The 7th Dawn

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

The 7th Dawn

Postby MovieAddict » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:06 pm

Was looking at The Flower Drum Song on Amazon and The 7th Dawn showed up in the 'Customers who bought this...' bar.

It stars William Holden (one of my favorites) and looks compelling but also came with the following warning from Amazon (I have never seen before):

This product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply.
This disc is expected to play back in DVD Video \"play only\" devices, and may not play in other DVD devices, including recorders and PC drives.

Does anyone own or have seen, is this worth a $20.00 purchase?
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
- C. S. Lewis
MovieAddict
City Attorney

Re: The 7th Dawn

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:00 pm

I've heard of it (Manufactured on Demand), but not used it. Amazon has done it for a while now actually. I seem to recall that some classic Nick shows (Roko's Modern Life springs to mind) were the first offered. It's similar to Warner's Classics line except Warner replicates theirs differently and is less concerned about compatibility issues. Most players should handle DVD-r fine anyway. Those too old to are probably broken by now.

I'm going to mangle this I'm sure but I was told that retail discs are more stamped or carved than burned in the consumer level sense. What difference that makes I'm not sure. Someone started quoting colors to me and when it became apparent he didn't mean laser colors but code terms for different specs my eyes glazed over.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Return to Movies