The Nativity Story

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

The Nativity Story

Postby sRGB » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:24 pm

In response to the following criticism:

"Mary's portrayal was by far the most disappointing aspect of the film, […] going against what makes Mary such a revered figure in the Christian faith."

I think it's fair to point out that Mary is revered (as distinct from being simply recognized for her role) by the Catholic Church, and not by Christians as a whole. I personally found few problems with the way Mary was portrayed, though I do perhaps agree with your comment that, "her strength is sold short."

In response to the following criticism:

"I would have appreciated more from Herod and his soldiers as well."

I think the script was right to avoid diluting the central story to include individual tales of conscience or morality. This film is about one child's journey from conception to birth, and the struggles of Mary and Joseph to accomplish the desired outcome. Seen from that perspective, surely you would agree that showing "one or two of the soldiers [having] a problem with [the slaughter of all male children under two years of age in Bethlehem]" would have been entirely irrelevant.

In the end, I agree with your conclusion ("A good movie but not a great one") only for slightly different reasons.

S.
sRGB
Law Clerk

Return to Verdict Feedback