Error in Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead Review

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

Error in Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead Review

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:05 am

Just finished the excellent review of PotD by Eric Profancik and just wanted to say it summed up my feelings perfectly.

However, one error I did notice. The shortened series was not made to accomodate David Tennant. According to RTD in his book "The Writer's Tale" the specials are part of a long term plan designed to prevent Doctor Who burn out on the part of the audience and help transition in the new production team. David Tennant simply was able to take advantage of the specials to do other things, such as Hamlet.

But again, excellent review!
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Re: Error in Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead Review

Postby Eric Profancik » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:23 pm

the5thghostbuster wrote:Just finished the excellent review of PotD by Eric Profancik and just wanted to say it summed up my feelings perfectly.

However, one error I did notice. The shortened series was not made to accomodate David Tennant. According to RTD in his book "The Writer's Tale" the specials are part of a long term plan designed to prevent Doctor Who burn out on the part of the audience and help transition in the new production team. David Tennant simply was able to take advantage of the specials to do other things, such as Hamlet.

Hmmm, well first, thank you for the kind words. Second, I'll take your word on the error. I haven't read his book but I've only heard what I wrote. I never heard the other explanation - which, if you ask me, is a load of rubbish. Burnout after 4 seasons? Rubbish! Give me more!

Thanks again.
Eric Profancik
Judge

Postby the5thghostbuster » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Eric Profancik wrote:
the5thghostbuster wrote:Just finished the excellent review of PotD by Eric Profancik and just wanted to say it summed up my feelings perfectly.

Hmmm, well first, thank you for the kind words. Second, I'll take your word on the error. I haven't read his book but I've only heard what I wrote. I never heard the other explanation - which, if you ask me, is a load of rubbish. Burnout after 4 seasons? Rubbish! Give me more!

Thanks again.

Well, it does make a certain amount of sense, though I understand how you feel. Given Who's resurged popularity in the UK, the chance of audience burn out is a possibility. Still, even with that a aside, it does make sense to allow the new show runners a chance to get set and prepped for their run with the same advantage as RTD had when it came back to make their plans and take their time getting it right. As much as I want more Who, I'll gladly wait if it means great Who :)
the5thghostbuster
County Attorney

Postby HGervais » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:14 am

Ghostbuster is right. RTD has been saying for almost 2 years now the break has been planned.
"The most dementing of all modern sins: the inability to distinquish excellence from success."-David Hare
HGervais
Judge

Return to Verdict Feedback