R.I.P. Producer David F. Friedman

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

R.I.P. Producer David F. Friedman

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:45 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110214/ap_en_ot/us_obit_friedman
David F. Friedman, the B-movie producer of the 1960s and '70s who turned out the cult classic "Blood Feast," died Monday at age 87, his niece said. Bridgett Everett said her uncle died of heart failure at a nursing home in Anniston, Ala.

Friedman worked with director Herschell Gordon Lewis to create 1963's "Blood Feast," a roughly acted film that depicted the dismemberment of attractive women. The film is considered one of the first of the so-called "gore" movies, said Mike Vraney, owner of Something Weird Video in Seattle. "Blood Feast" cost a paltry $24,500 to make — and netted a $6.5 million profit, Everett said.

Some of his adult-oriented B-movies, such as "Goldilocks and the Three Bares were shot in nudist colonies. Others combined sexual themes with horror and crime, including "The Adult Version of Jekyll and Hide" and "The Defilers." His other drive-in fare included "Two Thousand Maniacs!" and "Color Me Blood Red."
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Return to Movies