Jekyl & Hyde ... Together Again

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

Jekyl & Hyde ... Together Again

Postby jcankerhuxley » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:07 pm

Judge Thomas, this was a pretty good review, except for one thing. You did not mention why this movie was made. This was basically a star vehicle for Mark Blankfield, the breakout star of the show Fridays.

What was Friday's kids? Well, long before MAD TV tried its half-assed attempted at challenging SNL, ABC had a west coast show called Fridays. Blankfield did a sketch creatively called the Crazy Pharmacist sketch. You can view it here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z6FYVRn2_cY

Basically he did this same sketch for about fwo or three years. His "just take a pill" became an annoying catch phrase. Fortunately, the plug was pulled and Fridays went off the air, forcing their only two good assets, Michael Richards and Larry David to do something constructive.

The only redeeming thing about Fridays were the bands. The Clash pre Combat Rock, the Plasmatics, Devo with treadmills, the Stray Cats first American show, and the Jam shortly before Peter Weller was consumed by his own rectum.
[B]uying DVD's is cheaper then spending my money on booze, drugs & hookers -- Harold Gervais
jcankerhuxley
City Attorney

Re: Jekyl & Hyde ... Together Again

Postby Kenneth Morgan » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:18 pm

I remember "Fridays". As I recall, it had it's moments. From what I've understood, the show still has a following that has wanted a DVD release for a while now. Rumor has it that Michael Richards has been standing in the way, rights-wise.
-30-
Kenneth Morgan
City Prosecutor

Postby Jim_Thomas » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:00 am

I had spotted Fridays in Blankfield's IMDb listing, but I didn't know about the crazy pharmacist; that would explain how he was able to throw himself into they Hyde role so completely.

I remember that series only vaguely, though.

Thanks for the kind words.
Jim_Thomas
Judge

Postby Canius » Sat May 23, 2009 1:27 am

I agree that it certainly is one memorable comedy . I remember seeing it vaguely in the 80s .. alas USA aired the CENSORED version...
Believe me Critics TRASHED it (Roger Ebert) .. but I for one have a love/ like view of it...

I still get a kick of some of the scenes "RAPE RAPE" "If I have time" and the guy getting his "Thing cut off and HYDE "accidentally kicking his "Crotch"
Canius
Law Clerk

Return to Verdict Feedback