Empire's 1001 Greatest Movie Moments

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Empire's 1001 Greatest Movie Moments

Postby Attrage » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:16 am

Okay, I have in my hot little hands Empire magazine’s Top 1001 Greatest Movie Moments. Now, obviously I’m not going to list em all here but I thought I’d throw up the Top 20 for discussion?

1. The Crop Duster – North by Northwest
2. The Silhouette – ET
3. “Bond, James Bond” – Dr No
4. “You shall not pass!” – Fellowship of the Ring
5. The Bone – 2001: A Space Odyssey
6. “I love the smell of napalm in the morning” – Apoc Now
7. The mirage – Lawrence of Arabia
8. “I coulda been a contender” – On the Waterfront
9. The chariot race – Ben Hur
10. “Toto, I gotta feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore” – Wizard of Oz
11. “You talkin to me?” – Taxi Driver
12. “Here’s lookin at you, kid.” – Casablanca
13. the boulder – Raiders of the Lost Ark
14. “No. I am your father.” – Empire Strikes Back
15. The trevi fountain – La Dolce Vita
16. “Come out, come out, wherever you are.” – The Third Man
17. Dancin in the rain – Singin in the Rain
18. “I know it was you Fredo…” – Godfather II
19. The whisper – Lost in Translation
20. “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe…” - Bladerunner

Go to their website for the full list. Just thought this would be a good discussion starter :)
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
User avatar
Attrage
City Attorney
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: Empire's 1001 Greatest Movie Moments

Postby JoshRode » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:21 am

Hmm...I love me some Tolkien, but that seems a bit high on the list.
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
User avatar
JoshRode
City Attorney
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 5:13 pm

Re: Empire's 1001 Greatest Movie Moments

Postby Steve T Power » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:20 am

I actually think that list is pretty awesome, And I approve of the solid mix of new and old.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
User avatar
Steve T Power
Judge
 
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, CA

Re: Empire's 1001 Greatest Movie Moments

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:39 am

I'd put "no Mr. Bond, I expect you to die" higher on the list than "Bond, James Bond". The first is writing genius. Simplicity mixed with brilliance. The latter is just a clever hook that caught on.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
User avatar
mkiker2089
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:45 am
Location: Utopia

Re: Empire's 1001 Greatest Movie Moments

Postby Dan Mancini » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:57 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:I'd put "no Mr. Bond, I expect you to die" higher on the list than "Bond, James Bond". The first is writing genius. Simplicity mixed with brilliance. The latter is just a clever hook that caught on.

Go back and watch the latter as it appears in Dr No. It's utterly iconic...far more so than the Goldfinger line.
User avatar
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor
 
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:17 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Empire's 1001 Greatest Movie Moments

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:47 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:I'd put "no Mr. Bond, I expect you to die" higher on the list than "Bond, James Bond". The first is writing genius. Simplicity mixed with brilliance. The latter is just a clever hook that caught on.

Go back and watch the latter as it appears in Dr No. It's utterly iconic...far more so than the Goldfinger line.


Maybe my perspective is different having grown up with Roger Moore as Bond (who is my fav because of that, you can't escape your past). I've seen it and it was ok, but I don't see it on the same level as "smell of napalm in the morning" or "I don't think we are in Kansas anymore." To me the Bond line is more iconic because it's been repeated so often than anything in one particular movie.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
User avatar
mkiker2089
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:45 am
Location: Utopia

Re: Empire's 1001 Greatest Movie Moments

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:13 pm

I went to the website for the list, but it doesn't seem to be there. At least, not yet.

As for the top 20, I'd say that the opening shot of "Star Wars" (the Rebel Blockade Runner followed by the Inperial Star Destroyer) certainly should be on that list. I'd add it in place of the one from "Lost in Translation".
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor
 
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:38 am
Location: Piscataway, NJ

Re: Empire's 1001 Greatest Movie Moments

Postby Dan Mancini » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:18 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
Dan Mancini wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:I'd put "no Mr. Bond, I expect you to die" higher on the list than "Bond, James Bond". The first is writing genius. Simplicity mixed with brilliance. The latter is just a clever hook that caught on.

Go back and watch the latter as it appears in Dr No. It's utterly iconic...far more so than the Goldfinger line.


Maybe my perspective is different having grown up with Roger Moore as Bond (who is my fav because of that, you can't escape your past). I've seen it and it was ok, but I don't see it on the same level as "smell of napalm in the morning" or "I don't think we are in Kansas anymore." To me the Bond line is more iconic because it's been repeated so often than anything in one particular movie.

That line has been repeated so often precisely because that slow push-in shot of Connery in a white dinner jacket, lighting a cigarette and then delivering the line blew audience's faces off in the early '60s. It's one of the most iconic character introductions in the entire history of cinema -- if not the most iconic.

And my condolences on the Roger Moore thing. That's like admitting you were born without a soul. I grew up on Moore, too (The Spy Who Loved Me was the first 007 flick I saw), but I did escape my past; he's far and away my least favorite Bond (though he seems like a nice enough chap during interviews and such).
User avatar
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor
 
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:17 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Empire's 1001 Greatest Movie Moments

Postby JoshRode » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:47 am

Kenneth Morgan wrote:I went to the website for the list, but it doesn't seem to be there. At least, not yet.

As for the top 20, I'd say that the opening shot of "Star Wars" (the Rebel Blockade Runner followed by the Imperial Star Destroyer) certainly should be on that list. I'd add it in place of the one from "Lost in Translation".


Oh Lord, yes. The star destroyer just went on forever. Right up there with my favorite movie moments.
I'm just a horse, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love me.
- Andrew Forbes
User avatar
JoshRode
City Attorney
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 5:13 pm

Re: Empire's 1001 Greatest Movie Moments

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:44 pm

I just really don't see it. People are telling me this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nxG09xHhro is better than this? I say not on your life. The first is classic perhaps but it's just a name thrown out with a certain amount of narcissism. The second is genius in a diabolical way. I suppose it's just different perspectives however.

Roger Moore isn't the only Bond I watch ;) I actually like Brosnan and insist the movie scripts let him down, he never got to shine. Dalton was ok but too moody. Connery was great, but I liked the Moore era better because the gadgets. Lazenby was ok as well, but the movie was just too strange.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
User avatar
mkiker2089
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:45 am
Location: Utopia

Re: Empire's 1001 Greatest Movie Moments

Postby Attrage » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:54 pm

Kenneth Morgan wrote:I went to the website for the list, but it doesn't seem to be there. At least, not yet.

As for the top 20, I'd say that the opening shot of "Star Wars" (the Rebel Blockade Runner followed by the Inperial Star Destroyer) certainly should be on that list. I'd add it in place of the one from "Lost in Translation".


Oops. Sorry everyone my bad. The list is not on their website yet. Because it's in the latest issue they want people to y'know buy the magazine rather than look up the list online! (sneaky bay-studs! lol)
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
User avatar
Attrage
City Attorney
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: Empire's 1001 Greatest Movie Moments

Postby Polynikes » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Very surprised not to see the final shot of All Quiet on the Western Front on that list.
Polynikes
City Attorney
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Empire's 1001 Greatest Movie Moments

Postby Attrage » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:41 pm

JoshRode wrote:
Kenneth Morgan wrote:I went to the website for the list, but it doesn't seem to be there. At least, not yet.

As for the top 20, I'd say that the opening shot of "Star Wars" (the Rebel Blockade Runner followed by the Imperial Star Destroyer) certainly should be on that list. I'd add it in place of the one from "Lost in Translation".


Oh Lord, yes. The star destroyer just went on forever. Right up there with my favorite movie moments.

That is on the list, however just not in the top 20. The rest of the list is not in order of preference, it is split up into "themes", like "Best entrance by a villain/hero", best "i love you" moments, "best sci-fi moments" etc, the Star Destroyer scene is in the best special FX shots part.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
User avatar
Attrage
City Attorney
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: Empire's 1001 Greatest Movie Moments

Postby Bryan Pope » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:06 am

mkiker2089 wrote:I just really don't see it. People are telling me this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nxG09xHhro is better than this? I say not on your life. The first is classic perhaps but it's just a name thrown out with a certain amount of narcissism. The second is genius in a diabolical way. I suppose it's just different perspectives however.

Permit me to suggest a third contender, one that dares to pull the focus away from Bond: Ursulla Andress emerging from the surf in Dr. No.

Okay, so maybe not. But dang is that a good scene.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
User avatar
Bryan Pope
Judge
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:44 am
Location: Texas

Re: Empire's 1001 Greatest Movie Moments

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:32 am

Bryan Pope wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:I just really don't see it. People are telling me this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nxG09xHhro is better than this? I say not on your life. The first is classic perhaps but it's just a name thrown out with a certain amount of narcissism. The second is genius in a diabolical way. I suppose it's just different perspectives however.

Permit me to suggest a third contender, one that dares to pull the focus away from Bond: Ursulla Andress emerging from the surf in Dr. No.

Okay, so maybe not. But dang is that a good scene.


Actually I will give you that. It epitomizes the Bond girl aspect.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
User avatar
mkiker2089
County Attorney
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:45 am
Location: Utopia


Return to Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests

cron