DEC(ide2rem)EMBER(thejoyof)WATCHING(moviesin)2011(thread)‏

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

DEC(ide2rem)EMBER(thejoyof)WATCHING(moviesin)2011(thread)‏

Postby J.M. Vargas » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:30 pm

Just got back from my yearly AZ Thanksgiving vacation with the folks. Didn't watch as many movies with my father and his wife as in previous years (family issues) but it was fun playing with/running after two huge dogs (Airdale Terrier Oorangs), getting my butt sore from riding bicycles (it still hurts to sit/stand) and staying up all night with a 52" Samsung LCD. :D

Robert Bresson's AU HASARD BALTHAZAR (1966) on Criterion DVD for the first time. ''Mouchette' with a donkey' aptly sums up this predecessor (made the year before "Mouchette") except that, unlike a real human with the ability to think and rationalize (even a beat-down-and-defeated girl like Mouchette had the will to make/reject advances and had choices), the plight of an animal whose fate and taken-for-granted presence isn't noticed or cared for by anybody except Bresson's camera (and thus us as spectators) ends up having a little more emotional impact. As in "Mouchette" though (and yes, I realize I've made four references to it in the first two sentences) the fact the star of the movie is often relegated to secondary-status to the events/characters around him both grounds the narrative in reality (we don't notice what we miss until its missing) and the cruel hand of fate (François Lafarge's Gérard beating and picking the donkey almost at will even though its never his) asserting over Balthazar's life. Although Anne Wiazemsky is technically the star of the movie (her Marie character is way too passive and self-centered, though I guess that's the point Bresson would want to get across) Philippe Asselin delivers the most interesting performance as a rural man too proud and stubborn to do what's easy over what he perceives as morally correct. Can't say I loved "Au Hasard Balthazar" but, like "Mouchette" (reference #5!), it's the type of movie that stays with you long after its watched.

For a laugh (or to cure insomnia, take your pick) check out the vintage hour-long French featurette from 1966 about the film that (a) shows all the key scenes (including the ending!) and (b) profiles talking heads that clearly look like they wish were anywhere else but where they were at that moment.

George Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD (1979) on DVD. Saw the three versions in Anchor Bay's monster four-disc set because I knew I wanted to see this one with my folks but wanted to make sure which one. Surprisingly the 'European' version (i.e. Dario Argento's cut), despite sucking the fun and subtle criticism of consumer culture in Romero's other two versions, is the one that moves fastest of the three versions (duh, it's the shortest) and has the most 'missing' footage (incidental shots of looting and dismemberments, nothing major but just a ton of quick shots that add-up) plus wall-to-wall operatic Goblin music that's at odds with the movie's low-budget charm. Weird that the actors were given this version to do their commentary track on since it's the one that makes them look less important as characters. The 'Extended Version' is just a little more bloody than the theatrical one plus has an extended subplot involving looting cops before our heroes board their helicopter (who cares?) plus a few subtle changes (background music when Flyboy joins the soldiers as they run through the department store for the first time) that you'd only notice if you had just watched the previous versions. Very nice of producer Richard P. Rubenstein to spill production secrets in the commentary track (like the budget being a little over $650K, which he inflated to $1.5 million in the sales pitches to distributors to make it seem like a bigger production) but the price for Rubenstein's candor are endless plugs and mentions for the then-new 2004 Zack Snyder remake of "Dawn of the Dead" (yawn).

Other than a handful of money shots missing (especially the zombie on the ground with a machete through his throat) the 'Theatrical' cut of "Dawn" is just about perfect. So, the day I planned to show the movie to my folks, I made it a point to ask them to walk with me through the mall where the Barnes & Noble store is located (for the 50% sale) and soak-up the atmosphere. Since neither of us frequents malls anymore they were perplexed. We had also planned to go to a target range to fire some guns (they're licensed) but we just ran out of time. When we finally saw "Dawn..." that night they were amused at how unbelievable the premise was and just how cheap the effects were (the first exploding head elicited 'that's not very good' comments) and the whole criticism of consumer culture pretty much went over their heads (although my old man at least 'got it' afterwards). Basically they enjoyed "Dawn..." as a big rollercoaster goof that would have been unbearable had it been realistic (see below). At least they'll never see a shopping mall the same way again... I think. ;-)

Romero's DAY OF THE DEAD (1985) on DVD. Saw this on my own (too much gore/guts for my folks to handle I think) and, frankly, have grown to like it a little more than "Dawn" and the original "Night." It's a super-slow burn until the bloody goods show up or Richard Liberty's loony doctor walks in and out of a scene. When the s*** finally hits the fan the limited (though spectacularly convenient) location and average acting are worth the gory punchlines. I'd seen the movie before but this was the first time that I realized that it was "Martin's" John Atlas as one of the nerdy scientists. There's something so gratifying about seeing (and buying) that Bub (Sherman Howard) learns to handle guns and has the metaphorical final word on the fate of Rhodes (Joe Pilato), whose gruesome fate is matched by both the common sense of his thinking (until he turns tail and leaves his men behind) and the intensity of the actor in making his character such an unlikable SOB. Plus, as Romero has proven in his contemporary 'Dead' trilogy ("Land/Diary/Survivor"), there's a timeless "Star Wars"-like aura over the 1967-1985 trilogy (each one capturing its decade's social mores and anxieties) that will forever anchor "Day of the Dead" as a fine and aging wine of zombie filmmaking. And sue me, I even like John Harrison's Casio-like score.

Stuart Gordon's FROM BEYOND (1986) on DVD with the commentary track. Any time you get Gordon on a commentary track with someone else it's usually a party (as opposed to Stuart doing the commentary solo, which usually results in a professorial tone at odds with the subject matter). When you team Gordon up with the stars and producer of "Re-Animator" to talk about an H.P. Lovecraft adaptation soaked with rubber prosthetics and a psycho-sexual vibe though, the result is pure cinephile geek love. "From Beyond" is great or what it is (above-average, semi-literate low-budget horror) but the commentary track on the DVD goes... wait for it... above and beyond reproach! :o

James L. Brooks' BROADCAST NEWS (1987) on Criterion Blu-ray. Saw this one with my folks. The year before I showed them "Network" which my father liked but put his wife to sleep. This year's selection was meant to cover the same ground (satire of network TV news) with a new twist (a likable lead character representing the death of standards in TV journalism), but also to put my father to sleep while his wife stayed wide awake at the romantic comedy hijinks. Alas, both ended up wide awake and liking the movie a lot. Since they had no idea who the actors were (not even Holly Hunter) my father never perceived Albert Brooks' Aaron as ugly or William Hurt's Tom as the romantic lead (though his wife did since she's more familiar with the romantic comedy genre) so everything that happened pretty much surprised him. Now evey time he watches TV news dad's hoping to catch an anchorman sweating profusely. And someone please send James Brooks an e-mail with the good news: my father and his wife LIKED the ending! Yes, they're probably the first two people that have seen "Broadcast News" and like the way it ends. That counts as 'news' on a slow day, doesn't it? ;-)

Woody Allen's CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS (1989) on DVD. Third and last movie I saw with my folks. It was either this or "Manhattan Murder Mystery" but, when my dad told me he didn't remember seeing "Annie Hall" with me the year before (ahem, ahem!), it made my choice much easier. Short and sweet: they loved it and laughed/cringed during the right moments, but to me it became clear on repeat viewing that the Martin Landau storyline is the tentpole on which "Crimes and Misdemeanors" relies for practically all its dramatic tension. Take Judah's story away and the remaining storylines (Allen spatting with brother-in-law Alan Alda, Mia Farrow undecided, etc.) don't add up to much unless they're interjecting with Judah's plight to get rid of his mistress (cast-against-type Anjelica Huston), especially the inspired next-to-final scene in which Landau's and Woody's characters finally get to share a scene. My dad's wife recognized Daryl Hannah in a brief cameo which, according to IMDB, was part of a much different movie that Allen was shooting before he improvised/edited his way into shaping this masterpiece. Easily one of the top 5 movies Woody has done, in my and my father's humble opinion (even though he's only seen two Woody Allen movies!).

MST3K #515: THE WILD, WILD WORLD OF BATWOMAN (1993/1966) on Amazon Prime. I know I've seen this MST3K experiment before because I remembered a few moments (that "kiss" at the end, the out-of-nowhere Chinese guy speaking, Tom Servo's angry/desperate 'EEEEEENNNNDDDD' screams, etc.) plus I own it on Rhino-issued VHS. But damn if this isn't one of those 'black hole' episodes so persistenly bad (low-fi sound, boring B&W framing except for the couple of shots stolen from "The Mole People," endless dancing shots to pad the length, etc.) that you struggle to remember it just minutes after finishing it because your subconscious is trying to protect your mind from being permanently warped by its badness. I used to think of #513's "The Brain That Wouldn't Die" as Mike Nelson's on-the-job baptism of fire, but this monstruosity three episodes into his tenure as satellite of love human prisoner is by far worst. Occasionally funny if you can stay awake long-enough to apprecaite the riffs.

CINEMATIC TITANIC: SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS (2008/1964) & THE ALIEN FACTOR (2009/1977) on DVD. Still puzzled why the Titans decided to re-riff a classic and beloved "MST3K" experiment like "SCCTM" if they weren't going to be able to top the original (which they don't even come close to doing). On repeat viewing the 'new' riffs are still merely OK, and memories of the classic "MST3K" lines impossible to forget. "The Alien Factor" was just the opposite though, a crap 70's movie with a crap 70's print with crap actors that just keeps getting funnier and more exotic the more I rewatch it (specially the many little laughs the Titans indulge within their own private amusement). You just can't go wrong with alien killer zoology on the loose and a small rural American town with the only two-door vehicle in law enforcement history. :lol:
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Re: DEC(ide2rem)EMBER(thejoyof)WATCHING(moviesin)2011(thread)‏

Postby Attrage » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:05 am

So far I havent watched anything in December yet, but I wanted to be the first to say awesome title for this thread. I like it :)

And I'll jump the gun and say I am going to watch something tonight. Probably Superman actually, but I havent decided yet.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:52 am

I haven't watched anything in December either except some soccer matches and the previous couple of weeks' worth of "Dexter" and "The Walking Dead" TV episodes. Most of the stuff above was watched over Thanksgiving and this past weekend, but I was away from computers so didn't have time to write anything up. Lucky I guess; enjoy "Superman." ;-)
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Andrew Forbes » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:46 pm

Attrage wrote:I wanted to be the first to say awesome title for this thread.

Please don't encourage him.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:49 pm

For next month, you should try to make a word out of every letter in the word January.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Bryan Pope » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:30 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:
Attrage wrote:I wanted to be the first to say awesome title for this thread.

Please don't encourage him.

+1
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:37 pm

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - Watched both parts one after the other. This is the closest the movies have been to a book since Philosopher's Stone and Chamber Of Secrets but Yates' directions is much less pedestrian than Columbus'. IMHO the movies are as successful and as flawd as the book. The first part is a little on the slow side but it gives us time to explore the Hermione/Ron/Harry triangle and Spoilers Dobby's death is very moving. The second one feels a little too rushed with major character deaths that barely register but the final battle is suitably epic and Snape's backstory is treated well.

Lord Of The Flies (1963) - Another faithful adaption of a famous book. This one filmed in black and white, on a low budget and with inexperienced actors which all combines to give it a documentary feel and to make the horror of the story that much more vivid. Makes me interested in checking ou the rest of Peter Brook's filmography.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Attrage » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:30 am

J.M. Vargas wrote:Romero's DAY OF THE DEAD (1985) on DVD. Saw this on my own (too much gore/guts for my folks to handle I think) and, frankly, have grown to like it a little more than "Dawn" and the original "Night." It's a super-slow burn until the bloody goods show up or Richard Liberty's loony doctor walks in and out of a scene. When the s*** finally hits the fan the limited (though spectacularly convenient) location and average acting are worth the gory punchlines. I'd seen the movie before but this was the first time that I realized that it was "Martin's" John Atlas as one of the nerdy scientists. There's something so gratifying about seeing (and buying) that Bub (Sherman Howard) learns to handle guns and has the metaphorical final word on the fate of Rhodes (Joe Pilato), whose gruesome fate is matched by both the common sense of his thinking (until he turns tail and leaves his men behind) and the intensity of the actor in making his character such an unlikable SOB. Plus, as Romero has proven in his contemporary 'Dead' trilogy ("Land/Diary/Survivor"), there's a timeless "Star Wars"-like aura over the 1967-1985 trilogy (each one capturing its decade's social mores and anxieties) that will forever anchor "Day of the Dead" as a fine and aging wine of zombie filmmaking. And sue me, I even like John Harrison's Casio-like score.

Couldnt agree more actually. I like all three of the 'original trilogy' as it has come to be known, but DAY is the one I find myself returning to most often. I like the nihilistic quality of it, and having said, I dont find the "upbeat" ending out of place at all. After such a relentlessly grim film, it's actually a welcome end I think
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Attrage » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:40 am

New Jack City - Man oh man, what happened to Wesley Snipes? He's a freakin powerhouse of talent in this, and he had some not minor success in the Blade films...so how did he wind up relegated to the straight-to-video crowd?

Anyway. I like this movie. Hadnt seen it in ages. Although it falls prey to the cop-movie-cliches a few too many times (grumpy by-the-book Lieutenant, cops who dont play by the rules but get the job done, caricature Mafia guys, yadda yadda) it still holds up well I think. The NYC location shooting is pretty sweet, I like the long tracking shots over rooftops and the long zoom in on the (Brooklyn?) Bridge. I think the place where the film falls down is that it tries just a little bit too hard to be another Scarface, or Godfather-type crime saga, but that storyline is interspersed with run-of-the-mill action movie shootouts and dialogue. It sort of feels like the film can't quite decide which it wants to be.

But that aside, I really enjoyed it even aftre all these years. I mean, does it get any better than Ice T pointing a gun at someone and saying "I wanna shoot you so bad...my dick's hard." ??
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby stypee » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:25 am

SCRE4M - Either I'm really becoming an old grumpy bastard or my tastes have finally matured. I love horror films, I love bad films, you name it, I'll watch it. This was really, really unbearable. I just could not sit through the rest of it. It was boring the crap out of me and this after 51 minutes. The acting was horrid and I knew exactly what Craven and Williamson were doing but I felt as if I were being overly mocked. The "inside jokes" didn't work, I didn't find anything scary about it and everything just felt so forced. I was a big fan of the franchise but now, oh man, its just horrid. I dived into the net to check out some reviews - I think Roger Ebert was the only one who agreed with me. Are they paying film critics to give positive reviews? I know its been done before but its almost now so than ever. I read so many positive ones it was hard to believe the critics actually felt it was good. Craven, a director I've always admired had direction that felt like he called it all in. The only clever part of what I saw out of those 51 minutes was the first 10 minutes. I thought "this is a great idea, this is going to be a really fun movie" the pay off to that "great idea" sucked so bad. Man, please, stop it already, I've had enough says this observer.

Crazy, Stupid, Love - I am a sap. I love movies like this and I really enjoyed this one. My only gripe was I couldn't really understand the back-story behind the "suave guy who changes the loser guy's life". His introduction into the movie just didn't come off well. At first it felt like he was this dude who was going to start making Correl pay for his services of this evolution. The explanation of his wealth was even a little limp, I wanted to know more about the guy - I felt it was a poorly written character aside from it being played very well.. That being said, I would really recommend it if you haven't seen it, despite that flaw and some minor ones here and there - i.e. the youngest daughter whose just sort of "there" - its a fun and sweet little movie.

Tree of Life - I love Malick but unfortunately I wasn't in the mood to use my brain so I shut it off after 20 minutes. I will watch it from start to finish - it looks gorgeous. I figured out the reasons why the movie should be played at such a loud volume, you can't hear any of the voice overs or the dialoge without the volume turned up. Why is everyone speaking at such low volume? I do look forward to seeing it.

That Uwe Boll movie that was actually really, really good - dammit what was it called? The one with the journalists in Africa that witness the horrible atrocities? Anyway, I was really, really impressed. The movie had balls. Some will call it over the top graphic and the over use of the camera shaking all over the place was a bit too much (a sign of lazy direction in my opinion) but aside from that it was made quite well and brutally honest.There is likely argument on the negative ways Arabs are depicted but I guess it had to be that way or it just wouldn't have worked. They tossed one scene in there where one of the Arabs couldn't bring himself to burn down a hut, I guess that was an attempt at compensating their brutality. Many may call it exploitation, especially coming from this director but I must say it was raw, honest and well acted. Thumbs up - dude actually shows a little promise. I understand he has another movie Rampage[/b] is it called? That's also supposed to be really good and than after that he went to making crap again - I don't get the guy - maybe its like a new type of filmmaker. Make a bunch of crap and hit them with some really good ones.

[b][b]You Again
[/b] - well, its a little funny, mindless with a dab of cute and even with the subject matter it has a little sweetness to it but overall it feels like a lifetime movie. That being said, I enjoyed it.

I saw others but my brain is passing gas right now....
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby Polynikes » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:44 pm

World Trade Centre. I used to think it would be impossible to make a boring film about such an extraordinary man as Alexander the Great, and a thoughtless, unmoving one about the events of 11 September 2001, but Oliver Stone has proved me wrong on both occasions. I can see why the families of some of those depicted disassociated themselves completely from this film. I know World Trade Centre is intended to have an optimistic message, and is more of a pure drama than the docu-drama style of United 93, but in my view it is not in the same league as the latter, which I found genuinely moving. In WTC, I found myself thinking about why the film seemed to pay little attention to the thousands who actually died (or indeed their families as well as those of the two police officers). The victims of that day deserve better than this.

Hombre. Over the years, I have tried to watch this Paul Newman Western on several occasions when I have seen it in the TV schedules, but I have never managed to see it from start to finish, because of interruptions. However, piecing the various viewings together, this is a fine Western, in which the central theme of the treatment of the Apache by the "civilised" white folk is set out uncompromisingly but without descending into triteness or patronising sentiment (Paul Newman's character is not a one-dimensional "noble savage" and he displays callousness in the film). I vow to see it uninterrupted from start to finish one day.

Kingdom of Heaven. I don't think this deserved some of the fierce panning it received, but much as I loved Gladiator, this was patchy by comparison. As ever, Ridley Scott's direction of battle scenes was top notch, but the film was hamstrung by a plot, in which historical, cultural and dramatic absurdities abounded, and by characters whose fate I really found uninvolving. In Gladiator, Russell Crowe's fall from general to gladiator was far-fetched, but at least it was just about plausible enough to enable me to suspend disbelief and enjoy the film for what it was - a tale of implacable determination for revenge/justice/honour etc. However, I could not suspend disbelief when it came to Orlando Bloom's swift metamorphosis from village blacksmith to warrior to leader of great armies for no apparent reason and with no experience of war either. Then too, much as I enjoy the lovely sight of Eva Green, unfortunately Eastern royalty just did not behave that way. It was also funny to see Orlando Bloom teaching middle Eastern people how to find water, as if the possibility of digging for it would never have occurred to them. The film was nice to look at, but my response to the characters was one of casual interest, not complete immersion.
Polynikes
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Polynikes wrote:
Kingdom of Heaven. I don't think this deserved some of the fierce panning it received, but much as I loved Gladiator, this was patchy by comparison. As ever, Ridley Scott's direction of battle scenes was top notch, but the film was hamstrung by a plot, in which historical, cultural and dramatic absurdities abounded, and by characters whose fate I really found uninvolving. In Gladiator, Russell Crowe's fall from general to gladiator was far-fetched, but at least it was just about plausible enough to enable me to suspend disbelief and enjoy the film for what it was - a tale of implacable determination for revenge/justice/honour etc. However, I could not suspend disbelief when it came to Orlando Bloom's swift metamorphosis from village blacksmith to warrior to leader of great armies for no apparent reason and with no experience of war either. Then too, much as I enjoy the lovely sight of Eva Green, unfortunately Eastern royalty just did not behave that way. It was also funny to see Orlando Bloom teaching middle Eastern people how to find water, as if the possibility of digging for it would never have occurred to them. The film was nice to look at, but my response to the characters was one of casual interest, not complete immersion.

Was it the Director's cut that you watched? A lot of the patchy character work really disappears in that version. Historical inaccuracies and psychological anachronisms still abound, but Ridley builds a convincing enough world, that like Gladiator, it convinces you to stick around anyway.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby mavrach » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:05 am

Good Night, and Good Luck - A quality movie, but I'm not sure I'd ever watch it again. It's more about my personal tastes, it was a little dry for me. But it presents an important event about our history and a figure like Edward R Murrow deserves his own movie.

Black Orpheus - Absolutely energetic, I was dancing in my seat after a couple of scenes. An interesting locale to retell a Greek myth, though a bit forced in a few areas.

The Constant Gardener - I keep chuckling to myself thinking about a GetGlue commentor that said "Dude won't stop gardening!!" :lol: The review here got me thinking. I've seen a few movies recently about Africa (The Last King of Scotland, Blood Diamond and this), and they all focus on a white person who visits that land. All good movies, but a little irksome after a while. I guess they're afraid of an "urban" label if they don't have somebody we can relate to. But I digress, this is indeed a quality movie. Rachel Wiess is a scene stealer too.

The Brothers Grimm - Terry Gilliam isn't at full blast here, but weak Gilliam still makes for a good movie. This felt confined to a few small locales, presumably from a weakened budget. It would have benefitted from being a bit more epic. This played like "The Brothers Grimm in Love," with sly references to each of their writings. Gilliam's strength has always been his imaginative visuals, and they're at play here. Brazil this ain't, but I had fun with it.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - I have no good reason for this, but this one actually held my attention. It's definitely terrible, there's nothing learnt here that we didn't already figure out in X2, popular mutants are shoehorned in with limited screentime, and there are notable loose ends that don't line up with the first X-Men movie. At least I wasn't banging my head against the wall like I was with X-Men United's plot developments. Perhaps it's a case of lowered expectations, but this was enjoyable.

So yeah, Good Night, and Good Luck is a good movie that I didn't like so much, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a bad movie that I enjoyed.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Attrage » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Steve T Power wrote:
Polynikes wrote:

Was it the Director's cut that you watched? A lot of the patchy character work really disappears in that version. Historical inaccuracies and psychological anachronisms still abound, but Ridley builds a convincing enough world, that like Gladiator, it convinces you to stick around anyway.

Ridley Scott says that the theatrical cut is like an extended trailer for Kingdom of Heaven. I couldn’t put it any better. Definitely see the DC. Changed my opinion totally on the film, I found the theatrical cut hard to follow and disjointed. After seeing the DC it now sits comfortably among my favourite films of all time. This is what Director’s Cuts should be.
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby mavrach » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Another vote here for the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven. I never bothered with the theatrical cut, but I can tell you that the director's cut ranks as one of Ridley Scott's best movies.

Rio Bravo - Another tough nut to crack for me. Maybe it's because the westerns I've enjoyed are more modern, violent and gritty. The tone of these older westerns, along with every bad impression of John Wayne I've seen (this is only my second Wayne movie after Stagecoach), makes it difficult for me to connect with these. I did like Dude's character arc, the most endearing part of the movie. I still have The Searchers and the original True Grit on my list, so I shall continue plugging away at these!

Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace - My second viewing of the first, first time seeing the sequel. I liked both for different reasons. Casino Royale of course was the intended reboot of the series. It brought everything back down to earth, no silly jokes, unrealistic gadgets, CGI stunts, pun-names, etc, all gone to bring us a realistic spy movie that centered around finance as opposed to an attempt to ignite WWIII or harness a space laser weapon or such. The last half hour is notably awkward, though maybe it tells us why the Bond girl is never around for the next movie each time ;-)

I was suprised to see Quantum of Solace fall back into a more "movie-like" spy flick. It hardly got to the point of pigeons doing double-takes, but it does look like they're trying to strike a balance between realism and fun. Daniel Craig's performance keeps the character grounded, no matter what chases he gets involved in.

And the only way to keep my insane geeky mind from imploding at this point is to embrace the unofficial fan theory that the name of James Bond is simply a code name given to multiple agents. They do establish that Mathis was just a code name. And I get that they wanted to keep Judi Dench as M because she's been one of the best additions to the series but keeping her shows a continuity. Add all the cell phones and modern gadgetry and you've got me convinces that these are different agents.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:51 pm

mavrach wrote:Rio Bravo - Another tough nut to crack for me. Maybe it's because the westerns I've enjoyed are more modern, violent and gritty. The tone of these older westerns, along with every bad impression of John Wayne I've seen (this is only my second Wayne movie after Stagecoach), makes it difficult for me to connect with these. I did like Dude's character arc, the most endearing part of the movie. I still have The Searchers and the original True Grit on my list, so I shall continue plugging away at these!

If you're having trouble warming up to Rio Bravo, skip The Searchers and True Grit for the moment. You'll want to watch a movie called The Cowboys, then The Shootist. When Wayne is old (dignified old, not Rooster Cogburn old), he's at his best. His real charm and warmth come through, with a minimum of mannerisms. Then jump back to one with a younger Wayne playing old (She Wore a Yellow Ribbon). Then watch The Long Voyage Home. That's got a very young Wayne playing an almost timid character at times (with a Swedish accent, no less). Once you've seen these unforced performances, his broader, bolder characters are easier to take.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Andrew Forbes wrote:
mavrach wrote:Rio Bravo - Another tough nut to crack for me. Maybe it's because the westerns I've enjoyed are more modern, violent and gritty. The tone of these older westerns, along with every bad impression of John Wayne I've seen (this is only my second Wayne movie after Stagecoach), makes it difficult for me to connect with these. I did like Dude's character arc, the most endearing part of the movie. I still have The Searchers and the original True Grit on my list, so I shall continue plugging away at these!

If you're having trouble warming up to Rio Bravo, skip The Searchers and True Grit for the moment. You'll want to watch a movie called The Cowboys, then The Shootist. When Wayne is old (dignified old, not Rooster Cogburn old), he's at his best. His real charm and warmth come through, with a minimum of mannerisms. Then jump back to one with a younger Wayne playing old (She Wore a Yellow Ribbon). Then watch The Long Voyage Home. That's got a very young Wayne playing an almost timid character at times (with a Swedish accent, no less). Once you've seen these unforced performances, his broader, bolder characters are easier to take.

Thanks for the advice. I'll add those in the recommended order.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:47 pm

Tucker and Dales vs evil... i like it..but i didn't love it...i think this is a film i will revisit in the future when i am in a better mood i may love it..just not sure yet. i will say this...the netflix rental has all the bonus features available...and listening to the very funny commentary and watching the outtakes makes a huge difference. if these features were blocked as they are on most of the other dvds i wouldnt even have liked this film as much as i do. blocking the features from a rental copy is stupid and damaging.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:02 pm

molly1216 wrote:Tucker and Dales vs evil... i like it..but i didn't love it...i think this is a film i will revisit in the future when i am in a better mood i may love it..just not sure yet. i will say this...the netflix rental has all the bonus features available...and listening to the very funny commentary and watching the outtakes makes a huge difference. if these features were blocked as they are on most of the other dvds i wouldnt even have liked this film as much as i do. blocking the features from a rental copy is stupid and damaging.

I loved it when I caught it a few months back, but if you've seen the trailer, don't bother. It's one of those flicks where the trailer is essentially just a compressed version of the film that ruins all the good bits.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:25 am

Steve T Power wrote:
molly1216 wrote:Tucker and Dales vs evil... i like it..but i didn't love it...i think this is a film i will revisit in the future when i am in a better mood i may love it..just not sure yet. i will say this...the netflix rental has all the bonus features available...and listening to the very funny commentary and watching the outtakes makes a huge difference. if these features were blocked as they are on most of the other dvds i wouldnt even have liked this film as much as i do. blocking the features from a rental copy is stupid and damaging.

I loved it when I caught it a few months back, but if you've seen the trailer, don't bother. It's one of those flicks where the trailer is essentially just a compressed version of the film that ruins all the good bits.

I agree with that..once you grasp that it's a satire on the genre, you can write the rest of the movie in your head
but i DO think the film would be ideal for a group rewatch as long as there is alcohol and audience response tossed in.
It's not Sam Ramii good because it doesn't do anything in a unique manner but it's heart is in the right place.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:00 am

WUSA (1970) on Showtime-HD for the first time. Paul Newman leads an ensemble cast in this New Orleans-set 'noir' tale of a rightwing talk radio station with an ulterior motive behind its radical ideas preaching. Unlike "Network" or "Talk Radio" though the on-air scenes/media angle are relegated to the background (except when Anthony Perkins goes around town trying to find out the truth behind a corruption scandal that is tied with WUSA's agenda) and the movie focuses on the character's inner turmoil and/or adaptation to the Big Easy's lifestyle. Even though Newman's character works at WUSA he doesn't share the station's political view and most of his scenes involve Rheinhardt's courtship of fellow down-on-her-luck drifter Geraldine (Joanne Woodward, with which Newman has remarkably little on-screen chemistry) and interaction with the locals. A murderer's row of character actors (B.J. Mason, Laurence Harvey, Don Gordon, Bruce Cabot, etc.) led by a fun to watch Pat Hingle playing WUSA's general manager makes this movie never less than interesting, even when it settles into doing nothing but watch New Orleans take over the characters' lives. A contrived final act straight out of "The Manchurian Candidate" finishes the movie with a WTF 'life goes on' message meant to contrast with the radio station's rethoric (and Geraldine's fragile state of mind) that feels tacked-on. Worth renting.

SANTO AND BLUE DEMON IN THE NIGHT OF THE DEAD (1970) on Galavision HD for the first time. Man, when a Santo-starring movie (along with his tag-team partner in crime Blue Demon, here under the spell of a 16th century witch trying to get even with Santo's descendants) gets on a creative roll like this one its on a league of its own with goofy but earnest and deadly-serious grindhouse, low-budget fun. Spanning 300 years and several generations of silver masked warriors (think "The Phantom" except with movie sets that look the same whether it's 1676 or 1970) Santo has to battle the forces of evil using only his wits, agility (!), muscular strength (?!?) and total faith in God almighty (the latter probably the reason the flick gets away with cheesy but sometimes disturbing violent scenes like open heart surgery performed with a dagger) to survive seemingly impossible odds. Between the cranked-up speed of the clumsy-looking fights, the Hawaiian hotel lounge background music and pretend debauchery on display (Santo's 1676 girlfriend gets it in a pretty horrible way) "The Land of the Dead" is barrels of fun. Just the fact it's in color and has Blue Demon (who looks faaaaaaabulous!) means the movie had me at 'hello.'

John Carpenter's THEY LIVE (1988) on TCM Underground HD for the first time. Carpenter's third entry into his 'end of the world' trilogy (after "The Thing" and "Prince of Darkness") suffers from having a really low budget (those floating drones) and lame ending (IMO), but its never less than a fun and enjoyable ride. How come Roddy Piper didn't become an action movie star from this? He's really good here (oozing charisma and screen presence) as an out-of-work drifter that stumbles upon an L.A. resistance group trying to let the people of Earth know the truth about the world around them via specially-made sunglasses. Backed by Carpenter's reliably-solid direction and deft outlandish premise "They Live" takes its sweet time establishing its characters and settings so that when the famous brawl between Piper and Keith David happens it's not just cinematically satisfying. It's also bonding its bad-ass lead characters with each other and the audience, who is thrown so many memorable lines besides the classic 'bubblegum' one ('Life's a bitch and she's back in heat,' 'There's going to be hell to pay because I ain't daddy's little boy no more,' etc.) it practically demands repeat viewing. Heck, I couldn't help but think of the 'Occupy Wall St./99%' movement when the police come to the park with bulldozers to take away the poor people eeking out a day-to-day existence. "They Live" is a great popcorn flick and further proof that up until "Memoirs of an Invisible Man" in '92 John Carpenter was on a major 14-year creative roll the likes of which we'll never see again.

THE USUAL SUSPECTS (1995) on BD. Just a great movie that gets better with repeat viewings precisely because you (and everybody else alive the past 16 years) know how it ends. Trying to separate the Kyser Söze-spewed bulls*** from what happened (if it really did happen as we're told) is half the fun. The other half is to watch these great actors (Byrne, Del Toro, Palminteri, Postlethwaite, Pollak, Spacey, S. Baldwin, Hedaya, etc.) play and bounce off of each other in Bryan Singer's and Chris McQuarrie's cinematic house of mirrors. Now if someone at Fox/MGM (or Criterion) would just port over the f***ing commentaries/bonus features from the mid-2000's DVD release with a new non-MPEG2 high-def transfer so I can stop reliving the joy of "The Usual Suspects" on a bare-bone and soft BD-25 disc. :(

Tommy Wiseau's THE ROOM (2003) at the Landmark Sunshine Cinema theater in NYC for the first time. I wish this was a review of "The Room" movie but its mostly a review of the audience I was with reacting to "The Room," although I was still able to get about 65-70% of the dialogue (but not the classic 'You're tearing me apart, Lisa' line, which got drowned by the entire theater saying it in unison) and most scenes. Sitting to the right of me was a young man who kept shouting spur-of-the-moment inanities (sample: 'Lisa, you whore!') and clapping at his own pace. To the left of me was a veteran "Room" watcher along with his new-to-this-experience friends that had timed and honed his shouts with such perfect timing (about 4-5 seconds before the actual scene appeared) to maximize their impact that his 'its 28, time to get up' line, for example, literally brought the house down. And that's "The Room" in a nutshell: an experience that's been taken over by midnight movie watchers of this generation like others in decades past did with "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and similar unintentionally-fun drecks. By the first half-hour I was throwing spoons at the screen (not my own but one's that landed on my lap or I picked from the floor) and even landed a couple of well-received zingers. If I want to watch the movie proper I'll have to rent/buy the DVD, but then it probably won't be as fun alone in the house without the theater crowd unless I download the Rifftrax commentary. What's a new convert to the "Room" phenomenon to do? 8)

But wait, why "The Room" and not another of the many dime-a-dozen disposable Skinemax flicks (and make no mistake about it, "The Room" qualifies as soft-porn based on its first half-hour alone)? Two words: Tommy Wiseau. This is clearly his baby, his pain about relationships, his vanity about how he perceives himself and thinks others perceive him (like Lisa's mother gushing about Johnny being a great catch) and his ego (I wrote/produced/directed/starred in this) that are on full display in "The Room." That Tommy is tunnel vision-blind enough to cast himself as the lead (and show more nude backside shots of himself than Juliette Danielle's) and surround himself with non-actors that cannot overshadow his lack of thesp skills (or any other skills whatsoever) is what truly sets "The Room" apart from most disposable flicks that cast and photograph pretty people being sexy for sexy's sake. Along with the flick's legion of flaws (bad acting, bad set design, bad green screen work, bad dialogue, bad establishing shots of San Francisco repeated endlessly, bad character development/motivation/personality for everyone in the cast, etc.) "The Room" also has the modern day feel of Tommy's Ed Wood Jr.-like mindset at work in achieving his non-native English speaking goals at any cost. This sincerity and true 'auteur' vision (Wiseau's) carries the flaws of "The Room" by injecting the whole thing with an appreciation for the ridiculous that's both laughable but also appreciated. There cannot be a "Room" phenomenon without an audience appreciative of the fun it brings to those that watch it. It's symbiotics, which is as plausible an explantion for the movie's midnight movie afterlife as to where the six million production budget went. Me? I fell in love with "The Room" the moment a room full of tuxedo-wearing men (including what-is-he-doing-here Denny) went outside and started tossing a football to each other (even though they were too close to actually throw the ball) pretending to have a good time. :lol:
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby stypee » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:37 am

Tommy Wiseau's THE ROOM (2003) at the Landmark Sunshine Cinema theater in NYC for the first time. I wish this was a review of "The Room" movie but its mostly a review of the audience I was with reacting to "The Room," although I was still able to get about 65-70% of the dialogue (but not the classic 'You're tearing me apart, Lisa' line, which got drowned by the entire theater saying it in unison) and most scenes. Sitting to the right of me was a young man who kept shouting spur-of-the-moment inanities (sample: 'Lisa, you whore!') and clapping at his own pace. To the left of me was a veteran "Room" watcher along with his new-to-this-experience friends that had timed and honed his shouts with such perfect timing (about 4-5 seconds before the actual scene appeared) to maximize their impact that his 'its 28, time to get up' line, for example, literally brought the house down. And that's "The Room" in a nutshell: an experience that's been taken over by midnight movie watchers of this generation like others in decades past did with "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and similar unintentionally-fun drecks. By the first half-hour I was throwing spoons at the screen (not my own but one's that landed on my lap or I picked from the floor) and even landed a couple of well-received zingers. If I want to watch the movie proper I'll have to rent/buy the DVD, but then it probably won't be as fun alone in the house without the theater crowd unless I download the Rifftrax commentary. What's a new convert to the "Room" phenomenon to do? 8)

But wait, why "The Room" and not another of the many dime-a-dozen disposable Skinemax flicks (and make no mistake about it, "The Room" qualifies as soft-porn based on its first half-hour alone)? Two words: Tommy Wiseau. This is clearly his baby, his pain about relationships, his vanity about how he perceives himself and thinks others perceive him (like Lisa's mother gushing about Johnny being a great catch) and his ego (I wrote/produced/directed/starred in this) that are on full display in "The Room." That Tommy is tunnel vision-blind enough to cast himself as the lead (and show more nude backside shots of himself than Juliette Danielle's) and surround himself with non-actors that cannot overshadow his lack of thesp skills (or any other skills whatsoever) is what truly sets "The Room" apart from most disposable flicks that cast and photograph pretty people being sexy for sexy's sake. Along with the flick's legion of flaws (bad acting, bad set design, bad green screen work, bad dialogue, bad establishing shots of San Francisco repeated endlessly, bad character development/motivation/personality for everyone in the cast, etc.) "The Room" also has the modern day feel of Tommy's Ed Wood Jr.-like mindset at work in achieving his non-native English speaking goals at any cost. This sincerity and true 'auteur' vision (Wiseau's) carries the flaws of "The Room" by injecting the whole thing with an appreciation for the ridiculous that's both laughable but also appreciated. There cannot be a "Room" phenomenon without an audience appreciative of the fun it brings to those that watch it. It's symbiotics, which is as plausible an explantion for the movie's midnight movie afterlife as to where the six million production budget went. Me? I fell in love with "The Room" the moment a room full of tuxedo-wearing men (including what-is-he-doing-here Denny) went outside and started tossing a football to each other (even though they were too close to actually throw the ball) pretending to have a good time. :lol:

This film (?) provided me with one of the greatest viewing experiences I've ever had and I have seen "Rocky Horror" many times, once at the 8th Street Playhouse.

I didn't even watch the movie in a theater; it was just myself and my friend back when I lived in NY. I never even heard of the movie until I read how bad it was on a website. I don't think I had laughed that hard in I don't know how long. My friend, who doesn't hold (film-geekdum) had no idea what the movie was about albeit it me telling her it was labeled "worst ever." She was laughing and joking with me as equally hard. It was just a movie not to be forgotten.

I tried to show this to a few other people. Some got it others didn't, those who didn't had me shut it off after about 20 min.

The reasons behind it not being a SKINAMAX flick are really quite simple. For one, Tommy shows the most nudity even though we see boobies. Frankly, Tommy is quite scary to look at. Watching Tommy have sex is just as dreadful as the green vomit being spewed out of Linda Blair's mouth in The Exorcist. You also have to take into account, there really wasn't all that much to warrant cheesy eroticism and at least in SKINAMAX the people are attractive.

You need to get the DVD - its got some really funny and timeless extras. One being Tommy's answer as to why the movie was shot in both video and film. Along with many other gems like the excellent behind the scenes material and the interview with the lady who played the Mom.

Seriously, how many times did we need a shot of people walking in and out of that door? Why did Tommy's nutty kid friend ask if he could "watch them" during one of the sex moments? Why were they playing football in their Tuxedos and wearing them for no reason at all? Why was the whole "drug dealer" bit just that - "a bit"? All these questions and many more answered by the greatest director ever Tommy Wistjerpltjp or however you spell his last name because I'm too lazy to look it up... Check out the official website - its a lot of fun!

The Room should be played every Thanksgiving Holiday along with Human Centipede 2
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:16 pm

^^^ "The Room" already has a holiday booked though: every April's Fools Day Cartoon Network shows it on Adult Swim, to the relief and/or consternation of those watching the channel whenever it pops up that night. :D
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Attrage » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:21 pm

The Dark Knight - figured I'd revisit this one before the third (and supposedly final, from what I read) is released. It goes without saying (but of course I'm gonna say it) that Chris Nolan is one of the better directors working today, and we filmgoers are blessed to have him around. DK is a fantastic film in every respect, well-acted, well-directed, well-scored, etc. And indeed I am biased (as he is from my home town), but Heath Ledger as the Joker steals every moment of every scene he's in. My favourite moment remains the tiniest fragment of his performance but I get a giant kick out of it every time - when one of the gangsters at the daylight "group therapy session" says, "Do you think you can just steal from us and get away with it?" The way he responds, very simply and perfectly, "Yeah." It's pure brilliance. What an incredible shame we will not get to see what his further performances might have been.
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby mavrach » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:57 am

Runaway Train - Good fun overall, but the performances were an embarrassment. Jon Voight tried on a silly accent that he'd later bring to Anaconda, and Eric Roberts cranks himself up to 15 as he always does. I was SHOCKED to see the trivia afterwards that both Roberts & Voight were nominated for Oscars for this. The hell? I had fun with this on the level of a campy 80's action flick.

The Aviator - Another biopic on my list, which has raised expectations having Scorsese direct. Because, well, Raging Bull. This isn't nearly as good as Scorcese's previous biopic starring his last actor muse, but it's better than most other biopics out there. The scale on this one is huge, and the recreation of the era and early Hollywood was completely plausible.

And again, I'm going to call this out on the tired biopic cliche of starting with a throwaway scene of the subject's childhood. Here we get one to explain the source of Hughes' OCD. Like most childhood scenes, this was not necessary to establish the character, and it could've been cut to refine this movie's lengthy run time. They did cut the typical text coda of "<<SUBJECT>> went on the change the world, he died on <<DATE>> and left a legacy of X." The movie was confident on its own that it'd successfully told its story.

World Trade Center - This just felt awkward to me. The effort seems pointless since we all remember that day, and are still feeling the consequences. I'm not one to exclaim "too soon!" out of offense. But as far as analysis and remembering the events, it does seem too soon to make this movie. Oliver Stone did manage to stay respectful and keep the later politics out of this, and I think his involvement was half the cause of controversy about the movie.

To counter Polynikes' point above about this movie, I think this is the only way to make a 9-11 movie at this point. To focus on the grand scheme of the event might have teetered too closely into disaster flick territory, which would've become offensive. CGI recreations of the buildings toppling would have been distasteful. So as a result we're stuck with a more personal story. Keep it focused on the pair of cops' response to the incidents, and let our current knowledge of the day fill in the gaps. The cracking of the building foundation was chilling, just because we knew what was coming.

I just think the final product doesn't work. I do think it was a respectful story, but it's totally unnecessary. I can't see anybody popping this DVD in the player for any reason.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:35 am

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (BLU RAY) -I still say it is the most under rated of the Trek films, and one of the best of the overall franchise. I love the atmosphere, the effects work, and the way the entire cast gets to bounce off of one another. Heck, I would have even loved to see Decker carry one as the new first officer!

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad - Great little pieces of animation, although I have to admit, while I understand why Bing Crosby was cast, there is a part of me that wishes Vincent Price were around instead and that it wasn't a musical.

30 Days of Night -coughNewPodcastcough http://24panelspersecond.blogspot.com/2011/12/episode-15-30-days-of-night-2007.html

Giorgio Moroder Presents Metropolis (BLU RAY) - is it wrong of me to say I actually prefer this version of the film? Yes, the Complete Metropolis is, without quesstion, Fritz Lang's film, but I love the atmosphere and energy of Moroder version.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:21 am

the5thghostbuster wrote:Giorgio Moroder Presents Metropolis (BLU RAY) - is it wrong of me to say I actually prefer this version of the film? Yes, the Complete Metropolis is, without quesstion, Fritz Lang's film, but I love the atmosphere and energy of Moroder version.

There's a bridge right over there... whenever you're ready, do it! ;-) :?
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:34 pm

Get Carter (1971) - Bleak, uncompromising, contemplative, and very British. Contains what might be Michael Caine's best performance. This is a movie that makes you want to take a shower once its done. Highly recommended to fans of revenge pics, it's a classic for a reason.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Attrage » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Cobra - Oh, man...bring back the good old days of Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus 80's Reagan-era action movies! What's surprising is this film was based on a novel (wtf??), what is NOT surprising is the screenplay was written by Sylvester Stallone. And about halfway through the film - one of the most ridiculous montages ever put to film. We get Sly and his good buddy Rene Santoni shakin down bad guys, interspersed with scenes of Brigette Nielsen in skimy outfits posing next to weird evil robots, all to the tune of a typically forgettable 80's rock song. Grab a big chunk of cheddar and chow down!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby stypee » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:09 am

Attrage wrote:Cobra - Oh, man...bring back the good old days of Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus 80's Reagan-era action movies! What's surprising is this film was based on a novel (wtf??), what is NOT surprising is the screenplay was written by Sylvester Stallone. And about halfway through the film - one of the most ridiculous montages ever put to film. We get Sly and his good buddy Rene Santoni shakin down bad guys, interspersed with scenes of Brigette Nielsen in skimy outfits posing next to weird evil robots, all to the tune of a typically forgettable 80's rock song. Grab a big chunk of cheddar and chow down!

Have you not seen Over The Top?

I haven't seen it yet - let me know how it is. :P

I too miss the Golan/Globas years. I came up with the idea for a Cannon t-shirt which I actually suggested to a guy. He went ahead and used my idea. The shirt is one of his top sellers.

http://rottencotton.com/cannon-films-pr ... ews_id=110

He also has a complete product line dedicated to Cannon films. I don't have any of the money that he is making.
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:51 am

the5thghostbuster wrote:Star Trek: The Motion Picture (BLU RAY) -I still say it is the most under rated of the Trek films, and one of the best of the overall franchise. I love the atmosphere, the effects work, and the way the entire cast gets to bounce off of one another. Heck, I would have even loved to see Decker carry one as the new first officer!

It's definitely a great movie. People just shy away from it because it's the least Trek-ish thing of the entire franchise. But you can appreciate it if you realize that at the time, it was just the original series and this movie. It's tough if you've already seen TNG, any of the other series or movies, then go back to this one. It just doesn't fit because it's trying way too hard to be the next 2001. That's admirable though. Taken in itself, it's excellent sci-fi that makes you think.

I think Wrath of Khan set the tone for the franchise after that point. It must've been strange to see The Motion Picture & Khan side-by-side at the time. They're so different.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:56 am

mavrach wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:Star Trek: The Motion Picture (BLU RAY) -I still say it is the most under rated of the Trek films, and one of the best of the overall franchise. I love the atmosphere, the effects work, and the way the entire cast gets to bounce off of one another. Heck, I would have even loved to see Decker carry one as the new first officer!

It's definitely a great movie. People just shy away from it because it's the least Trek-ish thing of the entire franchise. But you can appreciate it if you realize that at the time, it was just the original series and this movie. It's tough if you've already seen TNG, any of the other series or movies, then go back to this one. It just doesn't fit because it's trying way too hard to be the next 2001. That's admirable though. Taken in itself, it's excellent sci-fi that makes you think.

I think Wrath of Khan set the tone for the franchise after that point. It must've been strange to see The Motion Picture & Khan side-by-side at the time. They're so different.

The funny thing is while the film is different from the show in terms of tone, in terms of its story, it does feel the most Trek-ish of the films, in that they are actually exploring and encountering new life.

Plus, am I the only one who loves the Motion Picture uniforms better to the navy-style uniforms that would follow?
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:00 am

the5thghostbuster wrote:
mavrach wrote:

The funny thing is while the film is different from the show in terms of tone, in terms of its story, it does feel the most Trek-ish of the films, in that they are actually exploring and encountering new life.

Plus, am I the only one who loves the Motion Picture uniforms better to the navy-style uniforms that would follow?

I just loved how they worked the Voyager into it. Is the blu-ray version the snazzy gussied up Director's Cut from the early '00s?
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:59 am

Steve T Power wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:
mavrach wrote:

I just loved how they worked the Voyager into it. Is the blu-ray version the snazzy gussied up Director's Cut from the early '00s?

Nah, its the original theatrical cut, which I prefer. Not to knock the DC, but I was never all that fond of the new fx.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:06 pm

I'm A Cyborg, but that's OK - A totlally unexpected departure from Chan-Wook Park. This is a quirky, weird, touching romantic comedy set in an insane asylum. I really enjoyed its fierce originality and the way it made me care about its damaged characters.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Attrage » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:53 am

stypee wrote:
Attrage wrote:Cobra - Oh, man...bring back the good old days of Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus 80's Reagan-era action movies! What's surprising is this film was based on a novel (wtf??), what is NOT surprising is the screenplay was written by Sylvester Stallone. And about halfway through the film - one of the most ridiculous montages ever put to film. We get Sly and his good buddy Rene Santoni shakin down bad guys, interspersed with scenes of Brigette Nielsen in skimy outfits posing next to weird evil robots, all to the tune of a typically forgettable 80's rock song. Grab a big chunk of cheddar and chow down!

Have you not seen Over The Top?

I haven't seen it yet - let me know how it is. :P

I too miss the Golan/Globas years. I came up with the idea for a Cannon t-shirt which I actually suggested to a guy. He went ahead and used my idea. The shirt is one of his top sellers.

http://rottencotton.com/cannon-films-pr ... ews_id=110

He also has a complete product line dedicated to Cannon films. I don't have any of the money that he is making.

"Over the top, Dad! Over the top!" LOL yes, I have seen it ;)
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby azul017 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:26 pm

Hugo - If only all natively-shot 3D films were as immersive and visually delightful like this one. It was honestly a little different than I expected, but it was worth checking out. Scorsese put his heart and soul into this movie, with all the tributes to silent films as well as the birth of cinema too. Thelma Schoonmaker, Robert Richardson and Dante Ferretti deserve special praise for the invisible editing, gorgeous photography and outstanding production design. It's nice to leave a Scorsese film feeling all warm and fuzzy for a change.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Polynikes » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:43 am

Gabriel Girard wrote:Get Carter (1971) - Bleak, uncompromising, contemplative, and very British. Contains what might be Michael Caine's best performance. This is a movie that makes you want to take a shower once its done. Highly recommended to fans of revenge pics, it's a classic for a reason.

I echo this comment. It is a superb film. The film does not seek to give moral authority to the avenger (Michael Caine). He is as brutal and immoral as those whom he is pursuing.
Polynikes
City Attorney

Postby azul017 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Robin Hood: Men in Tights - Why do Mel Brooks fans hate this movie? I'm at a loss for words here. I actually laughed a dozen times, which is 10x more than the awful History of the World, Part 1 or Dracula: Dead and Loving It. I loved all the nods to the past Robin Hoods, and all the actors are having a blast doing it. Tracy Ullman's character Latrine stole the show, every single time.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - Why the hell is Kevin Costner in this movie? If the leading man can't even fake an English accent, then why bother casting him as an English folklore legend? It's a shame, really, since everything else is good.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:09 am

Babel - I fully expected this to come off as pretentious Oscar bait, and that I'd give up on it after about a half hour. So I was suprised to find a multi-lingual story linking multiple people around the world. Brad Pitt's presence is distracting at first, especially since he's in dull leading man mode (instead of quirky character actor mode where he shines), but he's down to earth here.

Magnolia - Being a huge fan of Boogie Nights, I don't know what I was waiting for before seeing this one. A majority of the same cast leads a wonderful story of a variety of characters' lives. If there's one flaw with this movie, it's that the format has been done a few times before. I'd have appreicated this more if I hadn't already seen Short Cuts (also with Julianne Moore). And it especially mirrors Short Cuts by connecting the cast with a final environmental disaster. But Magnolia picked a hell of a unique disaster. Is there a name for this type of movie, with an ensemble cast of seperate stories that affect each other (i.e. Snatch, 2 Days in the Valley, Big Trouble)?

Anyways, Paul Thomas Anderson takes the intimidating running time of 3+ hours and keeps a rhythm going that never makes you feel that you spent the whole night watching this movie.

The Outsiders: The Complete Novel - Having zero familiarity with the book, I walked into this openly. You can tell that this was a clumsy adaptation, as it doesn't seem to live on its own. The first 2/3 take a nice pace, with a episodic feel to each "chapter." But in the third act, way too many important events happen that are rushed through without the time to allow their intended emotional impacts.

Half the reason this feels rushed is because of the casting. I'd be willing to write off the other characters as minor if they weren't taken by people like Patrick Swayze or Tom Cruise. But since they're all there, and because the movie is billed as an ensemble piece, it comes off as lopsided.

Add to this the laughable bromances and past-its-time styles, these take a lot away from the movie when it can't stand on it's own. If all the characters were developed, I might not be laughing watching Rob Lowe & Tom Cruise arm wrestling, or the unintentionally hilarious classic "stay gold, Ponyboy." These could be given heft. Honestly this could've benefitted from being a longer movie. I understand this was released theatrically at 90 minutes, while the version I watched is a half hour longer. Given Francis Ford Coppolla's ability and the variety of characters & actors involved, this feels like a missed opportunity. It just screams "read the book instead."
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Rio Bravo - i watch so much junk that when i stroll back through the canon of great films like this..i feel decadent and self indulgent.
it's practically perfect in every way.
"Sorry don't get it done"

Behind the Mask (1932) a DVD-R i got of the internet
the transfer is kinda crap, but the audio is clear which makes up for it.
Karloff is in it as just a criminal supporting character,
The lead is kinda bland and generic - but the movie is surprisingly watchable
It's all mood and creepy paranoia, very Dr Mabuse...which was not found in a lot of american films before the 50s
FBI man infiltrates a drug ring looking for a Kaiser Sose character
with a wide network of minions who have never seen him.
The Villain turns out to be a mad doctor who likes to kill people ON the operating table while they are conscious.
This would have been totally better with Karloff as the villain...and anyone else in the lead.
but On the whole not a bad purchase at all.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby hoytereden » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:06 am

molly1216 wrote:Rio Bravo - i watch so much junk that when i stroll back through the canon of great films like this..i feel decadent and self indulgent.
it's practically perfect in every way.
"Sorry don't get it done"

Behind the Mask (1932) a DVD-R i got of the internet
the transfer is kinda crap, but the audio is clear which makes up for it.
Karloff is in it as just a criminal supporting character,
The lead is kinda bland and generic - but the movie is surprisingly watchable
It's all mood and creepy paranoia, very Dr Mabuse...which was not found in a lot of american films before the 50s
FBI man infiltrates a drug ring looking for a Kaiser Sose character
with a wide network of minions who have never seen him.
The Villain turns out to be a mad doctor who likes to kill people ON the operating table while they are conscious.
This would have been totally better with Karloff as the villain...and anyone else in the lead.
but On the whole not a bad purchase at all.

If I'm not mistaken, Jack Holt was the lead and, yes, he's quite wooden. His son, Tim, turned out to be a much better actor. Everyone knows that Walter and son John Houston appear in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre but Tim and Jack Holt have a scene together but if you blink you might miss it.
Did you notice that fellow Frankenstein actor Edward Van Sloan was in Behind the Mask along with Karloff?
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:10 am

yesterday i watched
Rio Bravo, Die Hard 1, Journey to the Center of the Earth
I really tried watching Die Hard 2 after Die Hard 1 but i was burnt out from the machismo and explosions..and had to take a break.

almost forgot..i tried watching Pirates of the Caribbean 4...but i didn't finish watching it,
there were no characters in the film that i wanted to see find the fountain of youth.
i ACTUALLY could see the splices in the script where Jack Sparrow was inserted into the Jack Sparrow-free novel.
I am so very happy i didn't blind buy it as i usually do with sequels to films i actually like.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Attrage » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:41 pm

American Gangster - The “based on a true story” of 70’s Harlem drug kingpin Frank Lucas, played by Denzel Washington.

As usual for Ridley Scott, the film is insanely immersive and the attention to period detail is just amazing. Whether it’s ancient Rome, gritty New York in the 70’s, or a futuristic Los Angeles, Scott manages to make the “you are there” feeling look easy.

Performances are across the board brilliant. Denzel as usual turns in a solid performance, and Ridley Scott go-to-guy Russell Crowe yet again pulls off a believable American accent and performance. Cuba Gooding Jr is also good as Frank’s flashy competition in the NY heroin business, as is Josh Brolin – he makes a delightfully sleazy crooked cop.

I gotta mention John Ortiz as Crowe’s cop partner Javier. This guy is just a fantastically talented actor. Seeing him in this, and his other small roles in movies like Miami Vice and Pride and Glory, it’s difficult to believe he played the twitchy crackhead that set his girlfriend’s hair on fire in Narc.

The film’s best sequence is without doubt the Thanksgiving dinner scene, where Frank Lucas and his family sit down to a sumptuous meal and say Grace. This scene of his family enjoying the spoils of his misery-peddling-business is intercut with horribly grimy scenes of junkies overdosing on his product, unflinching close ups of dirty needles puncturing swollen veins. It’s a superb bit of filmmaking.

My other favourite scene is when a guy bleeds on Lucas’ nice white rug, and he instructs the person cleaning it up to “blot that shit, don’t scrub”. It speaks volumes for the character of Frank Lucas and Washington plays the moment perfectly. The guy may take his mother to church every Sunday, but inside that expensive suit is a heart as cold as a freakin glacier.
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:37 am

Dr. No. - all the bond films are on Instant Watch, so i thought i would watch them in order for laughs.
Dr No. I watched few years ago, but i don't think i WATCHED it. I remember reading the books but i don't remember them either, i guess like the men's adventure magazines of that era, as literature they were pretty forgettable. Bond women are obviously fantasy creatures that can't exist in the real world..like unicorns.
The film is more an exercise in style that substance though a successful one - when they had a choice of realism or well photographed fantasy they went with the fantasy. And I think that's what kept the bond film style going through an age when actual violence was on TV every night, it also makes it easy to parody.
Domino is hunting shells in a place where there are only two shells on the beach that just happen to accentuate her decolletage when held at arms length. Poor Quarrell, carrying Bond's shoes through the swamp is the first example of a literal 'Red Shirt' who gets killed by the dragon he feared to prove that there is a danger on the island. Dr. NO. is an update on Verne's Nemo trying to improve and dominate a world he isn't part of. This is the 1st time we see Bond kill an unarmed man, one whom is no danger to him physically and whom he wasn't sent to kill....which i thought worrisome - obviously a precursor to Han Shot First scenario. A practically harmless tarantula is used as a stand-in because a really deadly spider wouldn't look impressive enough for the camera - what's very funny is that Bond no only hits it once with a shoe heel, but FIVE times to make sure its really dead. I guess he didn't like spiders. Don't get me wrong I liked the movie, i just think it creaks in certain places if you look too closely.

Fuzzy Pink Nightgown (1957) one of the TON of double bill mid century movies that netflix is filled with. I adore Jane Russell, her movie scripts are always laced with smart alecy dame dialogue. dumbo kidnappers get more than they bargain for when they throw a net over Jane Russell's not so dumb blonde actress. It turned out to be a Christmas Movie..and I immediately went looking for a DVD-R for my collection.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Dunnyman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:03 am

Went to The Muppets last night, and my goodness, what a fun filled trip down nostalgia lane. The central questions seemed to be if the Muppets are still relevant, and hell yes, they ARE. The "Moopets" tribute band, the disasters with the stage, the various montages, driving by map, etc. were all good fun, and classic Muppet silliness. You can take your kids to see it, and not worry about their minds being warped by it. There were silly jokes, bad puns, cameos galore, and as far as I could tell, every Muppet, ever makes an appearance. Credit to the the entire team who make it seems as if they're really people, and old friends you just haven't seen in awhile. Special kudos to Jason Segal who wrote it, developed it, etc, etc. Truly a labor of love for him, and it SHOWS.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:22 pm

been busy
From Russia With Love
GoldFinger
Thunderball
funny after you watch a lot of them...you remember the scenes, not the plots..who gives a damn what the bad guy wants etc... buy you remember the fight on the train, the swim with the sharks, the flying lesbian circus, Odd Job Sakata, the cars, the gadgets...those are the images that remain. I still get very annoyed at bad ADR jobs..Since the visuals are the more important villains, bond girls, supporting players were usually cast for their LOOK not their mastery of english. Poor bastard Connery by Thunderball it was basically a comb over. Couple more connery's to go..the lazenby will be easy..but the Moor'es painful...i didn't like them when i saw them in the theater..but that's what played you went. I think Moore was a bad choice - too smarmy. One can believe Connery could talk a girl in to bed with one line..but Moore would have to get her drunk first.

Green Lantern - not as hideous as i was expecting but still another in a long line of films i see and immediately forget. nearly none of the modern comic book or action films stick in the head. will admit that without advances in graphic technology superhero films like these could not get off the drawing board.
Fright Night 2011 Colin Farrell looks like eddie munster, but makes a fine vampire. Marti Noxon does know how to write a good vampire tale. When are we going to see Tennant headlining his own films?..he can rock any Colin firth-esque film. Awful lot of imports in title roles in this fim. worth a revisit..maybe a buy if i find it in the bargain bin. Would make a nice late night double feature with John Carpenter's Vampires.
X Men First Class Xavier and Erich have a hell of a bromance going. But do like the Erich Lensher as Nazi hunter James bond character..yum. overall well done..enough story and cameos for two films all compressed...loved the on the town with charles and erich recruitment.."more tea vicar?"
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:39 pm

Capatin America : The First Avenger - I really liked it but mostly for its first two acts, the action wasn't as interesting as the character development and the final fight against the Red Skull was pretty disappointing. And why did they feel the need to throw a half-baked romance in there? IMHO Johnston did a better job with The Rocketeer.

I Know Where I'm Going! - My second Powell & Pressburger film after The Red Shoes. While it doesn't have the ambition, budget and grandeur of that film it's charming in its own way. It also mixes fairytale with modern trappings, the Scottish characters are a hoot and Wendy hiller gives a great performance. My only caveat is that I never really felt the love beween her and Torquil, as if she was using her affection for him to get out of a marriage she didn't really want. Despite the ''curse'' at the end I doubted that they would stay tougether for ever after.

Paperhouse - A unique, interesting fantasy/horror film about a girl whose drawings come to life in her dreams. Eerie,filled with psychanalytical questions and insight and with a great Hans Zimmer soundrack. The ending is a little pat and the film suffers a bit from the low budget but besides that it's a delight. I wish that Bernard Rose had directed more of this kind of films, the only other one he made is Candyman.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:03 pm

^^^ Completely agree, we need more Bernard Rose-helmed horror movies. The difference between "Candyman" and its sequels (even though Tony Todd is still cool in the latter) is night and day, all because of the literate and "artsy" perspective with which Rose directed the first one. Man, just thinking about "Candyman" is making me want to go to the mirror and say "his" name five times... but I don't dare! :D
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:10 pm

Sherlock Holmes: Game of shadows.... busy busy film, enough plot and action for two or three films..but they did create more of an ensemble performance in this one. more screen time for other characters. Much more of an EPIC than the last one. I can only hope that the next one is smaller and less over reaching. BTW anyone besides me catch the musical refrain that accompanies the shetland pony sequence? it's a lift from Ennio Morricone's score from Two Mules for Sister Sara...i nearly fell off my chair laughing.

Howard Hawk's Monkey Business - another charming little films... a terrific role for Ginger Rogers
Cary Grant in Room for One More a 'message' film about how satisfying adopting a foster kids can be. But is there anything more fun that watching Cary play on screen with kids?
Apparently he was one of the folks who discovered George 'Foghorn' Winslow. who is in Monkey Business, Room for One More and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes..little kid..big voice..dead pan delivery.

There's No Business Like Show Business (1954) a dump truck load of candy floss...basically one musical number after another..not much plot to hold it together..very heavy on the spectacle..Marilyn gets top billing on the dvd .she was deliberately written in to give the movie MORE box office.
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Next

Return to Movies