redeeming features

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

redeeming features

Postby molly1216 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:50 pm

i was trolling through the instant watch new releases and i found
Black Moon Rising listed...yes it's a silly cheesy one step up from made for tv movie
but it DOES Have Tommy Lee Jones, which is a redeeming feature of many films.
Many of his early films aren't worth watching cept for his presence in the film: Back Roads, Nate and Hayes for example

If i look closely there are probably a number of films in my collection
that i keep because of one or two things that raise them above average.

Nearly any fair to middling films film can be improved by the presence of Steve Buscemi or Robert Carlyle
If it weren't for Robert Carlyle i'd never have watched Formula 51 the 1st time nevermind twice,
but then it did have Samuel L Jackson.
I would have once said that Sam was a redeeming feature to almost any film...but nothing could save Snakes on a Plane, Sphere or Deep Blue Sea (though the redeeming feature of Deep Blue Sea can only be LL Cool J)

American Outlaws's only saving grace is TImothy Dalton..but aside from that it's all horses and guns which is pretty much all you need to make me watch a western anymore.

Can anyone add more less than perfect films that are kicked up a notch by either the presence of an actor or something else? location, special effects etc...
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Re: redeeming features

Postby Attrage » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:49 pm

Speaking of the Samuel L Jackson thing, I used to believe that Patrick Bergin could elevate any movie he was in. But then I watched Amazons and Gladiators.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Pretty much any bad or mediocre movie is automatically improved by the presence of Peter Cushing and/or Christopher Lee.
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Postby cdouglas » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:33 pm

Christopher Walken is the king of bringing a dash of entertainment to otherwise forgettable films. See his appearances in The Country Bears, Poolhall Junkies, Gigli, Balls of Fury, Joe Dirt, Kangaroo Jack, The Prophecy, Scotland, PA, Mousehunt, Last Man Standing... the list goes on.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby mavrach » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:56 pm

Ben Kingsley too.

Jason X - I thought the entire movie was awful, until the one joke towards the end. There's a holographic simulator of the 20th century, then two camping girls appear and say "we love premarital sex!" Describing it doesn't do it justice, but needless to say, that one line had my laughing myself to sleep that night.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Sherrybaby would be a mediocre addict on the rebound flick if it wasn't for Maggie Gyllenhaal's central performance.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby azul017 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:58 pm

- Naomi Watts elevates anything she's in, including dreck like The Ring Two (which I own solely for her performance) and Dream House. I'm still scratching my head why Daniel Craig, Rachel Weisz and Martin Czokas agreed to do it too, since all deserved better.

- Uma Thurman was an absolute scream as Poison Ivy in Batman & Robin. She was right at home in this movie, and would've fit in perfectly in the 1960s TV show too. Shame the Governator single-handedly derailed that movie from being a guilty pleasure.

- Nathan Fillion was one of the few bright spots in Super and White Noise 2, and the only positive in Outing Riley. I will watch anything that guy is in.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby molly1216 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:34 am

azul017 wrote:- Uma Thurman was an absolute scream as Poison Ivy in Batman & Robin. She was right at home in this movie, and would've fit in perfectly in the 1960s TV show too. Shame the Governator single-handedly derailed that movie from being a guilty pleasure.

- Nathan Fillion was one of the few bright spots in Super and White Noise 2, and the only positive in Outing Riley. I will watch anything that guy is in.

i agree with both of these statements..
i was just to embarrassed to admit i liked any part of Batman and Robin
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby Jim_Thomas » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:18 pm

molly1216 wrote:If it weren't for Robert Carlyle i'd never have watched Formula 51 the 1st time nevermind twice, but then it did have Samuel L Jackson.
I would have once said that Sam was a redeeming feature to almost any film...but nothing could save Snakes on a Plane, Sphere or Deep Blue Sea (though the redeeming feature of Deep Blue Sea can only be LL Cool J)
Snakes on a Plane and Deep Blue Sea are certifiable guilty pleasures. Sphere, on the other hand, is one of the most mind-numbingly boring movies I've ever seen.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby Mach6 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:44 pm

I mentioned this in a previous post that David Zayas’ performance & the impressive CGI are the only bright spots in Skyline. He’s basically been given the Tim Robbins role from War of the Worlds but Zayas came off as a no-nonsense person who uses common sense to help the group survive where as Robbins came off as a cartoonish crazy guy. Without Zayas & the CGI, Skyline would resemble one of those SyFy channel produced movies on the weekend. Hey Vargas, I’m still waiting for your detailed Skyline review! 8)

Val Kilmer was the best Batman of the Burton/Schumacher series & had the brooding & tormented psyche down in Batman Forever. Unlike skinny Michael Keaton, he had the physical build to be more convincing as a vigilante badass. I respect Kilmer for treating it seriously where as Schumacher & 80% of the cast was camping it up.

I really didn’t care for the 1st & 3rd X-Men movies except for Ian McKellen’s presence & charisma. McKellen really immersed himself into the Magneto character. He wasn’t just collecting a paycheck.

If you’re talking about location, well my local bias is showing on this one. Transformers: Dark of the Moon was horrible & will be in my top 10 worst list for 2011, yet I have to give Bay credit for making great use of the Chicago downtown area.

Like Christopher Lee & Walken, I have the same thoughts about the late great J.T. Walsh. I'm a big fan of Breakdown & The Negotiator but I wonder if they would’ve been mediocre thrillers if Walsh wasn’t involved.
Jim_Thomas wrote:Sphere, on the other hand, is one of the most mind-numbingly boring movies I've ever seen.
Amen, Jim, Amen!
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby azul017 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:57 pm

molly1216 wrote:i agree with both of these statements..

I own the 2-disc Batman & Robin set, if that's any comfort for you. Joel Schumacher's several apologies in the bonus features alone were worth it.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:22 pm

mavrach wrote:Ben Kingsley too.

Jason X - I thought the entire movie was awful, until the one joke towards the end. There's a holographic simulator of the 20th century, then two camping girls appear and say "we love premarital sex!" Describing it doesn't do it justice, but needless to say, that one line had my laughing myself to sleep that night.

Didn't he then put them in a sleeping bag and beat them against a tree? That was indeed priceless. Actually I put it past redeeming as it reset the entire tone of the movie. A movie that spoofs itself can be cool because it plays on the stereotypes that it exploits. It's still not a great movie, but it's fun.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:47 pm

azul017 wrote:
molly1216 wrote:i agree with both of these statements..

I own the 2-disc Batman & Robin set, if that's any comfort for you. Joel Schumacher's several apologies in the bonus features alone were worth it.

Her joke about the Poison Ivy action figure is priceless
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby jcankerhuxley » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:11 am

I don't care much for "the Sarah Silverman Show", but Min Coffee and Oogie are a stitch. Why they do not have their own show boggles the imagination.
[B]uying DVD's is cheaper then spending my money on booze, drugs & hookers -- Harold Gervais
jcankerhuxley
City Attorney

Return to Movies