Air Force One (Blu-ray) Review

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

Air Force One (Blu-ray) Review

Postby cdouglas » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:46 am

Hey Dave,

Fun review of Air Force One! I haven't seen it in a long time; you've made me want to give it another look.

You mentioned Jerry Goldsmith's generic score. Originally, Randy Newman wrote a really fantastic score for the film. Alas, it was thrown out at the last minute (rumors abound regard the reason, one of which is that Petersen felt Newman was attempting to slyly satirize his movie), so Goldsmith was hauled in to write a replacement score. Unfortunately, he only had about three weeks to do so, so he frantically put together some all-American bombast and hired Joel McNeely to write some of the less interesting passages (McNeely scored about 1/3rd of the film). So, that would be the reason for the less-than-inspired nature of the score.

- Your Friendly Neighborhood Jerry Goldsmith Apologist
cdouglas
Judge

Re: Air Force One (Blu-ray) Review

Postby Dave Johnson » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:54 am

Thanks Clark!

Consider Mr. Goldsmith's record untainted (don't want to short-change the guy who put together the 13th Warrior score!)
Dave Johnson
Judge

Re: Air Force One (Blu-ray) Review

Postby cdouglas » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:00 am

Dave Johnson wrote:Thanks Clark!

Consider Mr. Goldsmith's record untainted (don't want to short-change the guy who put together the 13th Warrior score!)

I'm not sure I can go quite that far... have you ever heard his score for Mr. Baseball? :)
cdouglas
Judge

Return to Verdict Feedback