Milk

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

Milk

Postby mackjay » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:25 am

Mr Cullum's review is excellent and I agree with him on all points

Just one comment:
"My only beef with the film is I wonder where all the gay actors are"

I thought of this too, and there is a certain irony in that there are some gay actors playing straight in this film. One is openly gay Dennis O'Hare, who plays Senator Briggs. Stephen Spinella is also openly gay, he plays Rick Stokes. And a third actor I believe to be gay plays a prominent role, I'm not sure if I should name him if he is not "open" on IMDb

Thanks for a great review, handsome Brett!
mackjay
Law Clerk

Re: Milk

Postby BrettCullum » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:14 pm

(Blush)... thanks!

Yeah, and they cut most of Stephen Spinella's role. Rick Stokes was actually kinda let down when he saw the final cut and realized he was not in there. I also think I know who you are talking about for the big name who may not be out.

It's a double standard in Hollywood that you can not be gay and be a successful big name actor. You can certainly direct, produce, write music, create screenplays... whatever! And if you are straight you will win an Academy Award for playing gay! But there are no out and proud actors who get these kinds of roles. Wouldn't Harvey Milk find it odd that a straight man decided to play him? I mean of course Sean Penn married Madonna and got to kiss James Franco ... he's living the gay dream but come on. LOL!!
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Postby mackjay » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:11 am

Hi Brett

As for Penn, I can agree about James Franco, but not the marriage part (Yuck. Guess I am not a good gay guy. I can't stand that woman)

Anyway, I agree about the double standard thing. In England and elsewhere it seems an actor--even a prominent one--being out is not a big deal. They play gay, straight, etc without much comment from the public in England, for example.
But in the US it's another matter altogether. We have a culture that is seriously obsessed with masculinity in a very narrow sense of the term. I have always thought the biggest problem that some straight people have with gay men is that they see us being like women (ie, not masculine) and that is something they refuse to accept or identify with. I couldn't count the number of times I have heard a straight guy say he'd not have guessed someone was gay because the person did not display stereoptypical mannerisms. I try to explain that such mannerisms are surface, learned, acquired behaviors that really have nothing to do with one's sexual preference [or whatever term you might "prefer" :)]. It's a big deal, in this country, to know or not know whether someone (especially a male) is gay. People can watch an actor like James Gandofini play a killer and think nothing of it, but if he plays gay....oh my God, what is happening?!... Maybe if we had an openly gay president it would help...Not likely in my lifetime..:)

Well, sorry for the rant. Keep the great reviews and comments coming!

Jay
mackjay
Law Clerk

Postby Gabriel Girard » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:29 pm

I'm curious Brett - which openly gay actor would you have chosen to play Harvey Milk?
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby BrettCullum » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:13 pm

Gabriel Girard wrote:I'm curious Brett - which openly gay actor would you have chosen to play Harvey Milk?

You've got me there since openly gay actors are hard to find. And I wouldn't necessarily cast the lead with somebody who is not an established name, but... there are plenty of supporting roles that could have easily been filled with GLBT actors and actresses. For Harvey Milk himself you'd need a certain ability to become him, and that's tough. Sean Penn is excellent in the role there is no denying it, the man took home the Oscar for it. But surely casting agents could have found good solid choices...

But like I said... Penn is practically gay with the Madonna thing going for him and making out with James Franco. I'm willing to issue an honorary rainbow card to get him on the Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boatride!
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen. (Clockwork Orange)
BrettCullum
Judge

Return to Verdict Feedback