"Great" films of the last ten years

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

"Great" films of the last ten years

Postby Polynikes » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:34 pm

On the train the other day, I wrote down from memory films I considered "great", not in order of preference, but just as they occurred to me. I reached thirty and paused, and I noted that the only film of the last ten years on my list was "The Lives of Others" and I am not sure that even this fine film would make my top thirty if I thought carefully. Although family and work pressures have made it more difficult for me to get to the cinema in recent years, there also seems to be a dearth of films which compel me to go. The last film I watched at the cinema was Skyfall which I enjoyed and made an effort to see, but I would not call it "an all time great". Yet given that the film industry proper has been going for fewer than hundred years, the law of averages would suggest that several "great" films should have been made in the last ten years. Is this a case of selective memory on my part or suspicion of anything new? Or is it a realistic assessment of recent film making? No one can dispute the advances made in CGI and special effects, but it seems to me that modern filmmakers are much weaker than their counterparts of yesteryear in creating interesting plots, storylines and characters. Who can think of a film made since 2003 which they consider merits serious consideration as an "all time great"?
Polynikes
City Attorney

Re: "Great" films of the last ten years

Postby mavrach » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:43 am

Master and Commander narrowly sneaks in under the 2003 barrier.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead from 2007. I'd only vaguely heard about this one, so once I'd randomly checked it out my first thought was this: If this movie were released in the 1970's, it'd probably be regarded as one of the greatest films ever made. Story, tension, characters, direction, performances, absolutely a perfect movie.

The problem with "great films" of recent years is that only the blockbuster franchises are getting huge exposure. Casual filmgoers will remember the past decade for Harry Potter, Twilight, Transformers, Bourne, Pirates of the Carribean, etc. There are plenty of great movies if you dig deep enough, just don't expect to be able to discuss them with your coworkers at the water cooler.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: "Great" films of the last ten years

Postby Jim_Thomas » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:11 pm

I would at least consider

A History of Violence
No Country for Old Men
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Return to Movies