Theatrical Life

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Theatrical Life

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:55 pm

So I wanted to go see Hugo, checked a website for showings near Montreal and found out that there were only 2 screens playing it in English and 1(!) in French in the suburbs. It's only been out 6 weeks. Then I checked for The Muppets which came out at the same time, 3 screens in English and 2 in French. It's been a long while since I've been to the movies aand I was wondering if 6 weeks was now the normal lifetime for a movie in the theater. Is this the same in the U.S.A or your province?
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Re: Theatrical Life

Postby stypee » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:18 am

They really don't have a "set time" anymore. Theatres just rent the movies out according to projected box office figures. If the movie does well enough than they'll just extend the run.

Out here in the Outer Banks its kind of a pain in the ass. We only have 1 multiplex and an old school movie theatre with 1 screen. That plays movies that have ended their run.

I too wanted to see Hugo - unfortunately I got very, very sick for about a month and by than the movie was gone!

There are a few exceptions as far as "provinces" are concerned. OBX had that last Christian movie playing here for quite awhile, what the heck was it called? I honestly doubt it needed the run they had given it but since this is one of those towns, well, there it is.

Spike Lee, many years ago went on a rant about African American films while I didn't agree with his comment, I will say it applies to ALL movies released.. It goes by economics, the movie doesn't do what the studios wanted it to so advertising gets shorted and the movie just fades away. Spike used the race card and said it happens "with all black films" - this was back in the 90's and than the horrors of Tyler Perry came about... Spike was wrong.
It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you..
-jonathen michael stipe

stypee
City Prosecutor

Re: Theatrical Life

Postby azul017 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:00 am

Gabriel Girard wrote: It's been a long while since I've been to the movies aand I was wondering if 6 weeks was now the normal lifetime for a movie in the theater. Is this the same in the U.S.A or your province?

For quite a few movies, it's less than half that. I work at my local multiplex, and movies that don't do well (or hold a specific demographic) during the first two weeks -- we drop it after the third week. Movies that have a decent hold do last for 6 weeks, which is the norm. I remember two years ago, we had Inception playing up to the second week of October. Not to mention back in 2007 and 2008, we had movies like Stardust, Harry Potter 5 and The Dark Knight for three months or more.

I think the studios' decision to release even the more profitable movies out on DVD/Blu-ray three months after the theatrical release does cut into the length it's in theaters.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Return to Movies