Guilty Pleasures - silly films you love

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Guilty Pleasures - silly films you love

Postby Polynikes » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:58 pm

Top of my list has to be Armageddon (1998), defiantly and unapologetically brash, silly and over-the-top. It has all the required ingredients of a piece of hokum - stereotypes (good-hearted roughnecks, a slightly mad Russian cosmonaut); dialogue which could not be cornier if it tried, culminating with ("Colonel Willie Sharp, United States Airforce, ma'am. Requesting permission to shake the hand of the daughter of the bravest man I've ever met."); unstable nuclear weapons; disaster avoided against the odds by seconds on several occasions; the unashamed schmaltz of the self-sacrifice which brings a tear to my eye every time I watch it; testosterone oozing from just about every character bar Liv Tyler. I am surprised at the number of film critics who in po-faced fashion pick it apart for its lack of earnestness, the silliness of the science and just about anything else. I think Bruce Willis plays it perfectly, and I can even as a proud British subject forgive the fact that yet again the rest of the world depends you brave citizens of the USA to save the earth. It's pure, naked, unashamed silliness, and I love it.
Polynikes
City Attorney

Re: Guilty Pleasures - silly films you love

Postby hoytereden » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:41 pm

In the same vein-Independence Day. So many eye rolling things in this film that I lose count but almost every time I channel surf and see it on TNT or TBS I stop and watch. Probably the worst/best scene is Bill Pullman's speech to the troops before the final battle. If ever there was a speech like that before I was facing what looked like suicide I'd be heading in the opposite direction! Good fun!!! :D
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby tucco » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:38 am

TOURIST TRAP
DARK NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW
DEATH WISH 3
MR. MAJESTYK
SASQUATCH (77 OR 8)
KISS OF DEATH
LOGAN'S RUN
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby jcankerhuxley » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:45 am

These are mostly older films of the swashbuckler category:

Captain Kidd (1945) - This pirate classic is now in public domain. For all the hoopla Johnny Depp gets for the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series, he is no Charles Laughton, who just oozes Willaim Kidd. Yes this movie has its failures; Randolph Scott is almost camoflage on the deck of a ship because he is so wooden in his portrayal of he lead, etc., (although John Carradine is fun as a Orange Povey). Laughton is just so much fun as Kidd; a pirate captain trying to pass himself off as a gentleman. Even down to the last line (spoiler alert for those who do not know Kidd's demise) he is ready to be hung on the gallows at Portsmouth. A man in the crowd offers to buy a piece of the rope from the hangman. Kidd replies, "Save your money, me lads. You can have it all for nothing if you'll only step up here and wear it!" Awesome.

Buccaneer's Girl (1951) - This is a pirate musical from Freddie "Bedtime for Bonzo" de Cordova. This all should be a steaming pile of dung, but this works as a bunch of watchable fun primarily because of Yvonne de Carlo. She is energetic without being annoying. Oh, and de Carlo was a total babe.

Treasure Island (1950) - IMHO, the Disney version is the best (the worst is the Eddie Izzard abomination from 2012). Again, there are problems with this version (I wish Disney would restore this and use some of its awesome tech to day-for-night scenes), but the story is well in the hands of Robert Newton. For my money, Newton was the best and only Long John Silver. This movie was hard to watch after seeing the documentary Crumb (just see Crumb, and you will know why). However, I have added it back in rotation when available.

While on the Robert Newton kick, I would add Long John Silver (1954). Not as polished as the original, but still has Newton in his signature role. As Judge Eric Harper noted in his review, Newton overacts his part, but he does it well.
[B]uying DVD's is cheaper then spending my money on booze, drugs & hookers -- Harold Gervais
jcankerhuxley
City Attorney

Postby mavrach » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:10 pm

Hackers - The tech is BS but I'd argue that's a metaphor for how hackers see computers
Transformers[/b] - Only the first one
Red Planet -
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby azul017 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:26 pm

Transformers: Dark of the Moon
G.I. Joe Retaliation
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby tucco » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:23 am

also:
MARKED FOR DEATH (Seagal) can't forget that one
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby Mach6 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:29 pm

GI Joe Retaliation: I love it too. It’s basically a $100+ million budgeted live action version of the 80’s cartoon I loved so much as a kid. Cobra Commander having his face plate mask & scratchy voice back brung a smile to my face. I can’t defend the ridiculous plot or Bruce Willis stealing another paycheck, but The Rock’s charisma more than makes up for all its weak points.

Ultraviolet: The CGI effects are God Awful, but everything is so flashy, the action is so overstylized, & Nick Chinlund is chewing up so much scenery as the main villain Vice Cardinal Daxus that I can’t help but like it.

Mortal Kombat
: The performances (especially Lambert & Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa), costumes, & the Goro “puppet” are the definitions of cheesy. The fights delivered & it showed some respect toward the game without any cynical garbage. I still consider it the best movie based on a video game.

Death Race 2000 (1975): A guilty pleasure classic.

Species 1 & 2: Yeah, I even like watching the unnecessary sequel that had the quality of a SyFy weekend movie & hardly any Natasha Henstridge nudity!!!
Mach6
City Attorney

Return to Movies