Galaxy Quest

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

Galaxy Quest

Postby Paul Kile » Thu May 28, 2009 10:06 am

I must admit that this feedback does not disagree with Daniel Kelly's review of Galaxy Quest, however his statement that "The world should hate Tim Allen" is jarring. Especially when Mr. Kelly provides no evidence for his opinion. He describes Allen as "irksome", but goes no further.

Tim Allen is a guy's comedian whose success is that he taps in to "guy" things without stooping to shock profanity or ethnic stereotyping. Anybody who has ever tried to get their car to go faster than stock, or traipsed off to Sears for a Craftsman Tool fix can identify with his humor. Sure, he can get a little gross at times (he coined the term "Vurps" for vomit-burps), but his heart is in the right place.

He was at his best during his TV series Home Improvement. In a time when TV shows were all about agonistic family relationships, here was a guy who would do stupid things, cause the disaster of the week, but deep down he cared about his family. My favorite episode was when he taught his oldest son to use a cutting torch while working on the hot rod. That brought me back to my childhood with my Dad, patiently teaching me about what was under the hood, and starting me on a life of car enthusiasm.

So don't dismiss Tim Allen out of hand, he has provided a lot of enjoyment to a lot of people over the years.
Cheers,
Paul Kile
My collection: http://www.dvdspot.com/member=PaulKile
Paul Kile
City Attorney

Re: Galaxy Quest

Postby molly1216 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:32 pm

funny aside from Galaxy Quest I am kinda in loathe with Tim Allen. I think most of his films will not hold up over time...except...for Galaxy Quest. I can't even imagine another actor in the role except maybe Shatner himself...now THAT would have been hysterical.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby mavrach » Fri May 29, 2009 1:50 am

Tim Allen strikes me as somebody who could make more mature movies if he wanted to. He generally makes only children's movies like The Santa Clause. He's so associated with kids movies, that when Galaxy Quest was released, it went under my radar because I thought it was just another kids movie, it was marketed that way.

Between Galaxy Quest and Red Belt I could see Tim Allen going a different route with his career.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Movie Mike » Sat May 30, 2009 8:54 am

For films like Zoom and the horrible remake of The Shaggy Dog he'll have to do ten more films of the Galaxy Quest quality before I forgive him.
Movie Mike
City Attorney

Return to Verdict Feedback