Oscar Nominations

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Oscar Nominations

Postby mavrach » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:13 am

+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: Oscar Nominations

Postby mavrach » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:25 am

I haven't been this bored with the nomination list in a long time. Only a couple of the movies are even on my radar. And this time there's no Avatar-type on the list making me hate humanity either. Some random thoughts:

Meryl Streep was in a movie this year, so she gets her 500th nomination. Since she's considered the greatest actress alive, she gets nominated every time she acts. You'd think that would be worthy of actually giving her the award every now and then. The winner usually says they're awestruck by Streep. They just nominate her for credibility.

Albert Nobbs screams Oscar bait.

George Clooney continues to get nominated for playing George Clooney as a character. The guy is likeable but has zero range. He's the proof that the awards go to the most political and connected actors.

Pixar didn't get nominated for Best Animated FIlm. Not even a nomination for the group that makes the category boring by sweeping it every year. A wakeup call to make more interesting films than sequels to their biggest moneymaker?

Best Song - Only two nominations? And both for kids movies? Surely there were enough original songs written for movies each year. Proof of a worthless category. At least nominate 5 movies so you can show the performances during the telecast.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Kirsten Dunst and Lars von Trier's "Melancholia" were both shot out, as was Michael Fassbender for both "Shame" and Cronenberg's "A Dangerous Method." If it's between "The Artist" and "Hugo" though I'd go with the latter. And how can "Tree of Life" and "War Horse" be nominated for Best Picture but not for writing/directing? :(
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Jim_Thomas » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:44 pm

mavrach wrote:Best Song - Only two nominations? And both for kids movies? Surely there were enough original songs written for movies each year. Proof of a worthless category. At least nominate 5 movies so you can show the performances during the telecast.

Making the category even odder, there were at least two songs from The Muppets better than the one that got nominated: "Pictures in My Head" and "Life's a Happy Song" (which is so freakishly, toe-tappingly infectious that it's scary).

but yeah, in general a pretty meh slate of nominees.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby Andrew Forbes » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:14 pm

mavrach wrote:George Clooney [...] is likeable but has zero range.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? would like a word. He's bona fide!
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby Steve T Power » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:07 pm

I'm refraining from elaboration for fear of being banned.

But yep - that list is rubbish... like Hawk the Slayer rubbish.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby molly1216 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:46 pm

god what a bad year for movies.

Jonah Hill for Money Ball? were they watching the same movie i saw?
i need to stop thinking about this
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby azul017 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Steve T Power wrote:I'm refraining from elaboration for fear of being banned.

But yep - that list is rubbish... like Hawk the Slayer rubbish.

You are right on the money there, Steve. Disgust doesn't even cut it.

I'm tuning out of this one. Either they need to get riskier hosts or throw out the old fogies deciding these nominations.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:29 am

Jim_Thomas wrote:
mavrach wrote:Best Song - Only two nominations? And both for kids movies? Surely there were enough original songs written for movies each year. Proof of a worthless category. At least nominate 5 movies so you can show the performances during the telecast.

Making the category even odder, there were at least two songs from The Muppets better than the one that got nominated: "Pictures in My Head" and "Life's a Happy Song" (which is so freakishly, toe-tappingly infectious that it's scary).

They usually do that too, I mean they nominate multiple songs from the same movie. That's still stupid, again out of the dozens of movies released during the year, surely there are more songs.

But the category itself was never defined. Is it simply for the best-sounding song? Or a song best used in the movie itself? Is it better if the score is structured around the song? What if it's just a song that plays over the end credits?
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:30 am

Andrew Forbes wrote:
mavrach wrote:George Clooney [...] is likeable but has zero range.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? would like a word. He's bona fide!

Yeah but I'd attribute that more to the Coen Bros' quirkiness than something that Clooney would cultivate on his own.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Dunnyman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:22 am

I remember reading several years ago that the reason some films get snubbed is they don't submit themselves for nomination.; if the producer/director don't think it's good enough, it won't get nominated, no matter how many fans it has or how good it might be. I remember people being stunned that Trey Parker got the nomination for song for South Park, but he had the gall to submit it, and he got the nomination. "Blame Canada" was never going to win, but at least he got it in there.
"I ain't a boy, no I'm a man, and I believe in the Promised Land"
-Coming to the USA on January 20, 2009!
Dunnyman
County Attorney

Postby Bryan Pope » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:30 am

Dunnyman wrote:"Blame Canada" was never going to win, but at least he got it in there.

Of course it wasn't. It was the wrong song to nominate. "Uncle F**ka" all the way, man.
Agnes, it's me...Billy.
Bryan Pope
Judge

Postby mavrach » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:49 am

That makes sense too. I always wondered how all the song nominees all happen to be available to perform that day.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Andrew Forbes » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:45 am

J.M. Vargas wrote:And how can "Tree of Life" and "War Horse" be nominated for Best Picture but not for writing/directing? :(

Malick is nominated.
Formerly chamucamel
Andrew Forbes
County Prosecutor

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:04 pm

I still think they are lazy to have so many nominations in the best picture category. I understand that the nominations are officially submitted by content owners and then voted on correct? Can't they just choose the most nominated ones? Obviously they narrow it down some because if they didn't I could nominate my old super 8 movies of the kids in the bath just to get a clip shown on national TV (after submitting it for rating and hiring a theatre to show it of course).

Now that I think about it, why hasn't someone done that? It's be the best joke ever. Bill Gates could afford it.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:11 pm

The 5+ nominee for Best Picture thing has been silly from the start. The ones that aren't nominated for Best Director are clearly the fluff nominees.

And there are always complaints of "how could they nominate X-movie for Best Picture without also nominating its director?" Because it's mathematically impossible, that's why!
mavrach
County Attorney

Return to Movies