TREE OF LIFE

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

TREE OF LIFE

Postby Tallest1 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:02 am

It looks like Tree of Life never got the wide release, at least around the suburbs of Philadelphia, that I was hoping for. I'm going to check it out tonight at a small art house theater because it's the last night it's playing there. Wondering what people thought of it. Seems like it's a love it or hate it kind of film. I'm a huge fan of the guy and have been looking forward to seeing it.
Tallest1
Law Clerk

Re: TREE OF LIFE

Postby hoytereden » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:13 pm

I doubt seriously it's going to be shown in my town so I'll be waiting for the Blu-ray. I too, love all things (few as they are) Malick.

P.S.
Still waiting for Badlands to go Blu. Come on, Warner Brothers or Criterion!
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Tallest1 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:32 am

I dug it. Definitely a bold attempt at summing up the beauty, pain, and wonder of life. It brought back so many memories of childhood for both me and my girlfriend, and we talked about it the entire ride home. It's really beautiful, but I can see it really polarizing audiences. I can't imagine many people I know that would have really been able to accept sitting thru such an unconventional movie, but it would be well worth everyone's time if they could look on it more as a piece of art in a museum, than just a day at the movies. Malick really is an amazing artist above all else.
Tallest1
Law Clerk

Postby cdouglas » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:37 am

Best film of the year thus far for me. Just a stunning cinematic experience; intensely emotional counterpoint to Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. It certainly inspired quite a few memories of my own childhood. It's rare for a film to demonstrate such grand ambition, and even more uncommon for films of such grand ambition to actually succeed. However, at least a dozen people walked out during my screening. It's certainly a polarizing flick.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:50 am

My thoughts from the 'July Watching' thread. Bottom line: hugely flawed but fascinating attempt at being both intimate and all-encompassing, and amazing to watch just because Malick (of whom I'm not a fan) deviates from his usual film language and shoots/edits this differently. The last 10 or so minutes before the credits are just embarrassing though, making it clear Sean Penn was cast just to have a marquee name on the title next to Brad Pitt's (who gives his best performance to date).
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Return to Movies