what do you want to see in 2012?

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

what do you want to see in 2012?

Postby molly1216 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:06 pm

just caught the trailer for Goon and i was only half paying attention until Liev Schreiber showed up - with a mustache right off the face of Derek Sanderson and i burst out laughing hysterically. it won't be Slap Shot but it might be fun for a rental. "old tyme hockey!"
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/goon/
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Re: what do you want to see in 2012?

Postby MovieAddict » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:32 pm

What do I want to see in 2012??

Hmmm...us not raising the debt ceiling another 1.3 trillion dollars, a non nuclear Iran, a new president elected...oh did you mean movies??

I'm looking forward to the new Star Trek.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
- C. S. Lewis
MovieAddict
City Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:04 pm

The list so far : Haywire, The Pirates! Band Of Misfits , Prometheus, The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:52 am

Brave
The Hobbit
Prometheus
The Dark Knight Rises

I'll probably like The Avengers then never watch it again like most of the Marvel flicks.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Andrew Forbes » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:27 am

MovieAddict wrote:Hmmm...us not raising the debt ceiling another 1.3 trillion dollars, a non nuclear Iran, a new president elected...oh did you mean movies??

Do not bring politics into the movie thread and then pretend that you are just being cute. Leave it outside until it is relevant and necessary to the discussion.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby azul017 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:57 am

MovieAddict wrote:What do I want to see in 2012??

Hmmm...us not raising the debt ceiling another 1.3 trillion dollars, a non nuclear Iran, a new president elected...oh did you mean movies??

I'm looking forward to the new Star Trek.

It's coming May 17, 2013. Abrams wanted a break from promoting Super 8 before doing the sequel -- a G.I. Joe sequel took its spot for June 29, 2012.

As for me:

Brave
The Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
Snow White and the Huntsman
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby MovieAddict » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:35 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:
MovieAddict wrote:Hmmm...us not raising the debt ceiling another 1.3 trillion dollars, a non nuclear Iran, a new president elected...oh did you mean movies??

Do not bring politics into the movie thread and then pretend that you are just being cute. Leave it outside until it is relevant and necessary to the discussion.

Bringing politics unnecessarily into a movie thread – I plead guilty as charged, sorry won’t happen again.

As to pretending to be cute, I think not. I had just finished reading a debt ceiling article and sought distraction via DVD Verdict. The titular question was so forthright and aligned to my current state of mind that I just answered what was on my brain completely forgetting DVD Verdict etiquette.

Seems I have already been punished as the other poster mentioned that I will not get to see Star Trek until 2013.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
- C. S. Lewis
MovieAddict
City Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:53 pm

- Underworld: Evolution - Guilty pleasure, will probably wait for the blu-ray release.
- Contraband - Generally NOT a Whalberg fan, but damn, that was one slick trailer. Again, blu-ray.
- Haywire - The premise is a little over done as of late, but my god that's arguably the best cast i've seen in ages, and Soderbergh directing piques my interest.
- The Grey - This sort of man vs. nature survival flick is right up my ally, plus Liam Neeson takes on wolves using broken mini-bar booze bottles like Wolverine claws! Shit yes!
- Safe House - This one looks INTENSE. Really been digging Denzel's stuff as of late, and a return of the darker, serious Ryan Reynolds, who I thought was awesome in Smokin' Aces, appeals to me. I never would have guessed this wasn't a Tony Scott flick though.
- John Carter of Mars - Hate that Disney has seen fit to shorten the title, but Andrew Stanton is the best guy in the Pixar stable in my opinion, and this think just looks incredibly beautiful.
- The Dark Knight Rises - Still hate the title, but come on, how could I not be there for this?
- Prometheus - No brainer, really. Great cast, my favorite Director making his return to sci-fi after 30 years...man o man.
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - It's been a long time since anything resonated as strongly as the Lord of the Rings films with me, and having Jackson back, combined with that incredible tease, how could anyone not be excited. A friend of mine stated, half jokingly i'm sure, Best film of 2011? The Hobbit Trailer!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby azul017 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Steve T Power wrote:- John Carter of Mars - Hate that Disney has seen fit to shorten the title, but Andrew Stanton is the best guy in the Pixar stable in my opinion, and this think just looks incredibly beautiful.

I'm actually more optimistic about this now. If Brad Bird can make a seamless transition from animation to live-action, then Stanton can. The marketing isn't winning me over, though.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby Mach6 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Battleship (Those two trailers sold me that it will have the great plots & acting of the Transformers flicks & Liam Neeson was not in it just for a big paycheck.)
Skyfall directed by Sam (I directed American Beauty the most overrated & condescending piece of crap to win an Oscar) Mendes
GI Joe: Re, uh, uh, whatever, it has the Rock & Bruce Willis, You’ll Pay to Go See It, No Matter How Awful the 1st One Was. F*** You!
Zookeeper 2: Zookeeperier
Any Nicholas Cage movie
The Steel remake directed by Steven Spielberg that Shaq was talking about on Inside the NBA last week.
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby molly1216 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:33 pm

Mach6 wrote:Battleship (Those two trailers sold me that it will have the great plots & acting of the Transformers flicks & Liam Neeson was not in it just for a big paycheck.)
Skyfall directed by Sam (I directed American Beauty the most overrated & condescending piece of crap to win an Oscar) Mendes
GI Joe: Re, uh, uh, whatever, it has the Rock & Bruce Willis, You’ll Pay to Go See It, No Matter How Awful the 1st One Was. F*** You!
Zookeeper 2: Zookeeperier
Any Nicholas Cage movie
The Steel remake directed by Steven Spielberg that Shaq was talking about on Inside the NBA last week.

i can't tell when your joking.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby stypee » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:09 am

I know many of you are going to wanna beat the hell out of me but I just have to say it:

The Hobbit looks so freaking boring!

As far as flicks I'm looking forward too:

Promethus or whatever its spelled
Dark Knight Rises

There aren't that many but my brain broke wind and I can't remember the others.

Oh, that new Spiderman movie... Seriously? Lets remake a movie that wasn't made that long ago? It's the same freaking movie with a few extra bells and whistles. Really Hollywood? REALLY?
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Postby azul017 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:03 am

stypee wrote:Oh, that new Spiderman movie... Seriously? Lets remake a movie that wasn't made that long ago? It's the same freaking movie with a few extra bells and whistles. Really Hollywood? REALLY?

I keep saying that Sony should've gone the Batman Forever route. It could be good, but I HATE that new suit. I hate it with a burning passion.
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:55 am

azul017 wrote:
stypee wrote:Oh, that new Spiderman movie... Seriously? Lets remake a movie that wasn't made that long ago? It's the same freaking movie with a few extra bells and whistles. Really Hollywood? REALLY?

I keep saying that Sony should've gone the Batman Forever route. It could be good, but I HATE that new suit. I hate it with a burning passion.

Exactly. Just have Spidey and a new villain and start it in the middle of his superhero career. Just because it's a reboot does mean you have to start from scratch. Nobody wants to see the same story all over again. I'd have an open mind towards this movie if it weren't for that.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby hoytereden » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:26 pm

A little off the thread track but Lawrence of Arabia on Blu.
Another year gone by without but '12 would be the 50th anniversary and that fact has been mentioned by some folks so here's hoping.
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby azul017 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:47 pm

I saw the trailer for the Titanic re-release, in actual 3D today. Hollywood, this is how you do good 3D conversion. Most of the footage in the trailer looks like natively-shot 3D -- and I'm a staunch anti-conversion person. It looks THAT good.

And I have never seen this movie in the theaters. Only on home video and TV airings... but that's going to change come April. This movie deserves to be seen on the biggest screen possible.
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:12 pm

The Dark Knight Rises - I'm a hard core Batman nerd who has loved Nolan's films so far, so I am there.

The Avengers - Yeah, I'm pumped.

We Need to Talk About Kevin - ok, tedhnically a 2011 film, but darn it, I really want to see this.

Coriolanus - ok, again it is technically a 2011 film, but hopefully will play around here at some point.

The Woman in Black - please, PLEASE don't suck.

Chronicle - I am tired of the found footage genre, but the trailers have grabbed my interest.

John Carter - man oh man has the marketing been crap on this one, but I will still give it a shot.

The Raven - yeah, it will probably suck, but I am too much of a Poe nut not too go.

Casa de mi Parde - love or hate Will Ferrell, you have to give him credit for just how different this film looks from his usual work.

The Cabin in the Woods - about. Time.

NOT looking forward to the following:

Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie - its not often I am for the burning of a film's negative, but I can make an exception for the film from this annoying pair.

The Three Stooges - the awful looking film trying to recreate the comedy "magic" of the trio your Uncle swears are brilliant.
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby LarryLockyer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:16 am

Jan 20th
Underworld Awaking
Red Tails
Haywire

February 3
Cronicle
The Women in Black

March 9
John Carter
Raven

March 23
Hunger Games

march 30
Wraith of the Titans
The Pirates! Band of Misfits

Apirl 6
Titanic 3D

April 13
Bullet to the head

May 4
The Avengers

May 25
Men in Black

June 1
Snow White and the huntsmen
Rock of Ages

june 8
Prometheus

june 29
G.I Joe 2

July 20
The Dark Knight rises

August 3
Total Recall

August 17
The Expendable 2

September 14
Resident Evil Retribution

September 21
Dredd

also The Hobbit
LarryLockyer
Paralegal

Postby Gabriel Girard » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:10 am

Django Unchained
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:59 pm

molly1216 wrote:just caught the trailer for Goon and i was only half paying attention until Liev Schreiber showed up - with a mustache right off the face of Derek Sanderson and i burst out laughing hysterically. it won't be Slap Shot but it might be fun for a rental. "old tyme hockey!"
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/goon/

Can't WAIT to see this.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Return to Movies