons, primarily because Gielgud is relegated to a cameo. You can have whomever in the title role, but unless you have someone that can pull off the Hobson role, you have a steaming dog turd of a remake.
[B]uying DVD's is cheaper then spending my money on booze, drugs & hookers -- Harold Gervais
jcankerhuxley
City Attorney

Postby HGervais » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:38 pm

It's actually Lou Jacobi's brief scene as the flower shop owner that cements Arthur but I certainly take your point.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Return to Movies