Amazon's new streaming service (w/ Prime membership)

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Amazon's new streaming service (w/ Prime membership)

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:32 am

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1531234&highlight=.

If you're already a Prime member you don't pay anything extra and can start streaming right away (my Prime membership expires in August! :D); $79 a year for new members (same as before) and the same 2-day shipping service and other Prime goodies. Not as good a selection as Netflix (Amazon has UK "Doctor Who" though) but there are some gems like Orson Welles' "Don Quixote" spread around 5,000 other titles. Good for me (I was already a Prime member) but not something I'd pay $79 for upfront if I had Netflix and Hulu as options and didn't buy much stuff direct from amazon. What do you think?
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Re: Amazon's new streaming service (w/ Prime membership)

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:04 am

MOVIE SELECTION (almost 1,700 titles). Joyce, I see a lot of 'B' movies I think you'd like (check 'Classics'). ;-)

TV SELECTION (lots of BBC and PBS shows, some of them in HD; classic and contemporary "Doctor Who" anyone?).
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Future Man » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:30 am

Saw this this morning myself. As a prime member already I am definitely going to check it out.
Future Man
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:41 am

Paying up front is one issue they will have. People don't like contracts and commitments when they are unsure of something. I paid for Netflix and Hulu both a year in advance, but I tested them both out heavily before hand.

Also I'm kind of yawning over the issue now. It's just another streamer at this point. People say competition is good, but it depends on who is being competed for. In the streaming market we need fewer companies because the end user isn't being competed for, it's the studios. They are signing massive deals for exclusivity rights and we lose out because now to see what we want we have to pay three times to three different services. Amazon offering more catalog and b-items isn't going to get me. I've already allocated my entertainment budget elsewhere.

Pretty much the only service I wanted to see materialize was Redbox, but I'm not sure they are capable. They hinted at a service that was more like HBO from the past. In that I mean a few hit movies that rotate out. That would be a nice compliment to Netflix. At this point though it's too late for Redbox.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:49 am

I don't see where this is a contract or a committment. I have used amazon prime for going on three years now and all this does is make something I already pay for a better value.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:59 am

HGervais wrote:I don't see where this is a contract or a committment. I have used amazon prime for going on three years now and all this does is make something I already pay for a better value.

Right, you already pay for it. I'm talking about new members. People who would be signing up mostly for the streaming. People who either don't use Amazon that much or people like me who are patient and use the free shipping without Prime membership. Those people may not like the billing aspect.

I did find out they have a one month free trial. I'll use that. I know for many Prime is a great deal. I just don't buy that much from Amazon and like I said above when I do I use free shipping. I'm not sure I'd want to pay 79 for a third streaming service when I already have Netflix and Hulu.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Return to Movies