Your Oscar Host:

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Your Oscar Host:

Postby Jim_Thomas » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Eddie Murphy.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44412817/ns/today-entertainment/
w/ Brett Ratner producing.

I have no response to that.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Re: Your Oscar Host:

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:14 pm

*shrug*

I could see Eddie doing a decent job of hosting, the guy can be pretty level headed when he wants to be. It's not like this is an acting role.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby cdouglas » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:27 pm

It's fine with me as long as he isn't in a fat suit.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Actually Eddie could work out well. He has good improv skills from his stand up and SNL background plus he has acting background. Both should serve him well.

Eddie's problem has always been with writing and choosing good writing. Remember, not only has he done Pluto Nash he's also done Trading Places.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:17 pm

I agree that it pretty much comes down to whether or not he'll have the same writers as the other Oscar shows, and how much input he'll have on his material. This one could go either way.
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:38 pm

Last year's hosts were exactly what I'd always thought the Oscar Hosts should be - current, talented, and relevant actual movie stars, as opposed to random comedians who were outside the movie industry. Then Franco & Hathaway bombed so that went out the window.

At this point, I'm open to anybody. Once upon a time, Eddie Murphy was one of the most cutting-edge comedians out there. I have no idea what family-friendly Eddie Murphy is capable of.

So sure, let's give it a shot!
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby HGervais » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:11 pm

mavrach wrote:At this point, I'm open to anybody. Once upon a time, Eddie Murphy was one of the most cutting-edge comedians out there. I have no idea what family-friendly Eddie Murphy is capable of.

Mavrach, I'm not ragging on you....
If by cutting edge comic you mean owing your entire stand-up career to Richard Pryor & Redd Fox who blazed that trail for him 10/15 years before Murphy stepped in front of a mic. Sorry. Eddie Murphy was funny in his day but hardly cutting edge and the material pales in comparison to Pryor.
And really, the Oscars are so past their prime as an event bringing in a guy who hasn't done regular stand-up in over 20 years isn't going to make a bit of difference. If David Letterman & Jon Stewart were both tamed by the toothless comedy that is the Oscar writing staff, what chance does anyone think Murphy has?
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby mavrach » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:15 pm

HGervais wrote:
mavrach wrote:At this point, I'm open to anybody. Once upon a time, Eddie Murphy was one of the most cutting-edge comedians out there. I have no idea what family-friendly Eddie Murphy is capable of.

Mavrach, I'm not ragging on you....
If by cutting edge comic you mean owing your entire stand-up career to Richard Pryor & Redd Fox who blazed that trail for him 10/15 years before Murphy stepped in front of a mic. Sorry. Eddie Murphy was funny in his day but hardly cutting edge and the material pales in comparison to Pryor.
And really, the Oscars are so past their prime as an event bringing in a guy who hasn't done regular stand-up in over 20 years isn't going to make a bit of difference. If David Letterman & Jon Stewart were both tamed by the toothless comedy that is the Oscar writing staff, what chance does anyone think Murphy has?

That's ok, no disrespect taken. I can see what you're saying, but at least Murphy was basically the opposite of that you usually see out of the Oscars. But you're totally correct, the jokes are written like they're for the morning newscasters, as opposed to being for art awards.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:26 pm

I just saw a report that, following the departure of both Brett Ratner and Eddie Murphy, that Billy Crystal will host the next Oscar telecast. Can anyone confirm this?
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:40 pm

Billy Crystal? He does well at it but I still don't see why Murphy dropped out. Ratner was being an idiot, it has no reflection on the Oscars.

However I still think people care too much. why should Hank Williams Jr. lose his ESPN spot for being a hatemonger and why should we care that Ratner is a sad geek who wishes he could perv on more women. It's their life, let them live it. Discretion is nice but not compulsory.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby MovieAddict » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:23 pm

I'd like to see either William Shatner or Mel Brooks host the show.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
- C. S. Lewis
MovieAddict
City Attorney

Return to Movies