2011 Halloween Viewing thread

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

2011 Halloween Viewing thread

Postby molly1216 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:27 pm

anyone have their viewed planned yet?

I did dive into the Universal canon a little early but there's plenty left..
I like to buy a new halloween movie every year i just don't have my eye on one yet.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Re: 2011 Halloween Viewing thread

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:10 pm

molly1216 wrote:anyone have their viewed planned yet?

I did dive into the Universal canon a little early but there's plenty left..
I like to buy a new halloween movie every year i just don't have my eye on one yet.

I like to watch horror films I have yet to see each year, with only one or two old favs tossed in. So far this year, I have the following planned:

Villiage of the Damned (original)
Children of the Damned
Of Unknown Origin
House on Haunted Hill (original)
House On Haunted Hill 2 (sequel to the remake)
Psycho III
Psycho IV
The Serpent and the Rainbow
The Funhouse
Wolfen
White Zombie
The Oblong Box
Scream and Scream Again
Werewolf of Washington

Not sure what old favourites to pull out yet. Not even sure if I will get all of those titles in!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:27 pm

Forgot to include the following titles I have not seen but have ready to watch:

Season of the Witch
Let Me In
The Last Exorcism
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:39 pm

I think I'm going for more of an action horror style this year.

Resident Evil
Dawn of the Dead (Romero)
Day of the Dead (Romero)
Kick Ass

and the rest is sort of on a whim at the time so far. Netflix will probably recommend some.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Of Unknown Origin - Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than it has any right to be. The film is heavily flawed: the decent into obsessive maddness by our protagonist is a bit too quick, and the "happy" ending is totally wrong for the film, but there are some effective jump scares (and I was watching this in the middle of afternoon with the sun still out), and Peter Weller delivers one heck of a performance. Few actors manage to say so much by doing so little!

Tonight, I am rewatching Blade for our next episode of 24 Panels Per Second, the first of three Marvel films we are doing for October (Man-Thing and Ghost Rider are the next two). Here is our "preview post" http://24panelspersecond.blogspot.com/2011/09/preview-post-blade.html
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby stypee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:26 am

I got the first season of The Jersey Shore - they just handed it to me at the thrift store.. I started watching it last night.. The single, most frightening viewing experience I've ever had.

I couldn't sleep at all I'm afraid for our future.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:35 am

stypee wrote:I got the first season of The Jersey Shore - they just handed it to me at the thrift store.. I started watching it last night.. The single, most frightening viewing experience I've ever had.

I couldn't sleep at all I'm afraid for our future.

As a resident of New Jersey, I'd like to apologize for The Jersey Shore and remind you that not everybody in the state is like that. Please don't let this experience tarnish your views of this semi-lovely state.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby hoytereden » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:18 pm

Yesterday, courtesy of TCM:
A Night at the Movies-Stephen King-A ho-hum overview of what influenced King, scared him, didn't scare him, etc. Too few films were touched upon, too shortly to really hold my interest. Best part was King's opinions of the various filmings of his novels. He described The Shining as "a beautiful car with no engine." His differences with Kubrick were interesting.
Frankenstein-What can I say? Karloff's expressions and gestures speak loudly even though the creature is a mute. Had Lugosi gotten the role I don't think it would have worked.
Freaks-How in the world this ever got past Louie B. Mayer I'll never know! I know it was Thalberg's doing but even so...
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde ('31 version)-Even though I prefer the Spencer Tracy version I enjoy this one as well if only for the pre-code performance of Miriam Hopkins.
Mark of the Vampire-The sound remake of London After Midnight has tons of atmosphere and beautiful cinematography by James Wong Howe and a very menacing Lugosi and Carol Borland as his daughter Luna. Too bad they have no dialogue until the very end. Plus, at just over an hour running time, it's obvious some cutting was done before release. The production code made them drop the incestuous relationship angle between Vampire and daughter and the suicide of Lugosi's Count Mora even though the bloody head wound remains intact and is commented on but the cause is not. MGM should have made more horror films.
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari-Great film but in this digital age that persistent horizontal line that plays almost throughout the film needs to go.
Nosferatu-This is a title that belongs in the "What Horror Films Scare You?" thread for me. First time I saw it on a 8mm print I bought god knows when absolutely creeped me out. Had never seen any vampire even remotely that hideous. Never saw another one until the Barlowe clone in Salems' Lot and he creeped me out as well.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Blade I & II - Fun mainstays in my collection that I've seen a few times now. The first is a lot of fun, but this was my first time watching part II after discovering Guillermo Del Toro's body of work. Now that I recognize & appreciate his style, I enjoyed it a lot more. It's a great pairing with the Hellboy movies (those are up next!), whereas his Pan's Labyrinth & The Devil's Backbone would go well with each other. Cronos is a little of both!

Also these were made before the superhero genre became huge, so you can see a different formula. If this were made today, you'd see the first half of part 1 devoted to Blade learning his new powers. Instead, it just drops you right into the thick of the action. Compare that to the Spider-man reboot where we're going to have to sit through his origin all over again!

I'm going to pretend Blade III doesn't exist. It's Star Trek 5-bad.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:49 pm

The Monster Squad - This was one of my favorites when I was maybe 8 years old. I watched it to death back then, until declaring myself to be too old for it and "growing out of it" and not watching it again until the last DVD release a few years ago. Now I appreciate it a lot more and how it brings back a lot of the classic monsters.

Also it's a bit interesting seeing the kids swear so much. It seems shocking to see this, but frankly kids swear like that (much worse than that really) in real life, so it's refreshing to see that acknowledged onscreen, in a kids' movie no less. When I was 8 I didn't even notice the swearing because, yes, I swore just as much. Adults may not want to hear it, but the moment they turn their backs, the "f-words per minute rate" cranks up to be higher than The Big Lebowski.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby OperaGal » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:02 pm

I'm getting back to the old scary movie scene. And I'm loving Bela Lugosi!!! :D

Watched the 'Masters of Mayhem' DVD last week. First time I've seen any of the movies - the disc includes:

Horror Hotel (aka The City of the Dead) - This was much better than I'd expected. Christopher Lee was good and creepy.

The Bat - I've been meaning to catch up on the old Vincent Price movies. Found this one entertaining with a good cast too!

The Gorilla - Ah, my first experience with the Ritz Brothers. They seem to be a combo of the Three Stooges and the Marx Bros., minus the humour.
This one was really annoying and the only decent scenes were the Lugosi ones.
---
And watched a few more Lugosi movies over the weekend:

Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Black Cat
The Raven

Enjoyed all of these movies! Out of the three, I'd say my fave is 'The Raven'. Lugosi was awesome as the mad doctor creating all the 'Poe devices' in his house.
That one was the most gripping and fun. Can't wait to see it again soon...any of them are worth watching again!
"Jaws was never my scene - And I don't like Star Wars"
*My DVD Collection*
OperaGal
Paralegal

Postby hoytereden » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:32 pm

^^^^^^^^
Just about any Lugosi film is worth watching. Some of my favorites are the "poverty row" features he made for Monogram and PRC during the early-mid '40s. Try to catch White Zombie and the soon to be released Island of Lost Souls for Lugosi in his early '30s prime. For a change of pace with Lugosi as an action hero look for the serial The Return of Chandu. Good films; bad films, all highly watchable.
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:50 am

Robert Hiltzik's SLEEPAWAY CAMP (1983) on DVD. With the 'F This Movie' commentary track this was a freaking scream. Loved the experience of laughing at something I've held dear for a little less than 30 years. :lol:
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:20 am

Hellboy I Director's Cut & II - Just like the Blade series, this is another comic series that doesn't waste it's time with an origin story. Outside of that brief intro, it just throws us into the middle of their lives and lets us figure it out, with the assistance of an audience surrogate.

John Meyer does take up too much time in the first movie though, leaving us with just teases of all the fantastical characters. I wanted to spend more time getting to know Hellboy & Abe, instead it felt like a tease. Abe vanishes before the final act without warning and Hellboy takes out the baddie in the blandest way possible. But this is all a credit to the characters & performances, because if I'm aching for more then they've done something right.

Hellboy II gave me everything I wanted with the characters, so because this movie exists, the problems with Hellboy I are rectified, basically making it the intro.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:39 am

mavrach wrote:Hellboy I Director's Cut & II - Just like the Blade series, this is another comic series that doesn't waste it's time with an origin story. Outside of that brief intro, it just throws us into the middle of their lives and lets us figure it out, with the assistance of an audience surrogate.

John Meyer does take up too much time in the first movie though, leaving us with just teases of all the fantastical characters. I wanted to spend more time getting to know Hellboy & Abe, instead it felt like a tease. Abe vanishes before the final act without warning and Hellboy takes out the baddie in the blandest way possible. But this is all a credit to the characters & performances, because if I'm aching for more then they've done something right.

Hellboy II gave me everything I wanted with the characters, so because this movie exists, the problems with Hellboy I are rectified, basically making it the intro.

been thinking about the exposition intro on the 1st film..you are right that instead of making the 1st film an origin story, he compressed it to that lead in..however i appreciate how he made it do double duty by turning it into the VILLAINS origin story. nicely played.
the 1st one runs more like a studio comic book movie..the 2nd one they gave the director his head and THAT"S a Del Toro movie through and through.
nice double bagger.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:46 am

the frighteners dc
deep blue sea
the crazies
the Thing
Igor
Dracula
Hellboy 1
Hellboy II
Pitchblack
Dog Soldiers
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters 2
Black Sheep
Troll Hunter
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:18 am

I started watching "The Walking Dead" since it's been in the news. I'm not sold on it yet. The first episode felt too much like one of those 80s prime time soap operas for my taste. The pacing feels wrong also since important things are glossed over so we can watch a guy sit next to another guy for 5 minutes. I mean really. I get deliberate pacing like it was done in "Once Upon a Time in the West" but this show doesn't seem to have nailed it. I think this would have played better as an action show rather than a drama.

There's also an anime "Highschool of the Dead" which isn't horrible but not great. I've only seen half of the first episode so that tells you how compelling it is, however I do plan on watching more. Unlike WD mentioned above which if it doesn't seriously change in episode 2 will not be revisited. WD is a drag HoftD is mindless, but fun at the same time and sometimes that's enough. Sometimes that's all you want.

Based on the first episodes I give
Walking Dead - 60 out of 100 for poor pacing, unlikeable characters, and general bleh
Highschool of the Dead - 75 for glossing over important stories, unbalanced suspension of disbelief, yet maintaining a pleasant atmosphere.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:20 am

molly1216 wrote:been thinking about the exposition intro on the 1st film..you are right that instead of making the 1st film an origin story, he compressed it to that lead in..however i appreciate how he made it do double duty by turning it into the VILLAINS origin story. nicely played.

Agreed. That's another problem with the superhero movie formula of making the first movie an origin - The hero comes about at the exact same time that the villain does. Blade's & Hellboy's approaches are almost a slice of life out of their regular routines.

It's a good thing that Superman showed himself at the exact same time that a maniac tried to sink California into the ocean isn't it?? Thank god Luthor didn't try that a year earlier!
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:38 am

mavrach wrote:
molly1216 wrote:been thinking about the exposition intro on the 1st film..you are right that instead of making the 1st film an origin story, he compressed it to that lead in..however i appreciate how he made it do double duty by turning it into the VILLAINS origin story. nicely played.

Agreed. That's another problem with the superhero movie formula of making the first movie an origin - The hero comes about at the exact same time that the villain does. Blade's & Hellboy's approaches are almost a slice of life out of their regular routines.

It's a good thing that Superman showed himself at the exact same time that a maniac tried to sink California into the ocean isn't it?? Thank god Luthor didn't try that a year earlier!

I remember thinking that both Hellboy and the first Spiderman movie would have been better without a major villain. I know the studio suits would have thought it insane, but think about it. Spiderman needed time to learn his powers. There's a story in that alone. Having him emerge from scared boy to someone who fights vigilante style with normal villains would have been enough. Maybe give him a crime boss, but there was no need to bring in a super villain so soon. Same with Hellboy, but a little different. Actually I'm not as sure how that would have worked but the movie felt better to me when it was in the character study phase.

Another problem with comic book movies is that they play on a final action scene that is usually way overdone. The Hulk will fight some ugly creature for 20 minutes and is by far the worst of all of them. I get the idea but after 5 minutes of watching CG characters hit each other I'm ready to move on. It reminds me of the badly made Kung Fu movies where people would hit each other to the point that it would have killed them, then get up and fight some more.

Back on the original subject let me add that Dog Soldiers is great. I remember blind buying it when it came out for god knows why and everyone I forced it on loved it. It's rare that a traditional monster movie can do that.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:44 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:I remember thinking that both Hellboy and the first Spiderman movie would have been better without a major villain. I know the studio suits would have thought it insane, but think about it. Spiderman needed time to learn his powers. There's a story in that alone. Having him emerge from scared boy to someone who fights vigilante style with normal villains would have been enough. Maybe give him a crime boss, but there was no need to bring in a super villain so soon. Same with Hellboy, but a little different. Actually I'm not as sure how that would have worked but the movie felt better to me when it was in the character study phase.

Another problem with comic book movies is that they play on a final action scene that is usually way overdone. The Hulk will fight some ugly creature for 20 minutes and is by far the worst of all of them. I get the idea but after 5 minutes of watching CG characters hit each other I'm ready to move on. It reminds me of the badly made Kung Fu movies where people would hit each other to the point that it would have killed them, then get up and fight some more.

Back on the original subject let me add that Dog Soldiers is great. I remember blind buying it when it came out for god knows why and everyone I forced it on loved it. It's rare that a traditional monster movie can do that.

pray tell me WHY ANYONE would EVER produce another Superman Origin story? it's a waste of film.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby azul017 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:30 pm

molly1216 wrote:pray tell me WHY ANYONE would EVER produce another Superman Origin story? it's a waste of film.

If you followed the lawsuits the Siegel and Shuster heirs have been filing against WB to regain the Superman copyright, the partly-successful ruling mandated that WB "had to be in production on a new Superman movie by 2011" or they faced being sued for potential profit loss from the heirs. WB wasn't high on Superman Returns' reception to do a sequel, so a reboot was the best option.

Then February 2010, Christopher Nolan and David Goyer decided to approach WB about their take on Superman's origin. Then you get Zack Snyder directing and an even better cast than the 1978 movie -- I'm looking forward to Man of Steel. Not so excited about Amazing Spider-Man with a rail-thin Brit playing Peter Parker...
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:54 am

The Blade episode of 24 Panels Per Second is up on itunes for those who want to take a listen!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby stypee » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:54 pm

I'm really behind in my horror viewing in general which is sad because this is my expertise of all the genres.

I do have to recommend to you guys (again) a brilliant film that you may still be able to stream on Netlfix - Rubber - I've never scene anything like it.

Does anyone remember the 80's movie Nightmares? I believe Charlie Sheen was in it. It was sort of a cheesy Night Galleries type of flick.. I'm meaning to to see if I can find that.

I want to check out Hobo With a Shotgun - that looks charming.

I'm probably going to pop in Halloween (the now - nearly rare limited Anchor Bay edition before they messed it up with Divi-Max) for the millionth time.

I'd like to watch Nosferatu again, the original of course.

I am seeking out A Serbia Film - I know its being released here but I would like to see the Uncut Version.

I might pop in the blu-ray of The Exorcist -I really love that set, just have to avoid the new commentary but Friedkin. Its like watching an audio book.

I definately have to add Demons and Demons 2 - I just love those movies.

I am ashamed to admit that I do like the Hostel movies, especially the 2nd one. It had one of those very rare moments that just freaked the hell out of me - the infamous "hanging the girl over the naked chick over the bath tub as she slowly rips her apart while the blood flows over her" - that really made me squirm.

I'd like to check out House of the Devil - The Haunting (original) - Dark Night of The Scarecrow and I would love a copy of Night of the Lopus (sp) - come on, killer bunnies man. Red State is on my list and this Zombie flick I can never remember the name of, something to do with high school nerd kids or something. Oh yeah and the remake of Night of The Demons and although its not horror Night of the Comet with a touch of Alien and Howard Hawk's The Thing (from another world), to cap it off Driving Miss Daisy.

Hopefully I'll stick to all that.

Oh yeah and Scream 4!
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:08 pm

The Devil Bat-One of Lugosi's best bad films. A even cheaper remake of it was made a few years later as The Flying Serpent with George Zucco handling the Lugosi role.
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby Attrage » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:19 pm

I can't decide what to do this year. Previous years I have gone with marathons. One year it was the Omen trilogy. Next year Halloween I and II, next year the first 3 Friday the 13th's, then Romero's original Dead trilogy. Then last year I revisited ALL of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, even the atrocities of cinema that were Parts 5 and 6...so for this year I'm kinda stumped as to what to watch...
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:43 pm

Attrage wrote:I can't decide what to do this year. Previous years I have gone with marathons. One year it was the Omen trilogy. Next year Halloween I and II, next year the first 3 Friday the 13th's, then Romero's original Dead trilogy. Then last year I revisited ALL of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, even the atrocities of cinema that were Parts 5 and 6...so for this year I'm kinda stumped as to what to watch...

You could do like me. I'm letting Netflix and Hulu decide one, then have a favorite to go along with it.

Hulu says I'll like House- the asian movie. Not the show or horror / comedy
Netflix has a few zombie related ideas I haven't explored.

Always have a back up.

Crackle has a few also. The original Resident Evil is on there and worth a viewing.
-Marshall-
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:35 am

Let The Right One In - I highly recommend this to anybody who hasn't seen it, a completely unconventional vampire movie from Sweden. It moves at a nice slow pace, and then gets shockingly violent when it needs to be, much like the life of the vampire Eli in the movie. There's one underwater shot at the end that's got to be one of the most awesome & creative that I've seen.

I still need to get to the US remake Let Me In.

Troll Hunter - This was fun but I had higher expectations for this one. It had an interesting slant with using a mythological monster in the real world. It loses points for showing the final "big" troll breed on the DVD cover & promotional material, so we see that coming a mile away.

It mostly fell into the same hole that all of the "found footage" movies do. The genre was a creative idea initially, but I feel like I'm watching the same movie each time. The only one of these to knock my socks off was [REC]. And by nature of it being found footage, they all forecast an ending of EVERBODY DIES, so there are rarely any suprises.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:05 pm

Tonight's viewing

Old Dark House (1932)..classic screwball horror.strangely it turned out better than one expects...
Morgan's been at the bottle again! We make our own electric light here, and we are not very good at it. Pray, don't be alarmed if they go out altogether Have a potato....i need to put that on a t-shirt

Murder in the Zoo (1933)...gotta love a movie that starts with a guy getting his lips sewn together and thrown to tigers
and has a woman pushed over a railing into a Alligator pond...

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) I love Frederic March
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Bryan Pope » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:41 pm

stypee wrote:Does anyone remember the 80's movie Nightmares? I believe Charlie Sheen was in it. It was sort of a cheesy Night Galleries type of flick

Close. It was Emilio Estevez. Also, as I recall, Lance Henrickson, Richard Masur, Veronica Cartwright and Christina Raines.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Attrage » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:48 pm

Charlie Sheen did one in the 80's called Postmortem. Needless to say it's a pretty wretched film.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby mavrach » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:17 am

Insidious - This isn't like me at all, but I turned it off after 40 minutes because I was too creeped out. I found myself over-anticipating every shot, bracing myself for a forthcoming jump scare. There were a lot of handheld shots, so the camera kept moving. I was waiting for each shot to pan onto something jumping out at me, or a shot/reverse shot with a face appearing behinid somebody. It didn't help that the review here promised a scare similar to my avatar either.

It played off a lot of innate and even childish fears. A new & empty house, dark attics, new sounds in an unfamiliar place, something hiding in the closet or under the bed, or unclear shapes that look like faces.

That's what I get for starting a thread that asks everybody what their scariest movie is, then going for the one that gets the most votes.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Dan Mancini » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:36 am

mavrach wrote:It played off a lot of innate and even childish fears. A new & empty house, dark attics, new sounds in an unfamiliar place, something hiding in the closet or under the bed, or unclear shapes that look like faces.

Add to that parental anxieties and you'll understand why I found it a danged effective little horror flick.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:42 pm

molly1216 wrote:Tonight's viewing

Old Dark House (1932)..classic screwball horror.strangely it turned out better than one expects...
Morgan's been at the bottle again! We make our own electric light here, and we are not very good at it. Pray, don't be alarmed if they go out altogether Have a potato....i need to put that on a t-shirt

Murder in the Zoo (1933)...gotta love a movie that starts with a guy getting his lips sewn together and thrown to tigers
and has a woman pushed over a railing into a Alligator pond...

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) I love Frederic March

All great choices-Who needs chips and beer to watch? Gin and Potatoes all around!
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:51 pm

tonight's dinner

Slither...I'm Bill Pardy. unless you lived through 80s cinema you won't appreciate this to its fullest.

30 Days of Night to this day i still feel it was edited too much, there are sequences that just jump in time and leave you hanging..but it WAS damn good for what does get on the screen.

and if i am still hungry....changed my mind..i put in Hellboy II a little Mingola and a lot of Del Toro.

and now Sunday's dinner
Predators good, bad...adrien's cut.
30 Days of Night. bloody cold
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:02 am

House: Criterion (the '77 Japanese one) - Well that was completely insane. I'd expected the surrealism, but thought that might be to the point where I wouldn't be able to follow the story. Not the case. I had a lot of fun, and wondered what would happen next, not just in the story, but also in the style that it was told. It felt like a happy-go-lucky David Lynch.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:31 pm

a little stephen sommers fest
The Mummy - still a nice clean plot and servicable actors..
The MUmmy Returns - starting to wander out where the buses don't run...
Van Helsing - good god i forgot what a horrible mishmash this was... dracula babies? who greenlighted that?
it makes Deep Rising seem like a work of genius.

what's he butchering now? Koont's Odd Thomas and When world's collide i can't wait..at least they didn't give him the keys to Creature from Black Lagoon.

Mystery at the Wax museum...definitely not A grade..but the curtiz touch is quite clear and the set design is phenomenal. very german expressionistic...i do adore the banter which i will bet money was due to a ben hect rewrite.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:08 pm

I'm programming a Halloween film fest at the theater I direct at next week and here are the movies I plan on running:
Bubba Ho-tep
Below
Phantom of the Paradise
Near Dark
Rosemary's Baby
Halloween
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:29 pm

HGervais wrote:I'm programming a Halloween film fest at the theater I direct at next week and here are the movies I plan on running:
Bubba Ho-tep
Below
Phantom of the Paradise
Near Dark
Rosemary's Baby
Halloween

delicious...cept i never understood the appeal of Phantom of the Paradise...but it balances out.

this weekend
Murder by Decree i had forgotten that Alan Moore has used the same mcguffin for From Hell that was in Bob Clark's remarkably good film.
From Hell
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
The Hound of the Baskervilles
(tv version with Roxburgh)
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby HGervais » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:29 pm

I love Phantom of the Paradise and think it is Rocky Horror Picture Show except done right. It might also be my favorite Brian DePalma movie.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Postby mavrach » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:46 pm

The Stepfather - It's one step away from being a Lifetime movie.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby stypee » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:39 am

Satan Bakes A Birthday Cake

I love you.
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:57 am

HGervais wrote:I love Phantom of the Paradise and think it is Rocky Horror Picture Show except done right. It might also be my favorite Brian DePalma movie.

i guess i will have to seek it out. i think i saw it once when it was new.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby OperaGal » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:07 am

The Mummy (1932)
The Mummy (1959)
I really enjoyed both of these movies. Pretty much the same story, but also a bit different in their own way.
Karloff and Lee were both good in their roles. The movies were done very well too.

Started to watch Curse of the Crimson Alter (aka The Crimson Cult) - but just wasn't in the mood for it.
I'll finish watching it later sometime...
"Jaws was never my scene - And I don't like Star Wars"
*My DVD Collection*
OperaGal
Paralegal

Postby Dunnyman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:21 am

Focused on the classic Universal monsters so far, but went with more of the sequels:
Son Of Frankenstein, Just about ANY flick with Basil Rathbone is worth it and this is no exception as Karloff dons the makeup one more time and Lugosi is a hoot as Ygor. Also inspired 90% of Young Frankenstein, but I didn't know that until much later.
The Invisible Agent Not so much horror as sci-fi, but still fun as the serum helps us whoop Nazi ass.
The Invisible Woman Not so much horror as comedy, but a fun ride as our heroine defends us from the bad guys with wit and a nice set of (sometimes invisible) legs.
The Revenge Of the Creature Jack Arnold's direction saves this one as there's no characters to actually give a rat's ass about, unlike the first one.
Then, last night, after the ungodly horror that was the Raiders vs. the Chiefs I went to a movie watching party of horror stuff:
Halloween, the original, but at this point there's what? 34 versions of it? Still a great flick that never gets the credit for the most interesting feature in it, Carpenter's SCORE!!!!
Friday the 13th 3 3D Yee-haw, blood, gore and all kinds of odd objects being shown off in full 3D, way cool. The bikers getting hacked up is still a favorite Jason kill.
Then, my friend unveiled the most terrifying, horrifying film I have EVER had the misfortune to see. This film left me visibly shaking in terror, with images burned into my brain that will haunt my nightmares for months.
Can't Stop The Music Jesus H. Christ, why weren't the folks responsible for this sent up before the Hague? Just the "Starring the Village People & Steve Gutenberg" is enough to induce a full on body shiver. Not even a still hot Valerie Perrine could help this wretched mess. I don't remember 1979-80 to be that horrible, but maybe I was just a kid that didn't understand how close we'd come to the apocalypse.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Burson_Fouch » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:25 pm

Dunnyman wrote:Can't Stop The Music Jesus H. Christ, why weren't the folks responsible for this sent up before the Hague? Just the "Starring the Village People & Steve Gutenberg" is enough to induce a full on body shiver. Not even a still hot Valerie Perrine could help this wretched mess. I don't remember 1979-80 to be that horrible, but maybe I was just a kid that didn't understand how close we'd come to the apocalypse.

Please, CSTM, is disney compared to Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or Xanadu.
We intend to destroy all dogmatic verbal systems
W.S. Burroughs
Burson_Fouch
City Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:58 pm

Burson_Fouch wrote:
Dunnyman wrote:Can't Stop The Music Jesus H. Christ, why weren't the folks responsible for this sent up before the Hague? Just the "Starring the Village People & Steve Gutenberg" is enough to induce a full on body shiver. Not even a still hot Valerie Perrine could help this wretched mess. I don't remember 1979-80 to be that horrible, but maybe I was just a kid that didn't understand how close we'd come to the apocalypse.

Please, CSTM, is disney compared to Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or Xanadu.

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, despite the horrible plot,"acting", etc. The BeeGees and Frampton turned in some credible music, and Xanadu had both an excellent score AND Olivia at her hottest ever. Can't Stop The Music is just....dreck.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Burson_Fouch » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:21 pm

Dunnyman wrote:
Burson_Fouch wrote:

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, despite the horrible plot,"acting", etc. The BeeGees and Frampton turned in some credible music, and Xanadu had both an excellent score AND Olivia at her hottest ever. Can't Stop The Music is just....dreck.

Everybodies entitled to their opinion I suppose, but the SPLHCB movie has been pretty widely disparaged as being the epitome of late 70's souless descecration of the Beatles catalogue, although even I'm willing to admit the Aerosmith version of [b]Come Together[b] was decent.

ONJ was never hot nor cool...merely blandly mushy.
We intend to destroy all dogmatic verbal systems
W.S. Burroughs
Burson_Fouch
City Attorney

Postby mavrach » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:53 am

Rosemary's Baby - My first viewing. I wish I could've gone into this without knowing anything about the plot, because that would have been one hell of a chilling reveal at the end. Instead I was watching for all the little things being done to Rosemary, instead of wondering how much of it was her own paranoia. But it's a classic, so everybody who sees this knows she's having the child of Satan right from the start. Even the DVD box has some spoilers. I was born in 1980, so it's not my fault that I wasn't there to see this movie when it was released. This is like the old release of Planet of the Apes which had the Statue of Liberty on the cover art.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:06 pm

this week i have polished off quite a few

Arsenic and Old Lace
Cat-Women of the Moon
Idle Hands
Igor
It Came From Outer Space
Missile to the Moon

Sleepy Hollow
The Addams Family
The Addams Family Values
The Faculty
The Ghost and the Darkness
The Leopard Man
The Raven
The Seventh Victim
The Thing From Another World
Tremors
Van Helsing
Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Young Frankenstein
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Return to Movies