Fincher's GWTDT - Redband trailer

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Fincher's GWTDT - Redband trailer

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue May 31, 2011 9:46 am

Possibly bootlegged, possibly deliberately so as a marketing stunt by Sony (especially as it has yet to be pulled), here is the NSFW trailer for Fincher's take on 2009's most absurdly overhyped movie. The trailer is a masterpiece, but the movie it's advertising looks taken almost shot-for-shot from the Swedish film. And there isn't anything in here to suggest, so far, that Fincher has a unique tack on the material that will mitigate the myriad flaws of the original. But Karen O + Trent Reznor attacking Led Zep, plus brilliant editing, type and tagline? I might be sold anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kOFGI0p ... r_embedded
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Re: Fincher's GWTDT - Redband trailer

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue May 31, 2011 3:14 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:Possibly bootlegged, possibly deliberately so as a marketing stunt by Sony (especially as it has yet to be pulled), here is the NSFW trailer for Fincher's take on 2009's most absurdly overhyped movie. The trailer is a masterpiece, but the movie it's advertising looks taken almost shot-for-shot from the Swedish film. And there isn't anything in here to suggest, so far, that Fincher has a unique tack on the material that will mitigate the myriad flaws of the original. But Karen O + Trent Reznor attacking Led Zep, plus brilliant editing, type and tagline? I might be sold anyway.

Never read the books, have yet to see the original films, but I will be there to see what Fincher has planned.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue May 31, 2011 5:48 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:Possibly bootlegged, possibly deliberately so as a marketing stunt by Sony (especially as it has yet to be pulled), here is the NSFW trailer for Fincher's take on 2009's most absurdly overhyped movie. The trailer is a masterpiece, but the movie it's advertising looks taken almost shot-for-shot from the Swedish film. And there isn't anything in here to suggest, so far, that Fincher has a unique tack on the material that will mitigate the myriad flaws of the original. But Karen O + Trent Reznor attacking Led Zep, plus brilliant editing, type and tagline? I might be sold anyway.

What Andrew said, except I hate the Zep cover and the tagline, plus Fincher's work has been largely disappointing of late, so I guess I have zero enthusiasm for the flick.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Tue May 31, 2011 5:52 pm

It really does look like a piece of viral marketing by Sony although I do wonder if it is the kind of thing they will end up to later regret. I'm like you Andrew, I don't really get the fascination with the series that the general public seems to have. Nick was right when he called the first film Rape: The Movie but if I had a list of three film directors I would have confidence in to shape almost any property into something worth watching Fincher is on that list.

Dan...Zodiac & The Social Network were....disappointing? Really?
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:04 am

HGervais wrote:It really does look like a piece of viral marketing by Sony although I do wonder if it is the kind of thing they will end up to later regret. I'm like you Andrew, I don't really get the fascination with the series that the general public seems to have. Nick was right when he called the first film Rape: The Movie but if I had a list of three film directors I would have confidence in to shape almost any property into something worth watching Fincher is on that list.

Zodiac is his masterpiece. The Social Network is an overrated mediocrity. Benjamin Button is just plain awful in every way imaginable.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Bryan Pope » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:36 am

Dan Mancini wrote:
HGervais wrote:It really does look like a piece of viral marketing by Sony although I do wonder if it is the kind of thing they will end up to later regret. I'm like you Andrew, I don't really get the fascination with the series that the general public seems to have. Nick was right when he called the first film Rape: The Movie but if I had a list of three film directors I would have confidence in to shape almost any property into something worth watching Fincher is on that list.

Zodiac is his masterpiece. The Social Network is an overrated mediocrity. Benjamin Button is just plain awful in every way imaginable.

Second that on Social Network.

I've already shared my thoughts on Benjamin Button with The Great Dancini via Facebook, but I'll reiterate them here.

SPOILERS

It's a seriously flawed movie, I agree. For starters, the screenplay is riddled with cliches and Brad Pitt isn't given much of a character to work with. But some elements work so well for me that I don't care: Hurricane Katrina as a framing device, the melancholy late-night scenes (particularly the ones with Tilda Swinton), and the inevitable heartbreaker of an ending. I also like the way the entire film seems to have a thin veil of fantasy draped over it. It's appropriate and subtle. And the small scene toward the end where we watch from behind as a two-year-old (but really 80-something-year-old) Benjamin Button reaches up to kiss Cate Blanchett on the cheek as he toddles down the sidewalk is one of the moist poignant scenes I've ever seen. It just worked for me.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:45 am

HGervais wrote:I'm like you Andrew, I don't really get the fascination with the series that the general public seems to have. Nick was right when he called the first film Rape: The Movie

Spoilers follow: It's not merely the graphic content, which doesn't bother me if it is appropriate in context. It's the fact that an exploitative, deeply sexist movie (and novel) has acquired a reputation as a feminist milestone (elsewhere in the world, it is known as Men Who Hate Women). Its protagonist is a righteous defender of forgotten victims, but it doesn't address the kind of violence that touches most women. It pretends to address systematic abuse but, well, that would be boring, so instead it presents us with a family of Nazi/rapist/torturer/serial killers. Here's a movie that wallows in the suffering and humiliation of women. It rubs our faces in the deepest kind of depravity, pats itself on the back for being brave enough to show it, then gives us a gratuitous sex-scene where the hot goth chick beds the pudgy, middle-aged journalist out of f***ing nowhere because... uh... Oh, and she's bi because that allows for really hot girl-on-girl, er, depth of character somethingsomething. I might discount this as poor translation of the source material, leaving out critical details that fill in the characters and deepen the relationships, if I didn't know that, in the books, Larsson--I mean Blomkvist--bangs practically every lady in sight and Salander gets breast implants as "the best gift she'd ever given herself." Yeah.

And on top of all this, the first two flicks feature some of the sloppiest, most trite plotting I've ever seen. Numerical codes in a bible? Check. Serial-killer exposition monologue? Check. Hulking mini-boss who feels no pain? Check. Villain who turns out to be the protagonist's father? Check. Salander, a hacker phenom who has no qualms about breaking the law, needs to give sexual favors to her guardian for enough money to live on, AND she then sets him up using a video camera and a taser. Interestingly, tasers evidently knock people out reliably for a few harmless minutes--except people with nerve conditions that block pain reception. Most egregiously, the architect of the investigation, who is searching for his lost niece, continues to receive the framed flowers she would give him for his birthday, and he assumes it's the killer taunting him, never once allowing that it could be his niece on the run? And we're meant to be surprised when it turns out that she is sending them?

Seriously, F this noise hard.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:03 am

Funny how I always manage to forget about Benjamin Button. There is some stuff I like in there but yeah, it's a pretty flawed movie. I would part company though with The Social Network. It wasn't my favorite film of last year but it was certainly in my top ten.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:34 am

HGervais wrote:Funny how I always manage to forget about Benjamin Button.

a) That's perfectly understandable, and b) I envy you.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby Bryan Pope » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:44 am

Dan Mancini wrote:

Pardon me while I look for that "defriend" button...
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Bryan Pope wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:

Pardon me while I look for that "defriend" button...

Hahaha! Hey, Benjamin Button didn't cast a spell on me, but I know all about loving terrible movies, so cut me some slack.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Return to Movies